PDA

View Full Version : Suspended - Helicopter Hero

Garnet
20-Apr-12, 18:22
The helicopter crew stopped off in Orkney for some meat...after a training excersise and are suspended since some idiot put it on you-tube no doubt thinking 'what a scoop', I hope he/she's proud of themself. [disgust] These guys put their lives on the line day in day out surely to heavens it's not a crime to do this as there was no emergency pending, after all didn't our '2nd in line' stop off for 'TEA' at his home with one of our defence 'copters' and he wasn't suspended..so what's good for the goose is surely good for the gander. So what's your oppinion.....remember...no emergency pending and money's squandered elsewhere...like 'duck houses'

Yon Chiel
20-Apr-12, 19:17
It's a disgrace - he could have let me know and picked up some of that smoked cheese for me that you can't seem to get in the shops here.

Rheghead
20-Apr-12, 21:20
He shouldn't have done it but a bit disproportionate if he has been suspended. A ticking off would have been sufficient.

pig whisperer
20-Apr-12, 21:56
Smoked Orkney Cheese is available from Caithness Smokehouse they will be at Bower Spring Market on Sunday

Yon Chiel
20-Apr-12, 22:20
Smoked Orkney Cheese is available from Caithness Smokehouse they will be at Bower Spring Market on Sunday

Brilliant - I love your entrepreneurial opportunism - full marks.

Is it the Grimbister one ?

Garnet
21-Apr-12, 00:20
I agree Rheghead a ticking off would have sufficed, is the chap who did the suspension...snowwhite I wonder, glad we got the 'cheese' bit out of the way tho, thanks for that pig whisperer. :lol:

Aaldtimer
21-Apr-12, 03:12
Puzzled as to why he needed meat from Orkney...there are butchers in Shetland surely...or was it reestit mutton?:confused

sassylass
21-Apr-12, 04:39
Do you not think it's all about disobeying orders? They are probably using him as an example for others.

Phill
21-Apr-12, 09:56
Hero! The 'finest' fillet steak eating 'hero' pilot (who is patently overpaid) is just another employee abusing company transport for his obscene £400 personal butchery trips.
I can understand why his bosses have the beef with him, those machines he obviously jollies about in cost £3000 per hour to run, and just randomly landing in fields is just dangerous in itself, putting livestock at steak.

chef4celebrations
21-Apr-12, 11:23
Just for your info and to stop any malicious gossip, the team WERE on a training exercise at the time, not as the press indicated, plus it was stores for the COASTGUARD STATION that they were picking up, not personal shopping as some have indicated, and as to the presence of livestock non around for some distance, it was a rough landing in a field close to the shoreline, just as they would do if they had to pick up injured or other personel if on a shout. Plus that field was chosen not randomly picked.so if anyone should be suspended it should be the station manager for authorising it, after all I do not think they fly of the radar, and follow traffic control instructions, so this flight must be planned before by management as any deviation of flight plan would send alarm bells ringing.

Alrock
21-Apr-12, 11:26
.... those machines he obviously jollies about in cost £3000 per hour to run ....

I'm sure he stopped whilst just passing so would have been costing that anyway....
No different to a van driver stopping to pop into the butchers whilst passing, nothing wrong with that is there?

sids
21-Apr-12, 11:53
Are they part of the armed services? Of what possible value are any comments by me, on their disciplinary code?

My grand-dad said he wouldn't have minded being suspended, when the Germans were trying to gas them.

Phill
22-Apr-12, 11:45
I really am udderly amazed at all the bleating about this, and he will no doubt get a slap around the chops for this.

Fisherbigin
22-Apr-12, 14:01
Just for your info and to stop any malicious gossip, the team WERE on a training exercise at the time, not as the press indicated, plus it was stores for the COASTGUARD STATION that they were picking up, not personal shopping as some have indicated, and as to the presence of livestock non around for some distance, it was a rough landing in a field close to the shoreline, just as they would do if they had to pick up injured or other personel if on a shout. Plus that field was chosen not randomly picked.so if anyone should be suspended it should be the station manager for authorising it, after all I do not think they fly of the radar, and follow traffic control instructions, so this flight must be planned before by management as any deviation of flight plan would send alarm bells ringing.

Well said,it goes to show that some people just don't have any idea the work these chopper crews do,only last week they saved the lives of five fishermen north of Cape Wrath after their boat took fire,i would'nt think the fishermen would grudge them a nice Orkney steak,as you said they were on a training exercise

oldmarine
22-Apr-12, 17:25
Do you not think it's all about disobeying orders? They are probably using him as an example for others.
Disobeying orders can get one into serious trouble. I can speak from my military experience.

Garnet
22-Apr-12, 18:42
Heavens oldmarine, surely never :roll:, you in trouble!!! go on...tell, be a devil...lol xxx;)

linnie612
22-Apr-12, 21:02
"Hero" or not, he used the company vehicle to go and get some dinner.. and got caught...:roll:

Walter Ego
23-Apr-12, 06:33
They were at Kirkwall airport at the end of an exercise and had the audacity to travel about 3km from said airport to Tankerness (premises of Craigies' Butchers) before returning to Sumburgh.

Corrie 3
23-Apr-12, 08:48
They were at Kirkwall airport at the end of an exercise and had the audacity to travel about 3km from said airport to Tankerness (premises of Craigies' Butchers) before returning to Sumburgh.
Reminds me of the Polish bus driver in Birmingham who used his bus to move a fridge for one of his mates........... while the passengers were still on board!!!
I think one of the passengers took umbrage at the de-tour and reported him.
I cant remember what happened to him but I don't think he was sacked!!

C3...........;)

Phill
23-Apr-12, 09:31
They were at Kirkwall airport at the end of an exercise and had the audacity to travel about 3km from said airport to Tankerness (premises of Craigies' Butchers) before returning to Sumburgh.But it was an unauthorised Moovement!

linnie612
23-Apr-12, 14:16
Personally, I'm not really bothered that they nipped off to get some scran. However, now it is in the public domain, things have to be "seen to be done". You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't...

Garnet
24-Apr-12, 00:52
It now seems that there's a petition on the go to have the pilot reinstated...there's over 1,000 signatures already...where do I sign up...anyone know?

ducati
24-Apr-12, 09:17
Personally, I'm not really bothered that they nipped off to get some scran. However, now it is in the public domain, things have to be "seen to be done". You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't...

Well no, they wouldn't be dammed if they didn't.

Phill
24-Apr-12, 09:39
Here's where you can go an' put yer hoofprint:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-the-shetland-coastguards-pilots-job/signatures

And the BookFace thingy:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/savethepilot/

In all seriousness its worth bearing in mind what has actually happened and who this guy is employed by (note: employed, he ain't been sacked).

Southern-Gal
24-Apr-12, 11:09
I cant see what difference it makes really. Dont they have to do so many flying hours and training? Its all good practise and keeps the machines used, whether they are on an official training run or doing a bit extra they need regular practise.
Hopefully behind the scenes he is being told they are just having to look like they are doing something and that he should not worry. That and dont get caught again :)

mi16
24-Apr-12, 13:01
I cant see the uproar here at all.
Emergency service or not, if he was flying without following due procedures then he deserves the disiplinary proceedings.

linnie612
24-Apr-12, 14:26

Well no, they wouldn't be dammed if they didn't.

Well yes, actually. I was referring to whoever had to discipline them, or not discipline them.

Walter Ego
26-Apr-12, 18:57
I'd say the reason many folk are a tad annoyed by this is that the 'company' over-reacted in suspending the pilot.
If they'd put out a statement saying that they were looking into the matter and that the pilot may be disciplined over it, then they would have avoided all the negative publicity that they have created for themselves by trying to avoid negative publicity for themselves.

Take gun, point at foot, pull trigger.