PDA

View Full Version : Somerfield stores

captain chaos
09-Jan-05, 15:31
Is it just me or do the Somerfield stores seem expensive? Our weekly shop seems to have jumped by about £10 since Somerfield took over. [disgust] [disgust]

After Morrisons bought Safeways prices seemed to go down :) but now they are more expensive than Safeways [disgust]

ian61
09-Jan-05, 16:05
Somerfield is to expensive [disgust] , after morrisons as morrisons were cheaper :lol: than safeway
i hate somerfield + if you dont have your card you dont get there discounts :evil [disgust]

2little2late
09-Jan-05, 16:28
Is it just me or do the Somerfield stores seem expensive? Our weekly shop seems to have jumped by about £10 since Somerfield took over. [disgust] [disgust]

After Morrisons bought Safeways prices seemed to go down :) but now they are more expensive than Safeways [disgust]

HERE WE GO AGAIN. YOU PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY ARE YOU?

captain chaos
09-Jan-05, 16:38
HERE WE GO AGAIN. YOU PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY ARE YOU?

Well excuse me for breating your air!! :~( :~(

And err No Im not happy when I have to spend more for the same goods.

charley9
09-Jan-05, 16:57
I agree with you. I think Somerfields is useless, they are taking over a month to sort out an e-mail I sent to them to complain. I've started doing all my shopping at lidl or co-op.

Rheghead
09-Jan-05, 18:47
I think Somerfield is useless as well.

They have stopped stocking the Zip firelighters which were great. Now it takes twice as much as their firelighter to get a fire going. Yes I have suggested they get them in.
It is not just firelighters the choice is a lot less across the board and they are more expensive.

Jenni
09-Jan-05, 19:52
I have to agree, Somerfield is useless. The prices do seem more expensive and I can't get the same/equivalent products that I am used to buying. Unfortunately I am not keen on the co-op due to the lack of space between food aisles, but I may not have an option soon.

captain chaos
09-Jan-05, 20:09
It’s nice to see that I am not alone in my thinking. :o)

I went to the co-op the other day and must admit to being impressed, the shelves were full and a good selection of fruit and veg was on hand.

They seem to be trying to impress us ex somerfield shoppers.

Mr P Cannop
09-Jan-05, 20:17
It’s nice to see that I am not alone in my thinking. :o)

I went to the co-op the other day and must admit to being impressed, the shelves were full and a good selection of fruit and veg was on hand.

They seem to be trying to impress us ex somerfield shoppers.

was that in Wick or Thurso ??

captain chaos
09-Jan-05, 20:24
Thurso

Gizmo
09-Jan-05, 20:30
Couldnt agree more, Somerfield is very expencive, i do like their range of products though, much better than Safeways or Morrisons, if they would just lower their prices then they would be a fantastic store.

The Co-op in Wick is a shambles of a supermarket, you have to do your shopping early in the morning to have any chance of getting everything you need, if you try going shopping on a friday/saturday after work then the shelves are always empty, all we can hope for is that Tesco does indeed move up here.....now thats a quality supermarket, a 950g Pack of Go-Cat dry food costs £2.09 in Somerfield and £1.55 in Tesco.......can anyone say...Rip Off

daviddd
09-Jan-05, 20:45
yes, I've been shopping at Safeways for 9 years but Somefields is not a patch - cafe is much dearer as is everything else. Hassle having to show your card to get discounts - and the organic stuff has all but disappeared. I like the Co-op but the Thurso shop is such hard work to get around, too small and cramped, and I'm afrid the staff need a rocket under them - whenevr I go in there and queue the checkout lady usually seems to abandon her post to go and talk to her friends, never mind that there are 4 people queueing. Lidl's is OK for most things, though the veg seem to have a short shelf life, for the rest maybe I'll haed to Invershnicky - Tesco's have a great range of organic food and very good choice in everything. l also get to try out a few nice cafe's and browse B&Q!! :D

apollo69
09-Jan-05, 20:59
Singapore - what is your problem?
If people in Caithness feel they are being ripped off that is up to them. If you don't live in the county and think you are superior keep out of the discusssion.
Somerfield IS expensive. I have found the weekly shopping up around 15-20 pound per week. That is a fact not some sort of conspiracy theory or whatever goes on in your mind. We ended up going back to LIDL this week and saved about £30, and will remain there until there's a change at Somerfield. Morrisons was a step in the right direction but Somerfield is back to square one.

Mr P Cannop
09-Jan-05, 21:11
Thurso

was that the big co-op or the one in spring park ??

captain chaos
09-Jan-05, 21:13
The biggy

dirdyweeker
09-Jan-05, 21:54
quote:-

"The Co-op in Wick is a shambles of a supermarket, you have to do your shopping early in the morning to have any chance of getting everything you need,"

I shop in all 3 main grocery shops in Wick but favour the Coop. The staff are the best and anything you ask to have stocked is mostly taken in. If its not on the shelf just ask, it may have just run out.

The Godfather
09-Jan-05, 23:06
Look up next time you are in the Coop in Wick!

EDDIE
10-Jan-05, 00:43
I agree sommerfield isnt very competative we have them here in aberdeen and the range of products isnt all that great u guys really need a asda up there a lot cheaper and u can return things with no hasstle.

girnigoe
10-Jan-05, 00:54
Somerfield :(

The prices are definetly more expensive and the offers seem to be halved compared to when Morrisons ran it. A lot of the things I normally buy have been discontinued!! [mad]

Bring Tescos on!!!!

Rheghead
10-Jan-05, 12:53
EDDIE wrote
u guys really need a asda up there a lot cheaper and u can return things with no hasstle.

Too right!! Why haven't we? At least one with a petrol station attached.

Zael
10-Jan-05, 14:55
Anyone who does all their shopping in one supermarket deserves to pay more.

The best idea is to go to them all, it doesnt take long to work out whats best to get from where.

dirdyweeker
10-Jan-05, 15:43
Look up next time you are in the Coop in Wick!

Why???

Fifi
10-Jan-05, 16:21
Zael, they call them supermarkets 'cos you they are supposed to be super places where you can get everything in one place and not have to trail round other shops! That's what bugs me - having to go to 3 places to get one week's shopping! You ask anyone who has kids of pram age, or is disabled, or hasn't got a car and I am sure they will agree that one-stop shopping is what they want.

EDDIE
10-Jan-05, 18:15
If you had a super market like asda were u can do virtually all your shopping under one roof its cheaper and there very hard to beat on there prices would give all the other retailers a wake up call to be more competitive.I bet in the next 6 months the co up will be the busier than the sommerfield and its a shame for the local people because they dont have a good choice between super markets to go to

The Godfather
10-Jan-05, 18:19
Why??

All over the ceilling of the coop but esspecially over the deli counter are great big patches of mold. It's disgusting looking. They really arent trying to make their store look nice at all.

Rheghead
13-Jan-05, 15:48
Somerfield do supply biodegradable carrier bags, as do the Co-op.

katarina
13-Jan-05, 20:18
[quote="EDDIE"]If you had a super market like asda were u can do virtually all your shopping under one roof its cheaper

I know they are looking for land to build a supermarket here.]

squidge
14-Jan-05, 10:55

Whoopee do

Thats all very well but choosing to shop somewhere more expensive on the grounds that "well they have biodegradable carreir bags" isnt a luxury i can afford.

Rheghead
14-Jan-05, 11:04

Whoopee do

Thats all very well but choosing to shop somewhere more expensive on the grounds that "well they have biodegradable carreir bags" isnt a luxury i can afford.

I was merely pointing out a fact.

linzy222
14-Jan-05, 12:47
I was in this morning and they have some good offers on, thats the only reason i go in there to see what offers r on, i don't do shopping there!!

Just before xmas they were selling DVD players for £19.99 where else could u find that deal?

And big tv combi's £69.99

When i was in today they r selling hoovers like dyson for £54.99 don't know what like they will be but u get what u pay for i suppose and if they break down u just go straight back with it, i might get one myself.

bacardibabe
15-Jan-05, 17:00
has anyone had money off vouchers for their next shopping in wick?in thurso i know a few people who received vouchers.in wick i havent been handed any.

Naefearjustbeer
15-Jan-05, 17:44
I think you have to spend over a certain amount before you get vouchers. I have never had a voucher when I go in for 1 or 2 things and never have a saver card with me. When I go with the wife and do a big weekly shop she always remembers the saver card and we quite often get a voucher for money off (In Thurso)

linzy222
15-Jan-05, 17:53
When u spend £10 u get £1 off your next £10 u spend and if u spend £20 u get £2 off and so on, but u do need a savers card to get it!!

U also get 2 mini cards u put on your car keys so u don't need to take your big card with u

So if your wife has a card u take the mini 1 coz if u don't usually do the shopping u don't need the big card, but 1 day u might go in for a paper or something and spot a good deal!! :D

Naefearjustbeer
15-Jan-05, 18:09
When I pop in to buy a loaf and a pint of milk that is what I get(ok sometimes I buy beer but I actually prefer lidls beer). When the wife pops in to get the same she usually comes out with lots of bags!!

linzy222
15-Jan-05, 18:36
Does she not get a voucher??

I always get 1 if i spend over the tenner and thats not often, but i never give it back coz it has ran out by the time i go back in!!

Alli
15-Jan-05, 20:02
I shop in all three stores as well, and since Somerfield have come here the PRICES ARE DEARER. Tesco have a much better range but have a larger buying power than most stores so that is why they can keep their prices down. If Tesco does indeed arrive in Caithness then you can be assured that both the Co-op and Somerfield will suffer!I spent £47.23 in Somerfield on Friday night and did not recieve any of these vouchers that you have mentioned. I am going to ask tomorrow when I go for the Sunday papers and I will take my receipt with me as well. l

katarina
15-Jan-05, 20:55
[quote="linzy222"]I was in this morning and they have some good offers on, thats the only reason i go in there to see what offers r on, i don't do shopping there!!

We bought one of the big tellies. I was told it would probably not have a good picture, but so far it has been brilliant. The picture is every bit as good as the similar sized one I bought from Graham Beggs for almost £600.
I'll just have to wait and see if it lasts the pace. Bush is a recognised make, so it should be all right.

AR
17-Jan-05, 23:01
Have you ever been in the tesco in Aviemore? It makes anywhere in Caithness seem cheep!!!
Since safeway became somerfield my shopping has not got up noticeibly, but my penny pinching mother says loads of things are dearer, but she does notice 1p increases, cant understand , other than i dont think we would buy two items the same.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 11:36
The standard (correct me if I'm wrong - and I'm sure you will) of living in Caithness is arguably the highest in the country, so don't feel too hard done by the supermarket's pricing.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 15:10
Furthermore. I live in a very expensive city - you pay through the nose just to stand still. So I'd be interested to compare corner grocery shops. I mean, how much is it for a tin of Heinz Tomato soup in, say, the Co-Op in Springpark (or is it Mount Vernon? anyway)? My local shop sells it at 99p a can. Now that's expensive.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Jan-05, 15:22
Furthermore. I live in a very expensive city - you pay through the nose just to stand still. So I'd be interested to compare corner grocery shops. I mean, how much is it for a tin of Heinz Tomato soup in, say, the Co-Op in Springpark (or is it Mount Vernon? anyway)? My local shop sells it at 99p a can. Now that's expensive.

local corner shops are nearly always more expensive than super markets unless they have a bogof offer. The diffference is if you only need 1 tin of heinz soup you might pop in to the corner shop and spend 99p rather than take the car/bus/taxi to the big supermarket. You would only do this if you were doing a weeks groceries and you would then justify taking the car/bus/taxi because of the savings you would make buy buying from tescos. Also you dont mention if your local corner shop is part of a chain or if it is an independant retailer as this can make a big difference in prices.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 15:32
Patronising, to say the least. But I'll forgive you for that. I said I was comparing corner grocery stores - not supermarkets. Independent or chain store? I'm not bothered.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Jan-05, 15:43
Your forgiveness is not required thanks

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 17:00
No sweat.

Idlewild
18-Jan-05, 19:52
I heard on the radio today that out of every £8 spent in British shops (dunno if thats all shops or only chain stores!) Tesco make a £1, £1 out of every £8 spent! And considering the time I spend in the 24hr one in Inverness I probably helped them along!

Safeways used to have different prices for different areas of the country. My friend worked in one in London and it was really expensive and was one of the most expensive, When they came up here on holiday they were horrified to discover that we were also being charged the higher rate!!

I have also noticed Somerfield to be quite pricey, maybe they work the same way as Safeways?

skydivvy
18-Jan-05, 22:06
I think you have to spend over a certain amount before you get vouchers. I have never had a voucher when I go in for 1 or 2 things and never have a saver card with me. When I go with the wife and do a big weekly shop she always remembers the saver card and we quite often get a voucher for money off (In Thurso)

I often have big shop in wick - I've never had vouchers.

Blabber Mooth
20-Jan-05, 23:09
I was speaking to someone who works in the Wick store, and seemingly they have had problems with the machine since they opened... ( just had to be in Wick, what a surprise.) Also asked if the cards held a record of some sort, and would we eventually get the vouchers...I was told to ask the manager if I had any queries and he would explain fully! Aye right! We'd get some crappy story to keep us in Wick quiet!!

skydivvy
21-Jan-05, 09:53
I was speaking to someone who works in the Wick store, and seemingly they have had problems with the machine since they opened... ( just had to be in Wick, what a surprise.) Also asked if the cards held a record of some sort, and would we eventually get the vouchers...I was told to ask the manager if I had any queries and he would explain fully! Aye right! We'd get some crappy story to keep us in Wick quiet!!

maybe we should keep all our reciepts, so when they do stat coming, we can demand back dated ones?

Bellz
24-Jan-05, 21:44
[mad] - I can't believe that so many of you would waste your time complaining about Somerfield. If you don't want to pay over the odds then go to the co-op or Lidl. The point is, why bother complaining about something you can't change. Somerfield set their prices and there's no use compaining about it, it's not gonna change a thing. [mad] P.s. Not every price within the store is more expensive, and the full somerfield range isn't there yet (in Wick anyways). It's being gradually integrated.

Naefearjustbeer
25-Jan-05, 02:15
We now do most of our shopping elsewhere as somerfield is more expensive for the thing we normally buy. Some of the somerfield own range is very poor quality for what you get. Vote with your wallets they cant overcharge you for poor quality stuff if you dont go into the shop in the first place.

linzy222
25-Jan-05, 12:01
The point really is do the somerfield stores down the line like Inverness and Aberdeen charge the same prices as what they do up here?

I take it they do, and if u lived in Inverness or Aberdeen,and u didn't like the prices u wouldn't shop there as there's loads more shops to choice from, but they must do good business or they wouldn't be open!!

girnigoe
25-Jan-05, 15:32
Last year we were on holiday in Berwick and we shopped at Somerfield there and we were really impressed with it!! We thought it was dead cheap and were chuffed when we heard they were coming here. We had a huge dissapointment though!!

I cant really remember the prices exactly to compare but on the whole what we bought was much the same as at home in Safeway and it was a good bit cheaper.

jay
25-Jan-05, 16:30
unlike safeway, somerfield are charging the same prices throughout the country, I don't know if they are that more expensive as I find that although the prices on the shelf might be dearer when you get to the checkout and use your savers card, there is always money to come off bringing the total back to much the same as safeways or the co-op, even without the coupons I've had two or three pounds deducted from my total.

Has anyone tried asking the management if they have a complaints procedure and complaining to somerfield instead of here?

Rheghead
25-Jan-05, 19:12
I think it would be a good idea if it were possible to donate those vouchers to the tsunami appeal if you think you won't return to the store before the expiry date.

colmac
26-Jan-05, 22:25
I honestly think that my weekly shopping bill has stayed the same since Somerfields took over. I find the fruit and veg well stocked every time I am in the Thurso shop, never have to queue long at the checkouts and they have reintroduced a few items that Morrisons got rid of when they took over. Somerfields own brand is far superior to Morrisons, the only thing I miss about Morrisons is their carrier bags! They were brilliant. I think all you have to do to get your shopping at a reasonable price is to remember to use your Somerfield card! How difficult is that?

katarina
27-Jan-05, 09:58
I honestly think that my weekly shopping bill has stayed the same since Somerfields took over. I find the fruit and veg well stocked every time I am in the Thurso shop, never have to queue long at the checkouts and they have reintroduced a few items that Morrisons got rid of when they took over. Somerfields own brand is far superior to Morrisons, the only thing I miss about Morrisons is their carrier bags! They were brilliant. I think all you have to do to get your shopping at a reasonable price is to remember to use your Somerfield card! How difficult is that?

I haven't noticed any significant rise in price either, and the store is always busy - so can't be that bad.