PDA

View Full Version : Sports me and my friend could do!

horselover
21-Apr-12, 16:30
Well me and my friend

me : 11
Friend : 12

Are looking for a sport / hobby we could do. :) Any suggestions? We Love horses but its too expensive for us at the moment :(

Thanks! :D

dirdyweeker
21-Apr-12, 16:33
Not a sport but keeps you active......Geocaching!http://www.geocaching.com/

Iffy
21-Apr-12, 17:12
Do you know anyone near to you both who has horses/ponies?
If so, how about offering to muck out the stable / clean the tack / feed the horses, etc. in return for a couple of hours of free horse riding a week ?

Or, how about volunteering, with your parents permission, for something like helping out a neighbour with shopping / weeding gardens, etc. in return for a few pounds, or whatever they could afford to give you both. Once you have a bit of money accumulated then you could go off on a day-trip somewhere that would involve horses.

Or, once again by getting your parents permission, you could both possibly help out at your local youth club or swimming bath's - eg - helping the wee ones to swim, or playing table tennis with a wee girl or boy who is too shy to ask anyone else to "partner" them. This way you would be helping those who need it and also getting involved in your community.

If you could get a little group of you together, even just 3 or 4 girls and boys from your class at school (with help from your teacher) and begin a "club" of your very own ! Maybe your school or Youth Club would let you use their premises for free and you could begin a whole new "adventure club" for others of your age. If a teacher or parent would be willing to help you out, then they could find out about fund-raising - things like a "Bric-A-Brac stall" / Bring and Buy Sale or just bake wee cakes to sell.

If, through your "New Adventure Club", you could raise some money, then you could maybe have a "Camp Night" for Summer Soltice. With adult supervision you could "camp" out on the beach and have a barbecue and games.

Just a few ideas for you and your friend.

Wishing you lots and lots of luck, horselover !

John Little
21-Apr-12, 17:15
Cycling's good - you get all your exercise sitting down!

rich62_uk
21-Apr-12, 17:21
Karate in both Wick and Thurso is cheap to attend and good fun.

Iffy
21-Apr-12, 17:35
P/S Maybe you and your friend could make some "Rag Rugs" ?

Here are some instructions : -

YOU WILL NEED...
Scissors and any "odd bits" of material (like old shirts or tablecloths, etc.)
1. First, cut all of the material/fabric into 2-inch-wide strips. Make the strips as long as possible. Cut the arms of shirts into strips as well, and set aside these shorter strips (approximately 6 inches long).

2 Tie long strips together end to end to create 3 large strips. Each strip should be several yards long.

3. Lay the 3 large strips on a flat surface parallel to one another. Tie the 3 strips together in a tight knot at one end.

4. Starting at the knot, braid the 3 large strips together by picking up the strip on the far right and crossing it over the center strip. Lay it down between the center and left strips. Pick up the strip on the far left and lay it between the center and right strips. Repeat this process until the entire length of the strips is braided. Tie the end of the braid in a tight knot. The braid should be loose enough that you can easily push a finger between the strips of fabric.

5 Hold one knotted end in your hand, and with your other hand, begin loosely curling the braid around the knot. Stop when you have made one complete flat circle.

6 Use one of the short strips to "sew" the circle in place. Use one finger to push the end of a short strip up through the braid close to the knot. Push the other end of the same strip up through the curled section of braid. Tightly tie a double knot with the two ends of the short strip.

7 Repeat Steps 5 and 6, making larger and larger circles until you come to the end of the braided strip. Connect the circles of the rug (http://forum.caithness.org/#) together every 4 to 6 inches with the short strip ties. To finish the rug, tie the knotted end to the outside edge of the rug with a short strip.

joxville
21-Apr-12, 23:45
Not a sport but keeps you active......Geocaching!http://www.geocaching.com/I too was going to suggest that. It needn't be expensive, you can download the app to most smartphones.

Dadie
22-Apr-12, 00:17
May I suggest Guides or Scouts or the girls brigade or JAM club or the equivalent or the youth club or the youth section of the dramas clubs ......That way you can explore different outlets for your enthusiasim as well as get a qualification that will help your cv in years a D of E bronze at 12 and after that up to gold award which encompasses a sport and community spirit and a expedition etc..and needs dedication to complete.........so many weeks at the excersise etc..