PDA

View Full Version : Payouts for Junkies

connieb19
13-Nov-06, 20:22
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006520690,00.html
[evil] When is the law ever going to be on the side of the victims?

mums angels
13-Nov-06, 20:23
Absolutly ridiculous !!! [evil]

JAWS
13-Nov-06, 20:31
I absolutely agree, but we elected all the Governments which gave away ultimate control of our Legal System to others.

Billy Boy
13-Nov-06, 20:36
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006520690,00.html
[evil] When is the law ever going to be on the side of the victims?

never lol, and as its the tax payers money that pays them it will therefor probably be the victims who pay them [disgust]

golach
13-Nov-06, 20:41
Its Human Rights gone crazy, I wonder if the victims of the crimes these junkies committed got any compensation, some how I don't think so. Our Justice system is crazy, and I am not pointing the finger at any particular Govermnent, IMO our Government made a biggest mistake by signing up to the Human Rights Act away back in 1951.

weeboyagee
13-Nov-06, 20:43
I have no time for drugs, absolutely none. I have just had to listen to a certain young lad tell me recently that, after promising me that he would never touch durgs, he has tried it!

I didn't know whether to be mad or to be hurt! Now I, probably like others, will always wonder if the lecture and the following promise will be the truth,......until the next temptation......I wouldn't ask for him to serve cold turkey along with the punishment for a crime. Don't ask me what I would have thought BEFORE I heard the recent admission! :eyes

Sure, the settlement should never have happened, but making the prisoners do cold turkey is just asking for trouble in the courts! Had they not been made to do cold turkey they wouldn't have had a case and there would have been no pay out!

Lack of thought. Now the ultimate offence has taken place - against the victims who suffered at their hands.

percy toboggan
13-Nov-06, 20:45
Another sign of Great Britain's descent into madness and mediocrity.

golach
13-Nov-06, 20:53
Sure, the settlement should never have happened, but making the prisoners do cold turkey is just asking for trouble in the courts! Had they not been made to do cold turkey they wouldn't have had a case and there would have been no pay out!
Lack of thought. Now the ultimate offence has taken place - against the victims who suffered at their hands.

Are you saying WBG that convicted criminals who are junkies, i.e someone who takes ileagal substances and is dependent on them should be treated as a convict that has Diabetes, I am sorry I dont think so.

weeboyagee
13-Nov-06, 21:03
No golach - not quite. What I am saying is that the fact that they were made to do cold turkey has landed up with a payment settlement out of court. So by the lack of applied thought from start to finish we have landed up with the result that everyone finds hard to stomach.

I did say that I wouldn't like to see my young friend do cold turkey if he were the criminal - not anyone else, and I think you know from our similar posts months ago that I have little time for drugs and drug takers.

Better explained?

unicorn
13-Nov-06, 21:15
The worlds gone crazy :(

Naefearjustbeer
14-Nov-06, 11:38
Hey I have an idea why not supply these criminals as much drugs as they want in prison. Then maybe we wouldnt have to worry about them ever leaving prison and commiting more crime. Just think piles and piles of heroin for them from drug busts etc free for them to tuck into any time they want. I tell you what court would even give the time of day to such a claim it is madness. The country is getting so PC about things that criminals have better rights and more protection than the law abiding citizens. It is about time we brought back hanging.

j4bberw0ck
14-Nov-06, 11:47
Just think piles and piles of heroin for them from drug busts etc free for them to tuck into any time they want.

Nice idea!

j4bberw0ck
14-Nov-06, 11:53
The payouts are the Government's own fault (as usual). My first reaction to this story was the same as everyone else's but it was better explained on the news last night.

In 2002 the Government passed regulations requiring prisoners to receive the same standards of medical care as anyone else. They then didn't supply methadone as their own rules required them to do. Prisoners have almost all the legal rights of ordinary people, and so some smart lawyer somewhere decided to sue. The Govt can't afford to let it go to Court and be ruled against as that opens claims for medical negligence (biiig money), so they settled out of court.

Yes, it's crazy but it is the law. You can't restrict prisoners rights ad hoc (Human Rights etc) but it was pointed out that in most other European countries if you're a junkie and you get locked up, there's no drug treatments or substitutes AT ALL. Seems fair to me.

katarina
14-Nov-06, 12:21
This is ridiculous from a government who can't afford to employ enough social workers to stop trouble before it starts.

Ricco
14-Nov-06, 16:35
This is certainly PC gone crazy. When someone breaks the law (ie commits a crime against humanity) how the blazes can they lay claim to losing their 'human rights'? Criminals don't give a monkey's about human rights - that's why they are criminals. These people have just managed to find another loop-hole by which to screw the system. [disgust]

pat
14-Nov-06, 18:09
If an alcoholic enters prison now do the authorities have to supply that person with alcohol - same situation as drugs, just a different addicition - so what will happen now?
Will all prisoners now be drug and alcohol addicts and thoroughly enjoy life in prison - better life than the OAPs.

The_man_from_del_monte
14-Nov-06, 18:40
Just because someone's in a prison doesn't mean they lose their rights. So if a prisoner breaks his leg you'd be against him receiving medical attention? To not have a detox system in place in a prison is just barbaric, I think "more" taxpayers money should be invested into the prison system and money spent on trying to rehabilitate and help people... not just bang them up and expect them to come out the other end model citizens.

weeboyagee
14-Nov-06, 18:57
This is certainly PC gone crazy. When someone breaks the law (ie commits a crime against humanity) how the blazes can they lay claim to losing their 'human rights'? Criminals don't give a monkey's about human rights - that's why they are criminals. These people have just managed to find another loop-hole by which to screw the system.
Not all criminals don't give a monkey's about human rights. Some are victims of circumstance, failed by a system or failed by society. Take the "criminal" who lashed out after years of abuse and killed the tormentor - their own human rights abused for a long time - lands up in prison to be punished for being a victim of the circumstances of their unfortunate life. The normal guy on the street, bullied into being "part of the gang" that takes to drugs, sure he has the ability to say no - but dare he???? Pressurised by the gang he launches into a habit he really didn't want to try, gets hooked, has to feed his habit any way he can, commits crimes, lands up in prison - throw away the key there - or try and rehabilitate into society by using the prison system effectively to do what it is supposed to do. Not all criminals are rapists and murderers. Or are we secretly now thinking - yeah, treat those who we reckon will respond and not re-offend and to heck with the rest, let them suffer?

I still hold to the point I made earlier and I think that j4bberw0cky is at least considering - if the governments system had not started the problem, it wouldn't have had to fix the problem by paying out in the manner it did - now look at the case of worms it has opened up!!!!

connieb19
14-Nov-06, 19:48
Will the victims of these criminals be able to sue them now? :confused

j4bberw0ck
14-Nov-06, 21:54
Just because someone's in a prison doesn't mean they lose their rights. So if a prisoner breaks his leg you'd be against him receiving medical attention?

Now, now, Man from Del Monte..... take a few deep breaths and focus your mind.............

It is not illegal in this country to break your leg.
It is illegal in this country to possess or consume proscribed drugs, like heroin or non-prescribed methadone.

Repeat as necessary until clearly understood.

To not have a detox system in place in a prison is just barbaric

Oh, I don't know......... as someone else said on here, if they're in there in the first place it's likely because someone else suffered. And even those models of liberalism and kindheartedness, the Swedes, don't have detox programs in place.

JAWS
14-Nov-06, 23:16
Now, now, folks, you really must get this right! On the Radio at tea-time a nice man from one of the Human Rights Groups explained it all.
It is all big fibs!

It seems that the Prisoners were not given the heroine substitute Methadone against Medical Advice. (I make an assumption here that they were being prescribed Methadone by their GPs prior to going to Prison although the nice man didn't say so)
As a result this, along with all the other nasty fibs people believe, has nothing to do with the wonderful Human Rights Act which is really there to protect nice little old ladies. (OK, he said everybody)
What has happened is all about Medical Negligence because of the "going against Medical Advice".

On the off chance that I may, at some time, inadvertently fall foul of the Law and end up in Prison I am making an appointment with my Doctor.
I am sure that I can convince him to give me medical advice that I cannot be confined due to my claustrophobia. That I can only sleep using silk sheets. That my food must be prepared by a cordon-bleu chef. That any clothes I wear must be made by a tailor on Saville Row and that I must have at least three months holiday in the Caribbean between November and March.
Oh, yes, and about my phobia for locked doors!

Now remember, this is not about Human Rights, it’s about following Medical Advice. Honest it is. No, really!

And the Moon really is made of Green Cheese!

connieb19
14-Nov-06, 23:25
What next, Prisoners complaining they dont get to spend Christmas Day with their families? :roll:

golach
14-Nov-06, 23:30
What next, Prisoners complaining they dont get to spend Christmas Day with their families? :roll:
Connie, thats going to happen, 1500 prisoners are being released for Christmas home leave, to ease the pressure on the Jails down in England, up here we send them to Castle Huntly near Longforgan in Perthshire and they walked out protesting that there was.......wait for it....too much Heroin in the prison [disgust]

j4bberw0ck
15-Nov-06, 00:02
JAWS, I'm dismayed at your cynicism. Truly, I am. :lol::lol:

Tristan
15-Nov-06, 08:17
What has happened is all about Medical Negligence because of the "going against Medical Advice".

On the plus side that should mean the NHS and the government can't deny all the honest tax payers the medical treatment and drugs they need.