PDA

View Full Version : Returning goods

veekay
28-Mar-12, 17:49
I do know that I have seen something about this on the org but can't find it so sorry to repeat.

A laptop bought at Tesco in October last year has broken. I believe it should go back to Tesco for repair or renewal. Tesco are putting it onto the manufacturer. Can anyone out there tell me what my rights are
Thanks very much

pat
28-Mar-12, 17:58
Have a word with Trading Standards first, they will advise and support you with your problem.
Sorry do not have contact numbers but there is a national help line which is usually answered here at the call centre in Lewis - the telephone no of Consumer Advice is 08454040506.

I understand they are the same people but I prefer dealing face to face with Trading Standards and they will help you make the call or help with writing your letter or take the problem up with the correct authorities with you, just my preference.

gmcborgie
28-Mar-12, 18:05
Your contract is with Tesco, the onus is on them to sort it or replace. Trading Standards will advise you how to deal with them.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/livinghere/consumeradvice/

Hoida
28-Mar-12, 18:10
Had this problem with Tesco last year when keys kept breaking on 6month old laptop. Contacted Tesco who put me in contact with manufacturer. When I rang them they wanted a handling charge which we thought was extortionate. Eventually bought a new set of keys from Amazon and that cost about £25. No more purchases from Tesco and definitely not another Acer laptop.

squidge
28-Mar-12, 18:37
I had a laptop problem and phoned the manufacturer and the laddie on the phone was just rude. I took the laptop, which was about three months old back to tesco here in inverness. They said i had to phone the manufacturer and i told them i was not doing so because they were rude and wanted to charge me to send it back and that i wasnt speaking to them again. They replaced the laptop with no bother and the new one has been fine!

Scunner
28-Mar-12, 20:56
I had a problem with a laptop bought from Tesco. Advice was to send it to the manufacturer, Acer. They gave me a telephone number and I contacted Acer direct. Acer was great, free carriage each way. Very helpful, I could not fault them. Hope this helps.

dx100uk
28-Mar-12, 22:20
forget any type of warranty that is always EXTRA
and on top of your statutory rights under SOGA.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/forcustomers

tesco is your target,

as the 'fault' is outside of 6mts
you might have to pay for an independent inspection
to detail the fault[s].
this should then be fwded to tesco's along with the laptop.

any 'fees' charged for the inspection will also be refunded by the retailer.

it might well be that tesco's will send it to the manu without one.

but ideally you should go through tescos first instance.

if you are happy to go with the manu, then thats your choice
however, SOGA does not apply to them as the manu.
so no guarantee the repair will be free.

never ever send orginal documents like receipts, copy/scan them.

dx

Bobinovich
28-Mar-12, 22:40
A customer recently purchased an Acer system from Amazon which, within a week, stopped working. Amazon said he should contact Acer who duly took it back for repair but he's now facing weeks of delay due to lack of spare parts. Turns out if he'd insisted it go back to Amazon then he could have had a new replacement system shipped out (or his money refunded), but that now Acer have it, Amazon will not send a replacement unless the original unit is returned to them. I believe he's now buying a similar non-Acer system elsewhere and is planning on returning the repaired unit to Amazon for a full refund on it's arrival.

Moral of the story definitely push Tesco for a replacement, as that's where it was bought, & let them have the hassle of dealing with Acer!

Kodiak
28-Mar-12, 22:43
as the 'fault' is outside of 6mts
you might have to pay for an independent inspection
to detail the fault

OP said it was bought in October last year and that is only 5 Months ago.

veekay.... I have sent you a PM and I hope the info will help you.

Dadie
28-Mar-12, 22:49
Its the sellers (if a shop or trader) onus on problems not the manufacture.
Thats in the bill of consumer rights.
So faulty items should go back to the shop and you should stand your ground on that.
It may not buy you friends, but, it does mean your item should come back fault free faster or replaced!

dx100uk
28-Mar-12, 23:06
OP said it was bought in October last year and that is only 5 Months ago.

veekay.... I have sent you a PM and I hope the info will help you.
i never could count.......

doesn't need an ind inspect them

go get 'em under soga

as for the amazon one

that will be covered by DSR rules
Distance Selling Act - Business Perspective - http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...ral/oft698.pdf
Distance Selling Act - FAQ - http://www.out-law.com/page-430

dx

veekay
29-Mar-12, 09:28
Thanks everyone. I have contacted Trading Standards and intend to go to Tesco and sort it out (probably tomorrow so if you fancy watching fur fly!) It is only 5 months old so have them, hopefully they will be nice and realise I have the fact right. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for the info. Kodiak

pat
29-Mar-12, 09:39
Good on you - go for it, do not take them fobbing you off again, you know your grounds now so do not take any rubbish from them, if need be you have the bits of law and you can quote them and who will back you up.
best wishes.

veekay
30-Mar-12, 19:45
Sorted[evil]

pat
30-Mar-12, 20:19
Great news.

dx100uk
30-Mar-12, 21:25
so's other may benefit

how was it resolved
just asked again at the desk?

dx

veekay
31-Mar-12, 10:11
I wish! Stuck to my guns, knew I was in the right and had the law on my side. . Took about an hour of standing repeating myself (but I'm a Mum so am used to that!) Just don't give in.

dx100uk
31-Mar-12, 10:18
was this the wick one.

i've returned several faulty things and never had an issue

one even without a receipt
they just sorted it no questions asked.

dx

veekay
01-Apr-12, 18:33
Lucky you!

secretsquirrel
10-Apr-12, 14:11
when returning any goods I allways work to the following - go to the organ grinder not the monkeys!!!!

Any problems allways ask for the most senior manager and then if they will not replace or refund as for reason in writing then and there along with the manager's signature.