PDA

View Full Version : 87.9p it is.....

mr do dar
11-Nov-06, 20:25
tesco fuel station is open on monday morning at some point . im not too sure of the prices but they will be cheaper then anywhere in caithness . and once the store opens the promtion will still be running where you spend 50.00 in the shop and you get a further 5p off your fuel . :lol:

Doolally
11-Nov-06, 20:28
Great!

It's being able to get your petrol 24hrs of the day that I think is good.

Pennylane
11-Nov-06, 20:33
Great news for Wick Mr do dar...if they are as good as they are where i stay ..then you all will be on to a winner lol...no more going to Inverness for a big shop :D

girnigoe
12-Nov-06, 14:32
I cant wait.

I hear they are going to be 5p cheaper than the most expensive petrol station nearby and then with the extra 5p off it will be great!!!

unicorn
12-Nov-06, 14:35
the 5p off promotion finishes today, I noticed it on my voucher when I filled up in Inverness on Wednesday.

sjr014
12-Nov-06, 16:35
wot will hapen if tesco keep the price of petrol to low and force the other supliers to close then they can garge wot they want????

Humerous Vegetable
12-Nov-06, 16:38
wot will hapen if tesco keep the price of petrol to low and force the other supliers to close then they can garge wot they want????
That's why we need ASDA.

sjr014
12-Nov-06, 16:40
will asda on the other side of the county make a difrence

ice box
12-Nov-06, 17:55
There are only a penny cheaper than the local garages cant see them closing over that .

highbury
12-Nov-06, 19:32
don't get too excited, they only have to be as cheap as the cheapest filling station within a 2 miles, we moved south and Tesco 7 miles away is 4p a litre cheaper than our closest which is a mile away

Cattach
12-Nov-06, 20:40
will asda on the other side of the county make a difrence

ASDA has a national pricing policy with a national price unlike Tesco whose price is a certain amount below the nearest garages. That is why the petrol stations are more afraid of ASDA. It will certainly make difference to Thurso and Dounreay workers from around the county will benefit too as many will be passing the petrol station.

unicorn
12-Nov-06, 20:43
I don't get my fuel up here now unless I really have no choice, I fill up in skiach on the way home. I refuse to endlessly have the eyes ripped out of me if I dont have to just so I am supporting local economy.

Cattach
12-Nov-06, 20:48
I don't get my fuel up here now unless I really have no choice, I fill up in skiach on the way home. I refuse to endlessly have the eyes ripped out of me if I dont have to just so I am supporting local economy.

I used to fill up before I left the county to save me wasting time after business in Inverness. Now I make sure I have enough fuel to get there and I fill up for coming home. I would support the local garages if they played the game but they do not.

Boozeburglar
12-Nov-06, 21:02
I can't see how most people would save money by travelling through to Wick to fill up, even if it was 5p cheaper a litre a 40 mile round trip would negate the saving on a 60l fuel tank, wouldn't it? My car only does 44mpg.

;)

unicorn
12-Nov-06, 21:06
Yes but if you are going through for shopping anyway it helps on the extra fuel costs and with the savings you should make on shopping and fuel it should hopefully pay for the fuel although that said it is false economy as you wont be saving anything but the extra choice will make it worthwhile.

pultneytooner
12-Nov-06, 21:31
As far as I know asda work on a national average and tesco work on a local average.

grumpyhippo
12-Nov-06, 21:34
When Summerfields (now Morrisons) opened at Alness Kens at Kildary matched the supermarket prices within one penny. I suppose the big petrol suppliers match their prices to ensure their volume of sales. Hopefully Tescos prices will force the suppliers to local forecourts to try and match the lower prices.

Alice in Blunderland
12-Nov-06, 21:36
As far as I know asda work on a national average and tesco work on a local average.

I am under the same impression though we wont have much longer to wait to find out :D

pultneytooner
12-Nov-06, 21:36
Apparently tesco will be one pence per litre cheaper than the nearest local dealer.

gollach
12-Nov-06, 23:54
I used to fill up before I left the county to save me wasting time after business in Inverness. Now I make sure I have enough fuel to get there and I fill up for coming home. I would support the local garages if they played the game but they do not.

What annoys me is that Highland Council insist their employees fill up BEFORE heading south to attend Inverness meetings. The council says staff need a VAT receipt from before the journey starts in order to process an expenses claim. This means council employees can't take full advantage of cheaper fuel prices in the Inverness area.

Allsorts
13-Nov-06, 10:50
HI,
I have just got fuel and they are 4p cheaper than anywhere in Wick. There isn't a sign saying they are open they have just put the prices in their sign so wasn't to sure if they were open or not but they are.

sharon
13-Nov-06, 11:09
great news heading to wick on tuesday so will top up in wick then :D

paris
13-Nov-06, 12:09
Here in Boston lincs the petrol in our local tescos is 83p a ltr. What is it up there ?? jan x

thebigman
13-Nov-06, 12:22
What annoys me is that Highland Council insist their employees fill up BEFORE heading south to attend Inverness meetings. The council says staff need a VAT receipt from before the journey starts in order to process an expenses claim. This means council employees can't take full advantage of cheaper fuel prices in the Inverness area.

You only need to submit receipts to cover your mileage claim. Unless you only use you car for work previous receipts will more than cover any work journeys.

thebigman
13-Nov-06, 12:25
Here in Boston lincs the petrol in our local tescos is 83p a ltr. What is it up there ?? jan x

93.9 for desiel, petrol 6p cheaper.

north_skye
13-Nov-06, 12:33
So what is the cost of petrol and diesel at wick tesco's ??? anyone seen it yet ?

Dali
13-Nov-06, 13:26
Petrol was 87.9p

girnigoe
13-Nov-06, 14:19
Tesco petrol...

I was right!! I had heard that it was going to be 5p cheaper than the most expensive local price (which is Richards @ 92.9p).

It is open although it doesnt look like it from the road.

Cant wait now til see if they do the 5p extra off also when you spend £50 or more. I also heard this is going to be on offer all the time up here...

Heres hoping :grin:

angela5
13-Nov-06, 14:23
Wonder if any local petrol stations will take their prices down.

rs 2k
13-Nov-06, 14:43
Anyone know if they are selling LPG?

I take it they would be :D

Dali
13-Nov-06, 15:48
Did anyone notice the opening times ??
I forgot to look when i was in there .

angela5
13-Nov-06, 15:52
Did anyone notice the opening times ??
I forgot to look when i was in there .

I thought it was going to be open 24 hrs.

Alice in Blunderland
13-Nov-06, 17:48
I believe that you can pay at the kiosk until midnight then use your card at the pump after that so you could say it is open 24hrs although not manned.(Dont quote me on that, again via the wick rumour mill) :lol:

lexie
13-Nov-06, 17:59
the 5p off promotion finishes today, I noticed it on my voucher when I filled up in Inverness on Wednesday.

I was in Inverness yesterday ...and went to Tesco..when I asked about the voucher for 5p extra off petrol..I was told it was valid for two weeks...and the new shop in Wick should Honor the voucher:)

Cattach
13-Nov-06, 18:09
Anyone know if they are selling LPG?

I take it they would be :D

Last I heard they did not even sell Super unleaded but only the Regular.

COACHMAN
13-Nov-06, 20:04
You Can Still Get Shell Fuel For 85.89 Ppl For Unleaed And Derv For 91.73 Ppl In Wick And Thurso With A Fuel Card So Tesco May Not Be The Lowest Price.
With Shell Or Scottish Fuel You Are Also Getting Good Grade Fuel That Will Not Burn You Valves Out In The Engine.
It Is Easy To Get A Fuel Card If You Have A Good Credit Record And Spend Over £100.00 Per Month On Fuel.

bosco
13-Nov-06, 20:20
if you check it out tesco fuel and all the rest come from grangemouth, which at the end of the day is the same grade of fuel

Billy Boy
13-Nov-06, 20:28
You Can Still Get Shell Fuel For 85.89 Ppl For Unleaed And Derv For 91.73 Ppl In Wick And Thurso With A Fuel Card So Tesco May Not Be The Lowest Price.
With Shell Or Scottish Fuel You Are Also Getting Good Grade Fuel That Will Not Burn You Valves Out In The Engine.
It Is Easy To Get A Fuel Card If You Have A Good Credit Record And Spend Over £100.00 Per Month On Fuel.

if that's the case on burnt valves going by the queue in inverness on saterday and every other time we have been in inverness,half the car's there will have burnt valves,the garages will be doing a roaring trade trying to fix them:Razz

COACHMAN
13-Nov-06, 20:29
Tesco Fuel Comes From Inverness As Does All The Other Fuel In The North.
At Inverness Certain Companies Shell Esso Bp Add Additives To The Raw Fuel That Are Better For Your Car .tesco Add Nothing So It Is Raw Petrol And Derv You Get.

tip top
13-Nov-06, 20:38
Why has coachman not told us about the wonderful agency cards before????

bosco
13-Nov-06, 21:09
so are you saying inverness has a refinery,what i am saying is all fuel in scotland comes from the same refinery and that is at grangemouth, and i got the information from a tanker driver that works out of grangemouth.:cool: the fuel is stored in inverness ready for distrubution.

mr do dar
13-Nov-06, 21:46
i see elm tree ways the first to drop their prices today . ..... i thought petrol stations didnt earn much on fuel ? cos of all the tax and stuff . i think they was stringing us along cos they know we have to pay their prices cos we cant get anywhere without it . but now things are on the up with tesco and asda coming

all i say is well done tesco start as you mean to go on

tip top
13-Nov-06, 21:48
He He - Are our local garages now operating a "card-tell" system - [lol]

JAWS
13-Nov-06, 23:00
Before I moved to Caithness I mainly used petrol from Supermarkets and had no engine problems whatsoever. I would have thought that if Supermarket Petrol caused engine problems I would have found that out with a 1600cc engine which had done just under 200,000 miles.

Petrol standards are well regulated and if sub-standard petrol which regularly caused engine problems were being sold by a Nationwide source it would not remain un-noticed for very long. The competition would be only too eager to make the fact widely known because it would be in their own interest to make sure it was.

WeeBurd
14-Nov-06, 01:46
If You Have A Good Credit Record And Spend Over £100.00 Per Month On Fuel.

Most of us up here have no choice but to spend over £100 per month due to the costs at the local pumps [lol] .

Anyway, these fuel cards, would you describe them as a kind of "loyalty" card [smirk] ? I don't think you'll find many people willing to show loyalty to any of the pumps up here, as they're not very loyal to their customers (see Mr DoDars last post)...

Rheghead
14-Nov-06, 02:32
When I came to Caithness 4 years ago, diesel was 85.9p and it was 74.4p in Inverness. The gap has been closing alright, all because of Tesco I think.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Nov-06, 11:15
I can't see how most people would save money by travelling through to Wick to fill up, even if it was 5p cheaper a litre a 40 mile round trip would negate the saving on a 60l fuel tank, wouldn't it? My car only does 44mpg.

;)

Once the supermarket opens I can envisage us going through to wick every week until thurso gets asdas. We will be doing our weekly shop and filling the car up every time. At the moment we can go to inverness do a huge shop at tescos fill up with fuel and still have saved money compared to shopping locally. So if going to inverness is cheaper even when you take fuel costs inro account of course we are going to jump at the chance to save cash closer to home.

craigyboy
14-Nov-06, 11:32
What Tym Is The Petrol Station Open To Isit 24 Hour

katarina
14-Nov-06, 12:14
I cant wait.

I hear they are going to be 5p cheaper than the most expensive petrol station nearby and then with the extra 5p off it will be great!!!

Lochshell filling station is 1p cheaper than Tescos!

Cattach
14-Nov-06, 12:55

If that is the case then the local petrol stations have been taking us to the cleaners for years and do not deserve our business. I will go to Tesco even if Lochshell is cheaper by a 1p becuase of the way we have been treated.

henry20
14-Nov-06, 13:00
So true Cattach, no garage in their right mind would sell petrol at a loss.

angela5
14-Nov-06, 14:29
If that is the case then the local petrol stations have been taking us to the cleaners for years and do not deserve our business. I will go to Tesco even if Lochshell is cheaper by a 1p becuase of the way we have been treated.

Exactly. I notice Dunnets Garage is now 89.9p, how could they of not been cheaper before now.:confused

girnigoe
14-Nov-06, 14:40

Well it maybe cheaper but what about when the shop opens and they have 5p off every litre when you spend £50 or more!! Are they going to compete with that?? I dont think so....

You also get clubcard points on your petrol.

DrSzin
14-Nov-06, 14:43
What was the price of petrol in Wick before Tesco opened?

For comparison, I was at two Edinburgh petrol stations at the weekend, and the prices for a litre of unleaded were:

Shell, Comiston Road - 83.9p (Saturday)
Sainsbury's, Cameron Toll - 84.9p (Sunday)

The big supermarket chains aren't always the cheapest.

angela5
14-Nov-06, 14:46
What was the price of petrol in Wick before Tesco opened?

For comparison, I was at two Edinburgh petrol stations at the weekend, and the prices for a litre of unleaded were:

Shell, Comiston Road - 83.9p (Saturday)
Sainsbury's, Cameron Toll - 84.9p (Sunday)

The big supermarket chains aren't always the cheapest.

Dunnets Garage was 92.9p on sunday, previous weeks they have been as much as 98.9p

girnigoe
14-Nov-06, 14:48
Dunnets 92.6p
Elm Tree 92.6p
Loch Shell 92.9p
Richards 92.9p

As has been said already if they can now drop as low as Tesco why couldnt they have done so already :eyes

SNOWDOG
14-Nov-06, 15:17
Elm tree was down to 90.4p at 8 o'clock last night!

Rheghead
14-Nov-06, 15:19
So what is the snapshot of the prices of fuel in garages in Wick as of today?:confused

captain chaos
14-Nov-06, 22:26
What appears to happen be that for example if Dunnets have to lower there price under that at which they are buying it at, there supplier will refund the difference. (Which is now happening)

Obviously it has to take a major player to reduce the price first before the suppliers will refund the garages.

Tubthumper
14-Nov-06, 22:31
So, the Monopolies & Megers Commission (or was it the Office of Fair Trading) report of a few years ago, that found no evidence of unfair pricing strategies, was wrong? I wonder if anyone, suppliers, local outlets or government will clarify. And where did the profits go to?

martin macdonald
14-Nov-06, 22:43
dunnetts garage was 87.5 today:eek:

mr do dar
14-Nov-06, 22:54
Its just shows that the petrol stations in caithness was taking use for a ride and laughing all the way to the bank with their massive profits . it they stopped lifting us years ago we would of stopped with them after tesco opened but they deserve all they get from now on .
p.s hope asda do the same to thurso once they open their doors .

The Angel Of Death
14-Nov-06, 23:21
Think now that its open just out of princible i am going to fill up at tesco's not really bothered if the local petrol pumps are cheaper anymore they have all had it to good

So much for the "we cant lower any more cause we wont make any money" line !!!

scorrie
14-Nov-06, 23:30
Its just shows that the petrol stations in caithness was taking use for a ride and laughing all the way to the bank with their massive profits . it they stopped lifting us years ago we would of stopped with them after tesco opened but they deserve all they get from now on .
p.s hope asda do the same to thurso once they open their doors .

There is a wee flaw in yer theory mate!!

If a 5p drop in the price is enough to put the local stations into the area where they are selling at lower than the price they are buying it in for (and need to have the difference refunded) then it sort of proves that the eyes are not exactly being taken out of the local motorists the way it seems to be endlessly claimed here.

Of course all the local petrol barons are probably phoning in their new prices from their villas on Copacabana beach ;o)

connieb19
14-Nov-06, 23:31
Think now that its open just out of princible i am going to fill up at tesco's not really bothered if the local petrol pumps are cheaper anymore they have all had it to good

So much for the "we cant lower any more cause we wont make any money" line !!!
Surely it will be better for us if we keep them all competing against each other. :confused

Fran
14-Nov-06, 23:32
In Aberdeen the other day, and in Inverness today I was very surprised to see that Morrisons supermarket was CHEAPER than Tesco by 5p. I see elm Tree garage in wick have reduced their petrol price quite a bit and the new Tesco in wick is not as cheap as everyone thought it would be. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_209.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

golach
14-Nov-06, 23:36
Tesco is not daft, they are up there to do business, to make a profit, they are not a charity.......just you wait, once your old local garages go out of business, then watch how much Tesco will charge you. Dont say you were not warned

The_man_from_del_monte
15-Nov-06, 00:16
The supermarket petrol is watered down I think. A while ago I performed a test and got approximately 55mpg from shell unleaded and 43mpg from Safeway unleaded. A few people I know also reckon that supermarket fuel is not the bargain it seems, definitely seems to run out faster for some unknown reason.

Whitewater
15-Nov-06, 00:35
Most of the supermarkets don't put in the additives which a normal Shell, Esso or BP petrol station will have in their fuel.

The_man_from_del_monte
15-Nov-06, 00:38
Tesco is not daft, they are up there to do business, to make a profit, they are not a charity.......just you wait, once your old local garages go out of business, then watch how much Tesco will charge you. Dont say you were not warned

Word! This is a global monster with as much compassion as a house brick chucked through your window by a drunk lunatic. Their factory farmed meat and heavily processed food is not only unhealthy, it's also cruel. Do you realise their chickens never see the light of day, neither do their pigs... it's all mass produced factory farmed junk and one of the reasons I think people in big cities are the way they are, eating this type of thing turns you into a stressed out nutter... you are what you eat and so the stressed animal who spends its life stuck in a cage with thousands of other stressed animals enters your system and, whammo! you turn into a mad, road rage type character.

Tesco, ASDA and all the big sheds are in it for profit and, as the man says, as soon as your locals go out of business they've got the ball at their foot. I've got no time for these capitalist, profiteering companies who suck the soul out of every town they are allowed into. Same goes with these housing developers, they're money grabbing leaches and the "dream" that they advertise soon turns in to a nightmare with hundreds of them packed in like sardines with no soul and no substance to them...... clinical cardboard boxes full of stressed up people in debt taking out a Tesco loan to fund their pastuerised "lifestyle".

Once these guys get a foothold bang goes the identity of a town like Thurso, they're money grabbers on a grand scale and the more on offer the more you'll be drawn in to the "must have" culture instead of the "I need" culture... at the end of the day these sheds, en masse, totally ruin a way of life and you soon become prey to the marketing man who tells you what you should be buying.

I hate them.

The_man_from_del_monte
15-Nov-06, 00:44
Most of the supermarkets don't put in the additives which a normal Shell, Esso or BP petrol station will have in their fuel.

Probably would explain a lot, I've a friend who works at Grangemouth who always says "supermarket gas sucks" (yeh, he's American, calls it "gas") I must ask him next time we talk exactly why it "sucks" ;)

JAWS
15-Nov-06, 00:51
In the past I have used fuel from many different sources and have never noticed any difference in consumption.
Has there been a collapse in the price of crude oil? I noticed that fuel prices in Wick have dropped dramatically. Unless the two thousand pounds per tanker delivery costs from Inverness have disappeared overnight!

I will quite happily go to where fuel is cheapest. Places which charge higher prices obviously believe their product is far more valuable and, that being so, I hate the idea of depriving them of it. It's almost as bad as stealing a child's sweets, I just couldn't bring myself to be so mean!

The_man_from_del_monte
15-Nov-06, 01:07
Has there been a collapse in the price of crude oil?

More of a price restructuring if you think about it, everyone thinking about going to Tesco for cheap petrol, if your local stations remained at £1 + then everyone "would" head to tesco and that would be them out of business so they're dropping their prices to keep customers. Just watch all your local petrol pumps disappear, I've seen it happen all over the UK, "Tesco" will be the only place you can fill your car up at this time next year unless the local stations expand and start offering convenience snacks and 24/7 opening hours to get the punters in.... trust me, these big stores just ruin a place and unfortunately the vast majority of people are drawn in like lambs to the slaughter with loyalty cards (erm, everytime you buy something it goes onto a database so the marketing man can track your buying habits) seemingly cheap prices and a wide selection of the same old dressed up in different colours and packages...... shopping where you're a statistic and not a customer and wrapped up in con job marketing speak presented as "progress"

Yeh, right. I moved here to try to escape from all that crap, seems there's no escape from "progress" these leaches will pile in wherever there's a chance of making a quick buck if they're allowed in.... seems they have been allowed in.

bosco
15-Nov-06, 09:38
i would say the same about your local garages when i was up on holiday in the summer, they just charge what they like for their fuel and ripped off the tourist and locals for fuel cause they know you need it and charge what they want, i welcome the major super markets up their cause the locals have been getting ripped off far to long , you will probally see more tourist in the summer cause cheap petrol and food, and not getting ripped off :Razz

Dali
15-Nov-06, 09:49
Word! This is a global monster with as much compassion as a house brick chucked through your window by a drunk lunatic. Their factory farmed meat and heavily processed food is not only unhealthy, it's also cruel. Do you realise their chickens never see the light of day, neither do their pigs... it's all mass produced factory farmed junk and one of the reasons I think people in big cities are the way they are, eating this type of thing turns you into a stressed out nutter... you are what you eat and so the stressed animal who spends its life stuck in a cage with thousands of other stressed animals enters your system and, whammo! you turn into a mad, road rage type character.

Tesco, ASDA and all the big sheds are in it for profit and, as the man says, as soon as your locals go out of business they've got the ball at their foot. I've got no time for these capitalist, profiteering companies who suck the soul out of every town they are allowed into. Same goes with these housing developers, they're money grabbing leaches and the "dream" that they advertise soon turns in to a nightmare with hundreds of them packed in like sardines with no soul and no substance to them...... clinical cardboard boxes full of stressed up people in debt taking out a Tesco loan to fund their pastuerised "lifestyle".

Once these guys get a foothold bang goes the identity of a town like Thurso, they're money grabbers on a grand scale and the more on offer the more you'll be drawn in to the "must have" culture instead of the "I need" culture... at the end of the day these sheds, en masse, totally ruin a way of life and you soon become prey to the marketing man who tells you what you should be buying.

I hate them.

So out of the 3 Tescos in inverness what have they shut down .What do you have to support all you say about these many many towns you know that have been destroyed by the mighty Supermarkets??

robby50x
15-Nov-06, 10:50
it was 83 pence today in inverness with both tescos and morrisons charging the same so it is not that cheap up here big difference

Dali
15-Nov-06, 11:08
it was 83 pence today in inverness with both tescos and morrisons charging the same so it is not that cheap up here big difference

The 4p difference is a far cry from the what used to be 10p - 12p difference.

Cattach
15-Nov-06, 14:09
Unleaded 93.9p. With the Dunnetts garage in Wick charging less, I am told, just goes to show that competition sharpens trhe mind of the business community and benfits the whole community. Also shows they have been at it for a long time!

Rheghead
15-Nov-06, 14:46
I've just drove past dunnets and unleaded is 92.9p

angela5
15-Nov-06, 14:53
Dunnets in wick is still 89.9p. Take it Dunnets in Thurso is waiting for Asda before they drop their prices. Looks like the folk in Thurso are going to be ripped off a little longer.:roll:

Cattach
15-Nov-06, 15:03
I've just drove past dunnets and unleaded is 92.9p

Obviously changed since I bought. However, argument still stands - substantial difference between two garages owned by the same company and still empahasises the point that without competition the Thurso caretel will not be broken.

Mizpah
15-Nov-06, 15:40
Dunnett's Wick is 87.9 today the same as Tesco, just shows the years they have all ripped us off.:roll:

jaykay
15-Nov-06, 15:52
Dunnett's Wick is 87.9 today the same as Tesco, just shows the years they have all ripped us off.:roll:
Wonder what excuse the THURSO filling stations will use now for overcharging us! For years they have been telling us that they have to pay more for their fuel and have very little profit on a litre. That has obviously been untrue.

Saxo01
15-Nov-06, 16:08
Just to show a comparison ive just filled up in Kirkwall 96.9 unleaded quite a difference :(

Cattach
15-Nov-06, 16:22
The supermarket petrol is watered down I think. A while ago I performed a test and got approximately 55mpg from shell unleaded and 43mpg from Safeway unleaded. A few people I know also reckon that supermarket fuel is not the bargain it seems, definitely seems to run out faster for some unknown reason.

From someone who knows the industry - thats bollocks

Cattach
15-Nov-06, 16:29

We always knew they were ripping us off but now should Tesco not be dropping their price if the suggestion that they always stay a certain number of pence below the lowest local price is true. Their bench mark would be Dunnetts and they shoul;d now have a price 3 pence below that!

scorrie
15-Nov-06, 16:55
Come on Mods, how many threads do we need on petrol prices?

Prices are falling and still the punters moan.

angela5
15-Nov-06, 17:02
Come on Mods, how many threads do we need on petrol prices?

Prices are falling and still the punters moan.

We have every right to moan after all we have been ripped off for years.
Come on mod's bung them into one.

changilass
15-Nov-06, 17:13
Threads merged as requested:D

scorrie
15-Nov-06, 17:25
We have every right to moan after all we have been ripped off for years.
Come on mod's bung them into one.

One thread is plenty though!!

Anyway it is not a good thing to keep a grudge going for years. Much better for the soul to move on and look to the future and the Motorist's Utopia of non-profit making petrol stations.

angela5
15-Nov-06, 17:29
Anyway it is not a good thing to keep a grudge going for years.

No i'd never dream of keeping a grudge for years, a couple of days is fine.:D

scorrie
15-Nov-06, 17:37
No i'd never dream of keeping a grudge for years, a couple of days is fine.:D

Ripped off for years was the phrase you used.

henry20
15-Nov-06, 17:38

Being ripped off for years doesn't mean you've had a grudge for years! :confused

angela5
15-Nov-06, 17:42

Yes ripped off for years is what i said, i did'nt say i had a grudge.:roll:

angela5
15-Nov-06, 17:44
Being ripped off for years doesn't mean you've had a grudge for years! :confused

Exactly henry20, i only feel ripped off as many others do with the dramatic fall in petrol prices with our local garages. I never said i had a grudge or held one for years at the prices they charged us.

scrapydoo
15-Nov-06, 18:00
One thread is plenty though!!

Anyway it is not a good thing to keep a grudge going for years. Much better for the soul to move on and look to the future and the Motorist's Utopia of non-profit making petrol stations.

I can't see where Angela said she has held a grudge at the local garages charging those high petrol prices, only that she and as i can see many others felt ripped off, me included.
There is a difference scorrie between ripped off and a grudge:roll:

scorrie
15-Nov-06, 19:13
I can't see where Angela said she has held a grudge at the local garages charging those high petrol prices, only that she and as i can see many others felt ripped off, me included.
There is a difference scorrie between ripped off and a grudge:roll:

If someone is moaning about years of being ripped off, then why is that not a grudge?

If the price was too high to the extent that it has been remembered for years, and moaned about years later, it is pretty safe to say that the money was not willingly paid at any time over those years. ie the money was paid, but grudgingly.

Feel free to gather en masse to point out that I am incorrect ;o)

krieve
15-Nov-06, 19:17
I don't think anyone is holding a grudge just a little fed up that the garages can drop their prices so much now that they have competition.:eek:

WeeBurd
15-Nov-06, 22:14
If someone is moaning about years of being ripped off, then why is that not a grudge?

If the price was too high to the extent that it has been remembered for years, and moaned about years later, it is pretty safe to say that the money was not willingly paid at any time over those years. ie the money was paid, but grudgingly.

Feel free to gather en masse to point out that I am incorrect ;o)

Not incorrect, Scorrie, just hankering for a scrap [lol] !

rainbow
15-Nov-06, 22:37
As I drove past Elm Tree at 5.45pm tonight it was in darkness - no lights on and the blinds were shut. Surely they are not out of business already, or is there a simple explanation?

Cattach
15-Nov-06, 23:34
I don't think anyone is holding a grudge just a little fed up that the garages can drop their prices so much now that they have competition.:eek:

I think lots of people do hold a grudge and maybe they have a right to. However best not to get blood pressure up over it.

connieb19
15-Nov-06, 23:38
Was Elm Tree closed earlier than usual tonight?

JAWS
16-Nov-06, 06:21
Call it a grudge or call it what you want, I simply take my trade to those businesses who make the effort to attract my custom.

If a business is of the opinion that it's products are of far more value than other businesses I simply haven't got the heart to deprive them of such precious things.

I would consider that doing so would put m on the same level as those who trick little old ladies out of their life savings.

I wonder if that means I hold a grudge against little old ladies? :Razz

angela5
16-Nov-06, 10:20
As I drove past Elm Tree at 5.45pm tonight it was in darkness - no lights on and the blinds were shut. Surely they are not out of business already, or is there a simple explanation?

They were open this morning, so they are not out of business.

WeeBurd
17-Nov-06, 00:25
That's me, sent MrBurd off to work in Wick tonight with instructions to start filling the car up through there now. No more £35 a week for the Thurso pumps until they take their prices down...:Razz

Kingetter
17-Nov-06, 02:39
If the competition from Tesco or Asda gets too hot and sales drop alarmingly in "Shell" or other branded Filling Stations, the oil companies will look to find other ways to try and keep their customers or tempt customers back.
Remember all the "free" goodies there used to be? Go back to Green Shield Stamp days for instance eh?

Grangemouth was the 'fuel centre' for Scotland a few years ago when truck drivers were protesting and blocking roads (like the A9 in Perth), effectively holding the country to ransom.

Each year, there are more vehicles on the road, and, customers will just have to keep on paying 'the going rate' whatever it might be. How can it be any different? Well, get the Government to reduce the high level of taxation on fuels? Only at the cost of something else - and so it goes on and on and on etc.

JAWS
17-Nov-06, 03:29
The Petrol Companies will do what they have done elsewhere and make their prices more competitive.

Supermarket fuel has been around for at least 30 years and even then the same dire predictions were made. They have never happened and they never will, at least. not for the reasons being suggested.

Cornwall is just as remote for fuel supplies as Caithness but their fuel prices are nowhere near those here, they are no more expensive than anywhere else.
The excuses for the past prices of fuel here have been shown to be exactly that, nothing more than excuses.

I did not believe them before, I do not believe them now and I am not going to even bother worrying about the scare mongering currently being attempted.

scorrie
17-Nov-06, 14:20
The Petrol Companies will do what they have done elsewhere and make their prices more competitive.

Supermarket fuel has been around for at least 30 years and even then the same dire predictions were made. They have never happened and they never will, at least. not for the reasons being suggested.

Cornwall is just as remote for fuel supplies as Caithness but their fuel prices are nowhere near those here, they are no more expensive than anywhere else.
The excuses for the past prices of fuel here have been shown to be exactly that, nothing more than excuses.

I did not believe them before, I do not believe them now and I am not going to even bother worrying about the scare mongering currently being attempted.

A read through this might make you think differently. Have a read of the intro, pages 49, 54 and 66 through to 71

http://www.tescopoly.org/images//high%20street%20britain%202015.pdf

Dali
17-Nov-06, 15:27
A read through this might make you think differently. Have a read of the intro, pages 49, 54 and 66 through to 71

http://www.tescopoly.org/images//high%20street%20britain%202015.pdf

There is always somebody with a website with this company is a demon and that company is the devil .From the highland council transfer to bill gates .

Now do tesco sell quality cheap products ?
Yes
Has decent opening hours ?
Yes
Well thats all i need to know .
They may monopolise the UK but as long as the prices are low it helps spread the money i do have to feed and cloth my family. And my family as i would of thought your own and everyone elses is all that counts at the end of the day .

scorrie
17-Nov-06, 20:49
There is always somebody with a website with this company is a demon and that company is the devil .From the highland council transfer to bill gates .

Now do tesco sell quality cheap products ?
Yes
Has decent opening hours ?
Yes
Well thats all i need to know .
They may monopolise the UK but as long as the prices are low it helps spread the money i do have to feed and cloth my family. And my family as i would of thought your own and everyone elses is all that counts at the end of the day .

Did you bother to read the article?

It would seem not. If you had, you would realise that this is NOT a website. It is an article placed on the web and there is a big difference.

This article was created by a cross-party group of MPs. These people were specifically trying to look beyond the shallow, Tesco is cheap, I'm all right for now Jack, the planet mentality.

Go back, read the parts I pointed to with an open mind and try to look beyond your own front gate!!

Very poor and short-sighted post. None as blind as those that do not wish to see!!

Dali
18-Nov-06, 01:41

It would seem not. If you had, you would realise that this is NOT a website. It is an article placed on the web and there is a big difference.

This article was created by a cross-party group of MPs. These people were specifically trying to look beyond the shallow, Tesco is cheap, I'm all right for now Jack, the planet mentality.

Go back, read the parts I pointed to with an open mind and try to look beyond your own front gate!!

Very poor and short-sighted post. None as blind as those that do not wish to see!!

An article just placed on the web i think not

If you bothered to check yourself it is part of a Tesco hating website very sad when people who post do not bother to check themselves .
And then having to put pathetic remarks at the end to make themselves feel good .

Go check it out you will see for yourself its a web site http://www.tescopoly.org

scorrie
18-Nov-06, 13:08
An article just placed on the web i think not

If you bothered to check yourself it is part of a Tesco hating website very sad when people who post do not bother to check themselves .
And then having to put pathetic remarks at the end to make themselves feel good .

Go check it out you will see for yourself its a web site http://www.tescopoly.org

What part of this do you not understand?

This article was created by a cross-part group of MPs. Tescopoly have a link to it on their website. It was not created by, or for, Tescopoly. I am well capable of reading the word Tescopoly in a URL and I went to the article via the link on the site. The link I posted starts with tescopoly.org and it is self evident that I did not need to check my source, nor point same out to anyone capable of reading. It is also irrelevant where the article was linked to, it is the article itself that is of interest. If only people would read it with an open mind and consider the points being made.

I note that Jaws has not commented on whether there was anything to make them reconsider their "gut" feeling.

This is poor stuff Dali, either read the article and make comments based on what you have read or stop posting here about bogey men out to get poor little defenceless Tesco.

Dali
18-Nov-06, 13:23
The only bogeyman out to get tesco is yourself. You seem to be the only person out to get them people are tired of listening to you moan on and on about tesco taking over caithness and beyond .
Even in the Tesco petrol station thread people are tired of your anti Tesco remarks the 2 threads are about telling people the cheap prices of there goods and convenience .
Go and make a hate mongering thread of your own and then you can moan all you like . Without having to spoil other peoples threads.
I am sure you will be in tesco when it opens .

scorrie
18-Nov-06, 16:54
The only bogeyman out to get tesco is yourself. You seem to be the only person out to get them people are tired of listening to you moan on and on about tesco taking over caithness and beyond .
Even in the Tesco petrol station thread people are tired of your anti Tesco remarks the 2 threads are about telling people the cheap prices of there goods and convenience .
Go and make a hate mongering thread of your own and then you can moan all you like . Without having to spoil other peoples threads.
I am sure you will be in tesco when it opens .

Have you read the article yet?

mr do dar
18-Nov-06, 18:57
Like i said before on my other thread . all the people in caithness that are complaining about tesco will be the first there on open day saying how good and cheap the shop is then go home and put on the net how they hated it and all the normal stuff .
But once the cars need fuel and the cuboards are bare they will be back there yet again . getting the clubcard point and cheap food .

scorrie
18-Nov-06, 22:05
Like i said before on my other thread . all the people in caithness that are complaining about tesco will be the first there on open day saying how good and cheap the shop is then go home and put on the net how they hated it and all the normal stuff .
But once the cars need fuel and the cuboards are bare they will be back there yet again . getting the clubcard point and cheap food .

Will ANYONE read the article and comment on it?

Rheghead
18-Nov-06, 22:17
Tescopoly appears to me to be a website borne out of hate rather than out of any concern for the environment. If Tesco are part of a wider problem then they should be part of the solution, demonising them will just polarise views of potential/existing customers one way or the other and I fear that we have seen other such hate written about other companies like macdonalds and microsoft. The top and bottom of it is this, if you really want a company to announce big profits and to be sustainable to small farming practices then blinking well start one up and get winning over customers.[evil]

Colin Manson
18-Nov-06, 22:24
I've had a look at it, as usual they predict doom and gloom for the small stores and personally I don't ever see that happening.

It's written by a bunch of MPs and therefore is probably all full of lies and rumour anyway :)

I'd be much more likely to believe it if it was produced by someone that has a clue and not a bunch of people that sit around and argue all day.

scorrie
18-Nov-06, 23:55
I've had a look at it, as usual they predict doom and gloom for the small stores and personally I don't ever see that happening.

It's written by a bunch of MPs and therefore is probably all full of lies and rumour anyway :)

I'd be much more likely to believe it if it was produced by someone that has a clue and not a bunch of people that sit around and argue all day.

So it's all lies and all MPs sit arguing all day. Well at least you read it, that is an improvement on some of the replies.

It would be nice to think that someone could actually read the article with an open mind, not be prejudiced by thinking that it is somehow joined at the hip to Tescopoly and not be dismissive because it is MPs who have produced the article. They surely have some degree of intelligence and an insight into the legislative process, if nothing else.

I would love to see a similar level of reasoning put into the arguement that small shops will survive beyond the time scale projected, rather than the abrupt "I don't see it" reply.

DrSzin
19-Nov-06, 01:08
I've just read the report in its entirety. Ok, I scan-read most of it but I'm pretty used to doing that so I know the sort of thing I'm looking for.

My comments:
On the whole, I thought it was pretty poor. It appears to have been authored by a bunch of self-appointed "experts", and it reads like a first- or second-year-college-students' group-project report, albeit a rather polished one.
It's far too long - a punchier thirty-page report would have been far more effective.
The middle section is dreadful - it's unstructured and most of the "evidence" comes over as hearsay. I read the pages that scorrie drew attention to yesterday and I thought they weren't too bad, but the rest of it is pretty awful.
There is no substantive quantitative analysis.I find this rather sad. There is little doubt in my mind that local retail businesses in the UK have been having a hard time recently because of the dominance of the big-boys, especially in out-of-town retail parks. But I can't see this report changing any of that. I found it backward-looking and insular. It's nowhere near as bad as anything from HAST but that's not saying much.

The report's most amusing prediction was that Sainsbury's would move into the non-food retail market soon. They haven't done their homework. My local Sainsbury's has given over perhaps 20% of its floor space to non-food retailing for donkeys' years. The other one I shop at has done a similar thing since it opened five(ish) years ago.

I don't see many good reasons to believe the report's conclusions. It's conceivable that these guys are right but I find their arguments unconvincing.

scorrie
19-Nov-06, 01:33
I've just read the report in its entirety. Ok, I scan-read most of it but I'm pretty used to doing that so I know the sort of thing I'm looking for.

My comments:
On the whole, I thought it was pretty poor. It appears to have been authored by a bunch of self-appointed "experts", and it reads like a first- or second-year-college-students' group-project report, albeit a rather polished one.
It's far too long - a punchier thirty-page report would have been much more effective.
The middle section is dreadful - it's unstructured and most of the "evidence" comes over as hearsay. I read the pages that scorrie drew attention to yesterday and I thought they weren't too bad, but the rest of it is pretty awful.
There is no substantive quantitative analysis.I find this rather sad. There is little doubt in my mind that local retail businesses in the UK have been having a hard time recently because of the dominance of the big-boys, especially in out-of-town retail parks. But I can't see this report changing any of that. I found it backward-looking and insular. It's nowhere near as bad as anything from HAST but that's not saying much.

The report's most amusing prediction was that Sainsbury's would move into the non-food retail market soon. They haven't done their homework. My local Sainsbury's has given over perhaps 20% of its floor space to non-food retailing for donkeys' years. The other one I shop at has done a similar thing since it opened five(ish) years ago.

I don't see many good reasons to believe the report's conclusions. It's conceivable that these guys are right but I find their arguments unconvincing.

The report was certainly overly long, hence the reason I suspect not many have actually tackled it. I tried to point to the sections I felt had some relevancy and which amounted to something worth thinking about with regards to Petrol forecourts in particular.

I think it would be difficult for any group to predict with precision what will happen nine years hence but I do believe that the points they made on independent Petrol Stations could well be proved correct. My brother has worked for a good few years in two seperate local, independent fuel stations and dealt with the suppliers to each station. He has been out of that business for a couple of years and has told me that the profit margin per litre was slightly under 3p at the time he was working for the local vampires.

You do not need to be a mathematician or, indeed, an MP to work out the effects of a 5p price cut to the equation!!

Thanks for your input, I just love it when someone reads something before dismissing it. That is all I was asking for, not some conspiracy theory about me tilting at the mighty windmill that is Tesco.

cullbucket
19-Nov-06, 02:37

Not me - Life's too short....

JAWS
19-Nov-06, 05:05
Whenever somebody directs me to any information with the intent of guiding me towards accepting a particular view of something I have a rather unfortunate habit.
I have usually found that the more “Independent” the originators of that information purport to be the more suspicious I tend to be.

Those wishing to take note of the report indicated by scorrie at http://www.tescopoly.org/images//hig...ain%202015.pdf might be interested in the background of those involved in it's production.

Tescopoly
This website is supported by organisations concerned about the market-distorting power of the major supermarkets, the information is intended for educational and public awareness purposes.
http://www.tescopoly.org/
This site links to:-
AsdaWatch
“Welcome to AsdaWatch - the website which shines a spotlight on the practises of Asda Wal-Mart. We aim to give shoppers the information they need to make an ethical choice. But we also agree with the majority of shoppers who think the government should bring in new rules to make supermarkets operate fairly.
AsdaWatch is run by War on Want. To read more about another campaign highlighting the impact of Tesco, which War on Want also supports.”
http://www.asdawatch.org/index.asp

Both Anti-Supermarket sites, strangely enough seem to be organised by the same people.

Having found something of their backgrounds I decided to check further into the Parliament, Small Shops Group, their official standing and how such groups come into being.
For those who don't wish to wade through all the details there is a summary at the end of the post.

The Nature of All-Party Groups“All-party groups are regarded as relatively informal compared with other cross-party bodies such as select committees of the House. The membership of all-party groups mainly comprises backbench Members of the House of Commons and Lords but may also include ministers and non-parliamentarians. Groups flourish and wane according to the interests and enthusiasm of Members.”
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmparty/051221/memi02.htm#a1

It is interesting to note that, unlike Cross Party Bodies which are set up Officially and who’s membership are made up MP’s chosen to fairly represent the views of the various Parties, All Party Groups are simply a number of MPs from various Parties who get together to act as a Pressure Group on a particular subject.
Any report the produce will simply be exactly the same as that produced by any Pressure Group, specifically tailored to publicise the aims of that particular group.

Parliament, Small Shops Group
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmparty/051221/memi353.htm

It is also interesting to note who is listed under the “BENEFITS RECEIVED BY GROUP FROM SOURCES OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT”.
Would you believe that the Group receives Benefits from, “Independent Retailers Confederation (via Quintus Public Affairs Ltd) provides secretarial support (correspondence with members and other groups, minutes).”

CONTACT DETAILS FOR CORRESPONDENCE AND GENERAL ENQUIRIES ABOUT THE GROUP
Mr Jim Dowd, House of Commons, London SW1A OAA. Tel: 020 7219 4617
“Before entering Parliament, worked as an electronics engineer for Plessey/GPT and as a petrol station manager”
http://www.epolitix.com/EN/MPWebsites/Jim+Dowd/C54278E9-2582-4A32-B1DD-7D23E1086731.htm
Need I say more? I didn’t check the background of others involved.

Quintus Public Affairs Ltd
“Quintus Public Affairs Ltd is an independent political consultancy. Our success is founded on an understanding of the political decision making process combined with industry specific expertise. Employing our specialist knowledge, our clients are able to anticipate changes and capitalise upon unforeseen opportunities.”
http://www.quintus.uk.com/template.php?languageId=1

Once you have wadded through all the usual pretentious wording and fanciful Publicity Blurb they are what can be politely described as “Facilitators” by way of being Professional Parliamentary Lobbyists.
If you have enough money they are the people who will find the right MPs to be your Mouthpiece in Parliament!

To Summarise:-
The Independent Retailers Confederation in order to serve their own vested interests contacted the Parliamentary Lobbyists Quintus Public Affairs Ltd. They requested them to use their expertise and contacts within Parliament to find a group of MPs who could be persuaded to form a Group which would best serve their purpose and who could be used to promote their own narrow interests.

The All Party Groups should not be mistaken for the carefully selected Cross Party Organisations which are there to ensure that Parliament can be informed of certain information independent of Party bias.

Dr S., this might explain your comments on the Report. I think you will find that it is not that the Report is poorly done but that is carefully produced to be deliberately vague and short on verifiable facts.

The Parliament, Small Shops Group is about as unbiased as Greenpeace would be about issuing a report on the benefits of Whale Hunting.

I wonder if it really is worth my wading through a report produced by and on behalf of such Independent and unbiased people.

mr do dar
19-Nov-06, 10:31
i think they will cos looking at the post i started is seems to be getting good feed back . [evil]

WeeBurd
19-Nov-06, 12:03
Thank you for that Jaws, extremely informative. As Cullbucket said, life is to short for me to be bothered reading some webpage just because someone I don't know insists I should [lol] !

This is poor stuff Dali, either read the article and make comments based on what you have read or stop posting here about bogey men out to get poor little defenceless Tesco.

Have you read the article yet?

(sorry, started my reply already so was too late to multi-quote, my apologies)

Scorrie, you are perfectly entitled to your views, but insisting people read visit your link... people are perfectly entitled to make up their own minds, using whatever sources they wish. :roll:

Dali
19-Nov-06, 17:58
The report was certainly overly long, hence the reason I suspect not many have actually tackled it. I tried to point to the sections I felt had some relevancy and which amounted to something worth thinking about with regards to Petrol forecourts in particular.

I think it would be difficult for any group to predict with precision what will happen nine years hence but I do believe that the points they made on independent Petrol Stations could well be proved correct. My brother has worked for a good few years in two seperate local, independent fuel stations and dealt with the suppliers to each station. He has been out of that business for a couple of years and has told me that the profit margin per litre was slightly under 3p at the time he was working for the local vampires.

You do not need to be a mathematician or, indeed, an MP to work out the effects of a 5p price cut to the equatio

Thanks for your input, I just love it when someone reads something before dismissing it. That is all I was asking for, not some conspiracy theory about me tilting at the mighty windmill that is Tesco.

I did read your link if you read what the others have put and read my 1st post.
Mine is just shorter and to the point i also before i posted looked into the party and even rang the number to see if they were still active .
After they wrote that paper they have not met since 2004 according to the goverment website.
So they are doing alot for there cause .
Would just be nice maybe if you did some research yourself. Before you dismiss peoples posts or start you pathetic slanging to try and make other posters feel as worthless as yourself.

If you were not tillting at the almighty Tesco then you would not of posted your drivel or atleast checked out your link fully 1st.

DrSzin
19-Nov-06, 19:12
Mr Jim Dowd, House of Commons, London SW1A OAA. Tel: 020 7219 4617
“Before entering Parliament, worked as an electronics engineer for Plessey/GPT and as a petrol station manager”
http://www.epolitix.com/EN/MPWebsites/Jim+Dowd/C54278E9-2582-4A32-B1DD-7D23E1086731.htm
Need I say more? I didn’t check the background of others involved.I did. Jim Dowd was Chair, Nigel Evans (http://www.nigelmp.com/record.jsp?type=page&ID=23) was vice-chair:

Nigel now owns a convenience store in Swansea, which his grandfather set up in the 1930s.

I got bored after checking Messrs Dowd and Evans. I also discovered that all-party groups are different from cross-party bodies, hence my comments about a bunch of self-appointed "experts".

You do not need to be a mathematician or, indeed, an MP to work out the effects of a 5p price cut to the equation!!I don't know what will happen to independent local petrol stations in rural areas such as Caithness, but local petrol stations have competed with the supermarkets in cities for decades. Note that I omitted the word "independent" when I mentioned local petrol stations: I have no idea who owns my local Shell station, but it was selling unleaded at 83.9p last Saturday. This is 1p a litre cheaper than Sainsbury's was selling it the following day (84.9p). For comparison's sake, it was 83.9p a litre at Tesco, Corstorphine this afternoon. I must stop looking at prices every time I drive past a petrol station - this is getting embarrassing. :o

Perhaps the suppliers will drop their wholesale prices in order to prevent their entire customer base in the North Highlands from going bankrupt?

I think it's more than just "difficult" for any group to predict what the situation will be in 9 years - it's very, very difficult. :)

Alice in Blunderland
19-Nov-06, 22:16
I still hold on to the thought that some of the local garages will not be as affected by Tescos as others.If and this is a big If they pull their act together they can exist alongside Tescos.

Some of the local garages already offer something that Tesco dont and that is service and repairs.

A lot of people do feel cheated by the monopoly that seems to have been going on for years this may or may not have been the case but it certainly seemed like that.They tended to adjust their prices up or down on the same day within the same timescale and to the same price .....The garages didnt do themselves any favours by doing this and so brought about the air of suspicion themselves.

As one local garage owner once complained they were making very little on their petrol and were selling it more as a service to the locals than as a profit making concern (awww bless his little cotton socks he may get to heaven) then he should be gratefull Tesco are willing to take over this burden and leave him to keep on supplying an excellent service to his customers in other more profit making areas.

Its time some of the local garages start earning their customers rather than sitting back and relying on the fact that they are the only ones around.Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition and with the arrival of Asda (eventually ,hopefully) this will also keep Tesco on their toes.The winners at the end of the day will be the customers. :cool:

madmissus
19-Nov-06, 22:49
Well, as the owld saying goes, All's fair in love and war, and if it means i have more money in my purse at the end of the month, then so be it!! Roll on Asda!!:Razz

Dali
19-Nov-06, 23:42
Well the rumours are doing the rounds again about Matalan ,Next and now B&Q
With Matalan meant to be starting getting built after xmas.
This will give the moaners something new to complain about .
Any one know of any planning permission been given ?
I like Matalan but do not wish to build my hopes up due to the major rumour mill.

Rheghead
20-Nov-06, 02:04
I think rural stations will survive quite well, I will continue to patronise the pumps at Reay because I take a "use it or lose it" approach and apart from that, it is so handy especially if I want to go out west for the day. And he's a good ole' bluff cove an'all!!:lol:

JAWS
20-Nov-06, 09:11
Perhaps the suppliers will drop their wholesale prices in order to prevent their entire customer base in the North Highlands from going bankrupt?

I think it's more than just "difficult" for any group to predict what the situation will be in 9 years - it's very, very difficult. :)Now why did I have a slight suspicion that you would have checked the background of the report? Instinctive reaction on your part? :D

You're right, Suppliers do adjust their wholesale prices according to the local conditions and competition. The Oil Companies want to keep their share of the market just as any business does. Like others, they will set their prices according to what they can get away with without attracting too much attention or adverse publicity. One thing is certain, like other National Concerns, they will want to keep their "High Street Presence". They do so because it is in effect free advertising that they get an instant return on.

Like you, I am also suspicious of nine year predictions. Even in States where the Economy is under rigid State Control ten year plans are usually going off course as soon as they commence.

I wish I had the ability to predict the next 9 months, never mind years. I would have been living in the lap of luxury for many years by now. Wouldn't we all?

scorrie
20-Nov-06, 22:27
I did read your link if you read what the others have put and read my 1st post.
Mine is just shorter and to the point i also before i posted looked into the party and even rang the number to see if they were still active .
After they wrote that paper they have not met since 2004 according to the goverment website.
So they are doing alot for there cause .
Would just be nice maybe if you did some research yourself. Before you dismiss peoples posts or start you pathetic slanging to try and make other posters feel as worthless as yourself.

If you were not tillting at the almighty Tesco then you would not of posted your drivel or atleast checked out your link fully 1st.

I can't follow your logic I'm afraid. I do not see how reading what other people have written give any evidence that you, yourself, read the report. I think you are making a lofty claim that your own response is the same (only shorter and to the point) as other peoples replies. I have read your posts, I simply don't see any evidence that you read the report. I asked on more than one occasion.

OK the group may not have met since the report, that is unfortunate if they wish to achieve something for the smaller retailer. It may well also be that some people within the group have a vested interest. That happens all the time in politics. I was particularly interested in the points made on petrol stations and wanted people to have a read and perhaps see if it gave any food for thought. Weeburd states that people can make their opinions based on all sources and this is certainly true. However, it is pretty hard for me to get an opinion on an article without people reading the article.

Just as aside, I would advise you to look at your use of words such as "pathetic", "worthless" and "drivel" and consider whether you should pause and cool down before posting. I am criticising the post and not the person with my comments. I have never had a complaint from admin or the mods so it seems clear to other people what my intentions are. I always sit here with a big smile on my face and laugh at the times I make an erse of myself. It is not anything to take too serious mate. Keep cool ;o)

Baconbuttie
20-Nov-06, 22:57
If the Thurso filling stations are to gain anyones support when Asda comes along, they have to act now and reduce prices to the level of those in Wick.

We have been told for so long that they are not making money, yet over night those in Wick can reduce their prices by 5p ( is that not we have been lead to believe is their profit margin)

The same people have pumps in Wick and Thurso yet there is now 5p a litre difference

JAWS
21-Nov-06, 14:56
Parliamentary Small Shops Group had no Meetings after 2004.?

Perhaps this article in The Scotsman might explain why they didn’t bother meeting after they wrote that report!
http://business.scotsman.com/retail.cfm?id=205002004

Not that I would suspect for one minute that they were no more than a self interest Pressure Group who were only interested in influencing an Office of Fair Trading Report in order to suit their own ends.

What are the odds that the same Doom and Gloom Merchants were predicting the end of local shops when the first Woolworth Store opened in Liverpool in 1909?
Nearly a Century later and the small businesses are still here.