PDA

View Full Version : Fretting........

Green_not_greed
18-Apr-12, 12:29
Can anyone please recommend someone in Caithness who can properly dress frets and set up a good guitar action?

Thanks

spaceshipone
18-Apr-12, 19:15
not sure if theres anyone who makes business of it but a lot of musicians can mke good jobs of it, if it comes down to it, DIY guides are all over the internet

David B
19-Apr-12, 16:43
Fret dress I wouldn't tackle myself (but then again I am a clutz).

Set up for a good action just requires a bit of time and patience. Be sure to adjust things a little at a time.

Lots of guidance on the net. I bought a set up book from Amazon a few years back. Best tenner I ever spent after shelling out £40+ for shop set ups in Aberdeen.

sids
19-Apr-12, 18:34
I'd say if you can do fairly neat DIY, you can level your frets. You need some sort of dead flat sanding block. I cast a cement one on a mirror.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/201556-fret-leveling-yer-tele-101-a.html

I went over my favourite guitar and did find some high ones and levelled them but I couldn't get the action much lower even after that.

The bit that's really worth doing is getting the nut slots deep enough, I find.

Green_not_greed
20-Apr-12, 12:04
Thanks y'all. Fret dressing is really where I'm coming from. After 35+ years of playing and setting up guitars, I have reached as far as I can on my guitars. I have one or two with frets which need dressed as the strings choke when bent. Given that these are good quality guitars its not something I would like to attempt myself. I have filed frets in the past - and quite successfully - but on Squiers, not Gordon Smiths or Fenders.