PDA

View Full Version : Abusing Kindness??

bobsgirl
13-Nov-06, 18:13
Just wondering how you would feel if you sold something (much lower than you would normally) to someone who gave the impression that they were in need of items desperately (to save them buying new due to lack of finances), and then found out that they were trying to sell the items on for more?

Would you say that is right or wrong?? What would you do if it happened to you? How would you feel?

Personally I would ask for the items back at the cost it was purchased for, but only because the situation was basically abused!

People should not be asking for these items if they are not required!! I guess some people like to lie to make money!!! Not good!! :mad:

krieve
13-Nov-06, 18:35
If that happened to me i would be pretty hacked off to be honest.[disgust]

unicorn
13-Nov-06, 18:37
I would be absolutely furious and tell everyone I knew so that they would know not to fall for the same scam.

bobsgirl
13-Nov-06, 18:39
I am in the process of telling that person so soon all may be revealed!! Depending on their reply!!

mums angels
13-Nov-06, 19:33
I'd be a little hurt and feel a bit of a fool :(

dragonfly
13-Nov-06, 19:42
I too would be furious and hurt - fraid I'd go for the name and shame option!

htwood
13-Nov-06, 21:42
You sold the goods to get something from it...both money and the good feeling that an act of kindness brings.

That person bought the goods because they needed something.....either the goods, or the extra money that could be got from selling on.

Where it goes wrong is when you realize they're selling on, but you could get that feeling of kindness again if you think that you still are helping them get what they wanted.

I'd be hurt if this happened to me, and would be careful the next time. Don't know if I would call them out, maybe would just consider what the real definition of poor is. Poor in spirit, poor in trust, poor in loyalty?

j4bberw0ck
13-Nov-06, 22:21
consider what the real definition of poor is. Poor in spirit, poor in trust, poor in loyalty?

Excellent reply, which puts a slant on it I wouldn't have thought of for quite some while, I think.

But since you've raised it - not perhaps as an excuse, but as a mitigation? - would the same logic not apply to someone who mugs you? Is it not at the crux of the argument here that bobsgirl freely made a personal sacrifice (i.e. accepted less money) as a personal "gift" to benefit someone less fortunate, and that person repaid the sacrifice by profiting without telling her that was the intention?

I see what you're driving at but I'd feel very badly let down.

bobsgirl
13-Nov-06, 23:23
Had it not been known in the first place that the items would be sold on then it probably would not have bothered me.....just the fact that when the person bought the item they then went back and asked for advise to the seller of how much they think they should sell it on for.

Now if you were buying something for selling on I am sure you would not tell the seller that it was for personal profit!!

I was at a car boot sale where a woman bought something from the table next to her then resold it herself in front of them! I think you would have to have a brass neck to do this.

htwood
13-Nov-06, 23:29
Is it not at the crux of the argument here that bobsgirl freely made a personal sacrifice (i.e. accepted less money) as a personal "gift" to benefit someone less fortunate, and that person repaid the sacrifice by profiting without telling her that was the intention?

I see what you're driving at but I'd feel very badly let down.

Oh yes, I would also feel very badly let down, in fact I would not trust what the other person said about being poor, ever again. I was just dissecting the equation logically. and bobsgirl, I am totally on your side.

Here's another question from the devil's advocate....how long does a personal "gift" stay attached to the giver? Do you give it freely and lose control of it, or do you require continued thanks and feelgoods for your "gift". Who benefits most from such a gift? Also, is it still the personal "gift" if its been transmuted from tangible item to cash?

bobsgirl
13-Nov-06, 23:50
Here's another question from the devil's advocate....how long does a personal "gift" stay attached to the giver? Do you give it freely and lose control of it, or do you require continued thanks and feelgoods for your "gift". Who benefits most from such a gift? Also, is it still the personal "gift" if its been transmuted from tangible item to cash?[/quote]

This is a good question. When my son was born my mum bought his first baby walker.....it was then passed down to my daughter....still in very good condition, now that we have decided that our family is finished we have been giving away items that we no longer need but when asked about the baby walker, I refuse to give or sell this because of where it came from.

If it was anything else then I wouldnt be bothered but the walky chair for some reason just sticks in my mind to keep. Weird eh! :confused

Piglet
14-Nov-06, 00:27
This is a good question. When my son was born my mum bought his first baby walker.....it was then passed down to my daughter....still in very good condition, now that we have decided that our family is finished we have been giving away items that we no longer need but when asked about the baby walker, I refuse to give or sell this because of where it came from.

If it was anything else then I wouldnt be bothered but the walky chair for some reason just sticks in my mind to keep. Weird eh! :confused[/quote]

I did that for a good while but then i realised the sentiment & the memorys i attached to it was in my head not in the item. :roll: