View Full Version : Transgender in questionnaire

secrets in symmetry
24-Mar-12, 14:44
I completed an online questionnaire this week. The first question was:

What is your gender?

Male
Female
Transgender

That's the first time I've seen the transgender option on a questionnaire.

Have I been living a sheltered life?

shazzap
24-Mar-12, 14:52
I completed an online questionnaire this week. The first questio

What is your gender?

Male
Female
Transgender

That's the first time I've seen the transgender option on a questionnaire.

Have I been living a sheltered life?

Yes...............

Alrock
24-Mar-12, 14:57
You should have put down... "None of the above... Hermaphrodite"

secrets in symmetry
24-Mar-12, 14:59
You should have put down... "None of the above... Hermaphrodite"How do you know I didn't? :cool:

I used to think a hermaphrodite was an insect that lived on water lilies.

John Little
24-Mar-12, 16:22
You have definitely been living a sheltered life.

Pity that there was not a box marked 'and your point is?' or

'What relevance has this question?'

or- 'None of your business!'

We get very exercised about gender. Maybe we should grow past it.

One thing does get me though - It shouldn't but I don't like it when I go into a Gents and some Dad has taken his little girl in there.

I know he should be able to, as women take their little boys into their loos - but I don't- so there!

secrets in symmetry
24-Mar-12, 18:58
I don't like seeing dads with little girls in public toilets either, although it's better than having them do it in the street!

I don't recall seeing the transgender option on previous questionnaires, but it's not something I normally look out for.

fingalmacool
24-Mar-12, 19:18
Ok Let me have a bash at this, Transgender, or is it transgender in question, which i believe is a female in a man's body that likes other females, or a male in a woman's body that likes males, which means i could be one "but which". Apparently the Org has no spelling for the word transgender?:confused

theone
24-Mar-12, 22:03
You should have put down... "None of the above... Hermaphrodite"

Would that not have been "All of the above" ???

TAFKAL
25-Mar-12, 10:02
Ok Let me have a bash at this, Transgender, or is it transgender in question, which i believe is a female in a man's body that likes other females, or a male in a woman's body that likes males, which means i could be one "but which". Apparently the Org has no spelling for the word transgender?:confusedSexuality has nothing to do with it. A transgender person is someone who was born the opposite sex and has undergone the operation to become the other sex and has had their sex legally changed.

ducati
25-Mar-12, 10:24
Sexuality has nothing to do with it. A transgender person is someone who was born the opposite sex and has undergone the operation to become the other sex and has had their sex legally changed.

Too much other people trying to define it. If you look great in heels or a lumberjack shirt (or both)........Go for it! :D

TAFKAL
25-Mar-12, 11:13
Too much other people trying to define it. If you look great in heels or a lumberjack shirt (or both)........Go for it! :D Agreed. Though certain questions that are asked for the applicants protection. Mental health issues is a classic example - they're not allowed to discriminate against you if you declare it, and you are offered protection because you declared it, but if you don't then that protection goes out the window...

Angel
25-Mar-12, 11:53
Lots of forms etc ask this question since being 'transgendered' has been recognised.
Transgendered is a journey from one gender to another.
Once you start that journey, you are in 'transition'.
Once you have arrived you are that gender.
You don't have to have GRS (the operation) to be a 'transgendered person'.
Being transgendered is not a choice.
Officially you become that gender when certified by the Gender Recogniton Panel.
Recognition at this point in time requires - GRS, all documentation changed to new gender status/identity and you have to have lived in this 'new role' for at least 12 months.
Any transgendered person who is married and requires to change their gender can only be recognised by the GRP if they divorce first. They can then join together in a civil relationship. (There are moves to change this ruling).
28% of those who are transgendered commit suicide due to social pressure (lack of support, rejection etc).
Transgendered are not transvestites.
Transwomen M2F (male to female) outnumber Transmen F2M by approx 7:1

I'll stop there...lol...

Angel...

shazzap
25-Mar-12, 12:28
I fail to see the need - on most things at least - to ask someone their gender or race. The only conceivable use as far as I'm aware would be for affirmative action, box ticking or tokenism. Which as far as I'm concerned is counter productive. It basically says to people you're not good or strong enough to do this on your own therefore we need to help you. If we must have affirmative action at least base it on poverty/economic background.

Also isn't the term transgendered insulting as don't transgendered people prefer to identify as the gender they transitioned into.

I ahve always thought this too. Especially where it is a service, you are asking for. It should be allocated on need, nothing else. Yes transgender people, do like to be known as either male or female.

RecQuery
25-Mar-12, 12:29
I fail to see the need - on most things at least - to ask someone their gender or race. The only conceivable use as far as I'm aware would be for affirmative action, box ticking or tokenism. Which as far as I'm concerned is counter productive. It basically says to people you're not good or strong enough to do this on your own therefore we need to help you. If we must have affirmative action at least base it on poverty/economic background.

Also isn't the term transgendered insulting as don't transgendered people prefer to identify as the gender they transitioned into.

One thing does get me though - It shouldn't but I don't like it when I go into a Gents and some Dad has taken his little girl in there.

Bit of a stretch but would you feel the same way about mothers with little boys in the ladies toilets?

This is part of the reason men don't go into early stages teaching or work with children in general we're all scared out of our minds of being accused of being a paedophile. Dads playing with their children in parks have had the police called on them because concerned individuals were worried for the safety of the children. And this just damages the children, as a result of fear like this some children have no positive male role models and coincidentally it's actually why boys are doing worse at the earlier and in some cases later stages of education.

Phill
25-Mar-12, 12:51
One thing does get me though - It shouldn't but I don't like it when I go into a Gents and some Dad has taken his little girl in there.The ladies don't like it much when I take my little girl in the Lady's though.

It's not as though we sit 'em in the urinals.

John Little
25-Mar-12, 12:51
No - it's different.

If a woman takes a child into a toilet then all they see are cubicles.

If a man takes a wee girl into a Gents, with urinals, then there's all these guys with their wotsits out.

It may be understandable, allowed and necessary, but I don't have to like it.

shazzap
25-Mar-12, 12:58
No - it's different.

If a woman takes a child into a toilet then all they see are cubicles.

If a man takes a wee girl into a Gents, with urinals, then there's all these guys with their wotsits out.

It may be understandable, allowed and necessary, but I don't have to like it.

I would think any dad, would first check to see all was clear. If you are a dad out on your own. What choice do you have.

Alrock
25-Mar-12, 12:59
then there's all these guys with their wotsits out.

Do you mean penis?
On the assumption you do, what's wrong with that, it's just another part of the human anatomy. No wonder there are so many issues over the naked human body, should be nothing to be ashamed off.

shazzap
25-Mar-12, 13:29
Do you mean penis?
On the assumption you do, what's wrong with that, it's just another part of the human anatomy. No wonder there are so many issues over the naked human body, should be nothing to be ashamed off.

I still would not like my grandkids. To see all and sundries penis.

Alrock
25-Mar-12, 14:33
I still would not like my grandkids. To see all and sundries penis.

It might bother you but I bet it wouldn't bother them in the slightest, unless they have already had a fear of the penis instilled in them, that being learnt behaviour not natural behaviour.

shazzap
25-Mar-12, 14:42
It might bother you but I bet it wouldn't bother them in the slightest, unless they have already had a fear of the penis instilled in them, that being learnt behaviour not natural behaviour.

Probably not, up to a certain age. But we live in a society were it is not the norm, to show your genitalia off, to everyone, willy nilly ( pardon the pun).
Also i think children should be learnt, respect for their bodies.

Alrock
25-Mar-12, 14:52
Probably not, up to a certain age. But we live in a society were it is not the norm, to show your genitalia off, to everyone, willy nilly ( pardon the pun).
Just because it's currently a Social Taboo that doesn't mean it is right... If things never changed we would still be shocked by the sight of a ladies ankle.

Also i think children should be learnt, respect for their bodies.
Please explain how the sight of a penis would cause a child to loose all respect for their body?

shazzap
25-Mar-12, 15:36
Just because it's currently a Social Taboo that doesn't mean it is right... If things never changed we would still be shocked by the sight of a ladies ankle.

Please explain how the sight of a penis would cause a child to loose all respect for their body?

Whether or not, we will all be running around naked in the future. Remains to be seen. But at the moment bathroom and toileting, is a private thing

I never said that seeing a penis will make them loose respect. But as i said above, toileting is a private matter. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Or go around in circles arguing the point.

RecQuery
26-Mar-12, 09:09
I highly doubt men are walking around with their penises flapping in the wind all willy nilly, not that I've tried but I imagine that it's very difficult to actually see a penis in public toilets - beyond the ones drawn on the walls - Either that or people are frequenting some interesting public toilets. Most male public toilets have cubicles also.

I think some people may be sexualising children. What does it matter if a young child sees someone genitalia anyway, at that age they have no context regarding their sexual functions. I'm amazed at the things we'll let children do but heaven forbid they should hear a 'bad' word or see a naked body.

EDIT: Perhaps unisex toilets composed entirely of cubicles or some sort of special facility for people with young children is the answer. Though the latter seems like society bending over backwards to accommodate parents and children again.

squidge
26-Mar-12, 09:12
I have a 4 and 2 year old and their dad takes them to the gents if it is his turn when we are out. Neither of the children take ANY notice of men having a pee. They are just not interested. Why would they be? They have seen their dad using the toilet and their big brothers since they were born.

Phill
26-Mar-12, 09:42
It's fully understandable why some people may not be comfortable with young children of the opposite sex in the toilets, specifically girls in a gents loo. But it's not done out of choice, there isn't many places with a kids toilet or they may have a baby-change but no toilet in there. If I have them both needing the toilet I will sometimes use the disabled as it is easier with two to do it that way but I do find it embarrassing when coming out to find someone waiting.
Most toilets are laid out in such a manner that the cubicles are away from urinals or there is a modesty panel in place so unless someone is running a distance/height competition (normally reserved to schoolboy toilets) the chances of anything being seen are quite small and even then only a glimpsing view.

Upon taking my little girl into a gents she is quickly ushered into a cubicle for everyone's sanity. She has seen me naked, she has seen her brother naked and understands we have different 'bits' and we have taken care to try and balance the 'it's just another body part' with what is appropriate in public & private settings.
Those that have/had kids will know when they're young they'll run round naked and not give a hoot.

fingalmacool
26-Mar-12, 22:39
:confused
Sexuality has nothing to do with it. A transgender person is someone who was born the opposite sex and has undergone the operation to become the other sex and has had their sex legally changed.

Me thinks you should go back to the drawing board and have another stab at it, as you have just spouted billocks pardon the expression on such a cutting issue "ouch":confused

Fran
26-Mar-12, 23:48
You get asked this in hospital as well. also you are asked if you intend having a sex change!!!!!!

Angel
27-Mar-12, 22:12
Why do they ask if you intend to have a sex change... ?

Angel...

hunter
31-Mar-12, 17:52
Sex is what's between your legs, gender is what's between your ears.

Gender dysphoria affects both sexes. It is a recognised medical condition. At its mildest, it can manifest itself as an occasional cross-dresser; at its most severe, it requires corrective surgery to match the sex of the body to the gender and relieve the intolerable mental stress. Sadly, many people commit suicide first. It is thought to affect between 1 and 10 in every 100 people to some degree.

There is no direct correlation between someone's sexual orientation and their gender dysphoria.

An organisation needs to gather statistical information to assure itself the organisation isn't practising discrimination - wittingly or unwittingly - against people with any of the "protected characterstics" identified in the Equality Act. These include race, disability, religion, maternity, sexual orientation, gender as well as transgender.