PDA

View Full Version : keiss

Southern-Gal
24-Mar-12, 12:42
Can anyone give me info on the village of Keiss?
Anything good, bad or other please.
Is it a good place for children to grow up?
Anything at all that you can think of.
Thanks in advance :)

Torvaig
24-Mar-12, 13:18
It is a lovely rural village next to the sea. It has an excellent primary school, playing fields, a corner shop (though no longer on a corner!) a village hall, at least two churches and a great community spirit!

They have things like "It's a Knockout" on the village green and it is very much a family day.

If you are thinking of moving there, it's the right move.....:)

starfish
24-Mar-12, 14:04
there is also a youth club for over 5 in the school and varies groups classes in the village hall

billmoseley
24-Mar-12, 19:52
i can vouch for the kids i take them to school on the bus most days and a great bunch of kids a little cheeky at times but i do wind them up a bit

starfish
24-Mar-12, 19:57
the harbour is a lovely place in the summer watching the boats go in and out the bay . there is a little paddling area there as well. the beach is lovely and sandy the kids love it there .

Southern-Gal
24-Mar-12, 20:24
We went down to the harbur and did not notice a smell at all.
The beach is amazing!

David Banks
24-Mar-12, 21:14
Southern-Gal if you havn't smelt the harbour you soon will mark my words :)

I can't comment about Keiss harbour, but remember Scarfskerry haven smelling really bad a few days after a storm with uprooted seaweed which had been landed onshore.

The seaweed deposited on the shore was called "waar" as I remember it, and could be two or three feet thick in places.

Do not let such comparatively rare natural events put you off moving to Keiss (or any other place in Caithness).

If someone local can identify the source as something else (such as untreated human effluent or farm runoff), that would be an entirely different story.

Southern-Gal
24-Mar-12, 21:40
Why did you move bindybee?
What does the harbour actually smell of restlessnative?
When we went there was a fisherman unloading some fish in boxes, I definitely did not notice any smell.
Any other info would be most welcome thank you :)

Corrie 3
24-Mar-12, 21:44
Anything good, bad or other please.
Is it a good place for children to grow up?
Anything at all that you can think of.
Thanks in advance :)
Out of curiosity (noseyness) can I ask why you want to move North ?

C3...............;)

starfish
24-Mar-12, 21:48
we moved here 9 years ago and never regretted it love the life minutes from the beach and harbour only time it smells is if a storm has bought seaweed in but that nature

bindybee
24-Mar-12, 21:58
hi southern gal, i moved for 2 reasons.1 due to my husbands work not so far for him to travel everyday, and 2nd we was in need of a bigger house. there was no negative reason for us leaving. restlessnative is right though, the harbour does have a pong to it after a good storm, but nothing that should deter someone from moving there

essex boy
24-Mar-12, 22:21
All though I don't live in Keiss, my sprogs go to Keiss school and went to the nursery as well. They have both proved very good and because they are small have a more family atmosphere than a larger town school.

Southern-Gal
25-Mar-12, 00:07
Out of curiosity (noseyness) can I ask why you want to move North ?

C3...............;)

Lots of reasons - quiter life, nicer people, beach, property prices are better, rural life the list goes on.
Also looking at Lyth, not far away, hopefully that is just as nice to live in?

annemarie482
25-Mar-12, 00:12
Lots of reasons - quiter life, nicer people, beach, property prices are better, rural life the list goes on.

lyth is also nice, but not quite the same sense of community as its spread over an open distance.
i now live at the start of lyth , but still very much consider myself a keisser as i spend most my time there, and my children go to the local nursery which is lovely :)

Torvaig
25-Mar-12, 01:37

Lyth is a lovely place to live as well and what used to be the school there, is now a beautiful Art Centre. There is an exhibition every summer and many shows throughout the year, jazz, plays, comedians etc., and often activities for the locals as well. A lovely place to visit for a cup of coffee and some tasty home baking!

There is a lovely cottage for sale just now in Lyth. It is two cottages combined into one and has a beautiful garden, separate garage and plenty parking. The children from Lyth got to Keiss school by bus and there is a bowling club, hobbies night and dinner dances held in the Lyth hall. All the catering for the dances is done by the locals and there is a good community spirit.

I have tried to place a link for the cottage in Lyth but no luck. It is called Ar Tigh (Our House) is advertised in the Property for Sale here on the org. Good luck to you wherever you choose to settle and, as an aside, all harbours smell at under certain conditions such as low tide with exposed seaweed and hot sun! Goes with the territory!

Yon Chiel
25-Mar-12, 06:17

Full of cliques. Unless your name is "MacKay", forget it.

Southern-Gal
25-Mar-12, 09:52
Oh!
Now Im stumped!

annemarie482
25-Mar-12, 10:17
Full of cliques. Unless your name is "MacKay", forget it.

thats not true either!
there are lots of familys here that have been here a long time, mackays, beggs, harrolds, bain etc.
but you get that everywhere, i'm none of the above.
my mums from newcastle (although her family were all from caithness) and my dad from glasgow and we've been in keiss for 28 years now.
we were made welcome and have had no hassle/bother and wouldnt want to live anywhere else!
and having worked in the local hotel for 7 years i have watched family after family move into the village and settle perfectly.
if the place was so bad it wouldnt be expanding so fast lol
many people who grew up there come back as its an excellent place for kids to grow up.
please dont let a couple comments from people who have probably not lived in the village sway your decision.

starfish
25-Mar-12, 10:18
keiss like every little village has gossip and people that do not want to be part of a commuinty its a lovely place to live the only trouble with lyth there is no bus route throught it ,children get transport to and from the village school and the high school in wick. there is a nice place for sale with land in south keiss which is very quite and peaceful

Gronnuck
25-Mar-12, 14:43
Don't pay any attention to anything Yon Chiel says. He/she has never said anything constructive or positive about anything yet.

Southern-Gal
25-Mar-12, 16:23
keiss like every little village has gossip and people that do not want to be part of a commuinty its a lovely place to live the only trouble with lyth there is no bus route throught it ,children get transport to and from the village school and the high school in wick. there is a nice place for sale with land in south keiss which is very quite and peaceful

Thank you :)
Which place are you thinking of?
Do you all think that riding a pony around on the roads would be safe? It looked safe to me but we only had a couple of days to decide.
Thanks for all opinions, good and bad :)

annemarie482
25-Mar-12, 16:36
Thank you :)
Which place are you thinking of?
Do you all think that riding a pony around on the roads would be safe? It looked safe to me but we only had a couple of days to decide.
Thanks for all opinions, good and bad :)

i'd imagine she's on about "long green" just outside keiss, and yes i'd say so as they are already several folk within the village with horses that do so on a regular basis x

starfish
25-Mar-12, 17:20
hi southern gal was was on about long green and after riding in essex and norfolk the roads here are a ride in the park you do get the odd numbskull but you get that anywhere , I must say most of the drivers here are very patient and are aware of horse sense . you can also ride on the beaches at reiss/keiss and dunnet bay. as anne marie say do not let a few stupid comments by a few orgers put you off .

pat
25-Mar-12, 17:45
Hi southerngal
Caithness is a lovely county and Keiss is a lovely friendly village - but as you can see there are always the village idiots wherever you may go, north or south and by the posts that Yon Cheil has posted you can observe he is one of the village or county idiots and always extremely negative.
Please do what you usually do with the village idiot - humour and ignore.

Southern-Gal
25-Mar-12, 17:49
Thanks all :)

chirpy chick
25-Mar-12, 18:31
Full of cliques. Unless your name is "MacKay", forget it. I have to totally disagree with this comment! Have lived in Lyth for 9 years now after moving up from Essex and have more friends here than I did down there. In fact, I think that most people down the Lyth road are not true locals and not Mackays!

Corrie 3
25-Mar-12, 20:21
Its a racist name http://www.metro.co.uk/news/79744-pikey-is-now-a-race-hate-word
So someone has decided that's its now a racist name........How long before Jock and Paddy become racist names?
This country has gone soft in the head!!

C3....................:roll::roll:

Southern-Gal
25-Mar-12, 21:08
So, restlessnative, where in your opinion is the best place to live in Caithness and where do you live?
The harbour is really not a problem to us at all so if it does or does not smell wont matter.
Is the local abbattoir is going to start up again or is it closed for good?

starfish
25-Mar-12, 21:23
'm born and breed in Caithness, my family can be traced back centuries, I think i may know a little more about the situation than people some other people with limited local knowledge. Same can be said for incomers that take over local community councils or even web forums with limited local knowledge as said by RENTLESSNATIVE what you do not like is incomers by the sound of it you are just trying to put off southern gal from moving to caithness by the sounds of your posts . I am sorry but there are more and more outsider moving in and will be for years to come get over it

The Flea
25-Mar-12, 21:32

What about Staxigoe? Lovely quiet village beside Wick, no beach but does have a lovely harbour.

Restlessnative
25-Mar-12, 21:40
So, restlessnative, where in your opinion is the best place to live in Caithness and where do you live?
The harbour is really not a problem to us at all so if it does or does not smell wont matter.
Is the local abbattoir is going to start up again or is it closed for good?

I think Dunnet is about the best place to live, it's very nice. Keiss is no doubt a good place aswell if the harbour won't bother you. Local abbattoir your guess is as good as mine call them and ask. Friend of mines live very close and it never really bothered them when it was running.

Restlessnative
25-Mar-12, 21:51
'm born and breed in Caithness, my family can be traced back centuries, I think i may know a little more about the situation than people some other people with limited local knowledge. Same can be said for incomers that take over local community councils or even web forums with limited local knowledge as said by RENTLESSNATIVE what you do not like is incomers by the sound of it you are just trying to put off southern gal from moving to caithness by the sounds of your posts . I am sorry but there are more and more outsider moving in and will be for years to come get over it

I'm not trying to put her off just making sure she knows what's happening. Incommers are more than welcome, I'm friends with many incommers that have became great assets to the community as they try to fit in rather than change it. We don't need people that come here never get a job, steal things, cause disruption to other people and drag down house prices, use up council housing that's needed by young working couples then trash them to be given another and really be a pain in the backside to everyone and thing near them.

My friends have to lock there doors in Keiss now, that never used to happen.

Kevin Milkins
25-Mar-12, 22:01
We are going to Keiss on holiday next week, I hope the locals are friendly and I'm looking forward to a pint in the local pub.

sids
25-Mar-12, 22:16
Just keep to the road.

starfish
25-Mar-12, 22:25
could someone tell me why this racist abuse is allowed to continue i know that this thread has been reported 4 times and its still on here you can not call someone abusive name . This is a form of racism other posts have been deletled in the past

rogermellie
25-Mar-12, 22:50
sorry, that was a bit sexist of me to assume starfish is a wooman

starfish
25-Mar-12, 22:51
Its a racist name http://www.metro.co.uk/news/79744-pi...race-hate-word (http://www.metro.co.uk/news/79744-pikey-is-now-a-race-hate-word)

Moira
25-Mar-12, 22:57
I'm not trying to put her off just making sure she knows what's happening. Incommers are more than welcome, I'm friends with many incommers that have became great assets to the community as they try to fit in rather than change it. We don't need people that come here never get a job, steal things, cause disruption to other people and drag down house prices, use up council housing that's needed by young working couples then trash them to be given another and really be a pain in the backside to everyone and thing near them.

My friends have to lock there doors in Keiss now, that never used to happen.

The tone of your posts make me cringe, especially this one.

As is the case in any community throughout the country there will always be both good people, moving in and moving out, as well as bad people doing the same.

As well as the several things you mention that are not needed in Caithness perhaps your unsubstantiated ramblings are just as unwelcome.

I hope your "incommer friends" appreciate you becoming their friend. How gracious of you. :roll:

I hope that the OP will take all the negative replies on this thread with a pinch of salt and concentrate on the positives.
I don't live in Keiss but do have family and friends who live there.

All best with your move North, Southern-Gal. :)

equusdriving
25-Mar-12, 23:24
'yawn', in a certain context it could be an offence, i.e. when used as a derogatory insult

oh I see so did Restlessnative mean it as a compliment?? :roll:

bindybee
25-Mar-12, 23:39
it has become a term of abuse and in the eyes of the law using it can be deemed a racist offence, as the link above from equusdriving has shown.

Restlessnative
25-Mar-12, 23:43
it seems so
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/01/19/racist-pensioner-fined-for-branding-travellers-scum-and-pikey-filth-86908-23706673/

Hahaha you crack me up.... a spades a spade!

Have you read the comments on the article above?

I'm wishing I never bothered now, I'll keep my "unsubstantiated ramblings" to myself and wait for them to post an "item stolen please help" post next time :)

rogermellie
25-Mar-12, 23:48
but is it racist ... really ?

i've heard the word used, not against travellers, but against the workshy layabouts in the south west of england-shire, seemed like a very common term down there.

Rheghead
25-Mar-12, 23:49
OK, so I'm inventing a word to derogatory refer to a group of specific people which I have yet to decide upon. They are the Prollops, now I'll let this forum decide who that group of people will be.

If this word catches on and spreads into common parlance then I wonder how long it will take to get banned?

equusdriving
26-Mar-12, 00:12
You have lost the plot, put a cork on the bottle and go to sleep.

Is that a NO then? or do you need some more time to work it out? :lol:

maggie
26-Mar-12, 00:21
Following many complaints about racist remarks, the offending posts have been removed and the thread locked