PDA

View Full Version : Scorcher! where is hottest in the county...

TAFKAL
26-Mar-12, 15:46
Watten - 28.2!!!! In March!!!!!!!!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553254_10150753289905781_745240780_11819145_620762 300_n.jpg

TAFKAL
26-Mar-12, 15:51
Make that 28.6!

Serenity
26-Mar-12, 16:01
I doubt it would quite that hot, lovely day though it is? Have you checked for measurement inaccuracies? For example one of our thermometer's sensors sits against a black pipe so often over reads (although I just checked it now and it says 7.2C so I think it is under reading now.. it is in the shade now hmm). The other the sensor is in the shed which is a total heat trap.

Where is tugmistress when you need her?

Serenity
26-Mar-12, 16:06
Just checked on http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/ - hottest place for their stations seems to be Halkirk at 19.9°C. Of course that only counts places they have stations and that are up to date.

TAFKAL
26-Mar-12, 16:12
Miserable sod!

Edit - calibrated against a lab grade thermometer (which the calibration certificate only ran out in november) that is in my fish tank and is accurate to one half of a degree. 22 in the shade... 28.6 in the sun. Happy?

Serenity
26-Mar-12, 16:45
I was going to apologise in advance for being a miserable sod! Fair enough, in a sun trap it could be that temperature, that's just not how you measure temp for an area imo. Either way it is a lovely day and everyone seems happy (as shown in your photo :cool:). Even a miserable sod like me has to smile today, right at the top end of my comfort range, perfect :D

Even Chance
26-Mar-12, 16:50
Temp measurements are ambient temps measured in a shade , not radiated heat from the sun heating up the plastic case and inevitably the thermistor inside! Sorry, but it just aint accurate. Dinna mean til be a dooner....

brandy
26-Mar-12, 17:19
no matter teh exact temp! its a beautiful day! *G* after tea i see a walk in our future!

south view 7
26-Mar-12, 20:55
max temp.at ulbster today 18c

chocolatechip
26-Mar-12, 21:08
it was 23 here at Lybster today

Dadie
26-Mar-12, 21:14
Well it was hot enough in Watten to have the slide hooked up to the hosepipe and a paddling pool out!(and I didnt cheat and put my kids in wetsuits either!)....must buy a new paddling pool as I think mine has had a mouse nibbling it though....dirty happy kids playing with water and paint this afternoon.
Hopefully more days like the last two to come!

Moira
26-Mar-12, 21:34
It was hot, really hot.

Our car temperature gauge was showing 19.5 in the shade, the real reading would have been around 18 C.

As others have said, it was a beautiful day no matter the exact temperatures.

We also had a gorgeous sunset on the north side of Wick tonight looking West. Such a contrast to two years ago when we were ice & snowbound at this time of year. :)

Stack Rock
27-Mar-12, 07:36
You can see from this link that Wick had an official record high March temperture yesterday of 19.5 C ( Met Office equipment at Wick Airport) It was probably a bit warmer inland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-17512701

linnie612
27-Mar-12, 13:47
30.9 C in Wick just now according to our little home weather station!:D

Iffy
27-Mar-12, 16:29
Absolutely glorious weather......sat outside all afternoon, just came in ! :Razz
Cannot remember a time when I could lie out in our back garden on my sun-lounger; wearing a vest-top and shorts, and covered in sun-screen during the month of March !!
:cool: :cool:

Stack Rock
27-Mar-12, 22:37

Sorry to disappoint you - officially its ony 18.7 c in Wick today by the MET Office. (temperarure has to be taken in the shade)

Alrock
27-Mar-12, 22:41
200°C in Castletown according to the thermostat in my oven...
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

Dadie
27-Mar-12, 23:31
2 days of paddling pool supervision in a row...must be a Caithness record...but its still cold at night!
Is the weather going to last as its great to get the kids outside in the sunshine rather than wrapped up in the rain?
Or is the weather going to break on fri and be horrible for 2 weeks....as its the hols!

David Banks
27-Mar-12, 23:43
Temp measurements are ambient temps measured in a shade , not radiated heat from the sun heating up the plastic case and inevitably the thermistor inside! Sorry, but it just aint accurate. Dinna mean til be a dooner....

Thermistor - really?

I have always thought of this device as having a non-linear temp-to-resistance characteristic so that it can activate an alarm at a preselected value by either a significant rise or fall in resistance. It would not seem to be suitable for sensing temperatures over the range needed for climate measurements.

But, I am willing to learn.

linnie612
28-Mar-12, 21:26
Sorry to disappoint you - officially its ony 18.7 c in Wick today by the MET Office. (temperarure has to be taken in the shade)

You didn't disappoint ME, - but my little weather station? - well miffed!:)