PDA

View Full Version : Latest Little girls/boys must have?

sapphire
12-Nov-06, 12:57
I saw an advert on TV last night for what must be the most pointless gift ever......an electronic horse which does everything bar eat hay and leave 'pressies' on your carpets.The cost of this latest must have......a mere £300!..I wonder how many kids are adding that to their Santas' list ?:(

Whatever happened to the good old fashioned rocking or hobby horse?
Granted you need an imagination to play with them!;)

connieb19
12-Nov-06, 13:04
I used to use my leather schoolbag on the back of the couch and pretend it was a horse. By the time I was 14, I was outgrowing the couch so my parents bought me a real one.
Moat kids nowadays don't use their imagination, no wonder they get bored within 5 minutes.

_Ju_
12-Nov-06, 13:09
I saw an advert on TV last night for what must be the most pointless gift ever......an electronic horse which does everything bar eat hay and leave 'pressies' on your carpets.The cost of this latest must have......a mere £300!..I wonder how many kids are adding that to their Santas' list ?:(

LOL, have you seen howmuch a nice rocking horse costs nowadays????

sapphire
12-Nov-06, 13:15
Hi Ju
I know that a really impressive wooden rocking horse can and does cost a fortune.
My daughters shared a rather nice one (not wooden I admit).....granted it wasn't yesterday!.....which I think I paid about £25 for, and had great fun on it............even though they had to make the 'horsey noises' themselves! lol:lol:

Piglet
12-Nov-06, 14:15
My daughter is in to horses & she seen this & went on the net to check the price - once she did this she very maturely said well i won't be getting that from Santa - she is 9 - thankfully she has realised the value of things. Phew ive done something right lol :lol:

bobsgirl
12-Nov-06, 23:11
My daughter is in to horses & she seen this & went on the net to check the price - once she did this she very maturely said well i won't be getting that from Santa - she is 9 - thankfully she has realised the value of things. Phew ive done something right lol :lol:

I think that is the problem piglet, most kids dont know the value of things! Some parents just give them exactly what they want!
I could sometimes be classed as one of those parents but I still give limits! I certainly wont be buying that horse!! LOL!!

angela5
13-Nov-06, 12:44
I bought my daughter a lovely rocking horse it was a bit expensive but that's what she wanted, until she got it. It's lying gathering dust now.:roll:

candyfloss
13-Nov-06, 12:50

I saw that advert too, i bet my youngest one would love it, but she has'nt got a hope at £300, eek!

grumpyhippo
13-Nov-06, 16:34
I suggest that the only 'must have for children' is loving, caring parents (preferably two parents). Everything else is optional and the latest must have gimmick is most often the last thing children realy need.

golach
13-Nov-06, 16:42
I suggest that the only 'must have for children' is loving, caring parents (preferably two parents). Everything else is optional and the latest must have gimmick is most often the last thing children realy need.

If only GH, I wish

badger
13-Nov-06, 17:48
I feel really sorry, and angry, for everyone who lost money with Farepak but one of the saddest things about it was the mothers interviewed on tv who said Christmas would be ruined because they didn't have hundreds of pounds to spend on their children. One even had quite a young baby who couldn't have known whether it was Christmas or Easter but apparently it's first Christmas would now be spoiled :eek: Some of my children's and grandchildren's favourite toys have been big cardboard boxes with holes cut for windows and doors, or laundry baskets that make boats.

Wouldn't it be nice if parents, even locally, got together and said "enough" ? Or am I really getting old :~(

Bobinovich
13-Nov-06, 17:57
Two of the most important activites I took part in whengrowing up were swimming and cycling and these I really want our kids to enjoy as they are greath for health and fun.

The first costs very little (especially with a Council HighLife card) while the latter requires substantially more (a larger bike every 2 - 3 years, depending on growth, lights, helmet, etc.).

Having just completed our Christmas shopping (for the kids at least) I am quite happy to say that, other than bikes, we have only spent about £150 on each child. Compared to many on this recent thread (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=16766) I'm quite relieved - I don't have to cut up Mrs Bob's credit card this year LOL!.

sapphire
13-Nov-06, 18:10
Some of my children's and grandchildren's favourite toys have been big cardboard boxes with holes cut for windows and doors, or laundry baskets that make boats.

Wouldn't it be nice if parents, even locally, got together and said "enough" ? Or am I really getting old :~([/quote]

I'm going to agree with you 100%....I remember having lots of fun using my mums old clothes horse and blankets,and the boxes..oh and the laundry basket!
In those days the only time we got 'new' things was at Christmas and our birthdays (unless we needed shoes or other necessities ).....of course there wasn't the money to spare back then!
And yes I hope the time is coming when enough is enough!