PDA

View Full Version : The village "idiot"

_Ju_
16-Nov-06, 12:59
Every village has an "idiot". In one particular remote village in the far North of Scotland, there was a young man who was the village "idiot". He wasn't considered a bright candle and was often teased and made fun off. Everyday at the local where everyone congregated, they would call this young man and ask him to choose between a 50p or a £1 coin. He would invariably choose to keep the bigger shinier 50p coin and so the men of the village enjoyed their little joke at his expense.
One person found this distressing and one day pulled the "idiot" aside and told him that the smaller coin was worth more. The idiot replied: " I know...its worth twice the one I choose, but the day I choose the £1 coin the joke is over";)

One of the greatest pleasures of an inteligent person is to play the idiot to an idiot who thinks he is inteligent.:)

paris
16-Nov-06, 13:22
How very true ! jan x

JAWS
16-Nov-06, 13:28
I'm not admitting anything.

sam
16-Nov-06, 15:08
just goes to prove that some villages have more than one idiot;)

scrapydoo
16-Nov-06, 15:24
just goes to prove that some villages have more than one idiot;)
The above is just a joke taken from a joke site the words have been altered.
Although saying that, its not just villages that have an idiot.:grin:

sam
16-Nov-06, 15:35

I know lol, but remember not all idiots are two faced:Razz

scrapydoo
16-Nov-06, 15:58
I know lol, but remember not all idiots are two faced:Razz
Well not all idiots have 2 faces you maybe correct there. But some sure do.
Sure Sam;)

sam
16-Nov-06, 16:13
Well not all idiots have 2 faces you maybe correct there. But some sure do.
Sure Sam;)

totally agree wi you, but there again you would know better than me after all sam doesnt need a second face to say what they have to say;)

golach
16-Nov-06, 16:37
I heard a tale many years ago as a wee boyagie, I remember my Grandad telling a similar story, about Market days in Thursa, when an owld wifie who I suppose was suffering with dementia, used to get offered the choice of a penny or a sixpence from the Farmers, she always chose the sixpence, as she said, she didna want till be greedy and I'll just take the peedie coin, but every Market day, the Farmers made her the offer, and she and the Farmers went away from market feeling the better for both their deeds

_Ju_
16-Nov-06, 20:55

In Portugal it's not a joke. It's a story told to ilustrate a point. A bit like a fable but without animals. Where I got this from was from a Portuguese book of street wisdoms ( very loose translation).

Cedric Farthsbottom III
16-Nov-06, 22:38
Remember reading a story about a guy who for most of his young days was made out to be an idiot.Then one day they put him behind a Formula one car and won the World Championship.Jackie Stewart wis his name driving cars wis his game.:D

Dusty
17-Nov-06, 13:05
I heard a tale many years ago as a wee boyagie, I remember my Grandad telling a similar story, about Market days in Thursa, when an owld wifie who I suppose was suffering with dementia, used to get offered the choice of a penny or a sixpence from the Farmers, she always chose the sixpence, as she said, she didna want till be greedy and I'll just take the peedie coin, but every Market day, the Farmers made her the offer, and she and the Farmers went away for market feeling the better for both their deeds

Golach,
I heard the same story and the owld wifie was supposedly Peggy Soo who I believe lived in or next door to the Turnpike in Shore Street with her sister.

Dusty.