PDA

View Full Version : Here's my UK budget 2012 highlights.

RecQuery
21-Mar-12, 15:05
Can people not support their own kids on less than £50K-£60K? Taking little Tarquin out of his private school might help.
Why didn't they remove the VAT on electronic books.
There's a surprise childfree single people and couples get nothing out of this budget beyond so nebulous stamp duty thing that doesn't really apply.
‎"Hhhhhnnnnnnyeaaaarrrggggghhhhh" - All backbenchers seem to be able to say, they must all be drunk.
Trying to make people believe the rich are being hard done by, by this budget. The lady doth protest too much.

EDIT: Obviously there were other points, but I heard about those when they accidentally leaked.

mi16
21-Mar-12, 15:18
Increase on ciggie duty = good.
Increase on personal allowance = good.
Backstep on child benefit = good.

Phill
21-Mar-12, 18:00
Can people not support their own kids on less than £50K-£60K? Taking little Tarquin out of his private school might help.

Don't forget the stable fees for Portia's pony!

Corrie 3
21-Mar-12, 22:58
According to Doanilsins Diary, John Thurso is quoted as saying the Tory/LibDem budget will bring jobs to the far North!!!
Really? ............ I can't wait to see them flooding in and our Job Seekers are non-existant!!
C'mon Mr. Thurso, you are really sounding like a Tory now, treating us all like idiots. We all know that this budget will do nothing for the far North.
And I still say the LibDems are finished as a party, the voters won't let you get away with what you have done !!

C3...............[disgust]

Phill
21-Mar-12, 23:01
We all know that this budget will do nothing for the far North.
With all the Champagne Hoorays having to stump up 15% on their wee hooses in the big city they'll probably start buying estates up 'ere instead and taking on staff to wipe their arses.

ducati
21-Mar-12, 23:44
. We all know that this budget will do nothing for the far North.

Really? In an area where a lot of people work part time and/or are on min wage or close to it, the increase in personal allowance will do a great deal to put more money in the pockets of the shoppers. This will boost business.

What were you expecting?

John Little
22-Mar-12, 09:14
Cancellation of the upcoming rise in fuel duty to keep the already sky-high prices of petrol and diesel down?

That is driving business out of business and making exports less profitable.

Alrock
22-Mar-12, 09:22
What were you expecting?

An admission that under the current climate high levels of unemployment are to expected therefore for the vast majority of the unemployed it is not their own fault & subsequently an increase in benefits to reflect this.

Phill
22-Mar-12, 09:28
So when unemployment increases, increase the benefits. That makes fiscal sense! :confused
And helps prevent the benefit trap of not being able to afford to go to work, not.

Alrock
22-Mar-12, 09:34
So when unemployment increases, increase the benefits. That makes fiscal sense! :confused
And helps prevent the benefit trap of not being able to afford to go to work, not.

We're talking about peoples lives here... Fairness here is far more important than fiscal sense...
The disabled get a higher level because it is "not their fault" so should not the unemployed?
Besides, might actually make the Government concentrate a bit more on job creation rather than pandering to the already well off.

John Little
22-Mar-12, 09:57

Yes it does - but with strings.

Putting money into peoples' pockets increases consumer demand which stimulates the economy.

But it should not be a straight give-away. Roosevelt in the 30s set up agencies to give people money - in return for work. Sweeping snow, picking up litter, digging out ditches, cutting verges.

All those wee jobs that a community needs. But never get done.

But it should not be done through access to work through private companies but direct intervention by a Ministry of Labour.

Phill
22-Mar-12, 10:12
But it should not be a straight give-away. Roosevelt in the 30s set up agencies to give people money - in return for work. Sweeping snow, picking up litter, digging out ditches, cutting verges.
You'll have people screaming about their rights and crying about workhouses!!

A VAT cut would have been a good foot forward.

John Little
22-Mar-12, 10:21
You'll have people screaming about their rights and crying about workhouses!!

A VAT cut would have been a good foot forward.

No doubt but we have lost sight of the basic thought that money should, unless health or disability or age disallow, be earned. Then benefit becomes a wage. Not a hand out but an earned remuneration.

This mentality of holding out your hand for money as a right was warned against repeatedly back in 1910!

I see nothing wrong with a decently run public works scheme. There is work that needs to be done. and plenty of it.

But you are right; a VAT cut would have helped.

ducati
22-Mar-12, 10:32
In response to the Budget Mr Salmond said big capital projects are needed to boost the Scottish Economy.

Which Cookoo's cloud is in on now?

Corrie 3
22-Mar-12, 10:46
Really? In an area where a lot of people work part time and/or are on min wage or close to it, the increase in personal allowance will do a great deal to put more money in the pockets of the shoppers. This will boost business.

What were you expecting?
It is well known that it is Clegg's biggest wish to take the income tax starting point to £10000, if that is so dear to him why the hell didn't he force the Tories to do it. He is in the ideal position to push through his wishes but he just isn't showing any teeth!!
And I don't think £200-£300 a year in tax relief will make anyone up here better off, that will be swallowed up in higher fuel, food and trying to keep warm!
Anyway, I am going to get my name down for one of these many jobs in the far North that Thurso has promised!!!

Pathetic !!

C3................[disgust]

squidge
22-Mar-12, 10:51
In the 80s and early 90s they did exactly that. The community Programme provided either a year or Six months work for those who were long term unemployed. Much of it was manual work but there were supervisors and trainers, community workers, arts staff and others. It was popular in some ways and not in others in around 1987 it was paying £68 for 30 hours work and the paticipants had access to in work benefits, housing benefit, FIS as it was then called (tax credits). Even then it wasnt a great wage although when there were security jobs being offered for 1.80 an hour ( must have own dog) it wasnt bad. It also offered job search and the idea was that it would give people up to date work experience and references and that it is easier to get a job when you are in a job. It was to be truthful of varying quality but in those horrible days it offered work and people queued up for it. It was funded by central government i think although im not sure. Councils and volutary agencies ran projects and many things were done which wouldnt otherwise have been done. In an area of high unemployment and many ex textile mill workers it was often the only option for work.

Phill
22-Mar-12, 11:12
take the income tax starting point to £10000
Yes, they should have had a bigger run at the banks and gone for the £10K allowance from this April.

RecQuery
22-Mar-12, 11:37
I've debated the idea of setting personal tax allowance at minimum wage worked 40 hours a week for a year. Basically meaning that someone on minimum won't get charged any income tax if they work an average full time working week. Not sure if that would be possible or not. Also any quantitative easing should go to the public (would work out at about £15K a person) and not to banks so that they can just buy the debt of other banks freeing them up to make more bad decisions and not stimulate the economy at all.

I do find it kind of galling that the coalition have back slapped Obama and the US for their economic policy but then do the opposite.

The child tax credit level still annoys me also.

Rheghead
22-Mar-12, 14:48
According to Doanilsins Diary, John Thurso is quoted as saying the Tory/LibDem budget will bring jobs to the far North!!!
Really? ............ I can't wait to see them flooding in and our Job Seekers are non-existant!!
C'mon Mr. Thurso, you are really sounding like a Tory now, treating us all like idiots. We all know that this budget will do nothing for the far North.
And I still say the LibDems are finished as a party, the voters won't let you get away with what you have done !!

He is a tory. Just look at his voting record and compare to how tories vote. He is only a LibDem in name just to fulfil his grandfather's legacy.

squidge
22-Mar-12, 16:25
The tax allowance threshold being raised is a good thing but at £4 or thereabouts a week isnt going to make a whole lot of difference - better in our pockets though. The 3 million odd people who work part time and earn less than the tax allowance wont be any better off which would be ok if the Government werent changing the tax credits rules to take many of those with families who work between 16 and 24 hours out of tax credits.
Currently you get tax credits if you work 16 hours or more but from april you will need to work 24 hours or more to get tax credits and if you cant get the extra hours your only option is JSA. This is just mad.

In addition if your income drops now you can phone the tax credit people and they will change your rate of tax credits. From April they will only do that if your income drops by more than £2500. This means that if you are a family you might lose £40 a week and have to manage because they wont reasses your tax credits in the middle of an award. They WILL take the reduction into account from the following year but if your income reduces in May that wont apply til the following April. £40 a week is a massive amount to lose if you are only earning minimum wage. I dont understand either of these rule changes. Both of these changes may very well force people to give up their jobs because they will be better off on benefits. How can this be a sensible way to proceed?

Whilst I accept that budget constraints need to be made once again it appears the lowest earners in society are paying the price and we havent even started talking about pensioners - to do this whilst making a present of tax deductions for higher rate tax payers is copmpletely unfair. I am however glad to see he said he would do something about tax avoidance and I wait with anticipation to find out what.

tonkatojo
22-Mar-12, 16:40
The millionaires and well off will sleep well tonight in the knowledge once again the torys aided and abetted by by the libdems are looking after them in traditional ways, pity the pensioners who it would appear are financing the 50p to 45p let off will not. Yes they are getting an increase in pension but that barely covers the inflation they have endured. But fear not what goes around comes around and the toffs will have to stay put in their piles so as to not pay any land duty taxes so where is the retribution for all of their tax dodging ?, the accountants will be looking for more back door loopholes to help them out and the torys will huff and puff and give a wry smile no doubt. ducati will still defend them without any shame or remorse being in tow with scoundrels that are governing us no doubt.

weezer 316
22-Mar-12, 16:44
It is well known that it is Clegg's biggest wish to take the income tax starting point to £10000, if that is so dear to him why the hell didn't he force the Tories to do it. He is in the ideal position to push through his wishes but he just isn't showing any teeth!!
And I don't think £200-£300 a year in tax relief will make anyone up here better off, that will be swallowed up in higher fuel, food and trying to keep warm!
Anyway, I am going to get my name down for one of these many jobs in the far North that Thurso has promised!!!

Pathetic !!

C3................[disgust]

I think I seen something like a £3 billion tax break for deveoping new fields off West Shetland. Does this qualify seeing as it was the single largest incentive given in the budget and is practically right on our doorstep? And whats Eck doing also along these lines?

I think he did OK. IM not a fan of raising the tax allowance but then thats just me. The measures on tax avoidance (whihc yuo bunch call for every other post) were there so why dont you congratulate him on bringing them in? OH wait I know why, because hes a tory!

Corrie, your a hypocrite and thats a fact

weezer 316
22-Mar-12, 16:49
The millionaires and well off will sleep well tonight in the knowledge once again the torys aided and abetted by by the libdems are looking after them in traditional ways, pity the pensioners who it would appear are financing the 50p to 45p let off will not. Yes they are getting an increase in pension but that barely covers the inflation they have endured. But fear not what goes around comes around and the toffs will have to stay put in their piles so as to not pay any land duty taxes so where is the retribution for all of their tax dodging ?, the accountants will be looking for more back door loopholes to help them out and the torys will huff and puff and give a wry smile no doubt. ducati will still defend them without any shame or remorse being in tow with scoundrels that are governing us no doubt.

Oh please.........

What should he have done?

tonkatojo
22-Mar-12, 16:54
Oh please.........

What should he have done?

Work it out, your smart (arn't you) or ask ducati if your stuck. But typical tory attack the weakest in society and defend the rich, once a tory blah blah.

tonkatojo
22-Mar-12, 17:01
I suppose the folk unemployed can sleep well knowing in the following weeks there will magically appear a couple of million jobs hopefully above the minimum wage going for all, now the well off have more to spend, yeah yeah. Well the wine wholesaler will be laughing no doubt, I wonder how many jobs will be created delivering to the toffs that now have a small fortune to spend on their jollys.

RecQuery
22-Mar-12, 17:10
I think I seen something like a £3 billion tax break for deveoping new fields off West Shetland. Does this qualify seeing as it was the single largest incentive given in the budget and is practically right on our doorstep? And whats Eck doing also along these lines?

I think he did OK. IM not a fan of raising the tax allowance but then thats just me. The measures on tax avoidance (whihc yuo bunch call for every other post) were there so why dont you congratulate him on bringing them in? OH wait I know why, because hes a tory!

I do like the avoidance measure and a few other things he announced designed to deal with the dodgy tactics assuming it gets enacted, it's not law yet. He's just given the go ahead for it to be drafted. I like the tax breaks given to gaming companies. I wish he had cut child benefit more. I also have no problem with the pensioners tax allowance freeze but that's a different debate.

There are parts of this budget that strike me as pre-empting the independence debate, trying to give themselves some ammunition and to counter balance the tax imposed on oil companies.

ducati
22-Mar-12, 17:29
I suppose the folk unemployed can sleep well knowing in the following weeks there will magically appear a couple of million jobs hopefully above the minimum wage going for all, now the well off have more to spend, yeah yeah. Well the wine wholesaler will be laughing no doubt, I wonder how many jobs will be created delivering to the toffs that now have a small fortune to spend on their jollys.

I'm afraid it is the nature of the world that the jobs being created are for more highly qualified workers. So no, not really min. wage types. More incentive for the new generation at School to apply themselves I guess.

Some good news for Scotland (and Cumbria) with GSK investing in new R & D and Manufacturing. Apparently, as a direct result of Tax restructuring in the budget. (Presumably discussed in advance or a surprisingly quick decision).

Any good?

Corrie 3
22-Mar-12, 17:53
I think you are getting me mixed up with the Tories weeze !! They are the biggest hypocrites going........ make no mistake !!!!!
You are quite unique though weeze, you are a poor Tory and there aren't that many of those about!!!

C3...............;)

Rheghead
22-Mar-12, 18:03
(and Cumbria)
Any good?

Yes for the tories, the Barrow and Furness constituency is a key marginal parliamentary seat for them.

weezer 316
22-Mar-12, 19:02

And the hypocrisy of your argument is laid bare!

You seem to be attacking the trickle down effect there. I assume you will put similair energies into protesting the poor children of nicaragua who cna the coke you drink, or the bangladeshis who subsist in $1 a day and work 14 hours for that measly dollar so you can have nice shoes? What about the TV tour watching? Likely constructed by some guy in Vietnam who lives in 1 room with 5 other members of his family without running water and pees into a hol ein the ground. And thats before i mention your clothes/car etc.

YOU are one of the rich yet are fine when your benefitting clearly. i dont see you asking for more tax for you so they can help these poor unfortunates that spend their existences in pitiful surroundings "delivering to the toffs that now have a small fortune to spend on their jollys" like you in the west do I?

Now can I ask why your not demanding more tax please?

weezer 316
22-Mar-12, 19:04
I do like the avoidance measure and a few other things he announced designed to deal with the dodgy tactics assuming it gets enacted, it's not law yet. He's just given the go ahead for it to be drafted. I like the tax breaks given to gaming companies. I wish he had cut child benefit more. I also have no problem with the pensioners tax allowance freeze but that's a different debate.

There are parts of this budget that strike me as pre-empting the independence debate, trying to give themselves some ammunition and to counter balance the tax imposed on oil companies.

Well at least you will admit it. Some on this forum woudlnt thank george osbourne if he ran into a burning building to save their children on the account that hes a tory. and that petty attitude is far more destructive than just about any policy.

weezer 316
22-Mar-12, 19:05
I think you are getting me mixed up with the Tories weeze !! They are the biggest hypocrites going........ make no mistake !!!!!
You are quite unique though weeze, you are a poor Tory and there aren't that many of those about!!!

C3...............;)

No comment of the £3bn tax break for comapanies that develop west of shetland no? Could create tens of thousands of jobs.

Corrie 3
22-Mar-12, 19:29
No comment of the £3bn tax break for comapanies that develop west of shetland no? Could create tens of thousands of jobs.
Oh weeze, you do talk silly at times! Do you think there are tens of thousands of people with oil experience just waiting for George to give BP a tax break? Anyone worth his salt in the oil business will already be employed!! So where do you think these tens of thousands of experienced oil workers are going to come from..... pray tell me?

C3..............:roll::roll:

weezer 316
22-Mar-12, 19:37
Oh weeze, you do talk silly at times! Do you think there are tens of thousands of people with oil experience just waiting for George to give BP a tax break? Anyone worth his salt in the oil business will already be employed!! So where do you think these tens of thousands of experienced oil workers are going to come from..... pray tell me?

C3..............:roll::roll:

Weeeeeeelll....assuming the exploration takes place........I dunno. I suppose universities and people like instrument mechanics and the like that are currently not offshore.....as well as people still at school......you know, the next generation, or maybe even people like me going in via the likes of optico....seeing as its not going to happen overnight!

Now is that a plausable answer??

And do I have to be a short sighted as you to join the SNP or will they let anyone in?

Corrie 3
22-Mar-12, 20:00
Weeeeeeelll....assuming the exploration takes place........I dunno. I suppose universities and people like instrument mechanics and the like that are currently not offshore.....as well as people still at school......you know, the next generation, or maybe even people like me going in via the likes of optico....seeing as its not going to happen overnight!

Now is that a plausable answer??

And do I have to be a short sighted as you to join the SNP or will they let anyone in?
It was only in the news this week that engineering companies cant get welders for a start, they are having to recruit form Poland. And that is only one trade, how many more trades are short of people? We should be spending this time now, and a whole lot of money, to train people up and bring back apprentice schemes instead of paying people to lie in bed everyday!
As for the other, I think the SNP would overlook the fact that you are a Toryboy!!!

C3...............:roll:;)

ducati
22-Mar-12, 20:09
It was only in the news this week that engineering companies cant get welders for a start, they are having to recruit form Poland. And that is only one trade, how many more trades are short of people? We should be spending this time now, and a whole lot of money, to train people up and bring back apprentice schemes instead of paying people to lie in bed everyday!
As for the other, I think the SNP would overlook the fact that you are a Toryboy!!!

C3..............

If we do not have the skills we need now, it is because the schools, colleges and Universities are not doing their job.

All institutions that resist change to their last breath, and almost all, Union ridden socialist hot beds! [disgust]

BTW, I learned to weld at school, doesn't everybody?

And finally, the oil industry is always cronically short of skilled workers. It relies on different parts of the world being busy at different times. Just now (because of the very high oil prices) everywhere is busy.

It is the oil industry's fault, not the government's

Blimey, that was a bit of a rant. [lol]

ducati
22-Mar-12, 20:23
Yes for the tories, the Barrow and Furness constituency is a key marginal parliamentary seat for them.

Oh that's good, it'll give 'em somewhere to build new surface ships when the Clyde no longer qualifies.

Alrock
22-Mar-12, 20:28
BTW, I learned to weld at school, doesn't everybody?

Nope.... Would you trust today's kids with a tool capable of serious eye damage?

I'm a time served fitter & even I didn't learn welding, that was a job for the Welders.

Corrie 3
22-Mar-12, 20:40
Lol Duke, gas welding a bit of tin plate in the metalwork lessons hardly qualifies you to string a pipeline together!! ;)

C3.............:roll:;)

ducati
22-Mar-12, 20:46
Nope.... Would you trust today's kids with a tool capable of serious eye damage?

I'm a time served fitter & even I didn't learn welding, that was a job for the Welders.

Well it ain't rocket science but does require patience and practice. The Northern college runs courses every term to get you started but the engineering companies need to start apprentices if they want the skills for the future.

ducati
22-Mar-12, 20:49
Lol Duke, gas welding a bit of tin plate in the metalwork lessons hardly qualifies you to string a pipeline together!! ;)

C3.............:roll:;)

Of course not, read the next post. But the principle is the same. I learned ARC (Stick welding) but having understood the object of the exercise, taught myself Gas and MIG welding.

Rheghead
22-Mar-12, 21:51
10,000 jobs? Yes but how many careers will be made? That is the important thing, I just wish politicians would say how many.

squidge
22-Mar-12, 23:24
Well it ain't rocket science but does require patience and practice. The Northern college runs courses every term to get you started but the engineering companies need to start apprentices if they want the skills for the future.They are doing, global were advertising just recently for apprentice posts at Nigg. My eldest lad is a T/S welder and did his time with Isleburn (now part of Global). They were great with him. Good training on the job and through Inverness College, patient and understanding especially when he struggled with being week to week under notice of redundancy a couple of years ago. The company weathered that patch and stuck with My lad who found the week to week thing very hard. He jacked it in at one stage and they persuaded him not to leave. He stayed and finished his time and is still there. They have told me he is one of there top welders and he works hard. The commitment they gave to him was excellent and the programne was a Scottish Government funded programme as are the recently advertised posts. More of these please please please.

tonkatojo
23-Mar-12, 11:15
I'm afraid it is the nature of the world that the jobs being created are for more highly qualified workers. So no, not really min. wage types. More incentive for the new generation at School to apply themselves I guess.

Some good news for Scotland (and Cumbria) with GSK investing in new R & D and Manufacturing. Apparently, as a direct result of Tax restructuring in the budget. (Presumably discussed in advance or a surprisingly quick decision).
Any good?

Well it looks like a long ride for you to pay homage in Troon in the near future.

tonkatojo
23-Mar-12, 11:19
And the hypocrisy of your argument is laid bare!

You seem to be attacking the trickle down effect there. I assume you will put similair energies into protesting the poor children of nicaragua who cna the coke you drink, or the bangladeshis who subsist in $1 a day and work 14 hours for that measly dollar so you can have nice shoes? What about the TV tour watching? Likely constructed by some guy in Vietnam who lives in 1 room with 5 other members of his family without running water and pees into a hol ein the ground. And thats before i mention your clothes/car etc.

YOU are one of the rich yet are fine when your benefitting clearly. i dont see you asking for more tax for you so they can help these poor unfortunates that spend their existences in pitiful surroundings "delivering to the toffs that now have a small fortune to spend on their jollys" like you in the west do I?

Now can I ask why your not demanding more tax please?

The simple answer is I am not daft, and definitely not tory. By the way are you from or living in South America ?, I am not.

Corrie 3
23-Mar-12, 11:41
They are doing, global were advertising just recently for apprentice posts at Nigg. My eldest lad is a T/S welder and did his time with Isleburn (now part of Global). They were great with him. Good training on the job and through Inverness College, patient and understanding especially when he struggled with being week to week under notice of redundancy a couple of years ago. The company weathered that patch and stuck with My lad who found the week to week thing very hard. He jacked it in at one stage and they persuaded him not to leave. He stayed and finished his time and is still there. They have told me he is one of there top welders and he works hard. The commitment they gave to him was excellent and the programne was a Scottish Government funded programme as are the recently advertised posts. More of these please please please.

Good to hear things are going well at Nigg,really pleased for your Son Squidge. More like this would be brilliant!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-17486711

C3...............;)

Corrie 3
23-Mar-12, 11:44
And more good news on the jobs and training front!!

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/News/Power-giant-creates-50-jobs-in-Inverness-22032012.htm

C3..............:)

John Little
23-Mar-12, 11:48
And more good news on the jobs and training front!!

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/News/Power-giant-creates-50-jobs-in-Inverness-22032012.htm

C3..............:)

Dinna fash yersel C3.

Since there are plans to build at least 8 new nuclear power stations in England, I have nae doot that a lot of the Atomicers round Caithness will be heading south with an eye to their careers before too many years have gone by.

I could end up with some of them as neighbours since Hinckley Point is not that far from here...

RecQuery
23-Mar-12, 11:51
Dinna fash yersel C3.

Since there are plans to build at least 8 new nuclear power stations in England, I have nae doot that a lot of the Atomicers round Caithness will be heading south with an eye to their careers before too many years have gone by.

I could end up with some of them as neighbours since Hinckley Point is not that far from here...

There's a surprise Scottish people having to move to England because of a lack of economic investment or development. Never head that one before.

John Little
23-Mar-12, 12:07
C'mon Req- can't grumble at lack of nuclear jobs in Scotland.

Your lot don't want 'em!

RecQuery
23-Mar-12, 12:22
C'mon Req- can't grumble at lack of nuclear jobs in Scotland.

Your lot don't want 'em!

I'm just moaning about a lack in general due to chronic under investment because we have to just accept the money the UK government allocates to us.

John Little
23-Mar-12, 12:23
Aye - but apart from the South East that seems general.

RecQuery
23-Mar-12, 12:26
Aye - but apart from the South East that seems general.

I'd accept that in Wales and Northern Ireland but for the rest of England it's an internal political entity thing, because the UK government doesn't allocate money to the North of England it spends the money itself and it choose to spend that money in the South East due to a lack of political pressure perhaps or because they can safely ignore the North.

I'm sure the North of England is just as equally screwed but it's for slightly different reasons.

John Little
23-Mar-12, 12:35
I fear that you are sometimes too political.

The main reason why the South East gets so much favour is not because the government hates the Scots or the North but because of Geography.

With a tax regime favourable to foreign companies compared to that in much of the EU, locating near the Channel Tunnel is obvious to them.

We are located on the fringe of a large market.

In days of empire we were the centre of a large market.

So the South East wins out. Transport links, logistics, finance, proximity to Europe, facilities.

How do you change that?

tonkatojo
23-Mar-12, 12:40
I'd accept that in Wales and Northern Ireland but for the rest of England it's an internal political entity thing, because the UK government doesn't allocate money to the North of England it spends the money itself and it choose to spend that money in the South East due to a lack of political pressure perhaps or because they can safely ignore the North.

I'm sure the North of England is just as equally screwed but it's for slightly different reasons.

As a Geordie currently living there I know all to well of the North South divide, until the power or draw of London is broken all but the south can expect nowt but the status quo. I do not understand what the attraction of London is, why should it be a taboo not to move financial services power bases to all parts of the UK and let the country as a whole be as well heeled as them, perhaps someone will explain to me. As for the regional pay restructuring being thought up by the current masters (condems) what are they after a civil war, the regions are depressed enough.

tonkatojo
23-Mar-12, 12:51

The main reason why the South East gets so much favour is not because the government hates the Scots or the North but because of Geography.

With a tax regime favourable to foreign companies compared to that in much of the EU, locating near the Channel Tunnel is obvious to them.

So the South East wins out. Transport links, logistics, finance, proximity to Europe, facilities.

How do you change that?

John it used to be the north manufactured the wealth and the South funded and reaped the wealth whilst growing the most food , now we manufacture only a small %age of the past, I know the unions did no favours to it all but surely in our plight the past should be forgotten and forgiven (even the Tory) and reopen the mines shipyards and heavy industries instead of importing everything, get the young into real apprenticeships with manufacturing. If the Japanese and Germans and others can do it why not us, the green argument should take a back seat other countries don't give a toss only us mugs.

RecQuery
23-Mar-12, 12:53

How do you change that?

The UK is one of the most centralised countries in the world (1 (http://www.economist.com/node/16791650), 2 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8690882.stm), 3 (http://www.communities.gov.uk/speeches/newsroom/growingbigsociety)] and that's a major problem in my opinion, urban sprawl and lack of resources and space, one big target, all your eggs in one basket. Lots of it can be traced back to World War 2 - obviously it was around before then - but surely we've moved past that. The thing is the South East is heavily subsidised in places but we never hear about it, we only here about what other parts of the country get.

There was a proposal recently for Wales, Scotland and the North of England to pipeline all of their surplus water down to the South East. I thought to myself great but only in the South East pipelines some of its industry to other parts of the country.

In theory the coalition should be in favour of this based on their ethos and statements, just waiting for it to happen.

John Little
23-Mar-12, 13:23
John it used to be the north manufactured the wealth and the South funded and reaped the wealth whilst growing the most food , now we manufacture only a small %age of the past, I know the unions did no favours to it all but surely in our plight the past should be forgotten and forgiven (even the Tory) and reopen the mines shipyards and heavy industries instead of importing everything, get the young into real apprenticeships with manufacturing. If the Japanese and Germans and others can do it why not us, the green argument should take a back seat other countries don't give a toss only us mugs.

Now there you have it.

Manufacturing - and if the Japanese can do it with few natural resources, then why can't we?

Who once led the world in ... manufacturing.

That would do it.

(And Scotland sits on 600 years reserves of coal...)

RecQuery
23-Mar-12, 14:16
Now there you have it.

Manufacturing - and if the Japanese can do it with few natural resources, then why can't we?

Who once led the world in ... manufacturing.

That would do it.

(And Scotland sits on 600 years reserves of coal...)

More manufacturing is a good idea, though some people look on it as a panacea or with undue nostalgia we need diversified industries and manufacturing should make up a chunk of that. I'm reminded of the character Frank Sobotka from the Wire "We used to make s*** in this country, build s***. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket".

On the subject of Japan they haven't had any economic growth in about 10, which isn't a bad thing. Politicians and Ppundits seem to fetishise constant growth in the west. The UK and US especially.

ducati
24-Mar-12, 07:49
They are doing, global were advertising just recently for apprentice posts at Nigg. My eldest lad is a T/S welder and did his time with Isleburn (now part of Global). They were great with him. Good training on the job and through Inverness College, patient and understanding especially when he struggled with being week to week under notice of redundancy a couple of years ago. The company weathered that patch and stuck with My lad who found the week to week thing very hard. He jacked it in at one stage and they persuaded him not to leave. He stayed and finished his time and is still there. They have told me he is one of there top welders and he works hard. The commitment they gave to him was excellent and the programne was a Scottish Government funded programme as are the recently advertised posts. More of these please please please.

I agree, there are more oportunities recently, but why are firms not prepared to invest in their own future? All the schemes only seem to materialise when there is somekind of government handout attached.

John Little
24-Mar-12, 08:20
More manufacturing is a good idea, though some people look on it as a panacea or with undue nostalgia we need diversified industries and manufacturing should make up a chunk of that.

Makes you think though.

Scotland has nuclear people who lead the world.- and will ditch the nuclear industry.

Scotland has all the fossil fuel she could ever need for most of the next millennium- and will not use it because clean ways of doing so have not been devised.

tonkatojo
24-Mar-12, 10:59
I agree, there are more oportunities recently, but why are firms not prepared to invest in their own future? All the schemes only seem to materialise when there is somekind of government handout attached.

Come on wake up and smell the coffee, the tory backers/owners of most of the big firms have realised wait long enough and a tory government will come along and give handouts left right and centre.

tonkatojo
24-Mar-12, 11:07
Makes you think though.

Scotland has nuclear people who lead the world.- and will ditch the nuclear industry.

Scotland has all the fossil fuel she could ever need for most of the next millennium- and will not use it because clean ways of doing so have not been devised.

John it is not only the Scots that have the know how Windscale now Sellafield has been going yonks as well, it would appear the French are doing OK as well they even have the bulk of future contracts the rebuild our UK generator.
On the coal issue, it is sad we the UK are contentious for the planet while China and other huge nations just do their own thing and say sod it, time we did the same until all abide by the same rule as we are suffering and gaining nowt,as usual. By the way the mines that we lost produced the finest tradesmen and apprentices we ever had, joiners blacksmiths electricians to name a few.

ducati
24-Mar-12, 11:53
Come on wake up and smell the coffee, the tory backers/owners of most of the big firms have realised wait long enough and a tory government will come along and give handouts left right and centre.

It was Labour that set up the funding bodies.

tonkatojo
24-Mar-12, 14:08
It was Labour that set up the funding bodies.

Your right they are almost both sides of the same coin,but the torys just keep taking and taking no morals or scruples. The libdems have now thrown in with them so it is the country that is in plight until a party can come along and play fair.

ducati
24-Mar-12, 16:32
wait long enough and a tory government will come along and give handouts left right and centre.

the torys just keep taking and taking

Are you listening to yourself?

I get that you don't like Torys, but please, make your mind up why.

tonkatojo
24-Mar-12, 17:07
Are you listening to yourself?

I get that you don't like Torys, but please, make your mind up why.

I will predict you will have an even longer wait for your next tory government after the despicable actions of this one. Hows that for making my mind up, what's yours ?.

ducati
24-Mar-12, 20:37
I will predict you will have an even longer wait for your next tory government after the despicable actions of this one. Hows that for making my mind up, what's yours ?.

Despicable? I just don't agree.

I can't think of one example.

And in case you have forgotten, it ain't a Conservative government.

Corrie 3
24-Mar-12, 21:00

Yep Duke, it's been despicable...and dont try and blame it all on the LibDems, they just want their 5mins of fame and will pay the price for that!!!!

Picking on Teachers, Firemen, policemen, pensioners, the sick, the unemployed...do you want me to go on? When they start to pick on the rich, the tax evaders, the bankers, the domiciles and cut the MP's perks and wages, then you might get a few votes North of the Border, but not until!!

C3...............:roll::roll:

ducati
24-Mar-12, 21:09
Yep Duke, it's been despicable...and dont try and blame it all on the LibDems, they just want their 5mins of fame and will pay the price for that!!!!

Picking on Teachers, Firemen, policemen, pensioners, the sick, the unemployed...do you want me to go on? When they start to pick on the rich, the tax evaders, the bankers, the domiciles and cut the MP's perks and wages, then you might get a few votes North of the Border, but not until!!

C3...............:roll::roll:

Can you define 'picking on' I really want to understand what you and Tonky think they are doing and why.

Corrie 3
24-Mar-12, 21:12
Can you define 'picking on' I really want to understand what you and Tonky think they are doing and why.
Picking on = trying to cut down their standard of living!!! By foul means usually!!

C3.............[disgust]

ducati
24-Mar-12, 21:14
Picking on = trying to cut down their standard of living!!! By foul means usually!!

C3.............[disgust]

Come on C3, What have they done to Firemen for example or teachers or policemen? or anyone else on your list?

If you mean the public sector pay freeze, that is all the government spends money on. The government is spending too much money. It has to cut down, how else?

And have you seen private sector pay rises? No, We're all in this together!

Corrie 3
24-Mar-12, 21:39
And have you seen private sector pay rises? No, We're all in this together!
How about this one for starters Duke??????......http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/12/glaxosmithkline-chief-pay-andrew-witty Do you want me to find you many more like this Guy?
And the Govt cut police and fire jobs and rob teachers of their retirement, making them work until they are 70? Yes, we are all in this together ...my bum!!

C3.....................[disgust]

ducati
24-Mar-12, 21:50
How about this one for starters Duke??????......http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/12/glaxosmithkline-chief-pay-andrew-witty Do you want me to find you many more like this Guy?
And the Govt cut police and fire jobs and rob teachers of their retirement, making them work until they are 70? Yes, we are all in this together ...my bum!!

C3.....................[disgust]

Yes, unfortunately us private sector workers don't all run one of the worlds most successful companies.

So back to the real world..........

Have you heard all the discussions about people living longer, spending longer in retirement etc. Not being able to afford it etc. Or do you think they just make it up?

Not being fair (you like that).

I don't believe any policmen or Firefighters have been made redundant. So you presumably made that up.

Corrie 3
24-Mar-12, 21:54
And now the Tories are trying to get the LibDems and Labour to fight together against the SNP...How pathetic of them, they know they cant do it on their own.
They hate Labour, they hate the LibDems but are asking to join together to fight the SNP, I think that is bullying dont you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17486620

C3......................[disgust][disgust]

ducati
24-Mar-12, 21:59
No, it is the Unionist Parties Joining forces against the seperatists. They have all said they will do that for ages.

Quite a good speech BTW. The Scottish Conservative membership is showing a healthy increase I notice. I might join.

ducati
24-Mar-12, 22:00
And now the Tories are trying to get the LibDems and Labour to fight together against the SNP...How pathetic of them, they know they cant do it on their own.
They hate Labour, they hate the LibDems but are asking to join together to fight the SNP, I think that is bullying dont you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17486620

C3......................[disgust][disgust]

I think it is you doing all the hating.

Corrie 3
24-Mar-12, 22:12
I don't believe any policmen or Firefighters have been made redundant. So you presumably made that up.
1700 police jobs lost in the Met alone, even Boris admitted that but said that crime was down, thats why you read everyday about people getting shot, stabbed and robbed in London!!!!
Btw, private sector pay rises = 3% in 2011 while public ones were frozen. And if you want to go and join the Scottish Tories then go ahead, I am sure they would be happy at doubling their membership!!

C3.....................;)

secrets in symmetry
24-Mar-12, 22:25
The budget was a mixed bag in my opinion.

The lowering of the 50% tax rate to 45% was sensible - people who earn over £150K dodge straight income tax in a variety of ways, so it was mostly pointless. Perception is all important here, and the perception is that the UK is reducing taxes on high earners. J-George didn't reduce the rate to 40% - so he can do it again next year. :cool:

Reducing corporation tax is a good way to boost growth after a deep recession.

Raising the personal tax allowance is good. Low earners mustn't be screwed by the tax system. We owe this change to the LibDems. For once, their role in the coalition has been truly significant.

An amusing point is that people whose salaries are in the £50-60K tax bracket who have 8 kids will have a marginal tax rate greater than 100%! This is just an artefact of the way child benefit is being taken away from them, but it makes a good headline.

ducati
24-Mar-12, 22:43
1700 police jobs lost in the Met alone, even Boris admitted that but said that crime was down, thats why you read everyday about people getting shot, stabbed and robbed in London!!!!
Btw, private sector pay rises = 3% in 2011 while public ones were frozen. And if you want to go and join the Scottish Tories then go ahead, I am sure they would be happy at doubling their membership!!

C3.....................;)

Yes police numbers have fallen, as planned, to save money. Policemen, Firefighters retire and leave all the time, you can reduce numbers by managing recruitment, I was looking for evidence of 'picking on'. You make it sound like the government are targeting certain groups of workers in a vindictive way. Which is just barmy.

3% pay rises in the private sector? I don't know anyone in the private sector who has had, or is expecting a pay rise this year. So if that is the case than it certainly isn't universal.

Alan16
25-Mar-12, 07:26
Yes police numbers have fallen, as planned, to save money. Policemen, Firefighters retire and leave all the time, you can reduce numbers by managing recruitment...

I've heard people talk about this idea of "managing recruitment" and it seems like a strange thing to me as it always seems to be as a retort to the idea of redundancies: "We're not making anyone redundant, police numbers have dropped due to recruitment management" etc. Let's say, for example, because I don't have any idea of the real numbers, that the police force hires on average two thousand people a year to replace those who have retired or whatnot. Now if you "manage recruitment" and decide to start only hiring one and a half thousand a year instead, is that not effectively the same as making five hundred redundancies in a year? Before there were two thousand available jobs, now there are fifteen hundred, which either way seems to me to result in five hundred people who would otherwise have had a job ten years ago or whatever now not having a job.

ducati
25-Mar-12, 09:50
I've heard people talk about this idea of "managing recruitment" and it seems like a strange thing to me as it always seems to be as a retort to the idea of redundancies: "We're not making anyone redundant, police numbers have dropped due to recruitment management" etc. Let's say, for example, because I don't have any idea of the real numbers, that the police force hires on average two thousand people a year to replace those who have retired or whatnot. Now if you "manage recruitment" and decide to start only hiring one and a half thousand a year instead, is that not effectively the same as making five hundred redundancies in a year? Before there were two thousand available jobs, now there are fifteen hundred, which either way seems to me to result in five hundred people who would otherwise have had a job ten years ago or whatever now not having a job.

Agreed the numbers of available vacancies reduces. But policemen are not being thrown out of work as some would have you believe.

BTW, I am reliably informed that 6 new policemen currently training will be doing their first 'stint' in Wick! So be nice to them. :D

tonkatojo
25-Mar-12, 10:52

Tell that to Crudass LOL.

squidge
26-Mar-12, 12:22
So the conservatives set out their plan for "friends of the union". Shame they didnt register the domain name lol. www.friendsoftheunion.com

Enjoy lol

John Little
26-Mar-12, 13:02
My overwhelming impression of that article is, I'm afraid, that the author has a real attitude problem with regard to the elderly and infirm...

Also I am not a Tory but his smugness makes me want to punch him.

Corrie 3
26-Mar-12, 13:08
So the conservatives set out their plan for "friends of the union". Shame they didnt register the domain name lol. www.friendsoftheunion.com (http://www.friendsoftheunion.com)

Enjoy lol
Brilliant Squidge, had me laffin from start to finish, some of the comments were funny also.
John, I am old and infirm but I took no offence to this funny well written article!

C3.....................:lol::lol:

squidge
26-Mar-12, 13:50
Im sorry it offended you John. It is a satirical artical i think. It was more to do with the fact that they have nabbed the domain name to be honest lol

John Little
26-Mar-12, 16:45
Im sorry it offended you John. It is a satirical artical i think. It was more to do with the fact that they have nabbed the domain name to be honest lol

I am not offended Squidge - that's not the right word.

People read what they want to read, according to their dispositions. You are disposed towards the SNP and see a 'good' article which says basically what you wish to see.

I am not inclined either to the SNP or to the Tories but my reading of the article is different.

I see a gloat where C3 sees quality -and I do not like gloating from any party. I can almost hear the writer chortling to himself as he crafts the sentences, rather like one of those annoying 6th formers who thinks he's cornered the knowledge market on computer programs.
The sort of chortling triumphalism I'm more used to reading from Tories.

Smart Alec smugness will do the SNP no favours at all and I think such writing damaging rather than the reverse.

As to satire, I cannot see it. References to Sanatogen, support stockings, pace-makers, old dears, decaying flesh, pensioners do not read as funny to me - just rather puerile sneering.

Tories and their ideology are not funny.
But to me, neither is that article.

But I ain't offended.

RecQuery
26-Mar-12, 19:15

The amount of new speak in the budget and politics in general leaves me feeling double-plus annoyed and about to win a game of buzzword bingo.