PDA

View Full Version : Question.

rich62_uk
15-Apr-12, 16:28
IF you was told by an employer that they employed someone off cards for a day and paid them then the person who was paid applied for a job that actually went againts that type of thing would you say something ? The actual employer would deny this happened as they are friends with the 'employee'.

Hypocrite springs to mind which is what's bugging me.

By the way this was done several times.

Bill Fernie
15-Apr-12, 20:29
IF you was told by an employer that they employed someone off cards for a day and paid them then the person who was paid applied for a job that actually went againts that type of thing would you say something ? The actual employer would deny this happened as they are friends with the 'employee'.

Hypocrite springs to mind which is what's bugging me.

By the way this was done several times.

Here is what the Direct Gov web site says about Casual employment -

If you work for an employer
If you're employed on a casual, temporary or part-time basis by law your employer must:

deduct tax and National Insurance contributions from your wages
give you payslips
deduct student loan repayments, if relevant
give you a form P45 when you leave
give you a P60 tax summary at the end of each tax year if you still work for the employer
What about cash in hand?
It's illegal for your employer to pay you cash in hand without deducting tax and National Insurance contributions from your wages.
If you accept money in this way, you risk losing your employment rights and the right to some benefits, such as:

maternity or paternity leave
sick pay
Jobseeker's Allowance
In addition you could end up having to pay the tax and National Insurance contributions yourself.
If you suspect your employer of not paying tax or National Insurance contributions on your wages you can report them in confidence using the Tax Evasion Hotline on Tel 0800 788 887. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 6.00 pm and are normally less busy before 9.00 am.

See it all at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/WorkingAndPayingTax/DG_10010537

rich62_uk
15-Apr-12, 20:40
Yes I understand all that, my question is how would I prove this ? The employer is a friend of the employee and would say they never told me that they paid cash in hand to this person. What is bugging me is that the employee is now applying for a job which goes againts cash in hand !

1, How could I prove it.
2, Should I be bothered about this.

David Banks
15-Apr-12, 20:56
Yes I understand all that, my question is how would I prove this ? The employer is a friend of the employee and would say they never told me that they paid cash in hand to this person. What is bugging me is that the employee is now applying for a job which goes againts cash in hand !

1, How could I prove it.

1, I do not think you should be required to prove anything more, other than reporting what you found out.
2, You are right to be bothered by people evading taxes. The same sort of "nonsense" happens here in Canada. However, I think you should be able to make the report anonymously. You would not want "the Authorities" going to the employer and saying "this (named) person reported you did . . such and such."

Bill Fernie
15-Apr-12, 21:09

1, How could I prove it.

Without hard evidence forget it. Reporting with no evidence is a waste of time and no enquiries will be made due to lack of time to look into what might be a wrong or malicious report from the authorities point of view. Unless very large sums are involved the effort to check it would not be cost effective.

rich62_uk
15-Apr-12, 21:10
Thank you.

squidge
15-Apr-12, 21:15
1. If you have suspicions that is enough to make a report but the person may be being paid cash in hand or maybe declaring it on a tax return as self employed income at the end of the year so you have to be prepared that it may come to naught.

2. What is it that is bothering you about it? If its a day here and there is it really an issue and if so why? Maybe it is only a real issue if it is for a longer period of time - a week or a month or even three months? You mention something about them getting a job - i dont really understand what that has to do with this. If they have the sort of job that this would be a disciplinary issue - say they were working for the tax office - then it might be pertinent, although perhaps only if they continued to do cash in hand work whilst being employed by the tax office.

rich62_uk
15-Apr-12, 21:27
I did make a different post but deleted it, I can't prove a thing so really should or rather will have to let it go. It bothers me because of the type of job they are applying for and the way they are now behaving but that is now unimportant.