PDA

View Full Version : MSP in single force talks with police chief

Nwicker60
02-Apr-12, 12:27
David Stewart encouraged that chief constable shares his aims

HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS Labour MSP, David Stewart is leading a campaign along with his colleague Rhoda Grant MSP, to have a major function or ‘hub’ of the new single police force based in the North.
Two weeks ago Mr Stewart led questions on the issue at Justice Questions and at that time stated that he, along with his colleague (Rhoda Grant MSP), would do their utmost to protect jobs in the North which included the Moray area.
Speaking today he said: “Last Friday, I met again with the Chief Constable of Northern Constabulary to discuss further this reform. The main reason I wanted to hear from Mr Graham was to hear his thoughts and views on how the new single Police Force would impact on this area. In particular, I am interested to learn what the plans are for service delivery, how best use can be made of the skill base we have here and what particular functions can we realistically expect and demand, are based up here”.
Mr Stewart continued “ I am reassured that Mr Graham, as expected, is very much involved in championing the cause for maintaining the high level of service Northern Constabulary provide to the people of the North and I am happy that we are driving forward along the right road. Finance, IT and Firearms Licensing Administration, along with even Rural Roads Policing could all be based up here”
The Highlands & Islands MSPs have up and running their web site www.singlepoliceforce.org.uk (http://www.singlepoliceforce.org.uk/) which also has a section for signing an on-line petition. All are asked to view this site and sign the petition.
Mr Stewart MSP and Rhoda Grant MSP have already contacted the Police Federation within Northern Constabulary and Grampian Police and also the staff Association Union, Unison. Plans are in hand to have face to face talks with Unison on this matter. Allied to this, the Highlands & Islands MSPs are in contact with the Reform team based at the Police College at Tulliallan.
“We will be representing the views of the people of the North when we meet with these key people” said Mr Stewart. “Having said that, we have to be realistic and apply a degree of common sense to what we demand. It is also important that we listen to the experts in practical policing and take on board their advice. I understand that it may be the end of the year before the chief constable of the Scottish Police Force is appointed. I envisage that the Scottish Police Authority will have to be in place first, so it is important that we try and help shape the way the new force will have an impact on this area” Mr Stewart conclude