PDA

View Full Version : England: 'Healthy competition’ in the NHS is a sick joke

RecQuery
10-Apr-12, 16:03
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/9193015/Healthy-competition-in-the-NHS-is-a-sick-joke.html) Not that I care I live in Scotland, also occasionally the Telegraph has flashes of insight.

Corrie 3
10-Apr-12, 17:08
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/9193015/Healthy-competition-in-the-NHS-is-a-sick-joke.html) Not that I care I live in Scotland, also occasionally the Telegraph has flashes of insight.
Well it was the English that voted the Tories in so they deserve all they get don't they?
I think everyone knew that if the Tories got in power they would start to carve up the NHS.
Thank goodness we live in Scotland where the best NHS services are given, I dread to think what our services would be like up here if the Tories had their hands on it!!
They sold off all of our wonderful services in the past and this is just another one where the lucrative bits are sold off to their rich friends to make a buck or two and the ordinary man in the street is yet again left high and dry!!
Roll on Independence and lets finally get away from that shower of crooks!!

C3....................[disgust][disgust]

ducati
10-Apr-12, 18:00
I believe there are very sound reasons for the NHS reforms. As Scotland isn't getting them it will be interesting to compare the two over time. Why not reserve judgement?

RecQuery
10-Apr-12, 18:28
I believe there are very sound reasons for the NHS reforms. As Scotland isn't getting them it will be interesting to compare the two over time. Why not reserve judgement?

I suppose yeah, best to see what happens. I wonder if there'll be a rise in health tourism up here or possible resentment because we still have a proper NHS. Though this privatised system lacks competition and choice, a vital component of the marketplace or so I'm led to believe. I never experienced it but I recall reading about the privatisation of the railway network with the same sort of arguments being put forward by the government as they put forward for this.

My problem with private companies running public services is that a private company has to make a profit whereas a public company just needs to break even if that. Even if the public company is inefficient the answer is to increase efficiency not privatise. That's my take on it anyway.

Well it was the English that voted the Tories in so they deserve all they get don't they?

Well in all fairness it wasn't in their referendum, from what I'm reading mostly in article comments and through forums is that a lot of Tory voters are leaving the party because of this.

Garnet
11-Apr-12, 00:50
Hmmm...'reserve judgement'.....thankfully we're in a position to do that as we have the benefit of standing back and watching the horror unfold for those poor people in England it's bad enough for them now, and just immagine how the 'older' generation must feel that the promise of 'cradle to grave' must sound to them...ending up as bad as they started. As for the 'Sound Reasons' Ducati, yes I agree with you.....it's the sound of the CASH falling into unworthies pockets/overseas bank accounts etc Sound Reasons alright and as for the likes of 'Brason pickle'......the higher they go the harder they fall!! [disgust] I wonder if you would fancy going back south since you think it's so good.....I'll bet not you know you're better off here, I dare you to vote for 'Wee Eck' as you may call him??? http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon12.png

ducati
11-Apr-12, 05:52
Hmmm...'reserve judgement'.....thankfully we're in a position to do that as we have the benefit of standing back and watching the horror unfold for those poor people in England it's bad enough for them now, and just immagine how the 'older' generation must feel that the promise of 'cradle to grave' must sound to them...ending up as bad as they started. As for the 'Sound Reasons' Ducati, yes I agree with you.....it's the sound of the CASH falling into unworthies pockets/overseas bank accounts etc Sound Reasons alright and as for the likes of 'Brason pickle'......the higher they go the harder they fall!! [disgust] I wonder if you would fancy going back south since you think it's so good.....I'll bet not you know you're better off here, I dare you to vote for 'Wee Eck' as you may call him??? http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon12.png

As I said, we will see. If the reforms are as desperately urgent as is promoted, then it won't be long before it starts to fall apart here.

squidge
12-Apr-12, 11:20
You know what, you couldnt make this up. Have a look at this.

This is a list of all the politicians with links to Companies which stand to benefit from NHS reforms which open up healthcare to competition. http://socialinvestigations.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/nhs-privatisation-compilation-of.html?m=1

Years ago I was a civil servant, not an important one, but i was involved in some contractual work. I removed myself from the process of deciding on the award of a contract because my brother in law worked for a company tendering. He was a labourer! I wasnt ever likely to benefit from the award personally but I wanted everything to be above board.

Im not sure whether the question should be - why are people involved in determining the future of our country allowed to hold positions in private industry and commercial enterprises? Shouldnt public service mean that? Serving the public - not the multi million pound corporations that pay you. You do need to pick through the list. I dont see an issue with people who have previously been in the employment of an organisation being involved in issues which reflect their experience. Experience can inform and ensure that people entering public life are not simply 18 with no life experience. If that experience influences their politics then that is fine - we are all influenced by our experience. I am however amazed by the number in the house of Lords with current positions and that suggestsz to me that the House of Lords is no longer fit for its purpose as a legislative body. I am as surprised by the number of MPs with links - commercial and financial to Companies set to benefit from Health reforms. Shouldnt public service mean that? Serving the public - not the multi million pound corporations that pay you or fund your office or your trips to the ryder cup?

ducati
12-Apr-12, 19:48
Sorry squidge this is muckraking by a political opponent of the reforms. The links they draw are often old and tenuous.

e.g. owning shares in GSK. Anyone with a pension has, and certainly anyone with any kind of stock portfolio.

I would like to bet, that any politician of any party could be on this list yet, yer manny doesn't seem to mention many that are not in the government. (although I didn't read very far once I got the jist).

And he is dribbling on about privatising the NHS. What's that about?

squidge
12-Apr-12, 23:31
There are lib dems and labour politicians further down the list Ducati. I agree, some of the connections ARE tenuous, owning shares is nothing, but sitting on boards, jollies at the expense of and so on IS.... well it is to me anyways... Not acceptable behaviour by those voting on legislation which impacts directly on their financial and business standing. I think that compromises the system and smacks of feathering their own pockets.

ducati
13-Apr-12, 00:06
There are lib dems and labour politicians further down the list Ducati. I agree, some of the connections ARE tenuous, owning shares is nothing, but sitting on boards, jollies at the expense of and so on IS.... well it is to me anyways... Not acceptable behaviour by those voting on legislation which impacts directly on their financial and business standing. I think that compromises the system and smacks of feathering their own pockets.

If there was a substantial accusation to be made, you can bet Ed M would be making it, not some bloke on a fringe website.

squidge
13-Apr-12, 08:05
I wouldnt bet on Ed Milliband to make a substantial lego house. But you see Ducati, thats partly my point, there ISNT a substantial Accusation to make because this is acceptable in our parliamentary system. It is acceptable for those voting in legislation that is going to offer financial benefit to companies that they work for at a senior level. They arent labouring, or working in an office, or cleaning, they are the movers and shakers in those companies. I find that unethical and quite shocking

RecQuery
13-Apr-12, 09:41
The two most galling aspects are that it's not competitive does not give the consumer choice it's been assigned to one company Virgin Healthcare in this instance. Proper capitalism, the way it is supposed to work with an actual free market might be interesting as a test at least instead what we have in this country is some weird isation: state-sponsored-corporatist-protectionist-cronyist-capitalism.

Secondly if I was going to make a change like this I'd make damn sure I couldn't accused of dodgy dealings, I'd resign all board members, sell stock, return political campaign contributions etc. The US president has to put all his financial assets in a blind trust for the duration of his term perhaps all cabinet/front bench MPs over here should have to do the same thing. Either that or they should have to wear jumpsuits with the logos of their sponsors.

I keep reading that a lot of Conservatives are leaving the party, with a lot of them going to UKIP over stuff like this.