PDA

View Full Version : Have you signed up

dozy
12-Nov-06, 11:25
Is there any Orgers that have signed up to be customers of the NEW WICK GASWORKS which is being built under the guise of a CHP project....and can anyone in WICK remember the OLD GASWORKS, were it was sited and when it closed ????

Venture
12-Nov-06, 11:35
The old gasworks was where the swimming pool is and I thank it was demolished in the early seventies.

dozy
12-Nov-06, 13:09
Thanks for that .Is there anyone that knows what Wick Heat and Power Company are charging per week or month .Please......

Funny that no one of the 250 that have signed up to the project have got in touch .I just want to know if the Council are telling the truth nor not ....

I feel sorry for the folk that bought their houses in the Pulteney area ,after the Gasworks sorry CHP gets up and running....

Venture
12-Nov-06, 13:13
I know that its supposed to work out at £8 per week.

Niall Fernie
12-Nov-06, 13:16
How much would you have charged for your system dozy?

ice box
12-Nov-06, 14:33
Thanks for that .Is there anyone that knows what Wick Heat and Power Company are charging per week or month .Please......

Funny that no one of the 250 that have signed up to the project have got in touch .I just want to know if the Council are telling the truth nor not ....

I feel sorry for the folk that bought their houses in the Pulteney area ,after the Gasworks sorry CHP gets up and running....We haven't signed up for the heating scheme as we own our house but we allowed them to put the pipe work through our loft so they can get to our neighbors house. We did get the free connection so if we do decide in the future to have it installed we can just tap in. It will cost us about £2500 to in stall

dozy
12-Nov-06, 16:20
ICE BOX .I find it strange that the system runs through any lofts and that they would charge £2500 for you to be connected ,as it would take 10-12 years just for you to recoup that cost .Can you tell me what you were to be getting for the £2,500
Mr Fernie: The heat system for a standard 3 bed house would have been about the same £7.50-8.50 with pensioners at £4.00. But the electricity generated would have given customers a 16% reduction on there bills if they were to take the electricity as well .As for installation costs mentioned by Icebox they would not be taken upfront, they are spread over a fixed term with No interest charged .
CHP must be for the benefit of the Community and the project must make a small profit so it can be selfsustaining .If the pipework had been installed by a trunked pavement system ,that its self would have generated revenue from any company that would want to install phonelines or whatever .This system allows easy connection and servicing and will also cater for expansion of the network at a later date when new customers come on stream....
NEXT QUESTION ???

Macwull
12-Nov-06, 20:07
Dozy why do you feel sorry for the people who have bought their houses in the pultney area? I own a house in that area, i've also got the pipes at the side of my house for a possible future connection! and i can only see it as a benefit. I know many people who pay at least £1000 pound a year on oil and theres not much chance of the price coming down, at £520 a year i reckon its a bargain!? (Even if it does go up!)

I have electric heating and i reckon that the new CHAP heating is the best choice! I also know someone who was quoted £4500 to install oil so really its only a fraction of the price!

scrapydoo
12-Nov-06, 20:18

I feel sorry for the folk that bought their houses in the Pulteney area ,after the Gasworks sorry CHP gets up and running....
why do you feel sorry for them???? :confused council telling the truth about what?:eek:

ice box
12-Nov-06, 20:24
[quote=dozy;159811]ICE BOX .I find it strange that the system runs through any lofts and that they would charge £2500 for you to be connected ,as it would take 10-12 years just for you to recoup that cost .Can you tell me what you were to be getting for the £2,500

quote]Well first of all you get a brand new central heating system put in through out the house.( ie new boiler pipes radiator) and you have constant hot water 24/7 . Never need to put a fire on again not bad for £2500.My only problem is i don't have that kind of money lying around . I was never told about the cost being spread over a fixed term they gave me the impression that it had to be paid in full . I am interested in finding about this .But there doesn't seem to be any were to find out(ie head office or something .

dozy
12-Nov-06, 22:06
Maxwull : the problem arises when the CHP system uses GASIFICATION to produce electricity.GASIFICATION is basically the same technology that was used in the old GASWORKS .
Under new regulations a survey for a prospective new buyer of your house would have to include it. (failure to disclose)
The GASIFICATION process breaks down the wood into component parts ,thats CHEMICALS .
Thats CHEMICALS in capitals because the chemicals are nasty ones ,they are NOT the type of chemicals that you like someone producing or storing near you .The technology needed to monitor the EMMISSION is very expensive ,its NOT ONLY the AIR and SOIL but the FLUE GASES as well for air quaility.
PLEASE ..What you must remember is the CHP is a FACTORY thats all, it will take in a raw material and process it into something totally different.
In this case heat and power,and in that process will produce WASTE ...
So people buying property in THE PULTENEY area will take that onboard and if its OK with them thats fine .The problem is that many people will look at the WASTE generated first (METHANE,COMPLEX HYDROCARBONS,HYDROGEN AND CARBON MONOXIDE)and also the long term effects that WASTE could have on their children ..Its a choice .....

As i said before there are benefits from a Community Heat Scheme .
The TROUBLE starts when the CHP is not solely for the benefit of that community .A system that uses over 60% of the capital just to produce electricity for the grid has already BEEN handcuffed ..The CHP system as it stands in Pulteney is a POWER STATION to make electricity FIRST and the heat SECOND .The cheap HEAT and HOT WATER are just the carrot dangled to allow them to build it ...

dozy
13-Nov-06, 13:51
Marwull : I see from your thread that someone you know was quoted £4500 for an oil based system .
If the Council in its wisdom have gone for the timber based system i had invisaged, your friend could have installed a stand alone wood fired system that would take no work from the householder to operate.All he would have to do is programmed in the heat and timer setting and the rest is done for him .
The system is woodfueled and uses a compressed timber nugget or pellet that is fed from a fuel cartridge fitted to an outside wall .The enclosed fire can be the centerpoint of the livingroom and will provide all the heat and hot water needed.The fire is fed and cleaned by an auger system ,so no cleaning or dust .The cartridge that holds the woodfuel is appox 1 1/2 times the size of a wheelie bin ,but it also doubles up as an waste collecter for all your waste paper and cardboard This waste is when processed and mixed with the wood to make more fuel .GOOD or what ???This system being wood based is eligable for grant assistance ,the fuel itself would cost about £500 per year or less .
There are 3 upfront benefits from the system 1 its uses local timber , 2 it reduces woodbased waste that would be shipped hundreds of miles and 3 it reduces CO2
The PRICE depends on what system you already have .If you have wet central heating then its just the fire with backboiler and the auger that would be fitted .That would cost about £2000 ..less the grants .Remember there is no storage tank with gas or oil to pay for .You only pay for the nuggets (woodfuel)you use.
If you own your home the installation costs for the wet system that will be connected to the Community Heat Scheme should be only the cost of the materials used .The labour should be paid by the installer ,because without customers there is NO scheme .
If the house is rented the landlord should pay ,with NO rise in the rent as the installation is an enhancement of the property value....

dozy
14-Nov-06, 10:19
I have been wondering how they are going to fuel this CHP .Where is the wood and how will it be transported .The size of the FACTORY would indicate that there would be over 20 to 30 lorry loads a week .Its 8 to 12 movements a DAY over the five day working week .Thats alot of road miles and one hell of a lot of CO2.
But all that heavy trucks running around are a hazard to children and the elderly...
QUESTION: how many tons of wood will it take to run the CHP ????? who will be the closet ( the clue is in the trucks needed)...have a guess..

scrapydoo
14-Nov-06, 10:56
Dozy I'm curious as to why you are so interested in CHP?

dozy
14-Nov-06, 11:47
Good question .
Well I was the MD of the Company that put the CHP to the Council in OVER 7 YEARS AGO and was told that they were not NOW or in the FUTURE be interested in any CHP or Community Heat Scheme .The project put forward allowed for the council to heat all the schools ,swimming pools and other heavy heat users from local timber ....
CAN YOU ANSWER THE QUESTION:
Are you going to have a guess as now much wood will be approximately be needed every week ,month or year .?????

You are probably thinking its just sour grapes on my part .Well it is and its not .If the council wanted to go the way of CHP or Community Heat ,thats fine .Its the way that they treat Local businesses .Its the contempt that they have for locals ,they seem to think that you or me don't have the brains to do anything .YES I did think that they would have at least asked if we were interested in tendering for the work ....
Councillors are quick enough to ask for your vote but after they get it ,you can sod off ....But when things dont go right they are quick to ask for help to get them out off the hole they have dug ...(local company stood in to help with the pipework)
Lets hope at when the council plan there next GASWORKS FACTORY that the locals affected will ask the right question and hold the Councillor backing the scheme to book ......
We get the Council .we vote for ....

scrapydoo
14-Nov-06, 12:25
So why did the council change there mind ? not sure how much wood will be needed 40 lorry loads a week .

dozy
14-Nov-06, 13:03
If the Plant is producing electricity it would need approx 30,000 tonnes a year or 600 tonnes a week or 120 tonnes a day (that council figures)
Thats a lot of trees .How many trees are in 30,000 tonnes ,well non-commercial timber would equate to between 6 -10 trees per tonnes .So get the calculator out and count the zero's........

dozy
15-Nov-06, 13:40
Come on all you Wick Heat and Power Project boardmembers,were are you .I need some answers to the figures quoted ??????
If you are planning a total community customer base of 250 at a weekly income of £8.00 per customer the total is £2000.00 ....YES ..NO ?
QUESTIONS:
If the price for chipped timber is say £20.00 per tonne ..(its really closer to £50.00)
1)
What is the calorific value per tonne and therefore the KWHs of the timber
2)
What is the KWHs needed to heat the homes on the system.
3)
Where is the quoted 600 tonnes of wood per week coming from .(its raw material price and transport costs )

I am asking you these questions and hope to get an answer before i forward them to the Scottish Parliament to see if they can ...
I would think that all these question would get a quick reply as they should be in the Project Planning and Management Proposal for Funding ....