PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the.....

angela5
15-Nov-06, 16:11
NIT NURSE

What happened to the 'nit nurse'? Why was this stopped in the first place?
I'm sick to the back teeth of my daughter picking this up from school. It's the same ones that are not being properly treated that re-infest the kids that's parents are spending a fortune on all the products to get rid of them, only to catch them again. Kids with head lice should be kept at home until they are totally clear, i keep my daughter off school she misses her education, whilst the other children stay in school passing these horrid things around.[evil]
Schools used to send letters home warning parents that head lice was on the go, even this has stopped.
Are people just adapting to having this in their kids hair? is it now part of the norm? :confused

unicorn
15-Nov-06, 16:30
I absolutely agree that it should be brought back, touch wood my daughter has been nit free all year but I am sure with the xmas concert coming up she will catch it again as usual. I find the fact that the schools are no longer allowed to send out warnings when it is in a class an absolute disgrace, who makes up these rules??? I remember it having something to do with protecting childrens privacy or human rights or something but it's not as if they named the child with lice. At one point a group of parents in my daughters class even thought about parents taking it in turns to go into school and check the class kids individually but that was not allowed either.

Cattach
15-Nov-06, 16:39
I absolutely agree that it should be brought back, touch wood my daughter has been nit free all year but I am sure with the xmas concert coming up she will catch it again as usual. I find the fact that the schools are no longer allowed to send out warnings when it is in a class an absolute disgrace, who makes up these rules??? I remember it having something to do with protecting childrens privacy or human rights or something but it's not as if they named the child with lice. At one point a group of parents in my daughters class even thought about parents taking it in turns to go into school and check the class kids individually but that was not allowed either.

You are quite right but it is the Highland Health Board and Highland Council to blame. They do not admit it but it has been mostly a cost cutting exercise. Letters remind people to check hair and should continue. When I was young the nit nurse visited homes to give advice after a positive search.

scrapydoo
15-Nov-06, 16:40
Thats true angela its the same ones that pass it around, they are not being treated properly. I agree the nit nurse should be brought back. Might get rid of them once and for all.

unicorn
15-Nov-06, 16:40
maybe the problem is not so bad in out school now then cos I can't remember the last time it was mentioned in a letter.

angela5
15-Nov-06, 16:47
maybe the problem is not so bad in out school now then cos I can't remember the last time it was mentioned in a letter.

It's been a lot of years since letter's regarding head lice was sent home to parents.

Piglet
15-Nov-06, 17:30
It is now up to the parents themselves to advise the parents of the pupils in your childs class. They no longer send out letters.

paris
15-Nov-06, 18:23
All well saying tell the other parents but i wouldnt like to have to tell someone who is lets say a bit funny about their kids.
Jan x:confused

bobsgirl
15-Nov-06, 18:49
[quote=angela5;161128]NIT NURSE

What happened to the 'nit nurse'? Why was this stopped in the first place?
I'm sick to the back teeth of my daughter picking this up from school. It's the same ones that are not being properly treated that re-infest the kids that's parents are spending a fortune on all the products to get rid of them, only to catch them again.

You will find that if you sign up to the 'Minor Ailments' service at the chemist then the treatment for headlice would be available to you for free. If you go into your regular chemist and ask about it they will give you advice on whether you are eligible for this!
This service also can give you medication for other illnesses, the leaflet covers everything.
This service is designed so that you do not have to take a trip to the doctor's for minor problems.
Hope this helps!