PDA

View Full Version : blues n trouble

lagertops
08-Jan-05, 21:50
i seen the above band in glasgow a couple of months ago and thought they were excellent,2 hours of the best rythm and blues i've heard in a long time,everyone was up dancing enjoying themselves, a good night had by all.At the end i got speaking to a band member telling him i was from caithness,He started talking about the times they played in thurso(about 15 years and 10 albums ago).I asked if they fancied a trip north again for old time sake,he said they would be delighted.I spoke to there manager and the band are willing to come up here march time.I was thinking we could have a sat night in skins or the waterfront starting at 8.00 to 10.30 before the disco starts,and send all profits to the tsunami fund.what are other people thoughts on this-can i have some feed back please..............

DanHot
11-Jan-05, 12:40
a great idea - i have seen them in edinburgh and thurso and they were excellent - the venues were bouncing.

CFM
11-Jan-05, 13:56
If you go any further with this, let us know at Caithness FM and we'll make sure its well publicised for you.

Sounds like a good night [/quote]

lagertops
16-Jan-05, 11:38
the band are booked for the 19th march.venue T.B.A.
feed back please......

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 11:45
B 'N' T are, quite possibly, the best boogie-woogie band within the UK over the last 15-20 years. This is a show not to be missed. Get behind the band and tell your friends. Make them welcome (and appreciated) and it might just cajole other, high quality acts, to venture into the Far North.

regalkings
20-Jan-05, 16:07
great band, remember them well :eek:
would definitly be interested in seeing them again. keep us posted about the venue m8.
hope you get a full house as that band will rock!! :D :D

theboss
26-Jan-05, 15:29
Sounds like a great idea. Caithness needs a boost in live music. The only problem is getting the support for it. Hope you get a good turnout.

lagertops
28-Jan-05, 21:16
BLUES N' TROUBLE +SUPPORT SKINANDIS NIGHTCLUB SAT 19TH MARCH 7.30 -10.30ish

George Brims
29-Jan-05, 08:12
Do the band have a web site? Is it possible to get samples of their music online? Since they've attracted so much attention lately I am curious to know what they sound like.

regalkings
15-Feb-05, 23:06
George Brims
check out this link http://www.movinmusic.co.uk/blues_n_trouble.htm

they've got a new album out now as well

looking forward to this gig :D :D

thrumsterloon
15-Feb-05, 23:26
Just had a listen to the tunes on their web site I haven't heard music that good for years

doreenhedgehog
15-Feb-05, 23:30
Here's the official website:

http://www.bluesntrouble.com/

lagertops
14-Mar-05, 22:16
Who's all going on Saturday then ?

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Mar-05, 00:20
Disappointed I won't be there. However, I urge anyone with any real decency or taste to head along. It won't be quite the Rio video by Duran Duran, but you'll get as rubbery as a Bootsy Collins bassline. Respec' the blues for it is no. 1.

sophietotnot
15-Mar-05, 23:41
Can't make the Caithness date but does anyone know where their tour dates can be found? Tried the 2 URLs listed but no dates for 2005 given.

EJS
16-Mar-05, 13:24
Went to get tickets last night - but - guess what? There aren't any...so best turn up early on Saturday !!!

HarmonyQueen
16-Mar-05, 21:15
I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information, but the mighty B'N'T are not gracing Skinandis stage until 12am, and playing until 1.30am. For some reason unknown to me, the club owner is wanting us all in with the teeny boppers, who will only complain when a world class band starts playing infront of them, when all they want is to listen to the DJ playing the rubbish sounds of the modern age. I know of at least 15 people, including myself, who were looking forward to actually hearing an excellent live band, but as soon as we found out that B'N'T are not gonna be on early, we've all decided not to go. Which is a shame, because it's probably gonna be another 15 years until something like this comes round again. I am extremely disappointed, but have heard that Brian will "ask the DJ" if something can be done about the time they start playing. Maybe if more people go to see him about it, he will really take notice and give us what we want!

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Mar-05, 01:03
It beggars belief. You wait years to see a quality live band in Caithness, and when it does, what do you do? Refuse to go, because the band go on later than billed(?). You don't deserve to see a band live Blues 'N' Trouble if that's your attitude: and you wonder why they won't come back. For shame.

Do yourselves a favour and forget bitching; go to the gig, have a drink, let your hair down and have a good time. It may be many years before a band as good as B 'N' T grace Caithness shores again. And more's the pity.

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Mar-05, 01:09
I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information, but the mighty B'N'T are not gracing Skinandis stage until 12am, and playing until 1.30am. For some reason unknown to me, the club owner is wanting us all in with the teeny boppers, who will only complain when a world class band starts playing infront of them, when all they want is to listen to the DJ playing the rubbish sounds of the modern age. I know of at least 15 people, including myself, who were looking forward to actually hearing an excellent live band, but as soon as we found out that B'N'T are not gonna be on early, we've all decided not to go. Which is a shame, because it's probably gonna be another 15 years until something like this comes round again. I am extremely disappointed, but have heard that Brian will "ask the DJ" if something can be done about the time they start playing. Maybe if more people go to see him about it, he will really take notice and give us what we want!

I regret to extend my dismay in your direction Harmony Queen, however, hearing you say that 15 people including yourself won't go to see a band - a band you clearly appreciate - not only disappoints me, it sums up an aspect about some Caithness people I can't stand.

It's takes a lot of time, effort and money for a band like B 'n' T - a real, wholesome live band - (not another tired tribute act) to head so far north. When I met them three months ago we were talking about the days when they played Thurso regularly, and, how it would be great to go back and have another blast. I speak with the band regularly, and I'm sure, knowing them, they'd feel equally disappointed as I do, that you are - sorry have - boycotting their gig because they go on at midnight.

HarmonyQueen
17-Mar-05, 14:30
Pepsi, maybe your standards just arent high enough. If Skinandis is all Thurso has to offer as a venue for real bands, then there is something wrong with this town.

ullevi
17-Mar-05, 14:50
Have to stick up for Pepsi Challenge on this one B N T must be putting a lot of effort into going up to play up north so i am sure if you really like there music you will turn up at Mid Night to see them play.

Much as I can not stand the Skinandis nightclub and there stupid policy of admitting no one after 1 am :confused if it was a band I liked i would turn up and see them no matter what time they came on.This is the usual Caithness attitude you have Harmony Queen of lets get some good entertainment up North for a change then when it happens you make some excuse not to attend :mad:

Do you then wonder why many bands do not play in Caithness ?

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Mar-05, 15:29
Pepsi, maybe your standards just arent high enough. If Skinandis is all Thurso has to offer as a venue for real bands, then there is something wrong with this town.

I'll bite at this one, if it's all the same...

"maybe your standards aren't high enough"

This is a rock show, rock 'n' roll. It's about cutting loose, letting go after a hard week to great music. If a decent band turned up in Caithness and decided to play inside a barn, outside in the freezing cold, whatever - a fan of good live music would still go. You're cutting your nose off to spite your face. Stick to staying indoors and watching Fame Academy or whatever other bourgeois world music is trendy on the telly.

It's people like you who put bands off from coming north. Trust me, I speak to them on a daily basis. I constantly, consistently try to do my ambassador bit for the county - why should I, it never did me, nor my band any favours - and cajole these people to venture north. Maybe I should stop bothering? What you reckon, Harmony Queen?

Do yourself a favour, and put your politics with Skinandis to one side. Please. You'll enjoy yourself, and maybe meeting the band afterward at the bar, will tell them how much you appreciated their efforts and they'll be back again soon.

doreenhedgehog
17-Mar-05, 16:35
Have to agree with Pepsi Challenge for once ;)

There is such a poor attitude towards live music up here, and lots of people complaining that there's not enough. You can't have it both ways. Yes it's a bit late, but not that late in terms of a night out. The sad thing is more people will turn up to see this stupid hypnotist show on Friday than the music on Saturday, whatever time it is on.

I'll be there anyway!

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Mar-05, 16:40
I concur, doreenhedgehog. Enjoy the band. Why not give us a review of the show, here, afterward. I doubt the local papers will.

Cheers :o)

HarmonyQueen
17-Mar-05, 19:00
It's not the fact that it was on late that was my problem. It was the fact that it was going to be in a night club, ie, where people go clubbing. If it was a barn, or in a cold field etc and on at midnight then I would go, I'm sure a load of people would. But, Brian hasn't let us down, nor has B'N'T, as there is now 2 performances, one at 9pm and the original 12am. So thanks very much brian, it's much appreciated. And it's great of the band to agree to do 2 shows, it'll be hard work for them, but will be very much appreciated. Now it will be like a venue and not just a night club. A proper gig. We have the bands CDs and Vinyal, saw them at Scappa house 15 years ago, and now it's gonna feel like its all come round again. And as for this "typical Caithness attitude" you seem to think I have, it's not me who is like the rats from the Pied Piper of Hamlin. Anyway, getting back to the point, B'N'T are onat 9pm, so now we are all happy!! :-) Cheers to an amazing band!

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Mar-05, 00:01
That's all fine and good. Happy to hear that. The point remains: you were still going to boycott the gig had they gone on at midnight, and that is my gripe. By all means enjoy the show(s).

I still won't be rushing to point bands in the Far North direction, however, until people start being a bit more positive.

HarmonyQueen
18-Mar-05, 14:53
What Thurso Council needs to do is build a purpose built venue, with a full on state-of-the-art PA system, stage and lighting system, with a capacity of 500-600 people. Then the bands would come, quite happily North, simply because there would be a venue for both them and the fans. Without hassles of when they start playing and who they play to. For the money garnered in council tax and other taxes, surely it wouldnt be that expensive, and would be a great boost for the far North music scene. It works for the Northern Nashville.

DrSzin
18-Mar-05, 20:15
It works for the Northern Nashville.
Sorry, you've lost me. What works for the Northern Nashville? Surely they don't have a council-funded purpose-built venue with a capacity of 500-600 people?

HarmonyQueen
18-Mar-05, 21:52
The Northern Nashville has their own venue, all be it the Brittish Legion, but it is an organised system that works for them, and has for over 20 years. And now, they have an established festival once a year, first at the caravan site, and now at the riding school. World class bands played last year and will again this year. (A little explanation for those who are either too ignorant to understand a simple opinon, or trying to be smart (but failing miserably.)) So, why not have a purpose built venue in which all types of bands can share? It is young people, at school or in bands in their teens who would benefit most from seeing these live bands, and having them perform in a night club means an instant discrimination to them. Having a proper venue would eliminate that problem. (Does that help clear up matters a bit for you???)

DrSzin
18-Mar-05, 22:49
Thanks! :D

BTW I really was asking "What works for the Northern Nashville?". Your original post didn't actually say.

A purpose-built venue could indeed be ideal, but it would be expensive to build and to run. You would need to make a very strong case to attract funding from either public or private bodies, and its uses would surely have to be a little more all-encompassing than simply providing a venue for local youngsters to see good bands.

If you are so passionate about it, why not test the waters and start a campaign? As the Nike ad says "Just do it!".

doreenhedgehog
20-Mar-05, 10:57
They were brilliant! Everybody I spoke to thought they were very,very good.

moncur
20-Mar-05, 14:20
I also thought that they were amazing, im not the biggest fan of rhythm n blues but that was some good music last nite! does anyone know how old those guys are by the way?

doreenhedgehog
20-Mar-05, 21:22
I also thought that they were amazing, im not the biggest fan of rhythm n blues but that was some good music last nite! does anyone know how old those guys are by the way?

very old!

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Mar-05, 03:49
I hear the show was such a success, Blues 'N' Trouble have already been re-booked for another date in Thurso. (Not that I'm blowing my own trumpet or anything)... but when I met the band at the Edinburgh Venue a couple of months back - their anniversary gig - I suggested they contact Skinandis for a date. After all, I thought, Skinandis would make the trip worth their while, and because B 'N' T always get a great reception in the Far North. Thankfully they did.

HarmonyQueen
21-Mar-05, 23:15
Blues 'N' Trouble took to the stage in Skinandis at around 9:20pm, tuned up and got off down into some serious boogie-woogie, the room reverberating to their brand of rocking blues. They only trouble was the room was over half empty, containing only fans and curious musos. The crowd who came down later danced alright, then again they were still dancing when the louder-than-the-band disco went back on. The band themesleves never really got into top gear but instead delivered refined, tight versions of classics such as Down In Chicago, Bring It On Home and their own classics Travelling Light and Cherry Peaches. Travelling light easily being the best song of the night. All in all, a great night with a class act playing lots of new and old songs, finishing with Long Gone Man from their album With Friends Like These. No encores, strangely enough!! And that was it, (approx) two one and a half hour sets, and a glimpse at a truely great band.

doreenhedgehog
21-Mar-05, 23:20
Blues 'N' Trouble took to the stage in Skinandis at around 9:20pm, tuned up and got off down into some serious boogie-woogie, the room reverberating to their brand of rocking blues. They only trouble was the room was over half empty, containing only fans and curious musos. The crowd who came down later danced alright, then again they were still dancing when the louder-than-the-band disco went back on. The band themesleves never really got into top gear but instead delivered refined, tight versions of classics such as Down In Chicago, Bring It On Home and their own classics Travelling Light and Cherry Peaches. Travelling light easily being the best song of the night. All in all, a great night with a class act playing lots of new and old songs, finishing with Long Gone Man from their album With Friends Like These. No encores, strangely enough!! And that was it, (approx) two one and a half hour sets, and a glimpse at a truely great band.

That sems to be a VERY negative view of the event. I thought they were on top form, and as for no encores - they did two shows instead of one. Remember??

Some people will never be happy. [mad]

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Mar-05, 23:54
As Jim Davis's' Garfield once said: "Everyone's a critic."

lagertops
22-Mar-05, 13:30
Have to agree the band were first class,and fair play to B.Cardosi for taking them up.
But i have to ask where were all the live music fans that continually moan about the lack of top acts coming north ? :confused

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Mar-05, 20:47
I know what you mean, lagertops - like Edinburgh, you almost have to take the show direct to their livingrooms.

When I lived in Caithness, any live band that attempted to do something original (i.e. their own music) I'd always make the effort to trot along and support them; speak to them afterward and make them feel appreciated for playing.

People in Caithness have it too easy. It's time to turn up or shut up.

Prove me wrong...

HarmonyQueen
22-Mar-05, 21:13
What I wrote was positive after seeing an excellent band, a band that I have seen a few times and know for a fact the sort of heights they can reach. I spoke to guitarist Mike Park, and he said that they hadn't rehearsed much and it was a bit loose. Well they could have fooled me, I thought they were really tight. Then again, maybe I am being a bit harsh 'cause I remember the band when John Bruce was in it, and he was a roof rasing guitarist that put the maximum in the blues. But all in all I thought it was a really good performance and I was not being negative at all. I enjoyed it just as much as you guys.

Naefearjustbeer
22-Mar-05, 21:32
Have to agree the band were first class,and fair play to B.Cardosi for taking them up.
But i have to ask where were all the live music fans that continually moan about the lack of top acts coming north ? :confused

probally waiting for the disco to start so they can bop to Steps or some other pop drivel that fills the dance floor :D

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Mar-05, 22:26
What I wrote was positive after seeing an excellent band, a band that I have seen a few times and know for a fact the sort of heights they can reach. I spoke to guitarist Mike Park, and he said that they hadn't rehearsed much and it was a bit loose. Well they could have fooled me, I thought they were really tight. Then again, maybe I am being a bit harsh 'cause I remember the band when John Bruce was in it, and he was a roof rasing guitarist that put the maximum in the blues. But all in all I thought it was a really good performance and I was not being negative at all. I enjoyed it just as much as you guys.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Harmony Queen. Do you remember the ol' B'N'T T-shirts? And I agree, the days when John Bruce were in the band were fantastic. However, John B does play with the B'N'T lads now and again. We haven't seen the last of him. Was Sandy Tweedale playing guitar, too? The slightly beefy character. He's a great guitarist, too. Like John Bruce, they both have their own bands in Edinburgh.

J Wishbone
24-Mar-05, 13:51
I know what you mean, lagertops - like Edinburgh, you almost have to take the show direct to their livingrooms.

When I lived in Caithness, any live band that attempted to do something original (i.e. their own music) I'd always make the effort to trot along and support them; speak to them afterward and make them feel appreciated for playing.

People in Caithness have it too easy. It's time to turn up or shut up.

Prove me wrong...

And let's prove him wrong on the 2nd of April. There are 6 bands playing in the Thurso Viewfirth. All of them playing original music (with afew covers here and there) and most of them from Caithness. This would be the perfect opportunity to show some real support for local bands. A real chance to show that there is support for a music scene in Caithness and at £4 for 6 bands and a bar you just can't complain. Who cares if the bands don't sound like your cup of tea. This is our live music scene we're talking about, and when someone goes to the effort to hire the venue, advertise, hire P.A's, lighting, book the bands and deal with all the other things that go into putting on a show, the least the public could do is turn up in support. On top of all that, all profits will be going to a Caithness charity. All details about the gig are below.

'E' Rock Concert - Saturday 2nd April 7pm
Thurso Viewfirth Main Hall (all profits to go to a local charity)

Bands performing :-

FINDO GASK
(Inverness band who have supported Biffy Clyro and InMe)

BOSSHOGG

CRIMSON TIDE

ALL STITCHED UP

STEVIE TAYLOR BAND

ESTRELLA

Tickets cost £4 and are available from Thurso & Wick Music shops any of the bands or on the door.
Come along and support local live rock, punk and metal. All ages welcome.

**ERC**

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Mar-05, 16:13
Hope all goes well, Wishbone. And you're right - even if people don't like said bands' music, the atmosphere should be worth going for alone. Let us know how it goes. And hassle the local press to review it. Get them out of their cosy suburban bungalows and do their bit to support live music.

HarmonyQueen
24-Mar-05, 21:13
Yeah, wore the t-shirt til it had no arms left and the letters faded and fell off! I spoke to Sandy Tweeddale afterwards, and he told me he has a band, The Blue Hyenas, a good egg, we talked about music for ages. He expressed an interest in getting the BH's up to Thurso. Do you know the name of John Bruce's band and the possibilities of getting his band up? That would be awesome to hear jivin' John Bruce again.

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Mar-05, 13:57
Not sure what John's band is called, sorry. Far as I know he only plays social clubs and the occasional show with B'N'T now and then. The reunion gig at the Edinburgh Venue a few months ago was unreal. Every member who came through the ranks got up and boogied.

Sandy Tweedale's band are well worth checking out. I'm hoping to set up a couple of shows with the Blue Hyena's and my own group soon. If yer in Embra' sometime check us out. On the 18th, we (Gamma Vs Delta) are supporing New York's finest, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. BX always sell-out their Edinburgh shows, so this is a dream come true to be supporting our idols. You might remember BX from their Talk About The Blues video, where Hollywood actors (including Winona Ryder starring as Jon Spencer) played the part of the band. Check 'em out: www.blues-explosion.com

Or www.gammavsdelta.blogspot.com