PDA

View Full Version : Titanic....Let us Remember

Iffy
11-Apr-12, 17:20
I don't think that anyone has made a new "thread" on here, with regards to the 100 year anniversary of one of the greatest maratime disasters.

I , personally, have watched quite a few programmes, recently, with regards to the" Titanic". There are, obviously, many ideas as to the how's and why's, such a catastrophe could happen;, albeit 100 years ago.

Many programmes I have found interesting, although macabre; whilst other's seem to just speculate......

I'd just like to put on this thread, as a small recognition towards the memories of those who lost their lives on the night of 12th April 1912 . God Bless their Souls.

Alan16
11-Apr-12, 23:49
I just watched a programme on it the other day and I'm fairly certain it was actually the 15th. Either way I agree with the sentiments.

RecQuery
12-Apr-12, 08:36
I swear we're hearing more on the Titanic now than when it first sunk.

pat
12-Apr-12, 08:41
Before the Titanic there was another ship sunk in 20 minutes on the morning of 28 June 1904 near Rockall, it was called the "SS Norge", but it did not have many rich and influential peole on board, it was an emigrant ship with many nationalities.
There was no wireless on this ship, 635 people perished 160 survivors spent up to 8 days in open lifeboats without anyone knowing of the shipwreck.
The shipwas licensed to carry 800 peopple but the Norge only had lifeboats for 251 - a warning for future ships which was ignored.
Many of the people saved landed in Stornoway and a grave containing mainly children is in Sandwick Cemetery about 300 yards from where I live.
Families of folk who were on board the ship came to the island from all over the world to commemorate this disaster and a memorial plaque unveiled where the lifeboats landed but this has now been moved to the new ferry terminal building.sebak
There is a book written about this but I personally found it very hard reading but had to continue reading until completed - Titanic's Predecessor, The S/S Norge Disaster of 1904 by Per Kristian Sebak by Seaward Publishing of Norway, published in 2004.

davem
12-Apr-12, 08:43
Thanks Pat - interesting reading

veekay
13-Apr-12, 09:31
At the Mill theatre on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th the players are performing their SCDA play Cafe Parisienne together with a selection of songs as a commemortation to the sinking of the vessel.

mi16
13-Apr-12, 09:36
I don't think that anyone has made a new "thread" on here, with regards to the 100 year anniversary of one of the greatest maratime disasters.

I , personally, have watched quite a few programmes, recently, with regards to the" Titanic". There are, obviously, many ideas as to the how's and why's, such a catastrophe could happen;, albeit 100 years ago.

Many programmes I have found interesting, although macabre; whilst other's seem to just speculate......

I'd just like to put on this thread, as a small recognition towards the memories of those who lost their lives on the night of 12th April 1912 . God Bless their Souls.

I dont think classing the Titanic as one of the "greatest" maritime disasters was very respectfull.
I would class it as one of the worlds worst maritime disasters.

Metalattakk
13-Apr-12, 23:27
I dont think classing the Titanic as one of the "greatest" maritime disasters was very respectfull.
I would class it as one of the worlds worst maritime disasters.

great adj (greater, greatest) 1 outstandingly talented and much admired and respected. 2 very large in size, quantity, intensity or extent.

changilass
13-Apr-12, 23:48
As I cannae remember what happened yesterday, I have very little chance of remembering what happened 100 yrs ago.

Having a respectful moment during the day is a different matter, that I can do.

Aaldtimer
14-Apr-12, 03:15
Watched a programme the other night called "Titanic: The aftermath" and was shocked by the tale of the story of the young man from Dumfries, who was a violinist in the ship's band, whose father had made enquiries about the search for his son's body. The first communication he got from the White Star Line was an invoice for the cost of his son's uniform...five shillings and four pence!
[disgust]
And the story of the crew of the first ship from Nova Scotia ( the Mackay Bennet?) which was sent to pick up the bodies floating in the water.
One of the bodies they picked up was a millionaire whose son had put up a reward of 10,000 dollars for the retrieval of his body.
This was duly shared around the crew, who then all contibuted to the casket and funeral and headstone of a 3 year old unknown little boy who was retrieved by them.

Human nature eh?:confused

Bazeye
14-Apr-12, 12:45
Why does nobody remember the Gustave Willhelmson?

Corrie 3
14-Apr-12, 13:16
Why does nobody remember the Gustave Willhelmson?
I prefer to remember The Herald Of Free Enterprise as I lost a good friend on that ferry!!
193 dead because of poor communication and human error!

C3.................:(:(:(