PDA

View Full Version : Dominos, Wick

Tubthumper
15-Nov-06, 00:18
Opinions, please, on what folk think of the activities of the businessmen who previously owned Skinadi's (Eves) in Thurso, Domino's and the Rosebank in Wick, along with the Monza shop, the wreckage at the Towns Square, Thurso and a whole raft of other enterprises.
This for a genuine piece of research into Caithness business practice, past and present.

Buttercup
15-Nov-06, 00:30
Opinions, please, on what folk think of the activities of the businessmen who previously owned Skinadi's (Eves) in Thurso, Domino's and the Rosebank in Wick, along with the Monza shop, the wreckage at the Towns Square, Thurso and a whole raft of other enterprises.
This for a genuine piece of research into Caithness business practice, past and present.

Has this "genuine piece of research" got anything to do with your other threads re business practice in Caithness? :confused

willowbankbear
15-Nov-06, 07:15
One of the "Business" men that you refer to Tubthumper, regularly reads the Org. Im not going to get banned so I will not comment any further, You can pm me though ;)

scrapydoo
15-Nov-06, 11:42

Your asking for research on wick's rumour mill:eek:
You'll get all the arms and legs for your research then:lol:
Why not go and ask the business men to help you with your research! what purpose is your research? is it just being plain old nosey.

pultneytooner
15-Nov-06, 11:45
A genuine piece of research but centred on one family, seems a bit strange to me.:roll:

sharon
15-Nov-06, 19:41
most of them burnt down!!!:confused

katarina
15-Nov-06, 19:51
well if they still own the ex-dominos, they should be ashamed of themselves for letting it lie in ruins for so long, and so should the council for allowing it!

johno
04-Dec-06, 16:24
well if they still own the ex-dominos, they should be ashamed of themselves for letting it lie in ruins for so long, and so should the council for allowing it! It certainly is a mess as is the building where the old coop used to be [ Francis street] in fact looking at the state of the roof on the Francis st building i would guess that it s surely unsafe . cant something be done with these buildings as the old coop is just about the first building you see when entering Wick & the old Pavilion is nearly the last.
Both are prime sites i would have thought. What an advert for Wicks tourist trade .????????
:~(

DarkAngel
04-Dec-06, 16:35
Your rite with it nearly bein the 1st and last buildings..They are just Eye sores really, Such a shame. Hope something gets done about it. Why has it laid so long without it bein demolised or something?

burstbucker
04-Dec-06, 16:37
The old co-p building is presently being looked at by a local building firm for building houses.

angela5
04-Dec-06, 16:59
There's so many eye-sores what about the building that was once larnach's shop?

elamanya
04-Dec-06, 17:05
you would think with all the investment and retail parks opening up just now , some one would take over these buildings and , turn them into housing or even small retail units, makes you wonder if the big companies are getting help setting up here.........

burstbucker
04-Dec-06, 17:52
Larnachs shop is to be converted into housing very soon along with the Robertsons building next to it.

angela5
04-Dec-06, 18:14
Larnachs shop is to be converted into housing very soon along with the Robertsons building next to it.

Is it, that's good, any more wrecks getting developed?

johno
04-Dec-06, 18:19
The old co-p building is presently being looked at by a local building firm for building houses.
hope that it goe,s ahead the actual building itself looks solid & square with good dressed stone on the frontage. as for the pavilion , reckon it s a job for the bulldozer,s. many a great night i had in it when it was a picture house, lol?
;) :lol:

angela5
04-Dec-06, 18:22

Is that garage beside it now totally vacant?

johno
04-Dec-06, 18:37
Is that garage beside it now totally vacant?
yes the garage is in ruins also,it belongs to Richard,s who own the petrol station across the road. believe that they also own the coop building to & the scrap yard round the corner in Loch street

angela5
04-Dec-06, 18:40
yes the garage is in ruins also,it belongs to Richard,s who own the petrol station across the road. believe that they also own the coop building to & the scrap yard round the corner in Loch street

Well if the co-op building is going to be developed then it would tidy that corner up if the garage was included in this.

johno
04-Dec-06, 18:59
Well if the co-op building is going to be developed then it would tidy that corner up if the garage was included in this.
yes but Richards have a showroom in the Loch st side of that building, But i suppose that would be included in the renovations too. Would sure tidy up that part of the town. :D

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 19:01
SHOWROOM!!!!???? yer having a giraffe there buddy[lol]

angela5
04-Dec-06, 19:06
What an advert for Wicks tourist trade .????????
:~(

Ha, what happened to Wick's tourist information office?? that's an even better Advert.[lol]

johno
04-Dec-06, 19:07
SHOWROOM!!!!???? yer having a giraffe there buddy[lol] may be thats what their selling in there then. never thought of it before ;)

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 19:08
Well ye cant see in their windows, a bit like the Dominoes, ye cant see in there either

angela5
04-Dec-06, 19:09
Well ye cant see in their windows, a bit like the Dominoes, ye cant see in there either

lmao that's a good one bear..:lol::lol:

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 19:20
lmao that's a good one bear..:lol::lol:

It used to cost £3 or £5 to see in there if I recall propeerly, cant say the same for Richards garage-probablhy about £9-10 grand

krieve
04-Dec-06, 19:21
That co-op building has been in ruins for years about time someone did something with it. Whats happening to all the talk we had with the big developments beside the waterfront?

angela5
04-Dec-06, 19:22
It used to cost £3 or £5 to see in there if I recall propeerly, cant say the same for Richards garage-probablhy about £9-10 grand

No you could see in the showroom window for free or even go in there and it would'na cost a penny for a look, try that way the dominoes, no chance.:eek:

krieve
04-Dec-06, 19:25
No you could see in the showroom window for free or even go in there and it would'na cost a penny for a look, try that way the dominoes, no chance.:eek:

How true, you had to pay £3 even to nip in a look to see if your mates was there.:eek:

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 19:26
How true, you had to pay £3 even to nip in a look to see if your mates was there.:eek:

I thought it had burnt doon by the time ye were 18?

angela5
04-Dec-06, 19:27
I thought it had burnt doon by the time ye were 18?

Did ye need to be 18??

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 19:28
Did ye need to be 18??

Nah but Krieve woulda been in primary school then, thats pushing things a bit

krieve
04-Dec-06, 19:32
Nah but Krieve woulda been in primary school then, thats pushing things a bit
Wbb, they had under 18's disco's on a Wednesday night.;) BTW they were not half as bad as todays waterfront for letting in under 18's.:grin:

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 19:37
Aye but the carpets are of a similar odour in both places:mad: Honking!!!
I ken what ye mean, Im half expecting to meet my daughter in there sometime soon then Ill ken its time to stop going & head up til e seaforth club wi all e mannies for ma half tartan & a dram:Razz

jambo
04-Dec-06, 21:41
thought u done that anyway willowcelt.

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 22:20
Havnt been in seaforth for a drink for 8 years, Jambo & whats with the mickey bit on willowbank? Ye wouldnt want see the stuff Ive got lined up for jambos fans:Razz

jambo
04-Dec-06, 23:34
thought tescos made their buildings out of wood now willow ps heard u fell at the kirk yesterday.

Chligh
05-Dec-06, 00:18
I wonder who they are?

Fran
05-Dec-06, 02:09
I wonder who they are?

You're forgetting their 99pshop down by Camps bar.

johno
05-Dec-06, 13:10
You're forgetting their 99pshop down by Camps bar. who could forget the 99p shop, sloan,s every body aught to cross the road there in case it falls on top of them. did you notice how far out the wall is at the roof height. thats dangerous
:~( :eek:

angela5
05-Dec-06, 13:12
who could forget the 99p shop, sloan,s every body aught to cross the road there in case it falls on top of them. did you notice how far out the wall is at the roof height. thats dangerous
:eek:

What's Sloan's ?:confused

willowbankbear
05-Dec-06, 13:45
Next door to the World infamous Camps Bar, mind you I dont remember that being anything but a dodgy sport shop. There is some bend in that building

angela5
05-Dec-06, 14:30
Next door to the World infamous Camps Bar, mind you I dont remember that being anything but a dodgy sport shop. There is some bend in that building

That building should have been demolished when they widened the road there.
I don't remember it as a sport shop.:confused

willowbankbear
05-Dec-06, 14:40
What the Camps Bar??!!!! ye`d have a riot if ye did that[lol]
the shop was called Sara`s & the stock was dodgy, we were never sure if it was authentic gear or knocked off!??

connieb19
05-Dec-06, 18:15
I remember Sloans, I'm sure everyone went there because he ran a tick book. I'm not sure what all he sold though, I just remember prams.

candyfloss
05-Dec-06, 18:24
Aye, i can remember my mum going there, but i can't remember what for though :confused:

connieb19
05-Dec-06, 18:30
Aye, i can remember my mum going there, but i can't remember what for though :confused:Everyones mum used to go but noone seems to know what for, I'm going to ring my mum and find out, I hope it's nothing sinister lol. :eek:

johno
05-Dec-06, 18:56
Everyones mum used to go but noone seems to know what for, I'm going to ring my mum and find out, I hope it's nothing sinister lol. :eek: naw, there is nowt sinister about sloan,s it sold prams, child,s wear men & womens wear & most household items.
all on weekly terms. very few people had money in those days.

the good old day s :lol: