PDA

View Full Version : walligoe steps

essex boy
24-Mar-12, 23:06
Sorry if my spelling is wrong! But anyway. Stopped at the steps today, as the kids were nagging me to, but really glad we did. The weather was great and the sea totally clear but best of all was the chap we spoke to when we got back to the car park! He asked if we enjoyed it and if we were on holiday and then told us that he looks after the steps. He then said that his grandfather was one of the last fishermen at the cove and then went into great length telling us all the details of the place, how it all worked, how many boats and what they caught, and even how much it cost to build. Then he nipped indoors and came out with an old photo of the steps when it was still in use. The man was a gem and I don't know why the tourist board have'nt made more of this place what with the cafe there and all. So thanks to him if he reads this and when they pull there finger out and put the steps on the tourist map proper, they should give this chap a tour guide job:D

Alice in Blunderland
24-Mar-12, 23:12
David has been giving up his time for this cause for so many years now. He cuts the grass, keeps the place tidy and is a font of knowledge to those visiting the steps. :)

rogermellie
24-Mar-12, 23:23
the guy deserves a medal (or a new pair of knees) for all his hard work. quite a character

we met him a few years back and were amazed that he gives up so much time looking after the place, i agree that he deserves some recognition for his efforts, (although he'd probably be against the idea)

i might be wrong, but i think the reason the tourist board etc don't take anything to do with it is because of the elf and safety issues

Beat Bug
25-Mar-12, 09:25
I've been told that one of the reasons they're not listed as a tourist attraction, or even signposted, is that they are so fragile, a high volume of traffic could deteriorate them further, and they could eventually disappear altogether.

Tugmistress
25-Mar-12, 19:32
I too met the gentleman a few years ago, as you say he is brilliant source of information and knowledge and his upkeep of the steps is great and all voluntary too, a more pleasant chap you could not wish to meet :)