PDA

View Full Version : redkites in caithness

blueboy
18-Apr-12, 19:20
our son came running into the house around 5.30ish saying he had just seen a redkite,,we went out side and sure enough there was a redkite above the forest in front of our house at olrig,scott had seen afew of these on his way home from perth so he knew what he was looking for,,wish we could have got aphoto of it to show you,,any other sightings up here of any redkites????:)

Pterodroma
19-Apr-12, 16:41
Hi blueboy

A Red Kite was reported near Castletown a couple of weeks or so ago - looks as though it is still hanging around the area.

Pterodroma

kas
19-Apr-12, 18:33
One reported at Westfield today at 9am.

smithp
19-Apr-12, 19:51
Red kites have been seen for several years in Caithness. I saw one in Ulbster 2 years ago. My birdie expert friend informs me they are likely to be Welsh ones! Apparently immature birds do a wee tour of the uk. Last I heard the highland population was down to 30 ish.

grumpyhippo
20-Apr-12, 20:43
'My birdie expert friend informs me they are likely to be Welsh ones.'
Those will be rugby playing red kites checking out lion's team possibles? :lol::lol:

nirofo
20-Apr-12, 21:04
'My birdie expert friend informs me they are likely to be Welsh ones.'
Those will be rugby playing red kites checking out lion's team possibles? :lol::lol:

There's plenty of Red Kites in northern Scotland and although quite a lot of them live around the Black Isle area, they do wander up north and into Caithness and Sutherland from time to time. The Welsh bred ones do wander about a bit but it would be unusual for them to come this far north. There's a Red Kite feeding and viewing station called "Eyes To The Skies" at Tollie near Dingwall, you can get all the info about it at the following web address. http://www.eyestotheskies.org.uk/seeredkites/

Here's a photo of one taken at the feeding station.

Red Kite in flight.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/RedKiteinflight_DSC_0001_03-10-2011.jpg

nirofo.