PDA

View Full Version : Boxercise

stixie
14-Nov-06, 15:54
I am a recently qualified Boxercise Instructor and am hoping to start classes locally!

Firstly i intend to begin in my own village, Bettyhill, but if there was any interest in Thurso i may look at starting a class there.

I provide all equipment

Boxercise is circuit training with a boxing theme, it can be done by men and women of any age/ability. It is an idela class for toning and improving fitness.

Please look up www.boxercise.co.uk for more information. I may also begin a Boxercie Aerobics class in the future.

The circuit classes i intend to begin soon would last for about an hour and a quarter, they introduce you to the boxing techniques required and also warm up/cool downs.

Boxercise is not a method of self defence, it is purely for improving fitness levels.

If you think you would be interested please reply to this post.

I don't have a clue about possible venues so any info is greatly appreciated.

Also if something like this is already running please let me know!

Thanks

Joanna Johnston

crashbandicoot1979
14-Nov-06, 17:36
I'd certainly be interested if you were to do a class in Thurso. I used to go to Boxercise classes when I lived in Stirling, they were really good fun.

A_Usher
14-Nov-06, 19:06
Good Luck with it,
Our Kickboxercise (class before Kickboxing 101 and MMA 101) class in Dunbeath is going very well, although its more involved than a boxercise class.

Andrew Usher

stixie
14-Nov-06, 20:23
Yes i hope to do the second part of the course which adds kick to the boxercise. However, for now this will be something to go ahead with. The class will be circuits with a Boxing element, so it isn't very involved at all. But good for general toning and fitness.

Thanks for replying so far.

flash
14-Nov-06, 21:48
Hi
Mrs Flash is interested, though not available on tuesdays and wednesdays :D :D

mccaugm
14-Nov-06, 23:49
Love the idea, maybe a wee class in Halkirk might be good. I have done a bit of boxcercise a couple of years ago and loved it.

A_Usher
14-Nov-06, 23:54
Out of curiosity, how long is your course? I hope its not one of the weekend cert courses. The reason I say that, is that you cannot learn the fundamentals of fitness in a weekend, not when you consider physiology, cardio, first aid etc, let alone boxing. Ive been training kickboxing for well over 10 years, and still feel a beginner, and granted you are emphasising fitness, but I have seen countless people come to me who have attended boxercise weekend cert instructors, who have through no fault of there own allowed students to hyperextend their arms whilst throwing fast jabs and crosses.

I was recently teaching muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu at a prominent health club in Inverness where they had a kickboxercise program and was appalled to learn the instructor there, only had a weekends training, and no previous martial arts experience. They where teaching stretching methods and cardio training that many of us would shudder at.

stixie
15-Nov-06, 10:16
My course is a weekend certificate, however the Boxercise i intend to do is circuits, which has a minimal element of boxing! And we were trainined all day to avoid injury, throw correct punches and use correct techniques. I feel confident in using and instructing the correct technique for all i intend to do. I will be a beginner and do not pretend to be otherwise, but i feel the course was informative enough to be confident to instruct on this. I cannot comment on instructors in Inverness, they may have had other training methods or maybe Body Combat which does use other methods and doesn't focus on correct techniques as much.

Also i coach various other sports, am a qualified first aider and weekly take classes where i warm people up and then cool them down. I have experience in fitness, improving fitness, dietetics and most aspects of Health. My job is education children in all these aspects and carrying through to adult hood.

I do agree without the background i have doing this course only does not equip me to become an instrcutor, but combined with my previous experience i feel comfortable to go ahead and offer a class. And being well aware of the correct procedure i can monitor participants and correct any wrong doing.

saxovtr
15-Nov-06, 11:20
sounds good to me,ive been practising boxing for the last 5months so this would be interesting,i will definately go this keep us updated!

Lynseymac
15-Nov-06, 19:34
Sounds like good fun to me. I would defo be interested in coming along if you decide to go ahead with it!! Keep us posted.

whatsherface
15-Nov-06, 23:38
I would definitely be interested in a class in Thurso.