PDA

View Full Version : Over achievers?

Dadie
24-Mar-12, 01:03
Im at a dillema ..how do the schools cope with kids that are bored with school...and lessons in P1 that they can do without any thought ...and can encompass the weaknesses and work on them (even though they are not counted as weaknesses at the stage/year they are at) and give the child a good education without boredom and without going to far advanced they miss out in the social/peer work/play thing going on!

Moira
24-Mar-12, 01:25
Would this question not be better directed at the school's Head Teacher?

If you're not comfortable with this why not ask around other mothers who have children in the same class as your children ?

My best guess would be that this is not an all encompassing question and would very much depend on the School and the child. Therefore I doubt posing this question on here is your best solution. Good luck anyway. ;)

Dadie
24-Mar-12, 10:36
No just wanting general advice as I am not sure what I want to do with her.
And want other parents thoughts on this matter...as advancing her too far will eventually take her out of her peer group and in with older kids.....which wont be great on the social side of school life.
I am not trying to boast about her Im worried on the impact of advancing her too far or not letting her do more difficult work and then her not doing it as its too easy and then playing up or something...
The school has a plan in place for her and we are going through with it.

TAFKAL
24-Mar-12, 10:40
Speaking from experience letting a bright child just potter along with the rest creates for a lazy child. Children do need challenging to learn that life isn't easy and to give them a sense of accomplishment.One thing to watch out for is for teachers to use your child as a teaching aid - this happened to me a lot at school :(

The Music Monster
24-Mar-12, 11:09
When I did my training we were told never to give extra work to high achievers but to have differentiated work so that, though everyone in the class was on the same topic, some were doing more advanced worksheets than others. Have a word with the teachers in the school and tell them that you are concerned about this. I'm sure they will be more than happy to widen the ability range to include your child. Socially speaking, she should stay with pupils her own age, as academic advancement does not necessarily work at the same rate as social advancement.

Well done to your daughter, she sounds like she has a great future ahead of her! :)