PDA

View Full Version : Electric Storage Heaters

scrapydoo
15-Nov-06, 19:19
Does anyone have storage heating? what is your average weekly cost and how many of the heaters do you have switched on?

young
15-Nov-06, 19:24
Does anyone have storage heating? what is your average weekly cost and how many of the heaters do you have switched on?

Hi i have storage heating the ones that only come on at night and if i have the kitchen lobby and bedroom sometimes i am an average of £20 per week but this also includes washing machine tumble dryer e.t.c

Wish
15-Nov-06, 21:01
Can anyone help with a fools guide to using overnight electric storage heaters?

We have never used them before moving here and not sure we are doing it right? I only like the heating on in the evening as in the day I am usually quite active around the house, doing housework and I get really hot but there doesn't seem to be a way of switching off during the day without losing all the heat? Also do you have to set the temperature the day before, as like today what if its colder than you thought and your shivering in the evening?

Also how expensive are they to run? Oh how I miss my gas central heating:(

carasmam
15-Nov-06, 21:08
I really miss the gas ch too Wish. This storage heaters are pretty uncontrolable in fact I hate them :(

gofor
15-Nov-06, 21:10
on the storage heater ther are 2 gages. 1 for input and the other room temp boost. before retiring for the night turn your temp boost down will store heat for when you need it. also about 3.30/4pm every day there is a boost to back up heat. got ours set at 6 input just now. once there are on and heated not to bad to run we are total electric 3 bed house and average £15 a week

wild1
16-Nov-06, 00:15
I have storage electric heating too and I can't get the hang of the heating system aswell it's a pain I also prefer gas central heating too so much more better. I pay £80.00 per month for my electric.

bky
16-Nov-06, 08:48
I have 6 storage heaters, i try to keep them as low as possible but they just eat the electricity - currently running at around £6 Per Day for an all electric house - they are great in the summer as i turn them off in May and never stick them back on till it starts getting cold

angela5
16-Nov-06, 10:15
I have 6 storage heaters, i try to keep them as low as possible but they just eat the electricity - currently running at around £6 Per Day for an all electric house - they are great in the summer as i turn them off in May and never stick them back on till it starts getting cold

They certainly do eat the electricity, i have 3 switched on and i'm paying around £40 per week on my electricity. I really hate this storage heating and i don't think i have the knack of using them, it's too hot in the morning and at tea-time.:(
What are they supposed to be set as? i have my input control on 5 and boost on 2.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Nov-06, 11:50
We gave up on storage heaters a long time ago they are rubbish. Especially in a old house like ours. We put in an oil boiler and radiators 5 years ago and have never looked back. In the coldest part of winter we had our storage heaters turned up full and the house was cold in the late evenings and roasting during the day when we were out at work. An extra layer of loft insulation didnt make much difference in keeping the heat in either.
The boiler means our house is warm when we want it to be and not when we dont want it to be. Also our monthly heting costs were greatly reduced at the time of change over.

dozy
16-Nov-06, 11:59
Why the question ????

mums angels
16-Nov-06, 12:05
My folks have storage heaters and they are rubbish..cost about £160 a month(but have portable heaters too because they do not produce enough heat on their own for size of rooms) and i have to say the house is usually freezing unless they have the coal fire going.

misty woman
16-Nov-06, 12:11
We got electric heating installed in the summertime,it has made a huge difference to our home,wish we had done it years ago,our house is warm the whole time.

henry20
16-Nov-06, 12:16
Have a storage heater at work and the suggested operating procedure is:

Boost Control - Manual Operation
Normally boost control may be left on position 1. Boost control may be moved to 5 in the evening if additional heat required. Return to setting 1 before retiring.

Input Control:
In cold weather set input control to 5 (max). In milder weather set input to a lower position. Lowest setting is 1.

Personally, I struggle to get my office to the required temperature - its either way too hot or way too cold. I'm glad I don't have it at home :)

scrapydoo
16-Nov-06, 12:18
Why the question ????
Why the Question?? Are we not allowed to ask questions on here now, what's it to do with you why i'm asking? Whats wrong with asking? to clear it up and satisfy your nose i was just asking about storage heating as i find them expensive and just wanted to know what others thought of that heating system.

Hope that clears things up for Dozy.[disgust]

Fran
16-Nov-06, 13:12
do they still have the special white meter for storage heaters whereby your electric is cheap between 11pm and 8am.Years ago I had storage heaters, horrible, and i would do washing and drying at night when electric was cheaper. Cant beat gas, love it. Halogen heaters are great, lovely glow and a good heat and only cost 3p per hour. They are £12 in woolworths and whatsits but only £6 in poundstretchers in Inverness.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Nov-06, 15:23
Have a storage heater at work and the suggested operating procedure is:

Boost Control - Manual Operation
Normally boost control may be left on position 1. Boost control may be moved to 5 in the evening if additional heat required. Return to setting 1 before retiring.

Input Control:
In cold weather set input control to 5 (max). In milder weather set input to a lower position. Lowest setting is 1.

Personally, I struggle to get my office to the required temperature - its either way too hot or way too cold. I'm glad I don't have it at home :)

Time too have stern words with your boss too sort out the office temperatures ;)

henry20
16-Nov-06, 15:23
that old miser!? :lol:

He's lovely really ;)