PDA

View Full Version : Which Broadband

Baconbuttie
13-Nov-06, 18:42
Looking at broadband at the moment. Talk Talk seem to have a very good deal at 18.99 including line rental. Tiscali also looks OK. Anyone got any recommendations.

jinglejangle
13-Nov-06, 18:48
Looking at broadband at the moment. Talk Talk seem to have a very good deal at 18.99 including line rental. Tiscali also looks OK. Anyone got any recommendations.

I just got my sister a broadband package with AOL - they do line rental at £14.99 [as much minutes as you want] but you need to sign up for a year. By recommending my sister we both get a £25 cheque sent to us if she is on-line for more than 45 days.

Mr_Me19
13-Nov-06, 19:33
I agree 100% with the AOL reccomendation. However i will warn you to be extremely careful with the modem that you use. When we got AOL we recieved a BT Voyager 105 modem. This has been the cause of countless problems. It causes the computer to load extremely slowly and the driver is extremely faulty. It causes the computer to crash about once a week. There is no updates for it. If you get this one see if you can do anything to get another. Hope this helps!

jinglejangle
13-Nov-06, 21:14
I agree 100% with the AOL reccomendation. However i will warn you to be extremely careful with the modem that you use. When we got AOL we recieved a BT Voyager 105 modem. This has been the cause of countless problems. It causes the computer to load extremely slowly and the driver is extremely faulty. It causes the computer to crash about once a week. There is no updates for it. If you get this one see if you can do anything to get another. Hope this helps!

I got broadband installed about 3 months ago and was given the BT Voyager 190 and have had no problems with it. Maybe confirm you wouldn't get the one quoted above.

maidencaithness
14-Nov-06, 10:17

Changed from AOHell to TalkTalk last month and have had no problems pay £30 a month for line rental, 8mb broadband and all local/national calls. Was paying £55 between BT & AOL before. Also AOL was not running as fast in last couple of months with them even having 8mb connection. Only draw back is TalkTalk don't include modem/router and don't provide support unless you use their own one which is £30.

Have a friend who swears by Tiscali but when I went on their site said couldn't get their 8mb package even though already had that with AOL!

frank ward
14-Nov-06, 14:21
I got Tiscali a few months ago, nothing to sing about but adequate.

The spam filtering on Tiscali email is non-existent unless you pay extra for it, whereas UKonline provide it for free, so I still use my old Email address.

I expect to change next year when my contract is up.

Beware paying extra for 8mb packages, frequently you local phone exchange/line can only handle 2mb, which is fast enough anyway unless you plan to download tons of stuff. Check with BT.

Friends advised me to stay away from AOL.
The BT package at the time included a wireless router, not to be sniffed at.

pedromcgrory
27-Nov-06, 02:37
i have a disk we modem drivers for voyager 105 if ud like to borrow it to reinstall if ur still using it as it stated pm me if u want to ,ive had no probs we aol im on platinum 2 was 35 now down to 30 p,m ats been nearlly 3 years same modem ,no hassle .plus i recommened 5 of my mates for package like stated after so many days u recieve a check sure if ur on package im on its 50 pound check u recieve each customer

peedie
27-Nov-06, 20:25
we've got pipex, have had no problems service is very good £30 a month for line rental, all landline calls (anytime) and 8mb broadband, you dont get a wireless modem however
also the customers service when i used it to set up was very good, i never had a long wait! never used it since however could be a different story now they have my money :Razz