PDA

View Full Version : Differing Road Surfaces!

Angel
30-Mar-12, 23:00
Just had new tyres fitted and noticed such a differences in road noise. And varying too!

I understand that different manufacturers have different ideas about treads and things but,

Some road surfaces make you jump as you think you have suddenly got a flat tyre or something.

What is the criteria for road surfaces as some appears smooth and some rough, some reddish or greyish...

One would have thought there was some kind of perfect universal mix they could lay...

Any ideas out there...

Angel...

ducati
30-Mar-12, 23:21
As a motorcyclist, I can vouch for how abbrasive they are when you are sliding on your butt. :eek:

Kodiak
30-Mar-12, 23:39
They just down whatever is the cheapest at the time.

oldmarine
31-Mar-12, 00:17
Some times it's the tyres making those road noises. I have learned to read the manufacturing dates on the tyres. It's amazing how tyre dealers slip old tyres onto your vehicles without your knowledge.

Dadie
31-Mar-12, 00:22
nope the tryes dont make a difference ...its the roads here......patched to hell and otherwise the bits that seem fine have peat bog disturbance to them!

upolian
31-Mar-12, 08:38
Tyre's make a difference to alot more than you think,noise included!

joxville
31-Mar-12, 19:41
Just had new tyres fitted and noticed such a differences in road noise. And varying too! I understand that different manufacturers have different ideas about treads and things but,Some road surfaces make you jump as you think you have suddenly got a flat tyre or something.What is the criteria for road surfaces as some appears smooth and some rough, some reddish or greyish... One would have thought there was some kind of perfect universal mix they could lay...Any ideas out there...Angel...Tyres do make a small difference to the road noise you suffer, but the main cause is as you said, different types of road surface. The colour really makes no difference, it's just a coloured fibre or pigment added to the asphalt during the mixing process; any wearing course, (the surface you drive on), can be coloured, but it's more expensive, which is why black is so popular. ;-) All road specifications are determined by your local authority or council, or whoever is in charge of the Trunk roads in your area. Asphalt must meet a European spec, though for the last 5 years since uniformity was brought in by the EU, the only countries that follow the guidelines are Britain and, er....that's it. The French, Spanish and Germans still do their own design, which is still a good surface to drive on, just annoying that as usual, the Brits bend to suit the EU. Having said that, all of the asphalt that my employer produces meets or exceeds EU standards, and it's probably the same for whoever does the roads in Caithness, it just comes down to what spec the council has asked to be laid, the cheapest being a spread of tar and chips, which as everyone knows, is a complete waste of time and money, plus it also causes damage to vehicles. The weather does play a small part in what road surface is chosen, but mostly it's money is the deciding factor.

Angel
31-Mar-12, 21:38
Now thats the kind of answer I was hoping to get... well done Jox...

Angel...

squidge
31-Mar-12, 22:53
I remember there used to be a stretch of the A74 just after Moffat I think, coming north and the noise from the road surface was incredible. It used to scare me half to death when we hit it ... The kids used to ask "what's that noise mummy?" It sounded like we had a flat tyre. It went on for a few miles before disappearing. Strange.

spaceddaisy
01-Apr-12, 10:28
I'm sure that stretch of the A74 was a trial of a new surface (I want to say concrete but can't remember). I used to ask the same thing when I was a kid and that was the story my dad would give me.

Phill
01-Apr-12, 11:14
Think it probably would be concrete surfaces for scaring the bejesus out of yer, wakes you up too which is handy.
Don't many trunk roads or motorways have concrete anymore, or certainly a reducing amount.

Big Gaz
02-Apr-12, 12:14
Theres a long stretch of the A180 heading into Grimsby thats concrete, maybe 10-12 miles of it. Certainly does the head in with the constant noise......on another note, the concrete can't be good for tyres as the couple of times the old truck failed to proceed (sorry, had a Rolls-Royce engine in my old Leyland truck) on that stretch, i noticed a lot of long, thick black dust deposits at the side of the road which a traffic officer later told me was tyre rubber.....:eek:

Alrock
02-Apr-12, 12:25
Theres a long stretch of the A180 heading into Grimsby thats concrete, maybe 10-12 miles of it...... i noticed a lot of long, thick black dust deposits at the side of the road which a traffic officer later told me was tyre rubber.....:eek:

If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say that tyre manufacturers had had a hand in the laying of concrete roads to help boost tyre sales...

George Brims
02-Apr-12, 20:20
I'm sure that stretch of the A74 was a trial of a new surface (I want to say concrete but can't remember). I used to ask the same thing when I was a kid and that was the story my dad would give me.
It was a trial if I recall correctly of a new way of grooving the concrete. It made an awful racket depending on the tread pattern of your tires. Here in California they use some kind of semi-random grooving that doesn't do that. However once the concrete wears into a washboard pattern you get this nasty floppity-floppity noise that makes you think you have a puncture. At that point they either re-lay it or cover it with asphalt.