PDA

View Full Version : Someone let horses out - Thurso!

Max
03-Apr-12, 15:34
Just a warning to all horse owners. My horses were let out of their field last night on to the main road. Thank goodness for the person who alerted the police and good neighbours. If this was a deliberate act it was very irresponsible, not only were the horses in danger but more so those who were driving at night.

Nettie
03-Apr-12, 15:56
There was a similar thread posted by TAFKAL on 27 Feb on Pets Corner *****BEWARE*****Someone letting horses out!!!***

There are some very sick people out there!!

Corrie 3
03-Apr-12, 16:09
Erm...............wouldn't padlocking the gate help?

C3............:eek::eek:

linnie612
03-Apr-12, 16:12
Possibly, but there is no harm in alerting people.

ducati
03-Apr-12, 16:59

In a raural community why should you need to padlock livestock gates? Is this a sign of your brave new Scotland?[disgust]

Corrie 3
03-Apr-12, 17:19
In a raural community why should you need to padlock livestock gates? Is this a sign of your brave new Scotland?[disgust]
Sensible precaution I would have thought Duke, especially with so many Strangers about these days !!!! The way you are carrying on you will have Golach saying it's Eck's fault the horses were let out!!!

C3............[lol][lol]

ducati
03-Apr-12, 17:32
Sensible precaution I would have thought Duke, especially with so many Strangers about these days !!!! The way you are carrying on you will have Golach saying it's Eck's fault the horses were let out!!!

C3............[lol][lol]

Of course it is, and the snow!

ladybird
03-Apr-12, 19:07
So glad your horses are safe and unhurt. I had mine let out their field in Feb and very luckily someone was around and managed to catch them before anything happened. I hope you have reported it to the police.

Max
03-Apr-12, 20:41
Thanks - just thought I'd let people know ...................

Can't be bothered answering the padlocking gates statement ;)

Moira
03-Apr-12, 21:44

You are right, it would help. It would deter these people all of 30 seconds.

Meantime, people who use the forums for the legitimate reason of warning others in the same area, are ridiculed.

Not every question in life is political, nor is every answer.

Dadie
03-Apr-12, 21:55
It would stop kids....or stupid idiots, but, it wouldnt deter those out to cause trouble!
Seen a couple of cars totalled by hitting a cow and the occupants were lucky to be able to walk away from the accident but the cow wasnt so lucky!
Wonder what goes through the minds of those people (if anything) that do something as stupid and dangerous as this.
Hearing of these senarios more and more.....

bcsman
03-Apr-12, 21:57
well said Moira

You are right, it would help. It would deter these people all of 30 seconds.

Meantime, people who use the forums for the legitimate reason of warning others in the same area, are ridiculed.

Not every question in life is political, nor is every answer.

Corrie 3
04-Apr-12, 05:27
If I had horses I definitely would use a couple of heavy duty locks on the gate, the sort on heavy chain favoured by motorcyclists. I would not rely on a length of old rope to act as a deterrent. I would also make sure I had CCTV set up, it's not as hard or costly as you think!
Horses are valuable, you wouldn't lock your house door or your car door with a bit of old rope would you?
Rural crime is on the increase so why make it easy for these scum?

C3...............[disgust]

parkie
04-Apr-12, 20:22
i know a owner of a riding school who let her horse,s out when the fence was down and being renewed by her neighbour,s,guess who got into trouble

Dadie
04-Apr-12, 22:11
Just a thought that dawned on me....if the gate is so heavily protected and the people doing this for kicks instead of opportunist stupidity....whats stopping them from fence down instead?
Besides some of the worst gates to open in Caithness are the ones wrapped up in rope/baler twine and old wire instead of hinges and bolt!
And the easiest are the ones hanging nicely and have the bolt and stop aligned well!

Phill
04-Apr-12, 22:33
If I had horses I definitely would use a couple of heavy duty locks on the gate, the sort on heavy chain favoured by motorcyclists. I would not rely on a length of old rope to act as a deterrent. I would also make sure I had CCTV set up, it's not as hard or costly as you think!
And instead of post and wire fence you'd have 6ft galvanised security fencing with razor wire on top?
A CCTV system in the middle of nowhere is going to be hard to spot, and lob a brick at.

I'd get some handcuffs and lock all the horses together, that'd stop them from wandering off. :confused

Corrie 3
05-Apr-12, 06:42
And instead of post and wire fence you'd have 6ft galvanised security fencing with razor wire on top?
A CCTV system in the middle of nowhere is going to be hard to spot, and lob a brick at.

I'd get some handcuffs and lock all the horses together, that'd stop them from wandering off. :confused
Ok, so my idea is rubbish and wont stop the determined criminal so I suppose the best thing to do is ...................nothing ! (as is often the case in Caithness)!
If it were to happen to me I would be happier to at least known that I tried to do something to stop it instead of doing absolutely nothing and risk the horses or drivers getting killed!!

C3...........:roll::roll:

Frith
05-Apr-12, 07:15
Dont know if related, but all the fields opposite dounreay had their gates open the other morning, and one of them had a few sheep in.

TAFKAL
05-Apr-12, 08:01
Are these being reported to the police? The police are currently investigating all the livestock being let out so would probably be grateful for more info...

nicnak
05-Apr-12, 08:52
You cant padlock the gates cos stupid people complain it violates their right to roam! Sometimes it is even the same people who complain that leave the gates open! So really you have no get out except move your horses to a field not near a road! dumb eh!