PDA

View Full Version : premature babies

scrapydoo
15-Nov-06, 17:46
Should very premature babies be resuscitated?

http://itn.co.uk/news/index_d985170c40fcaaed58add846f2d73667.html

unicorn
15-Nov-06, 17:54
having been born premature and tiny 2lb 12, I think I turned out ok and I think these babies should be given every chance at life.

ett23
15-Nov-06, 18:10
Yes, all premature babies should be resuscitated. Why in this modern age, with medical progress being as it is should higher powers suddenly decide that instead of giving these tiny babies a fair chance at life, that we should give up on them as if they're worth nothing.

For goodness sake, there are people out there who are dying for a baby but can't conceive and yet at the other end of the scale there are people who have babies but don't want them or abuse the right to life that each and every one of us has! :mad:

bobsgirl
15-Nov-06, 18:53
Yes they should.

One of my nephew's was 3 months premature and had to stay in Raigmore Hospital until his official due date. He was very lucky to have survived! He is now 17, making a go of life and it makes you think what if they could not have treated him.

Life is wasted enough without just letting it go!!

Piglet
15-Nov-06, 18:57
Everyone baby has the right to life - yes they should be resuscitated.

_Ju_
15-Nov-06, 19:31
Yes, all premature babies should be resuscitated. Why in this modern age, with medical progress being as it is should higher powers suddenly decide that instead of giving these tiny babies a fair chance at life, that we should give up on them as if they're worth nothing.

For goodness sake, there are people out there who are dying for a baby but can't conceive and yet at the other end of the scale there are people who have babies but don't want them or abuse the right to life that each and every one of us has! :mad:

Generally people looking to adopt do not want mentally chanllenged babies, babies with disabilities or illnesses.

When a baby is born under 22 weeks, she/he will suffer major and repeated interventions that cause huge suffering, to keep her alive for as long as can be to a life of more suffering. In my opinion that is cruel and if it were done to an animal would be illegal. What is being dicussed in the news are the extreme premmies. No one is sugesting to go about killing babies, but to supress treatment that is not conducive to a minimum quality of life.

Please all remember baby Charlotte, who's parents fought for resucitation. Resucitation was not necessary since the court battle, so she has so far survived. Now that she can go home (with round the clock care) no one wants her... parents have gone splitsville and no one is holding up their hand to take home their beloved daughter. Cruel though it may seem, she will never be fostered or adopted. She is to stay in a hospital till she dies, in the care of strangers- How can that be right>?????

squidge
15-Nov-06, 19:47
Generally people looking to adopt do not want mentally chanllenged babies, babies with disabilities or illnesses.

When a baby is born under 22 weeks, she/he will suffer major and repeated interventions that cause huge suffering, to keep her alive for as long as can be to a life of more suffering. In my opinion that is cruel and if it were done to an animal would be illegal. What is being dicussed in the news are the extreme premmies. No one is sugesting to go about killing babies, but to supress treatment that is not conducive to a minimum quality of life.

Teh thing is Ju that no one really knows what will happen to a baby who is born early - there are many stories of children who recover from their traumatic start and have a happy and normal childhood. To make a decision not to treat babies purely because they are early is wrong.

Please all remember baby Charlotte, who's parents fought for resucitation. Resucitation was not necessary since the court battle, so she has so far survived. Now that she can go home (with round the clock care) no one wants her... parents have gone splitsville and no one is holding up their hand to take home their beloved daughter. Cruel though it may seem, she will never be fostered or adopted. She is to stay in a hospital till she dies, in the care of strangers- How can that be right>?????

I think that this case is a tradgedy for all those involved. One could argue that the court case put extra strain on the parents but we dont know that for sure. Her father says he wants her home i beleive but hasnt been offered the support that he needs to make that happen. Despite this case i beleive that it is wrong to deny a child the right to live because they need help at the start

unicorn
15-Nov-06, 19:48
I could be wrong here but as far as I am aware abortion is not legal after 20 weeks as the baby is developed enough to survive so if you give birth at 22 weeks it's not exactly a miscarriage and any living human being has the right to a chance to live, I am sure there must be a human rights angle to this. I mean if junkies can get payout for cold turkey then these parents human rights must be breeched by nobody trying to save their babies life.

paris
15-Nov-06, 19:48
If you were pregnant and delivered early how would you feel if you were surrounded by hi tech equipment which could keep your new born prem baby alive and they said" sorry were not allowed to use it " Im sure if it was YOUR child you would want all the help in the world to keep it alive. I would. jan x

_Ju_
15-Nov-06, 19:51
Teh thing is Ju that no one really knows what will happen to a baby who is born early - there are many stories of children who recover from their traumatic start and have a happy and normal childhood. To make a decision not to treat babies purely because they are early is wrong.

Not extreme premmies..... extreme premeture babies are born at 15/22 week.... it is a personal belief, but life at all costs often cost the life saved more than those who love that life.

mums angels
15-Nov-06, 19:53
I think that this case is a tradgedy for all those involved. One could argue that the court case put extra strain on the parents but we dont know that for sure. Her father says he wants her home i beleive but hasnt been offered the support that he needs to make that happen. Despite this case i beleive that it is wrong to deny a child the right to live because they need help at the start[/quote]

It was also on the news that mother and father have not visited the child in months....doesn't show that he wants her...

Every child deserves the right to be resusitated ..there are many premeture babies that are fine after been resusitated - who are we to decide that they get no chance at all

squidge
15-Nov-06, 20:01
I dont know whether he does or he doesnt mums angels but its one case. I beleive that making blanket decisions about treatment for people in any case is wrong.

I have no problem with doctors and parents making informed decisions about the chances of recovery for each individual case and in some cases deciding together that there is no hope and the best course of action is not to resucitate. However i feel that a blanket decision not to resucitate babies born at 22 weeks is wrong

_Ju_
15-Nov-06, 20:02
If you were pregnant and delivered early how would you feel if you were surrounded by hi tech equipment which could keep your new born prem baby alive and they said" sorry were not allowed to use it " Im sure if it was YOUR child you would want all the help in the world to keep it alive. I would. jan x

From what I know of medicine and the physiology of pain and suffering, I believe that if my child were to be born to that life of exteme suffering, with no hope of ameliorating or hope of feeling more than pain and absence of pain, then I would not subject him/her to that treatment. Many things are unknown in medicine, which is not an exact science, but some thing are definately known.

As for being in a room where equipment could save my baby that was born 6 month premature and being tols sorry, we are not going to use it.... what about a baby born 2 months premature with all the possibilities of surviving. What do I say to the parents of that baby: Sorry, my baby with null possibilities will be using that equipment for the forseeable future so yours cannot? ( Incubators and associated equipment are at a premium at most hospitals)

paris
15-Nov-06, 20:09
I do see what your saying but put in a position having just given birth i would personally want everything to help MY baby. You dont really think of others at times like that. If it was 100% positive that my baby would have a painful and disabilitating life then i would have to think hard about any decisions made.jan x

danc1ngwitch
15-Nov-06, 20:18
Life is precious and everyone should be given the chance... I really don't like the thought of any parent going thro such agony such as this... Mums and Dads alike but not only that the little brothers and sisters all the emotional turmoil involved... This subject brings tears ta my eyes ...

crashbandicoot1979
15-Nov-06, 20:18
I think it should depend on the circumstances - the doctor's prognosis and the parents wishes. Some parents would want to take the chance that the baby would be fine, others would prefer not to see it suffer. The human rights angle is a tricky one:
- is it a breach of human rights to deny the baby a chance of life?
OR
- is it a breach of human rights to make it suffer?

_Ju_
15-Nov-06, 20:48
I think it should depend on the circumstances - the doctor's prognosis and the parents wishes. Some parents would want to take the chance that the baby would be fine, others would prefer not to see it suffer. The human rights angle is a tricky one:
- is it a breach of human rights to deny the baby a chance of life?
OR
- is it a breach of human rights to make it suffer?

I would put another option to you: is it a breach of humanity that a baby be made to suffer horrendously to comfort its parents?