PDA

View Full Version : It's Earth Hour tonight!!

Rheghead
31-Mar-12, 19:36
How many are turning their lights out at 8.30 tonight?:confused

Kodiak
31-Mar-12, 19:44
Errr, Why? What is Earth Hour?

canuck
31-Mar-12, 19:49
How many are turning their lights out at 8.30 tonight?:confused

I'm on board at 8:30 Rheghead!

RecQuery
31-Mar-12, 20:12
Even if everyone on the planet turned off everything electrical for an hour that wouldn't counter balance even a single coal-fired power station in China, India or Africa.

It's basically ecological theatre; a mantra, chant or gris-gris performed or used by those people who use up the most resources in the belief that this will absolve them of some perceived guilt or so that they can pat themselves on the back for being so responsible. It's the illusion of being ecological without actually being ecological.

What we need is a campaign to get people to stop having children or pets they have a far higher ecological impact than leaving your power on.

canuck
31-Mar-12, 20:37
Errr, Why? What is Earth Hour?

It is a yearly event held the last Saturday of March when orgers turn off all their lights and gather round their computer screens to have a good blether, an opportunity to catch up on what's been going on.

I doubt that many people actually think that they are contributing to a great saving of electricity. But it does bring attention to the need to conserve and hopefully focuses a few more people and a few more resources to the issues of the environment.

Corrie 3
31-Mar-12, 20:47
It is a yearly event held the last Saturday of March when orgers turn off all their lights and gather round their computer screens to have a good blether, an opportunity to catch up on what's been going on.

I doubt that many people actually think that they are contributing to a great saving of electricity. But it does bring attention to the need to conserve and hopefully focuses a few more people and a few more resources to the issues of the environment.
Do we have to hold hands and hug a tree at the same time? I for one am going to find that difficult to do unless I do both one-handed!!!

C3...................:roll::roll:

RecQuery
31-Mar-12, 20:51
Do we have to hold hands and hug a tree at the same time? I for one am going to find that difficult to do unless I do both one-handed!!!

C3...................:roll::roll:

There are many things that can be done one-handed and harkening back to my previous post one of these may help lower the number of children also. So win-win I guess. One of these - the same one actually - activities also happens to be the physical manifestation or what a lot of environmentalists are.

secrets in symmetry
31-Mar-12, 21:45
There are many things that can be done one-handed and harkening back to my previous post one of these may help lower the number of children also. So win-win I guess. One of these - the same one actually - activities also happens to be the physical manifestation or what a lot of environmentalists are.Lol!

Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct on all counts.

I hate gesture politics - so I switched on every light in the house when I arrived home just after 8:30pm. :cool:

ducati
31-Mar-12, 22:16
What we need is a campaign to get people to stop having children or pets they have a far higher ecological impact than leaving your power on.

Or computers

RecQuery
01-Apr-12, 01:47
Or computers

I mean we could, power use by your average modern home computer or laptop is pretty low though. In terms of what a person could do, less cars, international holidays, children and pets would have the most impact. But again it's more gesture politics that helps 'earth mothers' and 'free radicals' feel that their part of the solution and gives them consent to act smug.

I realise your statement was obviously some attempt to appear witty, mais non though, it needs more work.

ducati
01-Apr-12, 07:39
I mean we could, power use by your average modern home computer or laptop is pretty low though. In terms of what a person could do, less cars, international holidays, children and pets would have the most impact. But again it's more gesture politics that helps 'earth mothers' and 'free radicals' feel that their part of the solution and gives them consent to act smug.

I realise your statement was obviously some attempt to appear witty, mais non though, it needs more work.

I do wonder about the carbon footprint of the industry that manufactures billions of devices, many in countries that don't do green?

Car manufacture should have stopped at least 30 years ago.

Stopping children? mmm a bit self defeating in terms of saving the planet. Pets? Life wouldn't be worth living.

Raising awareness? It might do some good and certainly won't do any harm.

tonkatojo
01-Apr-12, 08:16
I do wonder about the carbon footprint of the industry that manufactures billions of devices, many in countries that don't do green?

Car manufacture should have stopped at least 30 years ago.

Stopping children? mmm a bit self defeating in terms of saving the planet. Pets? Life wouldn't be worth living.

Raising awareness? It might do some good and certainly won't do any harm.

I agree with ducati on al counts,I might even vote for the tory green taxes, roll on tomorrow ;).

linnie612
01-Apr-12, 15:42
I hate gesture politics - so I switched on every light in the house when I arrived home just after 8:30pm. :cool:

Thereby, making a gesture...;)

ducati
01-Apr-12, 15:43
I agree with ducati on al counts,I might even vote for the tory green taxes, roll on tomorrow .

:eek::eek::eek:

tonkatojo
01-Apr-12, 16:17
:eek::eek::eek:

What's today's date ?.

secrets in symmetry
01-Apr-12, 23:14
Thereby, making a gesture...;)I am gesture free, unlike this man....

http://i.somethingawful.com/u/garbageday/2011/Photoshop_Phriday/handgestures/slothgirl_01.jpg