PDA

View Full Version : Staggies in the SPL

iain
11-Apr-12, 07:44
Well done to all at Victoria Park :0)

O o o to be O to be a STAGGIE

mi16
11-Apr-12, 07:47
Heres hoping that they can stay up for a few years.

pat
11-Apr-12, 13:12
Well done to all at Victoria Park, know a few much happier folk now the Staggies have made the SPL.

embow
11-Apr-12, 14:02
I'm sure they'll enjoy the year in with the money grabbers of the S(elf) P(reservation) L(eague)Good luck to them and there will hopefully be a nice wee knock on effect as well for the local businesses in Dingwall at least for the first part of the season.

mi16
11-Apr-12, 14:05
I'm sure they'll enjoy the year in with the money grabbers of the S(elf) P(reservation) L(eague)Good luck to them and there will hopefully be a nice wee knock on effect as well for the local businesses in Dingwall at least for the first part of the season.

Are you trying to suggest that they will be relegated next season then?
How very optimistic, I think ICT have proved that it is pollible to gain promotion and stay up fairly consistantly.
RC are a very well run club, with excellent youth development and are debt free if my memory serves me correctly.

embow
11-Apr-12, 18:42
St Mirren or ICT might just be poor enough to make sure they survive providing County get someone in to replace Gardyne and at least one centre back to replace Boyd - just too slow for the next step up. Hope they prove folk wrong but it won't be easy in any shape or manner. They are only debt free due to the Sugar Daddy chairman and how many of the current team have come through from the Youth Academy? The team are made up of lads who didn't make it elsewhere. No problem with that as sometimes it just falls into place that way. A different manager can often bring out the best from people you'd describe as journeymen.

iain
11-Apr-12, 19:06
As the young folk say " whatever "

bcsman
12-Apr-12, 18:23
good to see a team standing on their own 2 feet

Are you trying to suggest that they will be relegated next season then?
How very optimistic, I think ICT have proved that it is pollible to gain promotion and stay up fairly consistantly.
RC are a very well run club, with excellent youth development and are debt free if my memory serves me correctly.

mi16
12-Apr-12, 19:52
Indeed there are very few debt free clubs around the uk.Then again playing in the top division requires a certain level of investment over and above the wee leagues.

rob murray
13-Apr-12, 14:16
St Mirren or ICT might just be poor enough to make sure they survive providing County get someone in to replace Gardyne and at least one centre back to replace Boyd - just too slow for the next step up. Hope they prove folk wrong but it won't be easy in any shape or manner. They are only debt free due to the Sugar Daddy chairman and how many of the current team have come through from the Youth Academy? The team are made up of lads who didn't make it elsewhere. No problem with that as sometimes it just falls into place that way. A different manager can often bring out the best from people you'd describe as journeymen.

Debt free, dunno about that, do a bit of digging on the situation four / five years back...what was the save our staggies all about...short term cash to help ou on a day to day basis...the debt I believe is still there ( re packaged ) ?? Don Cowie Cardiff and Stevie Mackay now with Nairn came from the youth ranks, Scotlands Messi ( GM Steven ) was transferred at 16 /17 followed by Alex Cooper, that about it. RCFC could have re signed GMS when he came north after Liverpool transferred him to Fulham and he struggled with injuries hence leaving Fulham...I believe both ICT and RCFC could have egg on their faces no signing the lad. The Youth Academy despite RCFC and Roys propoganda belongs to the community....our money paid for it. All the best though, the manager is the star I agree with the journeymen comments. Adams will go far.

pmcd
13-Apr-12, 16:01
Back in 2010, new to Scotland, and living in Dingwall. Noticed one fine day that the local shops were "en fete" with Staggies' favours, scarves, stickers, bunting - and even, in one baker's shop, a huge and finely decorated cake dedicated to the hoped for victory of the Staggies to that unmentionable team starting with "D" who, in the end, beat them in the final. This after a "giant-killer" victory over Celtic to get there.

Come the day, and the defeat. More numbers than the entire population of Dingwall travelled to the final. Once the result was known, the defeated Staggies arrived back in Dingwall --

For the mother and father of all proud celebrations - the bands and banners were out in force outside the Legion, as was the heart-warming spectacle of the colourful costumes worn by the kids, and grown ups of all ages, all with a glass of something in their hands, with the bands playing, and the streets heaving in thanks for a great team who had worked their guts out to bring respect and reputation to the Highlands.

The next morning was eerily quiet. I went out to get the Sunday papers. Silence. Stillness. No traffic. Tumbleweed.

I got a bit nervous - what appalling sights of the previous day's celebrations lay in store? Smashed up windows? Piles of puke in the streets? Bloodied corpses?

No. The only, and I mean ONLY evidence of the thousands of revellers was one empty beer bottle parked carefully on a pub windowsill, and one gentleman still lying down on the pavement, who, as I passed, grinned wearily but happily, and informed me (as if I needed telling) that the Staggies were really rather good. That at least was the burden of what he said.

It was all very moving, and very civilised. I now have a very soft spot for Ross County. Not only do they have an excellent team, they have a proud army of devoted supporters who clearly back them rain or shine, win or lose.

In that sense they will always be winners.