PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Springer Opera

RandomHero
09-Jan-05, 14:23
Fantastic show! Watched it last night on BBC2 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And as for it being banned? I totally disagree. If you don't like it, don't watch it. If we started banning everything that people find offensive, we'll have nothing left. If you want to ban this piece of theatre, might aswell stop putting up christmas decorations because of course that's offensive to muslims... :roll:

The show is really good and i'd recommend it to anyone who likes musicals and the theatre. Don't ban this show!!

bird
09-Jan-05, 14:36
Tend to agree - enough channels to choose from if you want to swithch if off!! It certainly wasn't any worse than the show itself, so why ban it?!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, very brave of Beeb2 to show it in first place - it's the sort o thing you would usually catch on Channel 4 or 5.

Rheghead
09-Jan-05, 18:54
The protesters outside the BBC are committing the ultimate sin in my book.

They are using their freedom of speech to protest about freedom of speech

The show seems to be in bad taste and is not for me but I won't try to to stop anyone watching it if its their thing.

I think adults should be mature enough to switch off the TV when they see something that is offensive or unsuitable for children.

The Godfather
09-Jan-05, 23:12
Well I thought it was a load of tripe ma self and watched Jackie Brown.

Tilter
10-Jan-05, 11:31
Thought it was brilliant. Had me laughing out loud. Of course it's in bad taste - that's what JS is about and why it was funny. But it had its serious side too. In fact, I tried to start a string on it myself right after it aired, but aol kept booting me off. Think it was the wind.

Well done the Beeb and, as you say, protestors would be better employed learning where their OFF switch is than taking to the streets. What is their problem?

I liked the fact that it looked like a stage production and wasn't 'adapted for TV'. I wish they'd put more shows on telly - after all, I reckon it would cost us over £500 to go see a show.

I remember going up to the West End to see Jesus Christ Superstar - that must have been the early 70's - and I think there was a hoo-ha about that too but I can't for the life of me remember why now.

BUT - the music - it wasn't that great was it? Will anyone remember any one tune enough to go around whistling like they do the Toreador from Carmen or shouting Figaro from the bathtub?

PS will somebody tell me how to do those emoticon thingies? I can't drag and drop them.

Rheghead
10-Jan-05, 11:44
Tilter wrote
I remember going up to the West End to see Jesus Christ Superstar - that must have been the early 70's - and I think there was a hoo-ha about that too but I can't for the life of me remember why now.

Christians were in a hoo-ha when Roman numerals were dropped in favour or arabic numerals. Christians were in a hoo-ha when Angels were dropped. They will be in a Hoo-ha when God is dropped, that's PROGRESS!

Anyway, Jesus was portrayed as a nappy wearing Homosexual in the JS opera. What was wrong with that? I cannot find any reference in the Bible to say he was not a homosexual or he never wore a nappy. I cannot see anything wrong with being homosexual (if thats your thing) or wearing a nappy for that matter. Though they have hurt lately with those sticky tapes on my tummy hair...oops!

I believe in God though, but I call him Energy.

Tilter
10-Jan-05, 22:40
Rheghead,
Yeah - lots of hoo-ha about all things religious.

But Jesus wasn't wearing a nappy, not the way I saw it. The chat show individual in the first act was wearing a nappy. But then when Springer got shot and was dying, he started hallucinating about having JC, Virgin Mary, etc., on his show. The same actor/singer that played the chat show guest also played JC in JS's head, but by that time he was actually wearing a loincloth. It was totally different from the nappy. The nappy had the old fashioned pins at the sides, whereas the loincloth was standard JC issue as depicted on crosses all over the world. Get it?

Rheghead
10-Jan-05, 23:05
Tilter wrote
The nappy had the old fashioned pins at the sides, whereas the loincloth was standard JC issue as depicted on crosses all over the world. Get it?

Yes I do get it, we have absolutely no idea what Jesus really looked like. He may have had short hair, a big belly, cross eyes, big feet or albino red eyes. There is no reference in the Bible on his looks, dress sens or his sexual behaviour. We must assume that if he was a man then he had all the urges and frailties of mankind yeh? One thing is for sure, he reached his 30s, there is no direct reference that he took a wife, but he did spend a lot of his spare time in the company of adoring male disciples...Hmmm sounds suspicious to me
My mother would certainly ask me some discreet questions about my behavior if I acted the same

It is just presumptious (or just downright racist) of the Church to portray him as a tall, good looking, long haired caucasian. Or do I not get it?

The Angel Of Death
11-Jan-05, 11:09
Just like the film Dogma which is very funny God is portrayed as a woman and Chris rock was the 13th apostle and he was black but it was all wrote out of the bible as they couldn't have a black apostle the whole film is a laugh from start to finish well worth a watch but again the christians had a good old moan about it when it was released as with everything else if it offends then dont watch it !!!

Tilter
11-Jan-05, 21:12
Rheghead wrote:

'Is it just presumptious (or just downright racist) of the Church to portray him as a tall, good looking, long haired caucasian. Or do I not get it?'

Probaby. People create God in their own image, so it would depend on what the elders of the particular church looked like. It follows that Jerry Springer saw God as a very fat Elvis. You probably see God as a photon or something. I can't seem to get a glimpse at all.

If Jesus was gay in the opera, it went over my head. But then, who cares? Not me.

Random Hero said: 'If you want to ban this piece of theatre, might aswell stop putting up christmas decorations because of course that's offensive to muslims... '

And this is verging on an argument that really gets up my nose - there was a lot of it going on re the Springer Opera, i.e., why shouldn't this be banned when that anti-muslim play in Birmingham was banned? WHEN WHEN when will people realise it's OK to lampoon the majority (Christianity in this issue) and to lampoon oneself, but that it's not quite so OK to ridicule or further marginalise a minority.

Help. I still can't do these emoticons. How hard can this be?

Rheghead
11-Jan-05, 22:11
Tilter wrote
Probaby. People create God in their own image, so it would depend on what the elders of the particular church looked like. It follows that Jerry Springer saw God as a very fat Elvis. You probably see God as a photon or something. I can't seem to get a glimpse at all.

When I was young I was told by religous people the following:-

God is everywhere

God is light

God created the universe

God was the burning bush

God moves in mysterious ways

God is love.

Well I see it now, I do believe in God.

Moslems call him Allah, Christians call him God, Jews call him Jehovah, Hindus have many names for allsorts of Gods etc etc etc.

My God is called Energy.
Energy is everywhere
Energy is light
Energy created the Universe
Energy was that flame in that bush
Energy can change form from heat to light to kinetic to chemical forms
Energy is stored in the chemical bonds that are formed in my brain that is responsible for feelings of love.

Yes I do believe in God, but my God does not have the guilt in killing thousands of people in natural disasters or have the honour of making people perform acts of great compassion, nor is he worthy of worship as he never listens, He is just there for me...

RandomHero
11-Jan-05, 23:40
i was very annoyed when i found out about the play in birmingham that was banned. not that i would have gone all the way down to see it but just the fact that was cancelled got up my nose. we should stop worrying about offending people and stop catering for people's individual wants. if you don't like it, don't look at it. but what these fools don't realise is that if you protest about a play/tv show ect. it just gives it a bigger hype and people will go out of their way 2 see it.

as for the appearence of jesus (oh how we digress) i don't think it's for anyone to say. not even the film dogma or jesus christ superstar. but i find it's interesting to see what people think he looks like. he could've been white, black or just slightly tanned. anything for that matter. it's what we make him. when you think about, no-one really knew what william wallace looked like. i can bet we didn't look like mel gibson for a start! [lol]

DrSzin
12-Jan-05, 01:29
Mein Gott!

Are my eyes deceiving me? A meandering mishmash of a theological motion from Rheghead is followed by an apparently coherent and cognisant post from random_hero.

It must be something to do with today's excess of wind...

Keep it up guys, you two are good value tonight!

Rheghead
12-Jan-05, 09:42
I always try to please :lol: