PDA

View Full Version : Yvette Cooper and the Bahrain Gran Prix

ducati
20-Apr-12, 07:37
She should think long and hard about calling for British drivers to withdraw.

Actions of her party and former boss would give plenty of reasons to boycott the London Olympics.

Big Gaz
20-Apr-12, 11:42
According to the news, theres quite a few countries now considering boycotting the olympics. India (Dow chemicals sponsorship issue) are on a yes-no-yes-no decision, Argentina (Falklands issues) claim they won't? erm, who said they would? Russian Federation (assassination on the diplomat issues) are pushing for special priviledges or they will consider a pull-out and even our own Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols.....erm whoooooo? so last century......are boycotting the ceremony. Would be a poke in the eye for the govt though if they all did! All that wasted money.....oh wait...it's already wasted.....bah, i'm putting the kettle on....

squidge
20-Apr-12, 12:16
I think that the fact that Formula one is even running the event there is distasteful. It gives the Bahraini government the chance to strut its stuff on the world stage and it helps to give the impression of a legitimate regime whilst people are being killed for demonstrating for the right to choose their own government.

I think the whole event should be cancelled and I think that, whilst from a diplomatic point of view Theresa May may not want to call for the British team to withdraw, her department should be working behind the scenes to ensure that Formula one are advised that their actions endanger the lives of the people in that country who are desperate to choose their own government.

If people die thorugh demonstrating this weekend then Formula One must hold itself responsible inpart for their deaths.

ducati
20-Apr-12, 15:35
I think that the fact that Formula one is even running the event there is distasteful. It gives the Bahraini government the chance to strut its stuff on the world stage and it helps to give the impression of a legitimate regime whilst people are being killed for demonstrating for the right to choose their own government.

I think the whole event should be cancelled and I think that, whilst from a diplomatic point of view Theresa May may not want to call for the British team to withdraw, her department should be working behind the scenes to ensure that Formula one are advised that their actions endanger the lives of the people in that country who are desperate to choose their own government.

If people die thorugh demonstrating this weekend then Formula One must hold itself responsible inpart for their deaths.

I think old Bernie will disagree with you there. And my objection to Ms Cooper's and now Ed M's objection is that they had plenty of opportunity, it was being discussed and decided weeks ago and if they want to be holier than thou they probably shouldn't have sold them all those weapons.

squidge
20-Apr-12, 18:24
I think old Bernie will disagree with you there. And my objection to Ms Cooper's and now Ed M's objection is that they had plenty of opportunity, it was being discussed and decided weeks ago and if they want to be holier than thou they probably shouldn't have sold them all those weapons.You are absolutely right on both counts, however, i still think it should not be going ahead.

mi16
21-Apr-12, 19:32
Bunch of bloody boy racers anyway, blah blah blah Grumble grumble grumbleDeserve all that's coming to them

joxville
21-Apr-12, 23:14
Sport (mostly) unites the world, politics divide it. Maybe politicians should try do their job properly instead of expecting sportsmen and women to do it for them.

rogermellie
22-Apr-12, 01:29
Sport (mostly) unites the world, politics divide it. Maybe politicians should try do their job properly instead of expecting sportsmen and women to do it for them.

normally i would agree with this sentiment, but this is completely driven by cold hard cash. there are no morals here and the drivers are too cowardly to support the principle of democracy by saying no because they know they'd be finished.

but Vettel's response ...

talking about the violence in Bahrain, Vettel said "it is not a big problem and i am happy once we start testing tomorrow because then we can start worrying about the stuff that really matters like tyre temperatures and cars".

toeing the party line (Bernie's) is one thing, but coming out with something as crass and insensitive as this really grinds my gears.

Bernie's regime at F1 seems just as tyrannous as any dictators

the only good thing of the F1 going ahead in Bahrain is that it's shone the spotlight on the plight of the Bahraini people, unfortunately these unrepresented people will be murdered for protesting during the weekend.

how would you feel if you were a Bahraini, believing that the whole world doesn't care about or even believe in your oppression?

vive la revolution, long live the Bahraini people and let's keep the spotlight on them and their oppression.

ducati
22-Apr-12, 08:35
normally i would agree with this sentiment, but this is completely driven by cold hard cash. there are no morals here and the drivers are too cowardly to support the principle of democracy by saying no because they know they'd be finished.

but Vettel's response ...

talking about the violence in Bahrain, Vettel said "it is not a big problem and i am happy once we start testing tomorrow because then we can start worrying about the stuff that really matters like tyre temperatures and cars".

toeing the party line (Bernie's) is one thing, but coming out with something as crass and insensitive as this really grinds my gears.

Bernie's regime at F1 seems just as tyrannous as any dictators

the only good thing of the F1 going ahead in Bahrain is that it's shone the spotlight on the plight of the Bahraini people, unfortunately these unrepresented people will be murdered for protesting during the weekend.

how would you feel if you were a Bahraini, believing that the whole world doesn't care about or even believe in your oppression?

vive la revolution, long live the Bahraini people and let's keep the spotlight on them and their oppression.

Why the focus on Bahrain? (Apart from the proximity and lack of attention span). Formula 1 does not visit one country that has not had or is having human rights issues.

We are inviting a whole bunch of them to the Olympics.

joxville
22-Apr-12, 11:21
It's down to our politicians to put pressure or the UN to threaten sanctions on the Bahraini rulers, not a bunch of sportsmen. Those drivers are contractually obliged to drive, whatever the 'Bernie line' may be, they have to toe it. The drivers may have an opinion but they aren't allowed to voice it, whether it's in Bahrain or any other country that F1 visits. If our politicians feel so strongly about the things that are wrong in other countries why are they allowing China, USA, Russia and countless others to come here for the London Marathon, the Olympics, and all those 'dignitaries' that no doubt will be here to fawn over Lizzie when she celebrates her Jubilee.