PDA

View Full Version : You idiot!

wunnell
14-Apr-12, 18:43
I've had two windscreens broken in the past two years, costing me my excess (twice) and some NCD. All because some PRAT thought it would be ok to overtake me on a recently resurfaced stretch of road. Not this time pal!! Coming back from Tesco today some idiot thought he would try and overtake me along the signposted "loose chipping" stretch just after Reiss! Yes, there are very few loose stones there now, but I am not going to let you bust another one of my windscreens, especially on a car that's less than a month old!

billmoseley
14-Apr-12, 19:05
i hope you didn't impede an overtaking manoeuvre by swerving to stop as this is dangerous driving and could cost more than a cracked windscreen. i haven't seen any loose chippings on that road for months maybe the signs are old

davem
14-Apr-12, 19:34
You'd best describe your car a little more clearly so we know not to enter your bubble, sounds like quite a hazardous thing to do!

Kodiak
14-Apr-12, 20:07
The Very Best way to avoid a Cracked Windscreen or even getting mud on your Car is to put it in your Garage and leave it there until you want to trade it in for a new one. :D

alistair harper
14-Apr-12, 20:37
I have to agree with bill i have driven along that strech of road for a while and i havnt seen any workmen putting new chips on that road but yes the signs have been there for a while but i also agree that there does seem to be more stones getting thrown up on all the caithness roads and think the council should use the road sweeper to do all the roads not just the sides in the towns.

wunnell
14-Apr-12, 20:53
You'd best describe your car a little more clearly so we know not to enter your bubble, sounds like quite a hazardous thing to do!
Yes Dave, I drive an 03 reg Silver Rover

davem
14-Apr-12, 21:07
Duly noted - I must say I drive that stretch every day and haven't been aware of any excessive gravel at all, I did slow the first time I saw the signs but that must be months after it was done. It would certainly come as a shock if I was baulked there. I can understand your concern but what is described sounds like you are risking 2 cars and drivers for the sake of a windscreen which almost certainly wouldn't have been broken.

ducati
14-Apr-12, 21:09
To avoid being overtaken I always drive on the wrong side of the road at about 90mph.

Unless it is dangerous then I drive at 20mph

I forgot to say this is in reverse of course so I can always see what is behind me.

Stack Rock
14-Apr-12, 22:31
I totally agree with the original poster. I've had chips bouncing off my windscreen on this stretch of road by on-coming and approaching speeding traffic. The temporary speed limits are being ignored. As per usual the cautious driver is being hit by the inconsiderate ones as the chips always bounce off the the slower cars.

Tosh
15-Apr-12, 00:47
I also travel that road every day, it is not new chippings on the road it is the road surface disintegrating like most roads. I too have had chips take out of my windscreen, before the signs went up, it is obviously the councils way of covering itself for the poor condition this road is in.

Big Gaz
15-Apr-12, 01:00
and we all wonder why we pay "road tax"......poor roads and potholes damage our vehicles yet i don't see the govt paying for the repairs...

EDDIE
15-Apr-12, 05:09
I've had two windscreens broken in the past two years, costing me my excess (twice) and some NCD. All because some PRAT thought it would be ok to overtake me on a recently resurfaced stretch of road. Not this time pal!! Coming back from Tesco today some idiot thought he would try and overtake me along the signposted "loose chipping" stretch just after Reiss! Yes, there are very few loose stones there now, but I am not going to let you bust another one of my windscreens, especially on a car that's less than a month old!
You no how the saying goes,everything comes in threes

Mrs Bucket
15-Apr-12, 15:10
inconsiderate drivers are pain I have repaired windscreen and several chips in paintworkgrrrrr

Gronnuck
15-Apr-12, 16:26
My car is so old It's bound to have a large collection of paint chips.:D I'll have to check next time I'm in it if it's got a windscreen,:confused;)

Eilanboy
16-Apr-12, 14:53
I also travel that road every day, it is not new chippings on the road it is the road surface disintegrating like most roads. I too have had chips take out of my windscreen, before the signs went up, it is obviously the councils way of covering itself for the poor condition this road is in.

Warning people that there could be loose chippings due to the deterioration of the surface but then very few drivers pay any attention to the signs as you and others point out

rogermellie
20-Apr-12, 00:51
i've had to replace 3 windscreens in the last 2 years and repair several mini chips

however ... every windscreen chip, mini and major, has been caused by oncoming traffic

overtaking cars on a loose surface usually means they're chipping bits out their own car, not mine, and certainly not my windscreen.

it's a fact of life up here with stones ricocheting off your windscreen, adds a bit of excitement to the journey