PDA

View Full Version : Arrgh KW Postcode strikes again!

Dadie
11-Apr-12, 22:10
Im having a gripe.....you find something at a decent price...go to buy it and their computer says NO to highlands or wants £45 delivery (each item)...free to about Glasgow/Edinburgh area...anything north is no mans land obviously..
Goodness can we just have a search option for those companies that wont charge us the earth for delivery up here?
Or a list of good companies to whittle our searches through!
Ps looking for mattresses for a good nights sleep for everyone!:lol:
But the search isnt helping matters!

Liz
11-Apr-12, 22:27
I know you'd think we live in Outer Mongolia! :(

The Citizens Advice Bureau are trying to do something about this but, in the meantime, we just have to avoid the companies who charge ridiculous surcharges. Of course, if you contact them they just say that it's because of the carrier.

Have you tried Argos for a mattress or locally there is A & D Furnishers.

Liz
11-Apr-12, 22:30
I found this and delivery is free.

http://www.bedworld.net/

I (http://www.bedworld.net/)nterestingly Dreams don't deliver to this area despite the owner also owning Ackergill Tower! Maybe he could deliver personally?

Dadie
11-Apr-12, 22:35
I have tried A&D and sams and jims and going to try Tescos......just want the same as what we have on the bed (when it was new) as it was comfy...

RecQuery
11-Apr-12, 23:06
The problem is that they think KW is all in the Orkney Islands when the majority of it isn't. I've no idea why Kirkwall was even picked as the regional postcode name.

golach
11-Apr-12, 23:35
I've no idea why Kirkwall was even picked as the regional postcode name.

RecQuery at last admits he does not know every thing....thats a first!!!!

Corrie 3
12-Apr-12, 03:58
Dadie, have you tried Asda Direct, I do believe any order, no matter how big is only £2.95p

C3...................:)

Thumper
12-Apr-12, 07:31
I had the same problem Dadie,I finally got a brilliant one at no extra charge for delivery from a seller on amazon called comfy-living,and it was here within days even though they estimated a couple of weeks! x

RecQuery
12-Apr-12, 08:14

Sadly you're still you. Well at least that's one post that wasn't a vague, vitriolic and bitter attack on the SNP.

Thumper
12-Apr-12, 08:29
Dadie, have you tried Asda Direct, I do believe any order, no matter how big is only £2.95p

C3...................:)

Actually Asda charge £9.95 for bigger items,which isnt bad,but I paid it for a named day delivery and more than a week after that date I am still waiting for it!x

Aestus57
12-Apr-12, 09:36
Try the Kiln Store, fantastic matresses, FREE delivery. No connection just a very happy customer.

manloveswife
12-Apr-12, 10:42
I've used these a few times, no extra charge for shipping, just says it may take an extra day or two, but has been very quick in our experience

www.mattressman.co.uk (http://www.mattressman.co.uk)

Just looking on their site they do state a charge for certain offshore areas, but their kw postcode for charges is KW15 - KW17, and we didn't get a charge in KW14

Corrie 3
12-Apr-12, 11:01
And did you know Golach that it's the SNP's and Wee Eck's fault that RecQuery doesn't know everything?

I reckon those Panda's have got more brain cells than you have!

C3..............:eek:

Nick Noble
12-Apr-12, 12:06
The problem is that they think KW is all in the Orkney Islands when the majority of it isn't. I've no idea why Kirkwall was even picked as the regional postcode name.

It has nothing to do with them thinking it is Orkney, the charges are the same for many IV postcodes, AB postcodes, PH postcodes etc. Once a delivery is north of the central belt then the various carriers start charging extra. Some still deliver direct, others use a third party (AJG deliver for many of them).

It does cost much more to deliver up here than elsewhere, but there are quite a few companies that deliver up here for the standard rates.

Good ones to use include Asda, Tesco, John Lewis. Unfortunately it is often the case that the companies with the best prices are the ones that rip us off with delivery charges. I have found it worthwhile calling companies with high delivery charges sometimes a real human being answers the phone and will provide a better delivery charge than is listed on the site.

As an alternative why not speak to the local companies and see if they can supply you with what you want at a price you would be willing to pay, we are all the losers if we lose good local shops.

crashbandicoot1979
12-Apr-12, 12:54
I agree with Nick - sometimes its worth giving them a call if its something you can't get elsewhere. I placed an order online recently and they wanted about £14 delivery via a courier. I phoned and asked if they would send it via Royal Mail, which they willingly did for a mere £4.95. Doubt that would work with a bed - my advice would be to do as others have suggested and see if you can get one locally - but if its something relatively small, Royal Mail/Parcelforce should be able to deliver it for a fraction of the cost, if the seller is willing.

The Happy Humanist
12-Apr-12, 13:14
Try the Kiln Store, fantastic matresses, FREE delivery. No connection just a very happy customer.
The Kiln Store are great, especially if there is a problem. We bought a mattress which failed within its guaranteed life due to a manufacturing fault and they came and inspected it in situ and replaced it immediately. Fantastic. (again no connection just very happy :-))

Gronnuck
12-Apr-12, 15:46
This afternoon I went online to order a replacement part for my Thule bicycle rack. A company in Kent advertised the part at £10.50, which I thought was reasonable. However when I looked at delivery they wanted £20 for delivery to Highland. I emailed them asking if they would sent the item by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery.
While I waited for an answer I did a bit more research and found the same part was available from a company in Exeter. They wanted to charge me £8.28 and £1.46 for Standard Delivery.
The Kent company replied quoting £5.37 for shipping saying they would amend the charge before invoicing me.
Needless to say I ordered the item from Exeter, paid using PayPal and subsequently received an email saying the item would be in the post this evening.
It is worth shopping around, but the bigger the item the more research you have to do.

Gronnuck
12-Apr-12, 15:53
As an alternative why not speak to the local companies and see if they can supply you with what you want at a price you would be willing to pay, we are all the losers if we lose good local shops.

Good advice - the local companies are usually family owned, have the appropriate experience and access to most major suppliers. They may have to take a few days longer but they want/need your business. IMO we should use them, or lose them.

Gronnuck
14-Apr-12, 19:48
This afternoon I went online to order a replacement part for my Thule bicycle rack. A company in Kent advertised the part at £10.50, which I thought was reasonable. However when I looked at delivery they wanted £20 for delivery to Highland. I emailed them asking if they would sent the item by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery.
While I waited for an answer I did a bit more research and found the same part was available from a company in Exeter. They wanted to charge me £8.28 and £1.46 for Standard Delivery.
The Kent company replied quoting £5.37 for shipping saying they would amend the charge before invoicing me.
Needless to say I ordered the item from Exeter, paid using PayPal and subsequently received an email saying the item would be in the post this evening.
It is worth shopping around, but the bigger the item the more research you have to do.

My update for the above post; the part arrived yesterday lunchtime and by mid afternoon I had it fitted and my bicycle rack is now complete. All this in less than 24 hours from the other end of the country - I couldn't be more pleased.

linda.borgie
17-Apr-12, 22:38
Motorspares.co.uk - FANTASTIC
Free delivery from London
Ordered 3.00pm 16/4/12
Delivered to Skerray 5.00pm 17/4/12
Why can all the other companies not provide this service.
Ian

Alrock
17-Apr-12, 23:28
Bought a mattress from this mob with free delivery...

http://www.memoryfoammattresszleeps.co.uk/

theone
18-Apr-12, 13:46

It wasn't.

KW was originally picked as Wick (Why it's back to front I don't know), hence Wick (the postcode town) being KW1.

I made that mistake on here myself but another poster had an old leaflet from the 60's showing the original postcode towns.

Dadie
19-Apr-12, 19:51
Well its struck again...
Trampoline parts only £10 straight from triang from the phone no on the trampoline itself....delivery £15 but for Highlands ........£57...:eek:

Just phoned a relative in Morayshire to see if they can take the bits if we get them delivered there instead.
Not much of a hop over to see them next time we go to Inverness.
Dont even think the bits are that weighty really but they would be in a bulky box!