PDA

View Full Version : Missing Canon

Camra
08-Apr-12, 16:14
Anyone know what happenedto the canon ay Wick Riverside ?

Phill
08-Apr-12, 16:28
Aahhh, that reminds me! Yes, where has it gone? I spotted it the other day on the back of a Simpsons trailer, and it has since disappeared from there.

111heather
08-Apr-12, 16:35
it is at wick harbour

Corrie 3
08-Apr-12, 16:45
It has been fired and is now claiming Job Seekers!!!

C3...............:roll:;)

Phill
08-Apr-12, 16:56
it is at wick harbourIs this for defence? Are we expecting an invasion, or is this part of Alex Salmond's future defence force?

Moira
08-Apr-12, 17:27
Anyone know what happenedto the canon ay Wick Riverside ?

Camra, as 111heather says, it is now at Wick Harbour. See this link for details :-
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Historic-cannon-set-for-home-berth-in-Wick-05082011.htm

Moira
08-Apr-12, 17:34
Is this for defence? Are we expecting an invasion, or is this part of Alex Salmond's future defence force?

Didn't hear that one Phill but woe betide any maurading pirates who try to mussel in on the HarbourFest due to take plaice on 16th June.... ;)

Bill Fernie
08-Apr-12, 18:47
A few years ago I began to mention at meetings that it would be an idea to get the canon moved top a position where it could be seen as it had been lost in the trees and bushes for a number of years.

The Harbour Trust took it when I passed on the idea to them last year. I understand the canon is presently being cleaned up at McCaughey's boat builder at Wick harbour. The Harbour authority are trying to find funds to get the cannon placed on a nice plinth with some inscriptions about its history etc. If they can they would like to have it in place before the Harbourfest but this may be subject to accessing the funds to do the work. I am sure it will make good focal point in the harbour.

The postcard from 1925 I mentioned in the John O'Groat Journal article can be seen here
http://www.caithness.org/postcards/caithnesspostcards/photogallery/index.php?gallery=1&image=13

A (http://www.caithness.org/postcards/caithnesspostcards/photogallery/index.php?gallery=1&image=13)mazing what sticks in your memory

sids
08-Apr-12, 20:15
A[/URL]mazing what sticks in your memory

This stupidity will stick in my memory. You have a lot to answer for now.

Moira
08-Apr-12, 20:32

I would guess from this remark that you disagree with the decision to move the Cannon from Wick Riverside to Wick Harbour and made your feelings known to the people involved at the time the decision was taken. What was their response when you got in touch with them?

sids
08-Apr-12, 20:45
I would guess from this remark that you disagree with the decision to move the Cannon from Wick Riverside to Wick Harbour and made your feelings known to the people involved at the time the decision was taken. What was their response when you got in touch with them?

Interesting rhetoric, thanks.

You'll be flabbergasted to hear that the people involved didn't ask me if it was ok!

Moira
08-Apr-12, 21:14
Ah ok.

You don't follow local news then. The newspaper article which I provided the link for is dated August last year. Your opportunity for objecting to the proposal was then so please don't claim that no-one asked you.

If you feel strongly enough about local issues & decisions you'd, at the very least, keep an eye on the local press.

If you feel even more strongly you'd be a member of the local Community Council.

I could go on.......

Remember to PM me your real name & address when you stand for election. I may vote for you if your policies are strong enough.

All best :)

bcsman
08-Apr-12, 21:18
i couldnt agree with you more

Ah ok.

You don't follow local news then. The newspaper article which I provided the link for is dated August last year. Your opportunity for objecting to the proposal was then so please don't claim that no-one asked you.

If you feel strongly enough about local issues & decisions you'd, at the very least, keep an eye on the local press.

If you feel even more strongly you'd be a member of the local Community Council.

I could go on.......

Remember to PM me your real name & address when you stand for election. I may vote for you if your policies are strong enough.

sids
08-Apr-12, 22:07
Ah ok.

I could go on.......

Are you arguing that I should be pleased they moved the cannon? If not, then what exactly is your point of view? I would never disagree that I and God knows who else, should be better all-round citizens but that's a bit oblique in this context.

Moira
08-Apr-12, 22:59
Are you arguing that I should be pleased they moved the cannon? If not, then what exactly is your point of view? I would never disagree that I and God knows who else, should be better all-round citizens but that's a bit oblique in this context..

I'm not arguing at all.

It's good to keep the topic of the removal of the Cannon to the Harbour to the top of the forums Thank you for questioning my motives. :)

smithp
08-Apr-12, 23:19
Thanks to this thread I;ve now recalled 'Frank Cannon' A Quinn Martin production - The running chase scenes where my favourite.

sids
09-Apr-12, 07:41

I'm not arguing at all.

It's good to keep the topic of the removal of the Cannon to the Harbour to the top of the forums Thank you for questioning my motives. :)

Well that's ok, just so long as you continue to avoid any sarcasm.

fender
09-Apr-12, 07:47

The Canon belongs to the harbour Trust. So what's your problem?

sids
09-Apr-12, 08:24
The Canon belongs to the harbour Trust. So what's your problem?

It won't be pointing at Thurso any more!

bcsman
09-Apr-12, 10:20
it will be strane seeing the canon somewhere else,where will it be pointing now?

It won't be pointing at Thurso any more!

sids
09-Apr-12, 13:12
it will be strane seeing the canon somewhere else,where will it be pointing now?

I think they can slew it to face any direction Gaelic signwriters might come from.

Camra
10-Apr-12, 21:02
Thanks for all your replies, now i know. Please consider this thread closed before it degrades into 'handbags at dawn' like so many other threads.