PDA

View Full Version : Airport Duty Rate

ducati
31-Mar-12, 22:29
I don't travel abroad anymore so I don't pay it. (Seen the world, it's all pretty much the same but some of it smells).

I quite like taxes that only other people pay, particularly when they are destroying the planet. What about you? ;)

secrets in symmetry
31-Mar-12, 22:58
I got a phone call from Motown Airport tonight. I've never had a phone call from Motown before. :cool:

Speaking of Motown, I'll be in Atlanta, Georgia - the home town of Gladys Knight and the Pips - on Wednesday. Gladys and her Pips are the only top Motown act I've seen live - and they were superb. I'll be meeting the Motown crowd just after Atlanta.

I suppose I've paid the tax already, and you lot will be rid of me for a few weeks. It's win win all round really. :cool:

Alrock
31-Mar-12, 23:08
Scrap Airport Duty & Tax Aviation Fuel At The Same Rate Of Tax & Duty As On Petrol...
Only fair way to do it....

changilass
31-Mar-12, 23:20
I don't travel abroad anymore so I don't pay it. (Seen the world, it's all pretty much the same but some of it smells).

I quite like taxes that only other people pay, particularly when they are destroying the planet. What about you? ;)

I take it when you were seeing the world it wasn't destroying the planet.

ducati
01-Apr-12, 07:25
I take it when you were seeing the world it wasn't destroying the planet.

Some say, it is a recent innovation. Some say it is a conspiracy. I say, who knew?

Phill
01-Apr-12, 09:13
Scrap Airport Duty & Tax Aviation Fuel At The Same Rate Of Tax & Duty As On Petrol...Only fair way to do it....Then those on oil heating will be hit too, again attacking the poorest.

Phill
01-Apr-12, 09:19
I got a phone call from Motown Airport tonight. I've never had a phone call from Motown before. :cool:Motown Airport! Cool. As airports go Atlanta is pretty mental, don't envy the controllers job there.

Phill
01-Apr-12, 09:23
I don't travel abroad anymore so I don't pay it. (Seen the world, it's all pretty much the same but some of it smells). I quite like taxes that only other people pay, particularly when they are destroying the planet. What about you? ;)Well the EU are doing a grand job for you, taxing the exhaust fumes of the aeryplanes too. (not only do some of the places smell, they don't talk proper either. Very inconsiderate.)

Alrock
01-Apr-12, 09:57
Then those on oil heating will be hit too, again attacking the poorest.

All domestic fuel should be tax free, heating oil, gas, electricity, etc....
It would also mean that if they wanted to keep the cost of flying down then they would have to reduce fuel duty across the board, including petrol helping the poorest in society.

Corrie 3
01-Apr-12, 10:16
and you lot will be rid of me for a few weeks. It's win win all round really. :cool:
My day just got better !!!

C3.............[lol]

Phill
01-Apr-12, 10:52
and you lot will be rid of me for a few weeks. It's win win all round really.

My day just got better !!!
The Merkins do have tinterweb y'know (unless Obaramarama switches it off)

Phill
01-Apr-12, 11:09
All domestic fuel should be tax free, heating oil, gas, electricity, etc....
It would also mean that if they wanted to keep the cost of flying down then they would have to reduce fuel duty across the board, including petrol helping the poorest in society.
Heating oil is the same stuff they shove in planes, so you want to tax on the use rather than the product. Not impossible but opens up a load of abuse.
Quite agree domestic properties shouldn't be taxed on leccy n' gas (maybe in certain bands, but risking a 'mansion' attack there).
Why bring down the cost of flying? Especially as you reckon it's fairer to tax aviation fuel more.

billmoseley
01-Apr-12, 11:14
I got a phone call from Motown Airport tonight. I've never had a phone call from Motown before. :cool:

Speaking of Motown, I'll be in Atlanta, Georgia - the home town of Gladys Knight and the Pips - on Wednesday. Gladys and her Pips are the only top Motown act I've seen live - and they were superb. I'll be meeting the Motown crowd just after Atlanta.

I suppose I've paid the tax already, and you lot will be rid of me for a few weeks. It's win win all round really. :cool: Are you going in search of Voilet have you had word that she is over there?

Phill
01-Apr-12, 11:17
Are you going in search of Voilet have you had word that she is over there?Good point, seems to have narrowed the search down to Georgia & Arizona so shouldn't take too long! :eek:

Alrock
01-Apr-12, 12:50
Heating oil is the same stuff they shove in planes, so you want to tax on the use rather than the product. Not impossible but opens up a load of abuse.
If they can do red diesel for agricultural machinery then they can do red heating oil for domestic use... I'd think they'd notice if airports started buying red heating oil in bulk...

Why bring down the cost of flying? Especially as you reckon it's fairer to tax aviation fuel more.
Didn't say that they should bring down the cost of flying just that there should be an equal amount of duty on fuel no matter the method of transportation which at current levels of duty would make flying prohibitively expensive. So if they wanted to make flying more affordable then they would have to lower fuel duty across the board.

ducati
01-Apr-12, 15:48
Quite agree domestic properties shouldn't be taxed on leccy n' gas (maybe in certain bands, but risking a 'mansion' attack there).

I think the point is to put up the cost of flying. So less people do it or more people do it less often.

Phill
01-Apr-12, 15:53
Hmmm...that'd take a family holiday in Spain from £96.00 tax to over £1000 :eek:
And bring in about £10 billion to the treasury, potentially.

Just don't mention it to the Submarine.

Phill
01-Apr-12, 15:56
I think the point is to put up the cost of flying. So less people do it or more people do it less often.Whilst at the same time expanding the UK's capacity for aviation. Duke, Your not falling for the spin that it is to reduce Co2 rather than raise revenues are you??

ducati
01-Apr-12, 22:24
Whilst at the same time expanding the UK's capacity for aviation. Duke, Your not falling for the spin that it is to reduce Co2 rather than raise revenues are you??

Well look, its like fags isn't it? The grubbiement know it is bad for us, we know it is bad for us, so they can tax it and tax it and no one complains (that anyone else cares about). But, there is a hardcore that won't give up and can be relied upon to cough up (:eek:) forever.

Look at the current financial climate. Everyone is pleading poverty, but are they giving up their hols to anywhere from Benidorm to Burmuda? er no.

Phill
01-Apr-12, 23:02
Exactly, just revenue raising and begger all to do with saving the planet.

changilass
01-Apr-12, 23:21
All that will happen is that we will go back to the good old days of only the rich being able to afford hols.

Can't have hols in this country as its sooooo bliddy expensive.

Alrock
02-Apr-12, 00:27
All that will happen is that we will go back to the good old days of only the rich being able to afford hols.

Just like how we're slowly drifting back to the good old days of only the rich being able to afford to drive.

ducati
02-Apr-12, 05:16

Can't have hols in this country as its sooooo bliddy expensive.

With respect changi, that's a myth. We always holiday in Scotland. We get deals for self catering and hotels or B& Bs that rarely exceed £50 per night. So if you like that's £350 PW for accommodation (2 peeps and 2 dogs), food is what it is you need it wherever you are. Cost of car hire nil, cost of airfair nil, cost of travel is fuel depends how far you go.

poppett
02-Apr-12, 08:09
I am with Ducati on this one, although we tend to use Travelodge and book ahead when the rooms are really cheap. 60 quid for five nights in three different venues over Easter can`t be bad.

Old story, if you want something bad enough you will find a way to finance it.

Phill
02-Apr-12, 18:29
Just like how we're slowly drifting back to the good old days of only the rich being able to afford to drive.
All that will happen is that we will go back to the good old days of only the rich being able to afford hols. Can't have hols in this country as its sooooo bliddy expensive.Airline flights have never been cheaper! We're talking an extra £8 on the average family jolly to the Costa del wherever. If you change your pennies for Euros on the wrong day it'll cost you more. You need to be thanking the Duke, as the tax revenue from his hand rolled cigars offsets a far higher APD. I don't hear anyone screaming about the EU-ETS! (Apart from the US)

Edit: Alrock, you were advocating putting duty on Kero for flights, this would double the fuel cost. Deffo wouldn't be affording to go far then!

secrets in symmetry
02-Apr-12, 21:07
Motown Airport! Cool. As airports go Atlanta is pretty mental, don't envy the controllers job there.It'll be even more mental than usual with Tiger and his mates in town.

Corrie 3
02-Apr-12, 21:23
It'll be even more mental than usual with Tiger and his mates in town.
There's a clue there folks........................Sock Puppet.
Tiger Woods and S-i-S......Both Forum Members !!
Yes, I can sleep easy tonight having cracked that pair!!!!

C3................:eek::roll::roll:

Phill
02-Apr-12, 23:16
It'll be even more mental than usual with Tiger and his mates in town.Depends if there in Atlanta? Motown Airport is in Arizona and a tad quieter than Atlanta.