PDA

View Full Version : What Search Engine?

Scaraben1976
14-Nov-06, 15:56
What is your search engine of choice?

I have found that for the same query put into a search enginve, different engines give different webpages to look at.

Just wondering what people use, and hpw well they think they work.

I was gonna make it a poll, but I don't appear to be able to do them. Ho hum just have to visit the .org more! lol

Ta

Rheghead
14-Nov-06, 16:06
Google or Dogpile.com for meta-searching

Tugmistress
14-Nov-06, 16:12
I'm a googler too :)
works well when you know how to use the quote marks to help narrow down searches :)

golach
14-Nov-06, 16:12
Google mostly, then local web sites from there

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Nov-06, 16:19
I'm a googler too :)
works well when you know how to use the quote marks to help narrow down searches :)

Pass on the info Tugmistress....new to computers what quote marks for googling?

Ricco
14-Nov-06, 16:31
What is your search engine of choice?

I have found that for the same query put into a search enginve, different engines give different webpages to look at.

Just wondering what people use, and hpw well they think they work.

I was gonna make it a poll, but I don't appear to be able to do them. Ho hum just have to visit the .org more! lol

Ta

This will happen - people register with different search engines, usually their own favourite. If you pay your web host a fee you will be placed on a number of search engines but they can be vague unknowns. Last year I paid a £42 fee for 400 search engiines but I had never heard of most of them - none of the 'big players' were in there, so we got no enquiries.

Piglet
14-Nov-06, 17:08
Im also a googler.:D

zebedy
14-Nov-06, 17:11
dont beat google!

was a yahooer for years!

google gots the best of me!

Tugmistress
14-Nov-06, 17:47

hiya cedric :)

if you want to search for something with more than one word .. ie hair brush sale, enter into the google bar "hair"+"brush"+"sale" and it brings up the most relevant first.
just pick anything to try it with, with and then without the quote and + sign and see the difference in results you get.
hope that helps.

The_man_from_del_monte
14-Nov-06, 18:29
This will happen - people register with different search engines, usually their own favourite. If you pay your web host a fee you will be placed on a number of search engines but they can be vague unknowns. Last year I paid a £42 fee for 400 search engiines but I had never heard of most of them - none of the 'big players' were in there, so we got no enquiries.

Add your site to Google here (http://www.google.co.uk/addurl/?hl=en&continue=/addurl)

badger
14-Nov-06, 19:18
If it's something short, adding a hyphen will produce the complete result, e.g. happy-birthday. If it's longer just put quotes at both ends, e.g. "happy birthday to you"

Google every time, used it for years.

oldmarine
14-Nov-06, 22:30
Google mostly, then local web sites from there

Google works great for me.

_Ju_
14-Nov-06, 22:33
Try turbo 10 deep web search engine for tougher research

luskentyre
15-Nov-06, 01:02
A good tip when searching, to narrow down the results, is to exclude certain words.

For instance to search for information on the planet Pluto, and remove references to the cartoon dog, enter:-

pluto -disney (space before the hyphen)

You can add multiple words to exclude as well i.e.

pluto -disney -cartoon -dog

Doolally
15-Nov-06, 14:27
I like MSN's new live.com

Ricco
16-Nov-06, 17:13
Add your site to Google here (http://www.google.co.uk/addurl/?hl=en&continue=/addurl)

Thanks, tmfdm. Have used that link to submit the club site. ;)

paris
16-Nov-06, 18:31
Im a googler aswell. jan x

zappster
16-Nov-06, 19:29
Yep im a googler as well

George Brims
16-Nov-06, 21:03
I used to be an Altavista addict, but now use Google almost exclusively. I go back to AV only if Google doesn't throw up the results I'm looking for.

I do have one problem with Google, in that it's particularly prone to giving you a lot of results which are "Middle Man" sites. Say you're looking for a vendor for something specific. Instead of giving you the sites of companies that actually sell that item, you get a lot of those sites that just give you lists of other sites. You search for "Stainless steel widget" and you get a ton of "Click here for the best sources of widgets" "Widget buying network" etc etc. The whole joy of internet purchasing is not having to deal with some useless "sales engineer" who is inserted between you and the vendor purely for the sake of taking a cut off the price. I'm sure these people are "Google bombing" their own sites to improve their rankings too. I've sometime had to go through several pages of this junk before getting to the sites I needed.

Anyway, our secretary's husband works for Google, so I got to complain to someone who can actually do something about it!