PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know the prospective county councillors

Rheghead
05-Apr-12, 19:38
I see that Alex Macleod (SNP) for Landward has been the only one so far to do a ditty on the Homepage of the org to let us know who he is and what his vision for the future is all about.

I'd like to know if they are working or retired because if they are working then the council will have to pay them remuneration payments for when they are attending meetings. Voting for a retired person is a vote for experience and better value for money.

RecQuery
05-Apr-12, 21:44
I see that Alex Macleod (SNP) for Landward has been the only one so far to do a ditty on the Homepage of the org to let us know who he is and what his vision for the future is all about.

I'd like to know if they are working or retired because if they are working then the council will have to pay them remuneration payments for when they are attending meetings. Voting for a retired person is a vote for experience and better value for money.

Yeah, that's ageism. Playing Devil's advocate you could say that a retired person is tired, out of touch and stuck in their ways. I'm glad we don't like in a gerontocracy.

One thing I do dislike with elections is when people run for an area or region they don't even live in. You should have to live in place for at least 6 months if not a year before being allowed to run.

Corrie 3
05-Apr-12, 21:47
What a cheap, short sighted view you have of local Council Rheggy!!
Just because you vote for an older person doesn't mean you are getting the best!! (just think for a minute about voting for Golach or myself)!!! :eek:
Alex and Nick Noble are just the sort of younger people we need to go into local Politics, if they have passion, and fire in their bellies then that's fine by me!
And..............The older ones tend to take things for granted, like, they will be voted in again the next time round so why should they work their butt off and worry!!!
I have every faith in Alex, he will be getting my vote, I like his stance on the pot hole problem but will still be giving him some grief over the wind turbine blight on our County!!!

C3................;)

Bobinovich
05-Apr-12, 21:49
It would also be advisable for someone seeking public office to at least run a spell check over their text before making it public - "...bitchumen..." I ask ya :eek:!

gleeber
05-Apr-12, 21:56
Don't be so pernickity Bob there's non of us perfect. :lol:
Im not standing for the election but if i was I would say something similar to what the guy on the front page said. Mind you I could never say that because I havnt got a hard enough neck. I honestly believe one the the most important factors of a successful politician is a hard neck. Most politicians are honourable but politics is not a particulary honourable profession. Its an important job though. I still dont know who to vote for. Its a pity some of them didnt make themselves known to the forums. We could sort the world out in the lentgh of a medium sized thread. Last man left standing didnt win. He just had the hardest neck.

Sgitheanach
05-Apr-12, 22:55
It is the younger generation that are the future most retired people are out of touch with the issues that matter to normal people . You need to know a bit about the people that are standing for election because anyone can claim to want this or that on a leaflet but how do you know if that is what they actually plan on doing .

gleeber
05-Apr-12, 23:03
That's the main problem with politics. Everyone has an idea but they have to come to a decision. I would like to see more whippersnappers standing for election. Maybe they would be a bit more daring.

Dadie
05-Apr-12, 23:35
I for one dont care about age of the councillors, just the passion they have, of getting things done!
And replying to people on issues they have had and what they have done.
Actions mean more than words or age or experience ..though some experience would help with actions doesnt mean the councillors have to be retired from work ..just that they need to be more world savvy!

badger
06-Apr-12, 11:55
Don't be so pernickity Bob there's non of us perfect. :lol:

There's a difference between spelling mistakes in a post or email. This is a public document canvassing support and if he can't spell (which lots of perfectly intelligent people can't) he should at least have got someone to proof read. Just for interest I put that word into my spell check and it couldn't cope with it - came up with pitchmen/pitchman which sounds baseballish? (that's not a word either). Doesn't say much for our education system if someone who has studied law can be careless about checking his work. Be interesting to see what wonderful promises for the future the other candidates manage. Do they really think we believe them?