PDA

View Full Version : 60p Stamp? Tories getting ready for RM sell off?

Corrie 3
27-Mar-12, 18:35
I reckon the Tories have allowed the price of a first class stamp to rise to 60p so that any future buyers for the Royal Mail will see it as lucrative!.
This is another of our great Institutions being sold off cheaply and then allowed to go down the pan the same as the trains, our fuel suppliers and the buses etc.
We should be worried up here because I can see the day when we don't get any post at all because it costs too much, much the same as parcel deliveries now!
My.... those Tories are hitting us hard, what next, a tax on the fresh air that comes from the Moray Firth?

C3.................[disgust][disgust]

weezer 316
27-Mar-12, 19:12
Your a moron. Your spin it so much you get in a muddle.....again. To Quote the story on the BBC:

"Royal Mail's chief executive, Moya Greene, told the BBC that the one-price-whatever-the distance universal service was under threat because the organisation's financial situation had been "very fragile" for some time.

"In the core business in the past four years we have lost over a billion pounds," she said.

"No one likes to ask their customers to pay more, I certainly wouldn't do it, especially in these economic times, if it were not absolutely essential."
But she said there was "not an affordability issue" as stamps cost less than a chocolate bar."

Your thoughts please on said Billion pound hole? And what should the govt have done?

Corrie 3
27-Mar-12, 19:34
Lost a Billion pounds Weezer? That is down to bad management and too many "hangers on" By putting the price up to 60p they will just lose custom, not gain it!!!
I will now start sending out E-cards and everyone I cant contact through the Internet will have to go without!! So the RM have lost my custom. I wonder how many more they will lose?
It's all a scam so that private buyers will be able to make a ready profit as soon as they buy!!
Btw, if I am a Moron then you are an idiot that gets sucked in to the Tory way of thinking!

C3.............[disgust][disgust]

weezer 316
27-Mar-12, 20:13
Lost a Billion pounds Weezer? That is down to bad management and too many "hangers on" By putting the price up to 60p they will just lose custom, not gain it!!!
I will now start sending out E-cards and everyone I cant contact through the Internet will have to go without!! So the RM have lost my custom. I wonder how many more they will lose?
It's all a scam so that private buyers will be able to make a ready profit as soon as they buy!!
Btw, if I am a Moron then you are an idiot that gets sucked in to the Tory way of thinking!

C3.............[disgust][disgust]

ok...so losing custom is a good way of making it appealing to private companies......

Goddam corrie, thats really basic stuff there!

shazzap
27-Mar-12, 20:36
ok...so losing custom is a good way of making it appealing to private companies......

Goddam corrie, thats really basic stuff there!

They have made it more appealing, to potential buyers. By being able to put up prices. So yes, i would say privatisation, is on the way.

pat
27-Mar-12, 20:45
How many of you post a letter now?

Very few people actually write a letter or drop a note, most people pick up the phone or drop an email or are on one of the sites passing on everything they are doing - other than write a letter.
If there are less letters being sent, they still have to employ people to deliver in that area so the costs are the same however many letters are sent or not sent.

I have saved all stamps received for many years, donate them for recycling by charities, the amount of stamps received each year has drastically reduced mainly I think to emails being sent and telephone use.
If Royal Mail is going to be saved it has to be used or it will be no longer - hence the increase in prices.

Alrock
27-Mar-12, 20:51
How many of you post a letter now?

Some (lucky) unemployed folk sign on by post...
Some jobs have to be applied for by post, Job Centre would never buy the excuse... "Sorry, can't afford the postage"....
So once again it's the poorest in society who get hit the hardest.

Corrie 3
27-Mar-12, 21:04
Some (lucky) unemployed folk sign on by post...
Some jobs have to be applied for by post, Job Centre would never buy the excuse... "Sorry, can't afford the postage"....
So once again it's the poorest in society who get hit the hardest.
Well put Alrock, I have been sending in forms to the Taxman just lately, no reply envelope, no, I have to find my own envelope and stamp just for them to take even more money from me!!
They can get stuffed in future, no reply paid envelope, no reply!!!

C3................[disgust][disgust]

weezer 316
27-Mar-12, 21:38
I depair.

Get a grip of yourselves. You complain abou public service cuts. You complain about taxes. You then have the stupidity to complain about stamps, that will get you a letter from here to lands end for 60p in 1 day. 60p. 60 flipping ing pence. It costs about that in petrol in a 1 litre to go from thurso to castletown and back and deliver it yourself and still you moan........

No wonder this country is broke. You lot simply refuse to pay your way, or anything like it. Might as well start blaming the bankers too for the raise.

shazzap
27-Mar-12, 21:48
I depair.

Get a grip of yourselves. You complain abou public service cuts. You complain about taxes. You then have the stupidity to complain about stamps, that will get you a letter from here to lands end for 60p in 1 day. 60p. 60 flipping ing pence. It costs about that in petrol in a 1 litre to go from thurso to castletown and back and deliver it yourself and still you moan........

No wonder this country is broke. You lot simply refuse to pay your way, or anything like it. Might as well start blaming the bankers too for the raise.

You lot???

Corrie 3
27-Mar-12, 21:54
I depair.

You carry on Weezer, after you have paid all that the Tories want/or make you pay I can assure you that that you wont be able to eat or keep warm by the end of the year!!!
You keep paying these increases Lad, I wont!!

C3..................[disgust]

golach
27-Mar-12, 22:07
You carry on Weezer, after you have paid all that the Tories want/or make you pay I can assure you that that you wont be able to eat or keep warm by the end of the year!!!
You keep paying these increases Lad, I wont!!C3....
I wonder if there will be a Royal Mail, if you Eck gets his way. Even if he does, I do not think he will reduce the price of a First Class stamp [disgust]

Alrock
27-Mar-12, 22:09
I wonder if there will be a Royal Mail, if you Eck gets his way. Even if he does, I do not think he will reduce the price of a First Class stamp [disgust]

Hopefully he will drop the antiquated "Royal" tag & just call it "Scottish Mail"

golach
27-Mar-12, 22:11
Hopefully he will drop the antiquated "Royal" tag & just call it "Scottish Mail"

Would that be the Scottish Sunday Mail, or the Scottish Mail on Sunday? [lol]

weezer 316
27-Mar-12, 22:17
Of course dropping the royal part will increase the service available.....

Corrie, its a service provided for you and probably less than 10% of the market rate, and possibly less than 1% depending on where you send to. Quite what a private comapny would charge you for that letter to Lands end i dont know.....but you can bet it will be a helluva lot mroe than 60p.

And can you explain, please, quite how driving custom away is a sales tactic please? I missed that part. In defence of my point I give you friends re-uinted.....

Alrock
27-Mar-12, 22:37
Would that be the Scottish Sunday Mail, or the Scottish Mail on Sunday? [lol]

Good point, never thought of that... lol

How about "Scottish National Post"?

golach
27-Mar-12, 22:40
Good point, never thought of that... lol

How about "Scottish National Post"?
How about Last past the post?

shazzap
27-Mar-12, 22:57
I don't see the point of having second class stamps. We do not have 2 deliveries a day now, like in the past. Infact, you are luky to get mail next day now even with first class.

David Banks
27-Mar-12, 23:27

I'm sure you are correct on all points.

Regular mail here in Canada costs 61 cents, much of it by air, and that takes your mail from Tuktoyaktuk to Victoria or Dildo, Newfoundland - so lack of proper management must have something to do with your losses.

We are waiting for our new federal Tory majority government's first budget on Thursday. The "average Joe, or Josephine" will no doubt get screwed royally. At least you have the LibDems to maybe keep some sanity in Westminster - or are they just too giddy having a little power?

squidge
28-Mar-12, 07:21
60 pence for a first class stamp is not going to impact on me very much. Christmas is the last time I sent anything by post. However, as is always the case, it will affect the old and the poor, those who dont have, or dont know how to use a computer and email in a disproportionate manner. The thing is though that the Royal Mail as a whole makes a profit. I think 67m last year. In a year where they spent quite an amount on modernisation. In a publicly owned company there is a case for the post to be maintained as a sort of "lost leader". Of course this cant happen in a company being prepared for privatisation. It would not be attractive to a buyer. It may very well end up "virgin mail" in the future. As for mail after independence well, i hope that the mail remains in public ownership and is for the benefit of everyone.

RecQuery
28-Mar-12, 07:54
How about Last past the post?

Better than First Past the Post with only 30%

Yon Chiel
28-Mar-12, 10:26
get you a letter from here to lands end for 60p in 1 day. 60p. 60 flipping ing pence.Absolutely. Even if it cost a £1 that's still amazing that you can stick a piece of paper in a box at the end of the road somewhere in rural Caithness and 24hours later have it hand delivered to a specific address at the opposite end of the country. Some people would complain abut anything, just for the sake of complaining - taking too much for granted.

shazzap
28-Mar-12, 10:52
Absolutely. Even if it cost a £1 that's still amazing that you can stick a piece of paper in a box at the end of the road somewhere in rural Caithness and 24hours later have it hand delivered to a specific address at the opposite end of the country. Some people would complain abut anything, just for the sake of complaining - taking too much for granted.

But that does not happen now. You are lucky, if you receive first class post, 3 days later. The issue most are trying to get accross, is privatisation.

golach
28-Mar-12, 11:05
But that does not happen now. You are lucky, if you receive first class post, 3 days later. The issue most are trying to get accross, is privatisation.
I cannot agree with you shazzap, I have posted, not often, but a small packet 1st class to Castletown posted at 3pm in Edinburgh it arrived the next day, a similar packet to Aberdeen reached the address within 24 hours, maybe as an owld postie I get preferential treatment, or maybe I address the packets correctly. [lol]

I left the Post Office in 1972 privatisation was being mentioned then, its not happened yet

RecQuery
28-Mar-12, 11:05
Absolutely. Even if it cost a £1 that's still amazing that you can stick a piece of paper in a box at the end of the road somewhere in rural Caithness and 24hours later have it hand delivered to a specific address at the opposite end of the country. Some people would complain abut anything, just for the sake of complaining - taking too much for granted.

I find using the postal system for letters somewhat archaic and anachronistic anyway. With e-mail you can go around the word in anywhere to 24ms to 24 seconds. More businesses and government offices need to modernise already. I still use it for parcels at least until we can get a decent 3D printer or matter replicator. I'd even settle for some grey goo.

shazzap
28-Mar-12, 11:13
I cannot agree with you shazzap, I have posted, not often, but a small packet 1st class to Castletown posted at 3pm in Edinburgh it arrived the next day, a similar packet to Aberdeen reached the address within 24 hours, maybe as an owld postie I get preferential treatment, or maybe I address the packets correctly. [lol]

I left the Post Office in 1972 privatisation was being mentioned then, its not happened yet

That may be the case in Scotland golach. But i can't remember the last time i received a letter, the day after posting

golach
28-Mar-12, 11:20
That may be the case in Scotland golach. But i can't remember the last time i received a letter, the day after posting

Shush Shazzap, corrie 3 will claim the good postal service I have experienced up here is all down to Oor Eck [lol]

shazzap
28-Mar-12, 11:29
Shush Shazzap, corrie 3 will claim the good postal service I have experienced up here is all down to Oor Eck [lol]

Ha ha......:)

Corrie 3
28-Mar-12, 13:25
Of course it is Golach, who do you think it was? Not Cameron and the ConDems surely!!!!

C3..................;);)

golach
28-Mar-12, 14:45
Of course it is Golach, who do you think it was? Not Cameron and the ConDems surely!!!!

C3..................;);)
Eck has nothing to do with the Postal system here, the good service given is by the Postal staff, not fat politicians

weezer 316
28-Mar-12, 22:17
Do eck some god to get out and get some exercise being a postie! It would kill two birds with one stone, namely stop the NHS picking up the bill when his heart paks in cause hes fat and lazy, and actually means he will do something positive for this country!

Infact he would probably mess the second bit up and sit atn the sorting office and blame westminster for the rubbish weather

essex boy
28-Mar-12, 22:19
I'm with weezer on this one! 60p to get a letter delivered to the address of your choice anywhere in the country is a bargain.
I depair.

squidge
28-Mar-12, 23:24
As a fat lady i really object to the FAT ist comments on this thread:D I think you are all very mean!!!! This lady (whoever she is ) would have had something to say about it I am sure lol. (about 20 minutes in)
;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bwmw0/Womans_Hour_Do_we_overprotect_our_children/