PDA

View Full Version : How can your name live on?

Errogie
08-Apr-12, 12:18
It's sometimes interesting to reflect on how some names remain in our consciousness down through the centuries. The immortality through their art earned by the efforts of a Burns, Shakespeare, Mozart or even the Marquis de Sade are understandable. Then there is the science and invention from James Watt, Marie Curie and Samuel Colt. Will Bill Gates still feature 200 years from now?

But perhaps one of the most interesting momentos to feature in anyone's family tree is to have a disease named after you, e.g. Hodgekinson's lymphona or Huntingdons Chorea and my own very small affliction Dupryn's contraction or Macrimmon's curse (incidently a marker for Norse genes) And of course the infamous Tourettes so beloved of comedians.

Invention, great deeds, art or notoriety how would you like to be remembered in 200 years from now, and would you want to be, when your personal attributes have faded from the memory, of your family and successors?

billmoseley
08-Apr-12, 13:25
as the guy who always had a smile and a joke

Phill
08-Apr-12, 14:37
I don't know how long Dean Lewtas' name will live on, but it is pretty notorious. (he's a grass, apparently)

Rheghead
08-Apr-12, 15:30
I had my dog chipped with my name and address on it. It died 18 months ago and I've always wondered how long my name will live on in the ground.

Moira
08-Apr-12, 21:50
I'd rathered be remembered when I am alive and forgotten about when I'm not.

I don't see Moira being thought about in 200 years time.

Unless they still have google......

Some of my thoughts may prove to be profound, even then....

Or maybe not. :(

Bill Fernie
08-Apr-12, 22:45
Maybe we could do a Caithness.org Forum version of the Rosetta Stone Tablets as suggested by this web site -
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/rosettastone-tablet

I (http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/rosettastone-tablet)magine walking round the Caithness cemeteries in hundreds of years with us all still chatting about things.............err maybe not.

John Little
09-Apr-12, 07:16
I suspect that the answer to how our names can live on lies in having an internet footprint.

Try googling yourself...

Torvaig
09-Apr-12, 09:44
Google only my first and last name using the correct spelling and you get a plethora of us; common lot!

Add my middle initials and that narrows it down a lot!