PDA

View Full Version : e-mail problem

poppett
30-Mar-12, 00:15
For some strange reason I opened my email yesterday to 103 failure notices. I hadn`t sent anything to anyone, but one person emailed to say whatever I had tried to send contained a virus. Anybody have a clue what that is about?

Fran
30-Mar-12, 00:24
This is definetly a virus. It send to all your contacts. Scan all your computer to get rid of it.

Corrie 3
30-Mar-12, 06:39
You have been hacked, what virus protection are you using?

C3................:eek:

Tilly Teckel
30-Mar-12, 08:15
The same thing happened to me a while back. I updated my antivirus, scanned my PC again and found a lovely virus! I also deleted all of my email contacts and changed the password to be sure no more messages went out. Pain in the behind, but it worked!

secrets in symmetry
30-Mar-12, 23:57
For some strange reason I opened my email yesterday to 103 failure notices. I hadn`t sent anything to anyone, but one person emailed to say whatever I had tried to send contained a virus. Anybody have a clue what that is about?Do you know the person that emailed you? Is he or she in your email address book? I would guess not.

I ask because I suspect this has nothing to do with your computer having a virus, or having been "hacked". IMO it's more likely that a spammer has sent an email that purports to be from you - the recipient list will have had 103 invalid email addresses, so you received 103 failure messages.

Having said that, it's always a good idea to make sure your malware protection software is up to date, and to perform a scan.

poppett
31-Mar-12, 17:04
The person who emailed me was my stepson.
Have AVG and Malwarebytes. Ran Malwarebytes and no bugs reported on the scan.
Hope it was just a glitch.

secrets in symmetry
31-Mar-12, 18:32
Hmm, given that one of the recipients of the rogue email was your stepson, it's more likely than I first thought that you have some malware on your computer. Do you have more than one computer, and, if so, have you scanned all of them? Is AVG up to date, and have you updated Malwarebytes recently?

You could also try other malware detectors such as Microsoft Security Essentials (which some people swear by) or Spybot.

Another possibility is that the infected computer belongs to someone whose address book contains you and your stepson.

Hopefully, you will receive some advice from members who know more about Windows security than I do.

RecQuery, Bobinovich and the MSE advocating guy (whose name escapes me - sorry) all know more than I do.

Alrock
31-Mar-12, 19:03
I know someone having a similar problem....
The emails appear to be coming from them & being sent to everyone in the address book, both personal & collected, hence why so many failure notices since they are going to both mistyped addresses & "Do Not Reply" addresses....
My guess is that someone somehow got hold of the address book & is spoofing the email address so that even though they where never sent from that email address the failure notices are coming back to it.

gingernut
08-Apr-12, 19:32
I know someone having a similar problem....
The emails appear to be coming from them & being sent to everyone in the address book, both personal & collected, hence why so many failure notices since they are going to both mistyped addresses & "Do Not Reply" addresses....
My guess is that someone somehow got hold of the address book & is spoofing the email address so that even though they where never sent from that email address the failure notices are coming back to it.

This has recemtly happened to my son. He's presently being inundated with failure notices and out of office replies for messages he never sent. Someone or something is sending emails appearing to be from him with various links eg techproindia.in and raincitystory.com
Does anyone know how to sort the problem?

david
08-Apr-12, 19:41
This has recemtly happened to my son. He's presently being inundated with failure notices and out of office replies for messages he never sent. Someone or something is sending emails appearing to be from him with various links eg techproindia.in and raincitystory.com
Does anyone know how to sort the problem?

Would system restore work? Im not sure but when we had a trojan running in the background, by restoring the pc to an earlier date we were able to get rid of it.