PDA

View Full Version : Storm

The Godfather
11-Jan-05, 22:30
Batten down the hatches folks, theres a storm a brewing.

Mr P Cannop
11-Jan-05, 22:53
its here allready

chessor
11-Jan-05, 23:45
The lights are flickering now too.....not good.

Got the candles at the ready!! :eyes

linzy222
12-Jan-05, 09:30
The schools are shut its that bad

Riffman
12-Jan-05, 11:02
Just got to college to find that they had closed it. Grrrrrrr.. all the way from Wick. And no comment about phoning up the college before you leave.... :mad:

Oh well, at least it means that I get a bit of a break!! :D

Riff

linzy222
12-Jan-05, 11:35
I did hear on MFR that the college was closed aswell

Worth listening to MFR in the mornings especially at this time of year!!

gravedigga
12-Jan-05, 14:00
The buses back and forth from Wick to Thurso have stopped running now.

katarina
12-Jan-05, 16:11
Why do the schools have to close? They could always phone the parents to come and get them if there's a power cut.
Last year, the slightest flurry of snow and all the schools were shut. I rmeber having to wade to school knee deep in snow, and can't rmrber them ever shutting.

jjc
12-Jan-05, 16:48
I suppose they have to take into consideration the kids that don't live in town. All very well saying that the parents can come and get them, but what about parents without transport or who aren't in when the school rings?

Saying that, we had to complete a form nominating an 'in town' guardian who the school could send us to in the event of being snowed in.

The Godfather
12-Jan-05, 17:25
'Spose wae the state that Wick High School is in falling debris and bits being ripped of buildings could pose a hazard.

Riffman
12-Jan-05, 17:49
linzy222 Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:35 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did hear on MFR that the college was closed aswell

Worth listening to MFR in the mornings especially at this time of year!!

True enough, must remember.

Riff

girnigoe
12-Jan-05, 17:49
Also some kids who have to walk to school may easily have been blown off their feet this morning - possibly in front of a car!!

George Brims
12-Jan-05, 21:13
Away back in the late 1960s a snowstorm stranded all the country pupils in Week (me included). After that they were much more prone to shutting the schools if the weather forecast was bad. We never minded a "snow day"!

moshmosh
12-Jan-05, 21:58
Why do the schools have to close? They could always phone the parents to come and get them if there's a power cut.
Last year, the slightest flurry of snow and all the schools were shut. I rmeber having to wade to school knee deep in snow, and can't rmrber them ever shutting.

Well if more than 300 pupils at Wick High have to travel to school by bus, a third travelling next to coastline with high winds then there could well be tears.

katarina
12-Jan-05, 23:28
I
Saying that, we had to complete a form nominating an 'in town' guardian who the school could send us to in the event of being snowed in.

Yes, we had to do that too, and the stranded kids seemed to enjoy the adventure. . How do other parents manage who have to work and only find out the schools are shut that morning? Our office was left totally unmanned today because all the mothers had to stay at home.
I understand the hazzards, And anybody wishing to keep their child home should be able to do so, but if parents can deliver their child and pick them up, why can't the schools keep on a skeleton staff?
Okay last night was extreme and it was dangerous to be out in such a gale, but I have seen the schools shutting for a whole lot less.