PDA

View Full Version : Home networking.

LadyPark
07-Jan-05, 18:13
Help !! My daughter wants to share my broadband connection, and i dont know where to start. I have bought a crossover cat5 cable to connect the two pc's, is this all i need?
Both run windows xp. Any help would be greatfully accepted, cheers.

dirdyweeker
08-Jan-05, 01:18
I too have my teenage son trying to find out how to get my broadband connected to his new computer. glad of any advice

Colin Manson
08-Jan-05, 01:42
LadyPark,

Just connect the crossover cable to both PCs, On your PC go to My Network Places and run the Task called "Set up a Home or Small Office Network"

You want to setup your PC as the one that connects to the Internet and other PCs connect via your PC, you can also allow File and Printer sharing if you want.

When you run the setup on the second PC choose the secong Internet conection option, connect via another PC on the network.

Leave the Workgroup name as MSHOME on both, you can choose whatever you like for the PC name and description.

That should setup the network and allow Internet Sharing Connection.

dirdyweeker,

You need to post your Setup.

Things we need to know - Internet connection type - USB, Ethernet, Wireless Router etc

Operating Systems on all the PCs you are using

For Example

Main PC - Windows XP
Second PC Windows 2000 Pro
Third PC Suse 9.0

Internet connection via Ethernet Router

Then we can tell you what setup will be best for you.

Cheers
Colin

Riffman
08-Jan-05, 14:03
Whilst we're on the subject of networking, does anyone know how to network an AOL broadband connection? We have a USB modem (which are useless) and it can't connect to my Linksys Router (which I use as a switch) directly, so is there anyway it can be done?

When I go into network connections and try to bridge connections it tells me that it cannot be done. Is there a way to manually set up a connection without using all the wizards which do not work?

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Riff

BTW both computers run XP and are networked.

dirdyweeker
08-Jan-05, 14:27
I have windows xp on main computer with bt broadband, using usb connection. 2nd computer has windows xp also but we have not got connection cables as unsure what is needed.Thanks for any help. links to purchase necessary equipment would be useful please.

Colin Manson
08-Jan-05, 14:50
Whilst we're on the subject of networking, does anyone know how to network an AOL broadband connection? We have a USB modem (which are useless) and it can't connect to my Linksys Router (which I use as a switch) directly, so is there anyway it can be done?

Does the Linksys have and ADSL modem in it?

If not you could buy an ethernet modem to connect to the router or

Use Internet Connection Sharing - Connect 1 PC via USB and share the connection on the network (can be done via the network wizard)

Cheers
Colin

Colin Manson
08-Jan-05, 15:16
not got connection cables as unsure what is needed.Thanks for any help. links to purchase necessary equipment would be useful please.

You have a few options I'll list them

Crossover cable - links one PC directly to the other (as LadyPark is doing)

Cheap option but no scope for adding another PC/DVD/Console etc

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=40&CategoryID=39&ProductID=321

You'll need to search for the cheapest postage, the cables are all pretty cheap. that link is for a 3M cable but you can buy 20M cables on other sites.

ADSL Router

Connects to Phoneline, Supplies ADSL to the Box, Box connects to 4 devices supplying your broadband connection

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=&CategoryID=1&ProductID=1794

You'd also need a second cable patch with that, total cost ~£45

The second option is better because the router connects to the ADSL, that means that you don't loose the connection is the PC is rebooted or one of the is switched off.

Wireless ADSL Router

More expensive, need to buy wireless network cards for each PC and the router.

Maybe cost about £100 but I can link to one if you really want.

Cheers
Colin

Riffman
10-Jan-05, 13:18
No matter what I try, it will not let me share my internet. I have a nasty feeling that AOL have written something into my reg so that I cannot share the connection. They say on their site that the broadband AOL 256K cannot be networked. I think that this is very unfair. I have run all the wizards etc and it will not connect.

The router does not have a modem in it. I am thinking of maybe getting a proper ADSL modem, not one of these rubbish USB thingys that AOL gave me. [evil]

Riff

Colin Manson
10-Jan-05, 14:03
I don't have a lot of experience with AOL apart from throwing the CDs away, avoiding them like the plague and not being able to help people because they have AOL problems.

I did help someone network an AOL connection once, he was having problems and I looked on the net for a solution, there are issues with sharing any kind of AOL but I know that you can do it with some types of their BB. The problem that time was the format of the Username, it required the complete username@aol and not just the username that he had been using with the USB.

If it is a reg thing then you can be sure that someone will have a fix for it, just do some googling.

Cheers
Colin

grmacken
10-Jan-05, 14:29
AOL networking is hell to figure out. windows xp is partly to fault, I cant remember the details as it was about 3 years ago I did it but windows has a limit on the number of I think dial up connections or something and the problem is aol uses 2 preventing internet connection shairing from working... deliberate ploy on aols part I think.

solution..

you need a proxy server program. eg pppshar

http://www.pppindia.com/intl/pppshar/

there are others out there, looking on zdnet downloads may help

3 years ago this was not easy to use, it took 2 computer scientists ages to get it working, beer may not of helped ;)

for any other company like wanadoo or tiscali it is easy to do using internet connection sharing.

Zael
10-Jan-05, 15:11
AOL [lol] [lol] [lol]

Sorry....

DrSzin
10-Jan-05, 15:43
Maybe I am just being dumb, but I would have thought that a router with built-in ADSL modem would do the trick nicely.

The router connects to the ISP via ADSL, and each PC connects to the router via ethernet cable (or wireless). There's only one login to the service provider (with all details stored in the router, and accessible via web browser), the router looks after all NAT issues, and the ISP doesn't even have to know it's talking to a home network. The question of dialup connections or Windows XP internet sharing doesn't even arise -- unlike the case of a solution using a USB ADSL modem - and no AOL software needs to be installed on any PC. A 4-port ADSL router (wired) costs about £60, with wireless costing say 20 quid more.

But, then again, maybe I am just being naive, and AOL can indeed interfere with such a simple setup. I have always avoided AOL, and perhaps this shows!

~~Tides~~
18-Jan-05, 19:33
LadyPark,

Just connect the crossover cable to both PCs, On your PC go to My Network Places and run the Task called "Set up a Home or Small Office Network"

You want to setup your PC as the one that connects to the Internet and other PCs connect via your PC, you can also allow File and Printer sharing if you want.

When you run the setup on the second PC choose the secong Internet conection option, connect via another PC on the network.

Leave the Workgroup name as MSHOME on both, you can choose whatever you like for the PC name and description.

That should setup the network and allow Internet Sharing Connection.

Thinking about setting up a system like this but a couple of questions if anyone can answer;
If I want to go on the internet or print something on the secondary PC does the main PC have to be switched on?
Also the main PC is Win98 and quite old, will I have to install anything onto it or add any hardware?
Lastly, heard someone metion above that a USB modem is crap. I am planning to build a new computor, would it be better to have a PCI broadband modem if that exists?

Thanks

19-Jan-05, 09:58
BT sell a ADSL wireless router/modem/hub calls *surprise* Home Network.
Used to be supported by helpdesk in Thurso.
Contact BT Sales.

DrSzin
19-Jan-05, 13:55
Thinking about setting up a system like this but a couple of questions if anyone can answer;
If I want to go on the internet or print something on the secondary PC does the main PC have to be switched on?

Yes -- to both questions (assuming that the printer is attached to the main PC).

Also the main PC is Win98 and quite old, will I have to install anything onto it or add any hardware?

Well, obviously you need an ethernet card in each PC. I think Win 98 allows you to set up a home network like that but I'm not sure. I used to share files between a Win 98 laptop and a Mac using an ethernet crossover cable, but neither was connected to the net by broadband. Maybe Colin can help on this one.

Lastly, heard someone mention above that a USB modem is crap. I am planning to build a new computor, would it be better to have a PCI broadband modem if that exists?
USB ADSL modems are not "crap", they are just cheap and cheerful. In fact they are essentially the standard nowadays. PCI ADSL modems exist, but I have no experience of them -- sorry.

If I were you, I would buy a wireless ADSL router and setup your new (and old) PC in the way I described in my post of 10 Jan 2005 above. Then any PC (or Mac) can access the internet irrespective of whether any other PC is on or off. Your router can be connected to your broadband ISP 24/7.

Whichever network setup you choose, if your printer is hosted by a PC, you can only print to that printer if its host PC is up and running. The alternative is to buy a printer with an ethernet card and plug it directly into the router. Printers with wireless connections also exist and these are getting cheaper all the time.

19-Jan-05, 15:28
I wouldnt put a PCI ADSL modem into a PC....... too flakey, connx tends to drop etc. And you can'teffectively run another PC from it as in internet connection. etc.

A wireless router/modem and a wireless card in the PC would work better, given the limitations of the wireless signal i.e. avoid stone/brick walls, 50mtr radius of signal, etc etc

Of the kit currently available my preference is for Netgear - the Rolls Royce of network kit IMHO. OK other kit is cheaper but cheap isnt reliable.

~~Tides~~
19-Jan-05, 18:54
Ahh!!! Confusement -> :confused

OK, so what prices are we talking about for these items; Router, Ethernet thingymajig etc?

And you are saying that the router makes to difference to the line comming into the house, ie. the isp (BT) doesn need to know or be affected?
This router, Is it a part of the computor or does it sit seperatly?
Do you then connect to the internet through your ethernet card?
I take it two PCs cant be on the internet at once. Can you set up a printing network up through the router as well?

Thanks a lot for helping me with this. :)

19-Jan-05, 21:34
OK, so what prices are we talking about for these items; Router, Ethernet thingymajig etc?
Try buying online, it seems to be the trend nowadays ........
Buying local of course costs more but it at least should ensure that the kit is installed correctly :D & you've got local support on tap.

And you are saying that the router makes to difference to the line comming into the house, ie. the isp (BT) doesn need to know or be affected?

You're buying SERVICE from the ISP, what you do with your ADSL signal has nowt to do with them, unless you're breaking the law.

This router, Is it a part of the computor or does it sit seperatly?
Separate device, plugged into power and ADSL socket, then connx to PC/MAC, from whence it may be configured.
Connx to host PC can be USB or Ethernet.

Do you then connect to the internet through your ethernet card?
as above - Ethernet card or USB if the router has USB port.
If the router has additional Ethernet sockets you can cable up more PCs/Macs, & if it has wireless then even better still :D

I take it two PCs cant be on the internet at once.
Why ever not ? Thats exactly what the BT Home Network 1250 / 1800 devices do, as well as most other router/dsl modems etc
Netgear DG843G cheaper & better IMHO :D

Can you set up a printing network up through the router as well?
'Sno problem. Connect a print server to the router and all PCs can print to any of the printers connected to the print server.
But why not SHARE a printer across the network you've just created ?

fred
19-Jan-05, 23:22

Well, obviously you need an ethernet card in each PC. I think Win 98 allows you to set up a home network like that but I'm not sure. I used to share files between a Win 98 laptop and a Mac using an ethernet crossover cable, but neither was connected to the net by broadband. Maybe Colin can help on this one.

AFAIK ICS was only available for SE and I don't think there was an easy way to set up a network bridge in 98 at all.

If it's plain 98 I wouldn't bother trying, it would be possible to get a web browser to work
by running a proxy on the main computer but that's about it.

DrSzin
20-Jan-05, 01:47
AFAIK ICS was only available for SE and I don't think there was an easy way to set up a network bridge in 98 at all.
Yup, I had forgotten that you needed Win98 SE (Second edition) for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

If it's plain 98 I wouldn't bother trying, it would be possible to get a web browser to work by running a proxy on the main computer but that's about it.
Note that Fred is referring to the Internet Sharing solution here. Connecting a plain Win98 PC with a router should be ok. I have never done it, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible -- please correct me if I am wrong!

I would probably go for a wireless ADSL router with (say) 4 ethernet ports and one USB port. I prefer ethernet connections between the PCs and router because all the software to drive them is built into Windows.

My router doesn't have a USB port, but I guess it's useful for a PC without an ethernet card, or for other peripherals.

~~Tides~~
20-Jan-05, 09:12
Ta for your help. :)

fred
20-Jan-05, 10:46
Yup, I had forgotten that you needed Win98 SE (Second edition) for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

If it's plain 98 I wouldn't bother trying, it would be possible to get a web browser to work by running a proxy on the main computer but that's about it.
Note that Fred is referring to the Internet Sharing solution here. Connecting a plain Win98 PC with a router should be ok. I have never done it, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible -- please correct me if I am wrong!

I've never tried it with a router but can't thiink there would be any problems.

I once tried connecting two PCs networked with ethernet cable to a laptop with
wireless under 98 and gave up eventually. Had some success with a freeware
version of pcanywhere, can't remember what it was called offhand, but it was buggy
and slow with poor graphics.