PDA

View Full Version : 14 dead sheep

concerned resident
21-Apr-12, 18:24
Very sad to see that people still cannot control there dogs, reading of how 14 Sheep were killed near watten on Wednesday and police are looking for information.
Hope the farmer is insured, as this will be very expensive incident.

snow tiger
21-Apr-12, 18:27
It said in paper today that they were waiting for lab tests to confirm if it was a dog or a fox !

arat
21-Apr-12, 20:08
thank you snow tiger for keeping us right

Frith
22-Apr-12, 22:20
Can dogs really do that much damage, surely they would kill one, and eat it, and that would be that?

Also I thought a cornered sheep would try to lash out a bit?

sids
22-Apr-12, 22:23
Can dogs really do that much damage, surely they would kill one, and eat it, and that would be that?

Also I thought a cornered sheep would try to lash out a bit?

I suggest you read up on sheep worrying.

GLENELG
22-Apr-12, 23:00
The sooner they find out who the owner or owners are of those dogs get them put down wright away if not they will do the same again,they are far to many Dogs disturbing Sheep.I am sorry for the person who owned those Lambs.

Moira
22-Apr-12, 23:29
The sooner folk who post threads of this type give us a link to the official report of the incident the better.

Until then there is no point in debating the issue, is there?

golach
22-Apr-12, 23:38
its in 'e 'groat Moira

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/14-sheep-killed-and-five-injured-at-Watten-20042012.htm

Dadie
22-Apr-12, 23:54
The truth will out ..if not sooner then later ...then all will know!

Gronnuck
22-Apr-12, 23:55
Perhaps it is time to remind Dog owners of the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953. It is worth remembering that if a walk takes you near grazing livestock it's always common sense to keep your dog on a lead. If you don't, it's worth bearing in mind that the law allows farmers and landowners to shoot dogs that are worrying livestock, or sue the owner for any damage. The law allows for any dog having caused injury to livestock to be put down. Ignorance is no excuse.

GLENELG
23-Apr-12, 00:17
The sooner folk who post threads of this type give us a link to the official report of the incident the better.

Until then there is no point in debating the issue, is there?Nearley all people that belong to Caithness read the local papers.

Dadie
23-Apr-12, 00:23
Im local to Caithness and dont buy the local rag everytime as its the same stuff spit out after another...and another.....

Moira
23-Apr-12, 00:26
Not everyone logging onto the forums has access to and/or read the local papers, hence my observation.

GLENELG
23-Apr-12, 00:31
[QUOTE=Gronnuck;946263]Perhaps it is time to remind Dog owners of the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953. It is worth remembering that if a walk takes you near grazing livestock it's always common sense to keep your dog on a lead. If you don't, it's worth bearing in mind that the law allows farmers and landowners to shoot dogs that are worrying livestock, or sue the owner for any damage. The law allows for any dog having caused injury to livestock to be put down. Ignorance is no excuse.[/QUOTEVery well said Gronnuck]

concerned resident
23-Apr-12, 10:35
Hi Moira, sorry i did not supply link, article is in Donaldsins Driary, articles from Local reporter Noel Dondaldson on Caithness org. i hope this is a satisfactory offical report.

Ballymore
23-Apr-12, 14:08
About 5 years ago we had 15 pregnant ewes chased by 2 dogs (owners of course denied it was their dogs...and no proof could be obtained) - only 3 of the ewes carried their lambs full term. 3 years ago a lamb was mauled to death by a dog, witnessed. The dog owners in Watten (yes, ignorant village dwellers who don't understand farming life and can't control their dogs) should be banned from having more dogs as this is apparently not the first time this had happened (so I heard today) and they should pay the farmer the cost of replacing those sheep. I love dogs but totally agree that dogs like these should be put down.

BlueSkies
23-Apr-12, 16:26
About 5 years ago we had 15 pregnant ewes chased by 2 dogs (owners of course denied it was their dogs...and no proof could be obtained) - only 3 of the ewes carried their lambs full term. 3 years ago a lamb was mauled to death by a dog, witnessed. The dog owners in Watten (yes, ignorant village dwellers who don't understand farming life and can't control their dogs) should be banned from having more dogs as this is apparently not the first time this had happened (so I heard today) and they should pay the farmer the cost of replacing those sheep. I love dogs but totally agree that dogs like these should be put down.

So I take it is has been proven that it was dogs? Because my personal opinion is that if it were dogs, why would it only be lambs that were injured and not sheep, as it said in the paper it was 14 lambs that were killed. Is it not more likely that a fox would be behind the incident?? Hear say is not always fact, we should remember that.

crayola
23-Apr-12, 16:48
I expected this thread to be about the men that run Bord na Gaidhlig. Or Highland Council. Or even Alex, Nicola, Kenny & Co in Bute House.

silverfox57
23-Apr-12, 17:02
so very true as the farmer has poster in watten shop window, and says 14 lambs,but is asking did anyone see dog or dogs on weds in field on to get in touch with police.

Ballymore
23-Apr-12, 18:03
Just going by what was said in donaldson diary thread (As copied below) - no mention of lambs. Unfortunately we have had lambs killed by foxes too.

Fourteen ewes killed near Watten

WICK police are appealing for witnesses in connection with an incident of sheep worrying.
Between 1430 hours and 1930 hours on Wednesday 18th April 2012, fourteen sheep were killed and five were left injured, in a field at Watten, close to the village hall.
Anyone who may have any information regarding this incident or seen anything suspicious is urged to call Wick Police Station 01955 603551. Information can also be left anonymously by using CRIMESTOPPERS 0800 555111

BlueSkies
23-Apr-12, 18:31
There also appears to be no mention of dogs in this thread either. Going by what was written in your first post leads me to believe that you are assuming dogs were behind the attack, an unfair assumption considering there is no suitable evidence as of yet.

Ballymore
23-Apr-12, 19:18
You are right - there is no mention of dogs but "sheep worrying" usually refers to dogs - it could have been idiots on quad bikes racing around the sheep. Foxes don't usually leave 14 bodies but dogs do.....foxes don't chase 14 ewes to death, but dogs can.....so the assumption is that is was dogs even though there was no clear evidence.

BlueSkies
23-Apr-12, 19:49
I do agree with you, foxes do not usually leave their prey, but it is still a possibility and that's just one of them. I personally do not think people should be accusing others until they have accurate proven facts. It is verging on slander to the owners in watten involved in the previous incident which you earlier referred to. Without evidence comments like these are completely unjust.

Moira
23-Apr-12, 21:17
Hi Moira, sorry i did not supply link, article is in Donaldsins Driary, articles from Local reporter Noel Dondaldson on Caithness org. i hope this is a satisfactory offical report.

Thank you for replying, I guess your references to "Donaldsins Driary" etc. were typos. That's fine.

Your OP was not, IMO, for reasons I've already stated.

As others on this thread have pointed out, you are jumping to conclusions for which there is no evidence, so far.....

Sinclair72
24-Apr-12, 14:56
the police certainly think it was dogs as my friends where accused of it being theirs but thankfully they can prove that it was not. i hope they find out what it was as i know my friends are having an awful time with many a person in watten accusing them even though the police have said that they are no longer suspects.

Bambii
24-Apr-12, 15:31
In my honest opinion, i believe that nosey villagers, and townspeople alike, should really leave the situation to the farmer(s) involved, people with solid evidence, and witnesses, I'm shocked and appalled at the number of people quick to point fingers. I myself have seen plenty of unattended dogs in and around the Watten area, and believe that no one person is to blame for this (at this moment in time). So until the identity of the animal(s) in question is discovered, its my point of view, that people should leave well alone, and leave it to the professionals to continue this investigation. By all means though, If it really concerns you, and you really want to be a part of something, go to University, Get your degree, and on you go and join the law enforcement career, because, if it's so easy to "put 2 and 2 together" (as i've heard people ridiculously remark), it begs the question, why haven't the police done something about it?

golach
24-Apr-12, 15:45
I hope when and if they do catch the dog (if it is a dog) responsible, that it is put down immediately and the owners are made to pay for the full market price of the Lambs. Dogs that get a taste for worrying sheep never lose that, and must be shot.
I was brought up as a farm labourers son, and have seen the damage the Farmers pet dog did to my Bantams, the Farmer immediately shot it, even tho' it was his childrens pet, he explained to me that the dog had got a taste for feathers and nothing would cure it of killing chickens.

Sinclair72
25-Apr-12, 19:16
so my friends (who were accused by some village idiot) have heard from the police that the dna results came back and it was a dog that killed the sheep but thankfully it proved that it wasnt any of theirs. someone would know if it was theirs as i would imagine the dog would be covered in the sheeps blood?