PDA

View Full Version : Jailed for threatening policeman

Nwicker60
26-Mar-12, 15:24
Accused tells constable-"I will take you 'out'...I am trained to do it"

A WICK man, who threatened to kill a police officer, was jailed for six months.
The incident happened after James Carruthers (37) was arrested following an alleged domestic disturbance.
He became abusive at Thurso police station, on March 9, and was taken to Caithness General Hospital after complaining of feeling unwell. It was at the A & E department that he made the threat, to Constable Paul Kerr.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, said that the accused told him something along the lines of – “I will take you out from a distance...I am trained to do it.” Carruthers, of Room 9, Harbour Guest House, Wick, admitted threatening and abusive behaviour, when he appeared from custody.
Solicitor Neil Wilson said that Carruthers “rightly or wrongly” felt aggrieved at having been arrested – the domestic allegation was subsequently dropped - and alleged he had been roughly handcuffed and “thrown into the back of a police van”.
However Mr Wilson added: “The accused has to accept that there were more appropriate ways of making his grievances known and wishes to apologise for his behaviour. Carruthers knows full well he is facing a prison sentence.”
Sheriff Andrew Berry, who saw a list of Carruthers’ previous convictions, jailed him for six months backdated to March 12 when he was arrested.

Driver was over the limit

A MEY man, who admitted driving with excess alcohol, was ordered to carry out 130 hours of unpaid community service.
Ian Mackay (53) admitted the offence and was also disqualified from driving for two years. He was stopped by police at Murkle, and tests revealed a breath alcohol level of 111 microgrammes.
Sheriff Berry said that although the fact that Mackay was three times the legal limit of 35mgs, raising the possibility of forfeiture of the car, the court was not automatically obliged to do so.
Mackay, of Royal Terrace, Mey, was a first offender and as the car did not belong to him, so the sheriff took the view it “would not be just” to have it forfeited.
IN an unrelated drinks-driving case, the sheriff called for background reports.
The accused Mary Cowie (60) was found to have a breath-alcohol reading of 82 micrograms – the limit is 35mgs – after being stopped by the police acting on a tip-off, at Scrabster, on March 23.
Cowie, who lives in Banks road, Watten, told them she had had two glasses of wine and added she was “totally embarrassed” and that it was “a wake-up call.”
Cowie (60) will reappear for sentence on April 23.