PDA

View Full Version : Job Hunters-Beggars?

david
21-Mar-12, 20:18
Do any of you out there think that those folks who advertise "looking for work" in newspapers and other media are "Beggars"? Ive just recieved a pm from Mr Fernie who states this. So are job hunters begging-sounds a bit strong to me?

david
21-Mar-12, 20:28
Do any of you out there think that those folks who advertise "looking for work" in newspapers and other media are "Beggars"? Ive just recieved a pm from Mr Fernie who states this. So are job hunters begging-sounds a bit strong to me?

Is Mr Fernie not a councillor?

pat
21-Mar-12, 20:28
I personally would have thought you were "offering your services" which is just the same as a job advert but in reverse.

I would prefer to employ someone who had the initiative to try to search for work rather than someone who has been sent along by the job centre as a tick to be fulfilled as part of seeking a job and keeping their benefits.

Best wishes in finding some type of work, voluntary or otherwise.

Alrock
21-Mar-12, 20:31
Beggars have a choice.... Job Hunters are actively coerced into such behaviour by the Job Centre

Corrie 3
21-Mar-12, 20:32
I would have thought there were well over a million people in this country begging for work right now and it's going to get worse!!
If you are desperate it's not a crime to beg for something!!.......I often have to beg for forgiveness but that's another story!!

C3.................:roll:

david
21-Mar-12, 20:38
Is Mr Fernie not a councillor?

It was Niall Fernie who referred to job hunters as beggars.

Restlessnative
21-Mar-12, 20:58
Maybe they are or maybe they're not it really doesn't matter. At least it shows a willingness to work which is becoming rare indeed. Hats off to the people that try so hard, I hope they one day find themselves in a position to call people beggars but don't as they know how it feel to wall in that shoes.

david
21-Mar-12, 21:05
Maybe they are or maybe they're not it really doesn't matter. At least it shows a willingness to work which is becoming rare indeed. Hats off to the people that try so hard, I hope they one day find themselves in a position to call people beggars but don't as they know how it feel to wall in that shoes.

It still worries me that this "Org" moderator refers to JS as beggars though.

starfish
21-Mar-12, 21:10
there is no real jobs out there , a single mum i know has just been told by the job centre now that her last child is 5 she has to get work or do voluntarily work, She would willing work if she could find child care, and public transport to get her from the village she works , she has no transport of her own.If the government want people to work they need to put a lot more child care and transport in place . What well happen to all these 5 year old roam the streets because the government has sent mummy to work Not all single mum started out that way some are there for reason beyond there control.As for being called a beggar because you have posted on here that you available for work is just plain stupid, I would rather employ some one that is really looking for work and not some one whom has been told to get off they behinds by the job centre.

Restlessnative
21-Mar-12, 21:11
I don't know him or in the context it was ment.

I think most people realise that the org is not actually a public venture so I'm not moved to have any veiw on the matter out of principle.

radiohead
21-Mar-12, 21:14
So a moderator refers to job seekers as beggars, but doesn't deal with offensive and hurtful posts on the cruise thread. Double standards from the internet gestapo I think....

david
21-Mar-12, 21:17
So a moderator refers to job seekers as beggars, but doesn't deal with offensive and hurtful posts on the cruise thread. Double standards from the internet gestapo I think....

How long before this thread goes missing?.......

Niall Fernie
21-Mar-12, 21:23
Just before I read through the rest of the thread, I am not a councillor.

BRIE
21-Mar-12, 21:23

I would say beggars are the ones sitting on the street doing nothing with a cup in hand. Getting of your backside, having the initiative to put an advert in the paper offering your skills & services is definitely not! I wonder if Mr Fernie would still be saying this if it was HIM out of work struggling to support a family & keep a roof over his head!![evil]

changilass
21-Mar-12, 21:29
If I wanted someone to work for me I would advertise the fact, not go trawling through hundreds of threads on a website looking for someone.

bcsman
21-Mar-12, 21:33
Nonesense,many people are look for work willingly and are not coerced into such behaviour by the job centre

Beggars have a choice.... Job Hunters are actively coerced into such behaviour by the Job Centre

david
21-Mar-12, 21:33
If I wanted someone to work for me I would advertise the fact, not go trawling through hundreds of threads on a website looking for someone.

That is well put, more or less what Mr Fernie said without the need to refer to "beggars".

david
21-Mar-12, 21:34
Just before I read through the rest of the thread, I am not a councillor.

Thats great news!

starfish
21-Mar-12, 21:39
i just hope mr fernie never finds himself unemployed and has to ask for a job how low would that be for him. In this day and age its nothing to be ashamed of being unemployed many hard working people whom have held a job for a number of years have now found they selfs unemployed.I feel sorry for them sort of people, they feel low enough without being called a beggar by some high almighty

Alrock
21-Mar-12, 21:50
Nonesense,many people are look for work willingly and are not coerced into such behaviour by the job centre

I'm willingly looking for work, however with the Job Market as it is there is not a constant supply of suitable vacancies... On such weeks that there are no vacancies to apply for then I am given no choice but to go begging, either by post, phone or email, to some employer. If I didn't, it would be deemed that I was not doing enough & could have my money stopped...

Is that not being coerced?

david
21-Mar-12, 21:56
I'm willingly looking for work, however with the Job Market as it is there is not a constant supply of suitable vacancies... On such weeks that there are no vacancies to apply for then I am given no choice but to go begging, either by post, phone or email, to some employer. If I didn't, it would be deemed that I was not doing enough & could have my money stopped...

Is that not being coerced?

Some would say it's begging....

Niall Fernie
21-Mar-12, 22:19
OK, firstly my choice of words could have been better, beggar might not be the best description but this was sent in a private message and was directed only at David who was querying the rules on posting in the Job Vacancies forum. However, I've said it now and feel no reason to argue about my poor choice of words.

Secondly, let me point out again, I am not my father and I am not a councillor. We are not like Peter Parker and Spiderman and can regularly be seen together in the same place. I can provide a photo if further proof is required.

Now onto the rules regarding the Job Vacancies forum.

We do not allow "Looking for work" adverts due to the fact that they are a waste of time, a waste of server space and a waste of effort in looking after.

Employers who advertise positions on our site have regularly reported how happy they are with the level of response they have received from their adverts and also on the quality of applicants. I'm sure they feel the same way about adverts they place elsewhere as well. As they are very busy trawling through suitable applicants, very few of them will have the time to they go and trawl through hundreds of "Looking for work" adverts. This simple fact makes "Looking for work" adverts useless.

So obviously, passing on parts of a private message to people to whom it was not directed has generated a few negative comments towards me. I'm sure that was David's intention in posting in the first place. Strangely (or not), he decided to comment in the public forum and not reply to the private message.

Anyway, I'll address a couple of them...

How long before this thread goes missing?.......
Your thread was removed from the Job Vacancies forum as it was not a Job Vacancy.

Apart from the first couple of posts when the thread was started, I've not read it although I understand the other admins and moderators are debating how best to tackle the issues on the thread.

i just hope mr fernie never finds himself unemployed and has to ask for a job how low would that be for him.
In the 20 odd years since I left school I've found myself unemployed several times and a couple of times for longer than a year. I know full well how depressing it can be. I have in those years applied for literally hundreds of jobs and have received enough rejection letters (back when they used to bother to send them) to wallpaper all the rooms in my house.

I do feel the pain of people who have been unemployed for a long time but why would I give them false hope by encouraging them to post up pointless "looking for work" adverts.

I also recognise a great deal of difference between those types of ads and writing to specific employers looking for work, having done that as well I know there is a world of difference mainly due to the intent of the letter.

So to finish, I made a comment in a private message to david who used that to cause upset to other people. There's not much I can do about that, but I can defend my reasons for not allowing "looking for work" adverts on my web site.

starfish
21-Mar-12, 22:26
We do not allow "Looking for work" adverts due to the fact that they are a waste of time, a waste of server space and a waste of effort in looking after. as said by mr fernie

tell the job centre this as they tell you to contact employers every avenue that can lead to a job is not a waste of time

Corrie 3
21-Mar-12, 22:26
So to finish, I made a comment in a private message to david who used that to cause upset to other people. There's not much I can do about that, but I can defend my reasons for not allowing "looking for work" adverts on my web site.
Niall, there's a lot you can do about that...................Be like other Forums and make the rule that anyone quoting all, or part of, private messages has their membership terminated immediately. This is the only Forum I know that allows PM's to be quoted, it isn't right and should be stopped forthwith!!!

C3......................:confused

Niall Fernie
21-Mar-12, 22:37
Be like other Forums and make the rule that anyone quoting all, or part of, private messages has their membership terminated immediately.
I'll have a think about that, it does seem like a good idea in most cases. Perhaps with an addition of "unless stated by the sender that its ok to quote".

Corrie 3
21-Mar-12, 22:42
I'll have a think about that, it does seem like a good idea in most cases. Perhaps with an addition of "unless stated by the sender that its ok to quote".
Yes that's right, if both parties agree that it can be posted then fine.
I always thought that was the idea of the PM service, that it's kept private, not splashed all over the Forum for all to see!
It's well worth implementing in my opinion !

C3.................:)

david
21-Mar-12, 22:50
OK, firstly my choice of words could have been better, beggar might not be the best description but this was sent in a private message and was directed only at David who was querying the rules on posting in the Job Vacancies forum. However, I've said it now and feel no reason to argue about my poor choice of words.

Secondly, let me point out again, I am not my father and I am not a councillor. We are not like Peter Parker and Spiderman and can regularly be seen together in the same place. I can provide a photo if further proof is required.

Now onto the rules regarding the Job Vacancies forum.

We do not allow "Looking for work" adverts due to the fact that they are a waste of time, a waste of server space and a waste of effort in looking after.

Employers who advertise positions on our site have regularly reported how happy they are with the level of response they have received from their adverts and also on the quality of applicants. I'm sure they feel the same way about adverts they place elsewhere as well. As they are very busy trawling through suitable applicants, very few of them will have the time to they go and trawl through hundreds of "Looking for work" adverts. This simple fact makes "Looking for work" adverts useless.

So obviously, passing on parts of a private message to people to whom it was not directed has generated a few negative comments towards me. I'm sure that was David's intention in posting in the first place. Strangely (or not), he decided to comment in the public forum and not reply to the private message.

Anyway, I'll address a couple of them...

Your thread was removed from the Job Vacancies forum as it was not a Job Vacancy.

Apart from the first couple of posts when the thread was started, I've not read it although I understand the other admins and moderators are debating how best to tackle the issues on the thread.

In the 20 odd years since I left school I've found myself unemployed several times and a couple of times for longer than a year. I know full well how depressing it can be. I have in those years applied for literally hundreds of jobs and have received enough rejection letters (back when they used to bother to send them) to wallpaper all the rooms in my house.

I do feel the pain of people who have been unemployed for a long time but why would I give them false hope by encouraging them to post up pointless "looking for work" adverts.

I also recognise a great deal of difference between those types of ads and writing to specific employers looking for work, having done that as well I know there is a world of difference mainly due to the intent of the letter.

Mmm " Strangely or not" my reply pm to your original pm has now gone missing despite me checking it had been sent? Okay how about you just posting on here your pm to me? (which was the content of my missing pm to you). And why label the longtermed unemployed as "beggars"? Still it is your website as you have pointed out-I thought it was Caithness.Org, not niall fernie.org- So its okay for you to cause me upset as long as I don't pass it on?? "We don't allow looking for work adverts"? Wots that all about? You allow lots of other trash to be banded about for days. Have you really been out of school that long? Still well done it is after all your web site.

Phill
21-Mar-12, 22:58
Stop digging.

david
21-Mar-12, 23:05
[QUOTE=Phill;938310]Stop digging.[/

Why? I ain't scared. Go to www. niall fernie.co.uk for all your Caithness news.

Restlessnative
21-Mar-12, 23:05
If you just say sorry I'm sure they will leave it be, they might even let you be a councillor one day then you can do anything you wish ;)

starfish
21-Mar-12, 23:06
sorry mr fernie if you say something in private or not if you can not back it up keep quite

Tilly Teckel
21-Mar-12, 23:21
Many years ago I landed my first job by sending out letters to lots of potential employers, none of whom were advertising for staff, and I got nothing but positive feedback for my initiative. I agree that a person who has the desire to work and is not afraid to ask for it is the sort of person most employers would be interested in. Good luck to you!

david
21-Mar-12, 23:32
Come on Niall, post your pm to me here, It's your website don't forget..

David Banks
21-Mar-12, 23:51
Come on Niall, post your pm to me here, It's your website don't forget..

Come on David.
Quit this while you are ahead.

starfish
21-Mar-12, 23:53
{Go to www. niall fernie.co.uk for all your Caithness news.}i see do not want people to say they are looking for work does this mean he does not get commission for the advert

changilass
21-Mar-12, 23:56
Why should he? its a PM = private message, what part of private are you having a problem with?

As you pointed out, its his web site, I am sure there are plenty of others out there if you look.

Why not put an ad in the local paper looking for work, good luck with your job search.

golach
21-Mar-12, 23:59
Why should he? its a PM = private message, what part of private are you having a problem with?

As you pointed out, its his web site, I am sure there are plenty of others out there if you look.

Why not put an ad in the local paper looking for work, good luck with your job search.

Well said changilass, david throwing a hissy again, and stamping his foot [lol]

david
22-Mar-12, 00:10
Well said changilass, david throwing a hissy again, and stamping his foot [lol]

Not really Golach. Why can't niall make his pm to me public on his website.This website belongs to him after all.

golach
22-Mar-12, 00:12
Not really Golach. Why can't niall make his pm to me public on his website.This website belongs to him after all.

Tough its Nialls ball, his rules, like it....or lump it, I am with Niall

Kevin Milkins
22-Mar-12, 00:29
Many years ago I landed my first job by sending out letters to lots of potential employers, none of whom were advertising for staff, and I got nothing but positive feedback for my initiative. I agree that a person who has the desire to work and is not afraid to ask for it is the sort of person most employers would be interested in. Good luck to you!

I think it was Norman Tebbit's dad that suggested people "get on their bike" and look for work and I'm not against that principle either, however I do also appreciate how hard it is in the current labour market to get game-full employment.

Tilly Teckkel's experience of job search is a good example of pro active endeavor to find work and I would look favourably as a would be employer to anyone that took that approach.

I can understand David and his frustration, but I also understood the rules of the forum and thought it unwise to post a job wanted when I first saw the post and I'm not surprised that it was removed.

Nialls poor choice of words does surprise me, but he has given a full explanation and an apology. I fail to see how dragging this out will benefit David in the long term.

david
22-Mar-12, 00:43
I think it was Norman Tebbit's dad that suggested people "get on their bike" and look for work and I'm not against that principle either, however I do also appreciate how hard it is in the current labour market to get game-full employment.

Tilly Teckkel's experience of job search is a good example of pro active endeavor to find work and I would look favourably as a would be employer to anyone that took that approach.

I can understand David and his frustration, but I also understood the rules of the forum and thought it unwise to post a job wanted when I first saw the post and I'm not surprised that it was removed.

Nialls poor choice of words does surprise me, but he has given a full explanation and an apology. I fail to see how dragging this out will benefit David in the long term.

Nialls poor choice of words does not suprise me at all-cos he's basically thick, like them beggars looking for jobs. Full explanation and apology? Once again Niall-just post on here what you pmd me?

Phill
22-Mar-12, 01:04
Nialls poor choice of words does not suprise me at all-cos he's basically thick

Hmmmm.....

changilass
22-Mar-12, 01:05
If you are still looking for a job then I don't think you are doing yourself any favours, just let it go and concentrate your efforts on your job search.

theone
22-Mar-12, 01:09
Dry your eyes David.

Niall offered a well structured reply to your public questioning of something that was supposed to be a private matter. Hence the term "PM".

Were you asking for something (a job) from people who weren't forthcoming as a source of that thing (an employer)? Yes - And that is pretty close to the definition of a beggar. I admit, I wouldn't have used the term myself and I also admire your pro-active approach but Niall has addressed these issues.

Go to the "Job seekers" page and the first post (a sticky) clearly states "NO JOB WANTED ADVERTS ALLOWED".

You've either failed to read the rules or deliberately decided not to follow them. I don't know which it is, but, as someone who interviews people for jobs, you'd be off my list straight away.

To continue to fight "your case", especially in the way you are doing it, is quite frankly embarrasing and will do little for your employment prospects.

david
22-Mar-12, 01:18
Dry your eyes David.

Niall offered a well structured reply to your public questioning of something that was supposed to be a private matter. Hence the term "PM".

Were you asking for something (a job) from people who weren't forthcoming as a source of that thing (an employer)? Yes - And that is pretty close to the definition of a beggar. I admit, I wouldn't have used the term myself and I also admire your pro-active approach but Niall has addressed these issues.

Go to the "Job seekers" page and the first post (a sticky) clearly states "NO JOB WANTED ADVERTS ALLOWED".

You've either failed to read the rules or deliberately decided not to follow them. I don't know which it is, but, as someone who interviews people for jobs, you'd be off my list straight away.

To continue to fight "your case", especially in the way you are doing it, is quite frankly embarrasing and will do little for your employment prospects.

I'm not looking for a job- just post your pm to me on your site... Simple. For Niall that is.

linnie612
22-Mar-12, 01:27
I'm not looking for a job- just post your pm to me on your site... Simple. For Niall that is.

I am at a loss to understand what you are trying to achieve.

david
22-Mar-12, 01:35
I am at a loss to understand what you are trying to achieve.

I give up, it seems its okay to see job seekers as beggars. Now Niall your pm to me? Posting of? I beg you.

linnie612
22-Mar-12, 01:38
No, seriously, what do you hope to achieve?

theone
22-Mar-12, 01:39

I don't get your point?

You're not looking for a job? What do you mean? Were you just posting a "job wanted" advert (against the website rules) to somehow fool the benefits office into thinking you were actively seeking work? Are you a benefits cheat?

If you want the power to remove posts from a forum, start your own and become the moderator! Easy!

Niall and others have built this site, and it has been a success. If you don't like the rules, click on the little red cross in the top corner and don't come back.

I don't doubt for a second that any prospective employer looking in here would immediately discount you as a potential good employee.

But maybe that's what you want?.............

david
22-Mar-12, 02:03
I don't get your point?

You're not looking for a job? What do you mean? Were you just posting a "job wanted" advert (against the website rules) to somehow fool the benefits office into thinking you were actively seeking work? Are you a benefits cheat?

If you want the power to remove posts from a forum, start your own and become the moderator! Easy!

Niall and others have built this site, and it has been a success. If you don't like the rules, click on the little red cross in the top corner and don't come back.

I don't doubt for a second that any prospective employer looking in here would immediately discount you as a potential good employee.

But maybe that's what you want?.............

You havent a clue what Iv done with my life..

theone
22-Mar-12, 02:09
You havent a clue what Iv done with my life..

Of course not.

And you mine.

But nothing you've posted on this thread has done you any favours.

Sit back, look at what you're trying to achieve, and see if the way you're presenting yourself is representative of that.

The problem with crusades is that the original intention is accidentaly lost in the passion and battle fever.

Phill
22-Mar-12, 07:57
Does anyone know when Tes....... The Jobcentre opens?

squidge
22-Mar-12, 08:13
Niall was tactless and insensitive.... Niall has never been known here for his sensitivity and his diplomacy. Whether he has these skills in real life I dont know. He does however run a damn good forum. Spec approaches to an employer DO work. Random ads placed on a website dont. There is a world of difference between a well constructed CV landing on an employers desk and a rambling post on a website that isnt even a dedicated jobs website. Time to move on i think.

Niall Fernie
22-Mar-12, 08:29
Just back from work and its nice to see I haven't missed anything :)

Thanks Squidge, you make my point on the "jobs wanted" posts perfectly. The personal comments are probably true from time to time as well :roll:

Jobseekers looking for employers might want to have a look at our Business Index (http://www.caithness-business.co.uk), select their chosen area of work and go through the company web sites. Quite a few of them, especially the bigger ones, advertise on their own site before anywhere else and their company news/twitter/facebook might also provide hints of upcoming contracts that might require new employees.

Phil, look here (http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=445) for opening times :) Anyway, open or closed it'll be bedtime for me soon...

Phill
22-Mar-12, 09:33
Just back from workCareful, you'll be getting accused of being insensitive next!!

Even Chance
22-Mar-12, 11:59
So who wants to employ David after this show then?????? Cant see many takers.......

Corrie 3
22-Mar-12, 12:02
So who wants to employ David after this show then?????? Cant see many takers.......
The Customer Service Desk at Tesco will take him...............I think he has the right skills for that!!

Btw, anyone know what time they open?

C3.....................:roll:;);)

laguna2
22-Mar-12, 15:34
Canna be bothered to tell you ... just go along and find out

;)

Rheghead
22-Mar-12, 15:46
David, have you tried Vestas or Siemens for a job? They were advertising in the Groat 2 weeks ago.

Corrie 3
22-Mar-12, 18:19
David, have you tried Vestas or Siemens for a job? They were advertising in the Groat 2 weeks ago.
David's not looking for a job Rheggy, he has made that very clear!!
And that is what makes this thread just a bit confusing!!

C3........................:eek::roll:

Alrock
22-Mar-12, 18:25
http://i.imgur.com/aiiUQ.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObZJN9zDtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2inSqo3Q3c

shazzap
22-Mar-12, 18:27
http://i.imgur.com/aiiUQ.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObZJN9zDtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2inSqo3Q3c

I remember that series. Ha ha.

Kevin Milkins
22-Mar-12, 23:56
And when someone finally gave Yosser a chance, they put him to drive a big boat which he crashed into an iceberg. :eek: It always ends in tears.:(:~(

Aaldtimer
23-Mar-12, 04:49
And when someone finally gave Yosser a chance, they put him to drive a big boat which he crashed into an iceberg. :eek: It always ends in tears.

Funny...I don't remember that episode!

I do remember the one when the police and SS came and took the kids...and the wee girl stuck the head on the social worker!

Heartbreaking stuff...Alan Bleasdale told it like it was in the Thatcher era![disgust]

Kevin Milkins
23-Mar-12, 07:39
Funny...I don't remember that episode!

Sorry Aaldtimer, that may have been a bit subtle.

Titanic - Smith Is Too Strong - YouTube (http://forum.caithness.org/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=titanic%20bernard%20hill&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbTR PyMGmoLc&ei=ahhsT67wA8bd8APSvZS_DQ&usg=AFQjCNHJckpsvqPt9n65Hn1ItZVj5bZd9A)

sheilapl
23-Mar-12, 09:12
I personally would have thought you were "offering your services" which is just the same as a job advert but in reverse.

I would prefer to employ someone who had the initiative to try to search for work rather than someone who has been sent along by the job centre as a tick to be fulfilled as part of seeking a job and keeping their benefits.

Pat never said a truer word I totally agree with this posting

Best wishes in finding some type of work, voluntary or otherwise.

never a true'r word Pat I would have thought this person has the initiative to try and get work where there are so many (not all ) who are happy to get money to lie back all day party at night and don't want to work, I know who would be the best employee

Thumper
23-Mar-12, 09:35
Nowadays the jobcentre do make you apply for anything and everything,they also expect you to show proof of at least 3 steps every week that you make to find employment,they expect things like phoning employers every week to see if they have any vacancies,which usually results in you spending money to phone around and at best get told sorry no jobs,and at worst(and this happens all the time0 the phone is just hung up,not that I can blame prospective employers really,it must be very annoying having lots of phone calls day after day asking for work,although it may actually make a space for a new employee just to answer those calls! So yes in a way we are beggars,if we dont do it we can risk getting our benefits cut or taken away,so damned if you do,damned if you dont yet again! I am lucky and have eventually found empolyment,but it took years and made my self worth go to an all time low! x

Southern-Gal
23-Mar-12, 22:27
Begging means trying to get something for nothing. Working for money is not begging, you are offering a service for money - a fair exchange.
Simple as that :)

Alrock
23-Mar-12, 22:35
you are offering a service for money - a fair exchange.
Simple as that :)

OK... Prostitution then...

katarina
24-Mar-12, 12:17
begging for a job? What's wrong with that? And there's plenty of voluntary work. Okay, doesn't pay, but it dores look willing on your CV. I'd rather employ someone who was willing to do voluntary work than someone who was willing to just lie around.

Alrock
24-Mar-12, 12:26
And there's plenty of voluntary work. Okay, doesn't pay, but it dores look willing on your CV. I'd rather employ someone who was willing to do voluntary work than someone who was willing to just lie around.

Is there really 2.67 million voluntary jobs out there... I don't think so somehow... If every unemployed person wanted to do voluntary work then it would become just as hard as finding a real job...

Thumper
24-Mar-12, 14:00
I did and still do voluntary work,and all I got from the jobcentre was hassle for doing it! Its ok if they put you somewhere but god help you actually getting off your butt and getting your own,I even had to get the MD from down south to write a letter saying I was doing it unpaid,and it still caused me trouble x

Alrock
24-Mar-12, 14:52
I did and still do voluntary work,and all I got from the jobcentre was hassle for doing it!

Ditto here... You'd think that they would at least stop hassling you so much since you are at least doing something (they do in many other countries), but no... they treat you with the same contempt that they treat everybody else, even questioning whether your voluntary work is getting in the way of your job hunting...

Thumper
24-Mar-12, 16:40
Ditto here... You'd think that they would at least stop hassling you so much since you are at least doing something (they do in many other countries), but no... they treat you with the same contempt that they treat everybody else, even questioning whether your voluntary work is getting in the way of your job hunting...

Yip totally agree with you there,but yet the person next to me was sitting there demanding a later sign on time,so they didnt have to get up early and was given it!Disgusting x

Big Gaz
25-Mar-12, 02:12
i started a part-time welding course, 15 3/4 hours a week (tues & thurs) and those hours were specifically set so as not to interfere with "availability for work" requirements......I was on that "6 month course" for a little over 9 weeks, had done all that was required from me and had completed the 6 required test pieces for the NVQ ticket. The tutor was impressed and said i had prospects and actually said there was nothing left for me to do on the course as i had done it all. Yet i had to quit the course and lost my NVQ ticket all because the dole said "i was not available for work".....

Back to the OP, whats the point in putting in a job advert "looking for work"? Just exactly how is any employer going to know you are genuine and positive about looking for work and haven't been forced to advertise by the job centre? In the few months since my business failed, i've been called filth, scum, scrounger, and worse all because i claim benefits! I do actually consider myself as a job-beggar as i am actively asking and looking for work and im left with bills and more to pay....not easy on £67.50 a week! In all my working life i have claimed benefits for a little over 2 years in total, which im fully entitled to it as i've paid my stamp, yet the JC say i have to jump and do tricks to get it....bit of a catch 22 if you ask me....End of the day if theres a job for me, i'll get it but until then i will do what is necessary to land that job, begging included!. and i really dont care if im called a job beggar....as i said, i've been called worse....

Alrock
25-Mar-12, 02:50
i started a part-time welding course, 15 3/4 hours a week (tues & thurs) and those hours were specifically set so as not to interfere with "availability for work" requirements......I was on that "6 month course" for a little over 9 weeks, had done all that was required from me and had completed the 6 required test pieces for the NVQ ticket. The tutor was impressed and said i had prospects and actually said there was nothing left for me to do on the course as i had done it all. Yet i had to quit the course and lost my NVQ ticket all because the dole said "i was not available for work".....

Reminds me of when I was doing an HNC in Electronics part time whilst signing on, Job Centre had no problem with that.... About half way through the course I moved, different Job Centre, made to quit the course immediately or my money was being stopped.

nikkinurse
29-Mar-12, 21:13
iam one of these so called beggers looking for work so if you know of anything mr fernie give me a call on 07851188955

pat
30-Mar-12, 08:12
nikkinurse
Hope you manage to find paid work to your liking soon.

nikkinurse
10-Sep-15, 23:03
I am looking for work I am a registered clerk of works construction and civil with a safety qualification IOSH my contact number is 07851188955 and not a beggar Mr fernie

Dadie
10-Sep-15, 23:57
I am dipping my toe into trying for paid employment after having a break to bring up the children up to school age.
It is a bit scary as I have never signed on as I have had my hubby supporting me...
I have had a good work ethic with always turning up on time and low to negligible sick leave and completing the work to the clients satisfaction , but as being specialised in one sector its not great to get work-family life balance for flexible hours or to retrain as something else (which is cost prohibitive).
I have a childcare plan set out for going back to work etc.....just need the work to bring the plan to reality!

weeker2014
11-Sep-15, 00:11
On advertising jobs. I advertised posts through the org and the thread was removed by Bill with no explanation. Simply that they had decided not to show it. As a result I just advertised elsewhere and got 10 very willing and able people to fill the positions who are doing great. The org isn't the be all and end all and they are very often wrong in their decisions.

Kevin Milkins
11-Sep-15, 08:20
That wouldn't necessarily be the case for everyone, if I was considering redecorating the house (for instance) and someone with the suitable skills where advertising themselves available to undertake the work that I am needing done, then I would probably interview them for the job.

Kevin Milkins
11-Sep-15, 10:56
I just noticed that this thread is over three years old and replied after reading the first page. I think I must have Alzheimer’s setting in as I do not remember this thread or replying to it in the past.:confused

pat
11-Sep-15, 15:06
Kevin,
what you have is

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/12003963_3992592317511724_8445618574367725134_n.jp g?oh=cd6bd516238627a95259659dcfe694eb&oe=56A5C3FB

but best wishes for anyone looking for work - it is very very difficult.

nikkinurse
11-Sep-15, 21:56
I remember his son in law coming into the estate agents looking for work Ariel photography