PDA

View Full Version : Benefits - are they too easy to get

Tristan
11-Nov-06, 23:48
I posted this in another threat but as I said there "Now that is another thread....why is she entitled to benefits? is it too easy to get them? does it put an unfair burden on those who do work? No easy answers but something to think about."
any thoughts?

golach
11-Nov-06, 23:53
I posted this in another threat but as I said there "Now that is another thread....why is she entitled to benefits? is it too easy to get them? does it put an unfair burden on those who do work? No easy answers but something to think about."
any thoughts?
Why is who entitled to benefits?

Piglet
11-Nov-06, 23:57
Why is who entitled to benefits?

Your asking a big question there arnt you Golach. :D

connieb19
11-Nov-06, 23:57
Benefits are definitely too easy to get, and too many of them. People on benefits should have the bare necessitys, not the luxuries of cars, sky TV, computers, mobile phones and all the rest. Where's the incentive to get a job when everything is given to them so easilly. [evil]

ice box
12-Nov-06, 01:43
I know of a person who is claiming benefit and housing benefit and doesn't even live in the house. They live with there partner in his house who is probably claiming too . :mad:

Tristan
12-Nov-06, 01:59
Is there a reason why so many threads are deleted. I read some of them earlier and there was nothing overtly offensive so I can't see why they were deleted. I know I had problems with my internet connection about 6 hours ago. Is the org having the same technical problem that so many threads are going missing?

ice box
12-Nov-06, 02:06
Is there a reason why so many threads are deleted. I read some of them earlier and there was nothing overtly offensive so I can't see why they were deleted. I know I had problems with my internet connection about 6 hours ago. Is the org having the same technical problem that so many threads are going missing?No i just think the mods are out for blood i think there running a CC Cleanner [lol]

Colin Manson
12-Nov-06, 02:07
Just the usual, Users breaking the rules.

Anyway the T&Cs state

You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

Tristan
12-Nov-06, 02:12

Read most of those deleted posts and there was nothing wrong with most of them.

[QUOTE=Colin Manson;159640]Anyway the T&Cs state You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.[/QUOTE

Yes you are right...as 'they see fit'

The nice thing about the two more recent posts that have had a lot of threads deleted is that they fit in nicely with the rules:

General Content Guidelines
As this is a community forum and is read by visitors of all ages, genders, religions, nationalities etc, please be aware of this when you post. Although we are not going to set a rule for what you choose to discuss on the forums, we would prefer that the topics are related to Caithness in some way, or national issues that affect everyone.

wilma
12-Nov-06, 02:14

Anyway the T&Cs state
what rules have been broken?

ice box
12-Nov-06, 02:19

Anyway the T&Cs stateIs there anything on this forum that we are allowed to discuss that doesn't offend people ? To me they were only stating there opinion.

Colin Manson
12-Nov-06, 02:20
None of the posts have been deleted, just moved.

I have read the posts and I'm appalled at the lack of sensitivity being shown by some Users. Nothing wrong in you opinion but I've managed to get 3 PMs and 3 reports and about a half a dozen post from the Moderators about these posts that you think are fine.

And yes it did always say as they see fit. Nothing new there.

ice box
12-Nov-06, 02:23
[quote=Colin Manson;159646]None of the posts have been deleted, just moved.

quote]Where ?

changilass
12-Nov-06, 02:26
They have been moved to the moderators area. Having read them I can understand why. I just wonder how much further can some people sink, what I have read tonight is disgusting on many levels and a lot of people should be very ashamed of themselves.[disgust]

Tristan
12-Nov-06, 02:28
None of the posts have been deleted, just moved.

I have read the posts and I'm appalled at the lack of sensitivity being shown by some Users. Nothing wrong in you opinion but I've managed to get 3 PMs and 3 reports and about a half a dozen post from the Moderators about these posts that you think are fine.

And yes it did always say as they see fit. Nothing new there.

sent you a pm

ice box
12-Nov-06, 02:29
They have been moved to the moderators area. Having read them I can understand why. I just wonder how much further can some people sink, what I have read tonight is disgusting on many levels and a lot of people should be very ashamed of themselves.[disgust]The only people that should be ashamed is them committing the fraud .:mad:

Colin Manson
12-Nov-06, 02:31
Just as an aside, I'm getting fed up with all the sock puppet accounts that are being used.

Users that don't come forward about the multiple accounts that they are using will suddenly find themselves having all their accounts merged into 1 account.

Tristan
12-Nov-06, 02:34
They have been moved to the moderators area. Having read them I can understand why. I just wonder how much further can some people sink, what I have read tonight is disgusting on many levels and a lot of people should be very ashamed of themselves.[disgust]

sent you a pm

JAWS
12-Nov-06, 02:42
"Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather the multitudinous seas incarnadine, making the green one red."

Ann
12-Nov-06, 02:55
Not sure what is going on with the threads but I have just read the title of this one and my only question is; have any of the complainers ever applied for benefits?

Dreadnought
12-Nov-06, 03:00
So expressing the opinion that benefits should be a safety net and not a hammock is offensive? Saying that the benefits culture only makes the problem worse is offensive?

Oh well, so much for intelligent discussion on the org. I suppose we should all just talk about lost cats and what biro is best. [disgust]

Dreadnought
12-Nov-06, 03:05
Not sure what is going on with the threads but I have just read the title of this one and my only question is; have any of the complainers ever applied for benefits?

Yes. I was on Incapacity Benefit for two and a half years. I know first hand how easy it is to get used to living on benefits and to start making all the excuses in the world why not to get a job. In the end I looked in the mirror, was totally ashamed of myself for allowing myself to think that way. So I went looking for a job that I could do, instead of talking about what I couldn't do. Now I am in full time work, doing a job I like, and earning a wage. I now contribute to society instead of drain from it.

connieb19
12-Nov-06, 03:22
what biro is best. [disgust]
Green, Red or Blue, would probably be the least offensive.....hmm, or maybe not. :confused

JAWS
12-Nov-06, 05:56
Can somebody lend me a cat and a biro.

Venture
12-Nov-06, 12:40
I didnt see the original thread but I can imagine it was concerning people who are claiming benefits who others think they shouldnt have. Fair enough there are occasions when you have this but I think its wrong to judge all of them the same. There are people on benefits who have mental health problems that are not visible who would dearly love to be able to work but cant. Sometimes its not easy to claim for certain benefits. Take DLA for instance. I know of many people who have been refused this benefit for help with their care etc. and one of them had terminal cancer. He had to keep reapplying until finally they decided he was entitled to it. Applying isnt easy you have books of forms to fill in with stupid questions and have to wait months rather than weeks for a decision.

Ann
12-Nov-06, 13:36
Venture, what a sensible and well balanced post. There are always two (or more) sides to a story and I'm glad to see someone being so fair.

sharon
12-Nov-06, 16:30
I know of a person who is claiming benefit and housing benefit and doesn't even live in the house. They live with there partner in his house who is probably claiming too . :mad:

they should be stoped not only its benefit fraud, but they have a house there nobody using, thats a disgrace as they are lots of people on the housing waiting list.....[disgust]

golach
12-Nov-06, 16:45
We all know this scenario allegedly, but did you do anything about it? Then IMO you are nearly as bad as the Fraudster, I think it is called aiding and abetting.
Here is a good link
http://www.direct.gov.uk/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BenefitFraud/fs/en?cids=Google_PPC&cre=Money&gclid=CKbPxOjqwYgCFQXAXgodpTxXAg

mums angels
12-Nov-06, 18:10
they should be stoped not only its benefit fraud, but they have a house there nobody using, thats a disgrace as they are lots of people on the housing waiting list.....[disgust]

i know someone doing exactly the same thing. and someone else that claims she is living alone and claims every benfit going and her man actually lives with her and the two children (whats worse is he works offshoe so gets great pay) [evil]

mums angels
12-Nov-06, 18:13
We all know this scenario allegedly, but did you do anything about it? Then IMO you are nearly as bad as the Fraudster, I think it is called aiding and abetting.
Here is a good link
http://www.direct.gov.uk/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BenefitFraud/fs/en?cids=Google_PPC&cre=Money&gclid=CKbPxOjqwYgCFQXAXgodpTxXAg

problem is that even if you report it it can take a 6 months to a year before they can do anything about it and trying to prove it is very difficult if its a case of someone living there when they say they don't especially if they have ther mail going else where

connieb19
12-Nov-06, 18:13
i know someone doing exactly the same thing. and someone else that claims she is living alone and claims every benfit going and her man actually lives with her and the two children (whats worse is he works offshoe so gets great pay) [evil]
Some peoples greed is beyond belief, lets hope it catches up on them sometime. [disgust]

ice box
12-Nov-06, 18:15
Here is a good link
i think that is called defamation of caharacter .

ice box
12-Nov-06, 18:17
i know someone doing exactly the same thing. and someone else that claims she is living alone and claims every benfit going and her man actually lives with her and the two children (whats worse is he works offshoe so gets great pay) [evil]you better watch you don't get accused of aiding and abetting by a certain mod .:mad:

mums angels
12-Nov-06, 18:23
you better watch you don't get accused of aiding and abetting by a certain mod .:mad:

Unfortunatley i would like nothing better to report them but it would cause a very big problem within the extended famliy unit if i did

ice box
12-Nov-06, 18:38
Unfortunatley i would like nothing better to report them but it would cause a very big problem within the extended famliy unit if i didIt would also cause me a big problem as i would probably get my property damaged as revenge if they every found out .

mums angels
12-Nov-06, 18:46
It would also cause me a big problem as i would probably get my property damaged as revenge if they every found out .

We could pass on the info to golach and they can do it for us ...lol

golach
12-Nov-06, 20:36
It would also cause me a big problem as i would probably get my property damaged as revenge if they every found out .
Sorry Ice box, I say put up or shut up, you are very quick at complaining about Benefit Fraudsters and how easy it is, but you will not do anything about it, it is confidential, shop them!!! Or if not shut up.
I have done it, with bootleggers and smugglers, and will continue to do so.

mums angels
12-Nov-06, 20:58
Sorry Ice box, I say put up or shut up, you are very quick at complaining about Benefit Fraudsters and how easy it is, but you will not do anything about it, it is confidential, shop them!!! Or if not shut up.

It is confidential but under circumstances such as mine it wouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure out who did it since its only family mambers that know its going on and i'm the only one that has ever voiced my disgust .....offshore and still claiming its a disgrace ( i have been told it has stopped but i'm not so sure)

ice box
12-Nov-06, 21:02
I have done it, with bootleggers and smugglers, and will continue to do so.That still doesn't give you the right to say that i'm aiding and abetting in someone Else's activities . You don't know anything about me i haven't said anyone name or address but you think by saying something like that about me is ok .Why don't you take a leaf out of your on book and shut up . I really hope the Adm will do something about this accusation that you think is right shout over a public forum .

ice box
12-Nov-06, 21:05
Or if not shut up.
Its easier done in the big cities but not in town like here every body knows your business especially when they live beside you and like i say i don't fancy getting my windows smashed every night .

JAWS
13-Nov-06, 03:05
There are phone numbers available where you can leave information quite anonymously.
Should anybody worry that their phone number might be traced there are public phone-boxes.

If anybody is concerned that certain people are committing fraud then there is a simple solution, pick up a phone or use the web.

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

0800 854 440 between 7.00am and 11.00pm, seven days a week.

Those who believe Benefit Fraud is being committed can easily make use of the above methods.
Those who do not make use of those methods, or any other methods that may be available, have no reason to complain. They have the solution in their own hands and if they say nothing about what they have done then nobody will be any the wiser.

Of course, making generalised, unsupported accusations is much more satisfying. That way you can let everybody know how concerned you are.

Ann
13-Nov-06, 09:26
Unfortunatley i would like nothing better to report them but it would cause a very big problem within the extended famliy unit if i did

But it is ok to let the whole world know via the world wide web and yes, you go under a nickname but do you know how secure that is?

danc1ngwitch
13-Nov-06, 15:29
Benefits are definitely too easy to get, and too many of them. People on benefits should have the bare necessitys, not the luxuries of cars, sky TV, computers, mobile phones and all the rest. Where's the incentive to get a job when everything is given to them so easilly. [evil]

I did not find it easy to get benefit, it took ages and then they give u diff interveiws etc... I felt it was very unfair as i worked hard all o ma life untill very recently then to get diff interveiws etc i thought i wasna goin to get nothin from them... And no i dont find it easy affording the simplist of things outta ma money, I had to turn ma sky off, and i do wea out lots of things like girly shampoo's and makeups that i used to be able to afford... ma car gets washed wea water and a little wot ever in it as i grudge payin out for car shampoo.. this is real.. now if i were to fraud the social i might get ma sky back on and get ma car shampooed lol ... [lol] By the way stop to ask people on the social wot they eat... I cannot afford good food and buy sky etc... I would rather have the good food for my children untill i get back on ma feet...xx

angela5
13-Nov-06, 15:41
I did not find it easy to get benefit, it took ages and then they give u diff interveiws etc... I felt it was very unfair as i worked hard all o ma life untill very recently then to get diff interveiws etc i thought i wasna goin to get nothin from them... And no i dont find it easy affording the simplist of things outta ma money, I had to turn ma sky off, and i do wea out lots of things like girly shampoo's and makeups that i used to be able to afford... ma car gets washed wea water and a little wot ever in it as i grudge payin out for car shampoo.. this is real.. now if i were to fraud the social i might get ma sky back on and get ma car shampooed lol ... [lol] By the way stop to ask people on the social wot they eat... I cannot afford good food and buy sky etc... I would rather have the good food for my children untill i get back on ma feet...xx

That's very true danc1ngwitch, it's the people who defraud the social that are having the luxuries, not the genuine ones.

connieb19
13-Nov-06, 19:35
I did not find it easy to get benefit, it took ages and then they give u diff interveiws etc... I felt it was very unfair as i worked hard all o ma life untill very recently then to get diff interveiws etc i thought i wasna goin to get nothin from them... And no i dont find it easy affording the simplist of things outta ma money, I had to turn ma sky off, and i do wea out lots of things like girly shampoo's and makeups that i used to be able to afford... ma car gets washed wea water and a little wot ever in it as i grudge payin out for car shampoo.. this is real.. now if i were to fraud the social i might get ma sky back on and get ma car shampooed lol ... [lol] By the way stop to ask people on the social wot they eat... I cannot afford good food and buy sky etc... I would rather have the good food for my children untill i get back on ma feet...xxIf you've worked hard all your life until recently, and it's only a temperary thing then fair enough. The people I am speaking about are the ones who have never worked and have no intention in ever working because they are so well off on benefits.
IMO cars, sky TV, smoking, mobile phones, computers ect are luxuries.
What do you eat? I'm sure it's cheaper to feed kids good food than junk anyway.

connieb19
13-Nov-06, 19:38
How does this low life manage to avoid the Child Support Agency? [disgust]

mums angels
13-Nov-06, 19:39

You're one of the sensible ones that put your children first by putting good food on the table instead of SKY tv e.t.c - Good luck on getting back on your feet, I've been there, its not nice ..

JAWS
13-Nov-06, 19:48
And still none of you are bothered enough to do anything about it?
Those who are so concerned have the answer in Post 41. Have any of you used it?

And I would bet every one of the "complainers" think that it's terrible when there is a murder and nobody comes forward with information.

The shameful attitude is the same, only the scale of the crime is different!

mums angels
13-Nov-06, 20:03
How does this low life manage to avoid the Child Support Agency? [disgust]

As far as i know - they can't track him down but in saying that when my bf and i broke up in 99 i claimed child support and he paid but then cancelled direct debit and gave them a call when we got back together - as far as we were concerned that was fine until 05 when he got a letter saying they had spent the last few years trying to track him down and he owed £££'s in back dated child support - we had to prove we'd been together the whole time and wern't claiming any benifits in the meantime (took 6 months and several letters). so answer is they get away with it because the child support agency has know idea what its doing

connieb19
13-Nov-06, 20:10
As far as i know - they can't track him down but in saying that when my bf and i broke up in 99 i claimed child support and he paid but then cancelled direct debit and gave them a call when we got back together - as far as we were concerned that was fine until 05 when he got a letter saying they had spent the last few years trying to track him down and he owed £££'s in back dated child support - we had to prove we'd been together the whole time and wern't claiming any benifits in the meantime (took 6 months and several letters). so answer is they get away with it because the child support agency has know idea what its doing
Jeepers, imagine how that poor kids are going to feel if they ever find out that their mum was supposed to be a single parent and a dad who couldnt be tracked down, they're going to feel as if they were just part of some scam. Some people have no shame. [disgust]

mums angels
13-Nov-06, 20:13
Jeepers, imagine how that poor kids are going to feel if they ever find out that their mum was supposed to be a single parent and a dad who couldnt be tracked down, they're going to feel as if they were just part of some scam. Some people have no shame. [disgust]

Exactly it is a shame - if they wanted to track him down its very easy - try her house...lol. I do wonder how hard child support try - my hubby hadn't changed jobs or anything - they really couldn't have tried very hard

mums angels
13-Nov-06, 20:18
But it is ok to let the whole world know via the world wide web and yes, you go under a nickname but do you know how secure that is?

oops never thought about that

If they figured it out (no computer anyway),i never mentioned any names so i could plead ignorance ,....sod em it would serve em right

squidge
14-Nov-06, 10:27
The Fraud investigators dont know anything until someone tells them something or they find it from another official source. If you suspect someone is committing benefit fraud then you have a duty to report it. Thats it. If someone is working and signing on then you need to give as much informtaiton as possible about where when and what they are doing. If they are living together and claiming as a single parent then they need to know where they are living and what each of them does - if he is working off shore report them when he is home and tell the fraud people that he is here for a fortnight and away for a fortnight or whatever it is. The more information the more likely they are to be caught.

I have also said before that things are not always what they seem. remember for example that not all benefits are means tested. So someone can be working and getting some benefits. Partners can work up to 21 hours i think and a couple can still get benefits. Someone might be entitled to incapacity benefit and have savings or other income. You dont know always and things are not what they seem all the time. Also remember that people can pay sky monthly and might have a dish but no package and might be given a car by family or be entitled to a car through motability.

connieb19
15-Nov-06, 21:55
http://news.aol.co.uk/dad-of-15-gets-wife-and/article/20061115105009990001

[disgust]

Emms
15-Nov-06, 22:14
I think that it is perfectly acceptable for people to receive benefits when they are down on their luck and going through hard times. The problems start when people who are able to work choose not to work - but I think this is the minority.
I left school with no qualifications (stupid I know) and then got pregnant (more stupid) and was then single parent (mega stupid) and had to rely on benefits - I can assure everyone out there it wasn't nice and it wasn't easy. As soon as my daughter started school I went back into education and got a Diploma. I am now the Managing Director of a company which provides residential care in Edinburgh, an orphanage and a day care project in India. I have worked full time for the past ten years and hope I never have to rely on benefits again. Apart from anything else - you need a degree to complete the application forms and I only have a Diploma!

JAWS
16-Nov-06, 09:30
Oh dear, Emms, that is terrible of you. Fancy debunking the myth that people who started life like you were simply intent on being "Benefit Scrounger's" all their lives living in the lap of luxury.

I've no doubt that a lot of people made some quite nasty comments about you when you were still young. If they did, I hope they remember how wrong they were and have the decency to hang their heads in shame! I doubt it though, they have probably just found somebody else to pick on, they usually do.

Funny how people who do the things that you have somehow get overlooked.
I admire what you did with your life and I'm sure there are a lot more like you who also put that amount of effort.

squidge
16-Nov-06, 10:28
The vast majority of people do not want to rely on benefits. The vast majority are like Emms and others who need support for a set period of time and then can manage their lives. The benefit system has changed to encourage that over the last few years and thats the right system. There will always be people who play the system but they are still in the minority because most people are like you and me and Ems and connie and wouldnt do that

henry20
16-Nov-06, 10:48
Totally agree Squidge. I hope that should I find myself unemployed that I would be entitled to benefits until I found employment again.

golach
16-Nov-06, 11:01
I think that it is perfectly acceptable for people to receive benefits when they are down on their luck and going through hard times. The problems start when people who are able to work choose not to work - but I think this is the minority.
I left school with no qualifications (stupid I know) and then got pregnant (more stupid) and was then single parent (mega stupid) and had to rely on benefits - I can assure everyone out there it wasn't nice and it wasn't easy. As soon as my daughter started school I went back into education and got a Diploma. I am now the Managing Director of a company which provides residential care in Edinburgh, an orphanage and a day care project in India. I have worked full time for the past ten years and hope I never have to rely on benefits again. Apart from anything else - you need a degree to complete the application forms and I only have a Diploma!
Emms what a pleasure to read your posting, full of positivity, which IMHO is a gratifying change to the whinging and general moaning we read here normally.
Welcome Emms, Ross & Cromertys loss is Caithness's gain :D

JAWS
16-Nov-06, 11:11
Well spotted Golach.
Emms, I hadn't noticed you had just joined us. Welcome aboard. Just join in the fray and enjoy yourself posting.